State says 'stars aligned' for multip...

State says 'stars aligned' for multiple Route 9 accidents

There are 59 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Apr 25, 2008, titled State says 'stars aligned' for multiple Route 9 accidents. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

Five tractor-trailers have crashed on Woodford Mountain in the past two years, including two in the past week, but state officials say there is nothing wrong with the steep, winding road.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
joe

Mount Holly, VT

#44 Jul 24, 2008
you pointed out why without a union senority list it's hopeless to expect to earn a decent living running legal while competing for wages against all the dispatchers hero's.
Either be a good team player or get hammered by dispatch.

Now who is to blame for the system, some starving guy down on his luck that just took a two week crash course in offensive driving at Acme truck driving school or the career criminals who won't put a stop to the madness ?
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#45 Jul 24, 2008
That is a figment of your imagination the union senority list...the non union shops more depend on senority than the union shops. The shop bulls.

So you want me to pity a starving man who will work for $2.50 an hour...who would displace my $20.00 and hour job?
joe

Mount Holly, VT

#46 Jul 24, 2008
Mike Mulligan wrote:
That is a figment of your imagination the union senority list...the non union shops more depend on senority than the union shops. The shop bulls.
So you want me to pity a starving man who will work for $2.50 an hour...who would displace my $20.00 and hour job?
If I got what you're saying right I think you are wrong to believe a 10 year driver at a non-union company gets to cherry pick anything. The drivers want people to believe sticking around pays off, so they lie their big butts off to not look like chumps and pretend they