Truck driver sentenced in Route 9 crash

Truck driver sentenced in Route 9 crash

There are 17 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Jan 29, 2010, titled Truck driver sentenced in Route 9 crash. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

A New Jersey trucker who caused an April 2008 crash on Woodford Mountain that took the lives of three people was sentenced Friday to serve six months in prison.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

vtzzzzz

Middlebury, VT

#1 Jan 30, 2010
So what is the states resposibility in all this??
It amazes me that after the crash the state put up lots of extra signs. But the road still sucks. I drive it everyday I know enough to slow down there and even I have slid on black ice there going UNDER the speed limit.
For god sakes how many more people will have to die there?? The state needs to fix this road.
The guilty party is the state.
Stamford

Stowe, VT

#4 Jan 30, 2010
This sentence has taken a long time. It has brought more heart ache and uncertaintity with each and every court proceeding that the family has had to attend. I feel justice was served to a degree, but inevitably, Middlebusher will return home to his family. He will be home for the holidays and family events sometime soon. We, however, can only pray that through Middlebusher's community service; other truck drivers will take his words to heart , and never inflict this tremendous loss on another family. There is closure to some degree for our family's, but we still grieve and hurt beyond imagination. Jeff, Tom and Paul will always be in our hearts and our thoughts of what should have been.

“Proud American and Vermonter”

Since: Feb 09

Bennington

#5 Jan 30, 2010
vtzzzzz wrote:
So what is the states resposibility in all this??
It amazes me that after the crash the state put up lots of extra signs. But the road still sucks. I drive it everyday I know enough to slow down there and even I have slid on black ice there going UNDER the speed limit.
For god sakes how many more people will have to die there?? The state needs to fix this road.
The guilty party is the state.
And how would you want them to fix this mountain rd, tunnel though it. Because that's the only way to fix it. Yes you can straighten the road, but you're still going to have the steep the grade and you will see people coming down at much faster speeds. How many people travel that road (trucks or cars) 24-7-365 and without incident? As a former truck driver myself, I would like to know what gear he was in before he began his descent.
vtzzzzz

Middlebury, VT

#7 Jan 30, 2010
A tunnel should have been built in the first place. I think a monkey could tell you that. And every spinout does not get reported.
If you have never driven the road. You are in for trouble when you get to the bottom.
Rte. 9 from Bratt. to Bennington is a rough road. The state answer in the winter is to put flashing yellow signs that say " snow covered roads." 24-7 Well welcome to Vermont, most of the roads are snow covered and annoying sign is not going to solve the problem.
No where on this road is even a suggestion that tractor trailer trucks use chains in bad weather or stay off the road. Minimal plowing and snow removel happens. You should see it on a week night with NO PLOWS.
The person who is responsible for this road should not have this job because he SUCKS at it. Extra signs went up AFTER 3 people were killed and there was a second tractor trailer wreck a week later.

Look at Wilmington the road was caving in for years and this guy just ignored it. Maybe try a weight restriction when the problem arose.

Bennington

#8 Jan 30, 2010
vtzzzzz wrote:
A tunnel should have been built in the first place. I think a monkey could tell you that. And every spinout does not get reported.
If you have never driven the road. You are in for trouble when you get to the bottom.
Rte. 9 from Bratt. to Bennington is a rough road. The state answer in the winter is to put flashing yellow signs that say " snow covered roads." 24-7 Well welcome to Vermont, most of the roads are snow covered and annoying sign is not going to solve the problem.
No where on this road is even a suggestion that tractor trailer trucks use chains in bad weather or stay off the road. Minimal plowing and snow removel happens. You should see it on a week night with NO PLOWS.
The person who is responsible for this road should not have this job because he SUCKS at it. Extra signs went up AFTER 3 people were killed and there was a second tractor trailer wreck a week later.
Look at Wilmington the road was caving in for years and this guy just ignored it. Maybe try a weight restriction when the problem arose.
From Brattleboro up over Hogback and from Wilmington to Bennington, I wonder how much it would cost us to tunnel through all that? Not gonna happen cause it's not needed. Respect, that is what RT9 from Bennington to Brattleboro needs to be given. When you do not give it the respect it deserves you run the risk of trouble, or in this case people get killed. Question for ya, with you putting the blame for this wreck on the rd. In you're opinion is Middlebusher responsible for this in any way?
yeah right

Bennington, VT

#10 Jan 30, 2010
How many trucks go over that road everyday and manage to not kill someone? The road is a danger, but a little caution goes a long way.
ANTI-RV RALLY

Bennington, VT

#11 Jan 30, 2010
3 lives lost = 6 months prison term, doesn't seem quite fair to me, each life LOST forever is to this State of Vermont 2 months prison time. Dam, go kill your enemy's their life is only worth 2 months.
Vermonter

Clockville, NY

#12 Jan 30, 2010
I would just like to say the road was not the problem that day. The problem was with the truck driver driving carelessly! People will never know the heartache this put on the family's of the men who lost their lives that day.Women have to raise their young children with no fathers.Mother's lost their sons and women lost their husbands kids lost their fathers and grandfathers.So don't put the blame on the road the blame go's on Middlebusher and driving carelessly.My heart go's out to the family's who lost their loved ones and the children who will never have their daddy's.

Bennington

#13 Jan 30, 2010
ANTI-RV RALLY wrote:
3 lives lost = 6 months prison term, doesn't seem quite fair to me, each life LOST forever is to this State of Vermont 2 months prison time. Dam, go kill your enemy's their life is only worth 2 months.
"Punishment is the primary goal in this case," said Marthage. "Everyone who perished in the crash would still be alive today had Mr. Middlebusher done what the law required of him."

She said that the victims’ families would like to have seen more jail time, but the main desire was the felony conviction. Marthage said that convincing a jury that a felony level offense had occurred was a concern, as Route 9 has garnered a reputation for being dangerous and there was a truck crash that occurred nearby one week after the Middlebusher accident.

I agree he should have got more jail time then he did, but I agree with what Marthage said. Just read some of the comments on here about how many are blaming the road for the wreck. Middlebusher may have gotten off without being convicted of a felony and that would have allowed him to be back behind the wheel of another tt.
redneck

Butler, OH

#15 Jan 30, 2010
ANTI-RV RALLY wrote:
if they don't get you..........that is more risk than two months my friend wecome to vermont.....now go home flatlander!
Vermonter

Clockville, NY

#17 Jan 30, 2010
It was a nice sunny day the road was not the problem. Middelbusher is to blame he didn't downshift or secure his load! Yes the road is known for being bad. The negligence of the driver to properly operate the Trailer truck in a safe and cautious manner. The road on that day was perfectly save if he had downshifted and have a stable load. Middlebusher put risk to the test and lost. Sadly these 3 men and there families paid the price.

Yet this man shows no remorse and nothing but smile and laughter in the court room .
Anonymous

South Hadley, MA

#26 Jan 31, 2010
This is a sad case all around. My heart goes out to "everyone" who was affected.
LSU

Elkridge, MD

#28 Jan 31, 2010
Mark C Santelli wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you using my name?
Mark(RV), where have you been hiding?
LSU

Elkridge, MD

#31 Jan 31, 2010
Mark C Santelli wrote:
<quoted text>
How can I hide with this blob-like physique?
I'm right here. Do you have a set of ranger rick underoos, too?
No Mark, I wear normal mens pajamas to bed and that's where I'm going! Good night Mark(RV).
redneck

Pittsburgh, PA

#34 Jan 31, 2010
Mark C Santelli wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean, like me? I like banjo music!
now mark, you are not a city slicker.im talking about the pretty boy ones in the movie. i an't never seen a city slicker brake a deer's neck like you did many years ago.
redneck

Pittsburgh, PA

#35 Jan 31, 2010
Mark C Santelli wrote:
<quoted text>
I sleep with 'normal' men too!
a hole is a hole i guess. do you make them all pretty first?
shiny penney

New Britain, CT

#36 Feb 1, 2010
I did not see this story because I've been away. The truck driver deserved much more than 6 months in jail. end of story. He alone was responsible for the truck [which he was most definitely taught when he learned how to drive a "big rig"] and that meant securing the load. It meant keeping a reasonable speed for the road. It meant recognizing the powerful machine he was driving and the impact that machine could have on EVERY OTHER DRIVER on the road.If he was unfamiliar with the road, all the more reason to secure the load and practice much caution. I am assuming he was smart enough to see that he was going down hill. Three men are dead. It took nine months for each of their mothers to bring them into this world, if this sentence needed to be calculated in months, then 18 months should have been the deal. This bullshit about trying to convince a jury that bore any responsibility points to those in the state's attorneys office being unmotivated and frankly, rather cavalier about lost lives. This guy should be doing 5 years in my opinion. There are many people who've NEVER taken ONE life, never mind three, doing 18-to-24-month sentences.Wake the hell up

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stamford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man held after allegedly assaulting father Mar 22 DEPUTY DOG 2
News Police: Man masturbating on the side of road (May '16) Mar 20 Hundreds of mill ... 20
News Sen. Sanders meets with high school students in... Mar 19 Billary lost 1
News Celtic music for St. Patrick's Day Mar 17 Bonehead Brad UVMMC 2
News Jude Fitzgerald faces charges Mar 12 Sherrif fife 2
News Revitalizing downtown neighborhoods Mar 10 Libhater 8
News Police: Nine arrested for selling heroin Mar 4 Celebrate Diversity 17

Stamford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stamford Mortgages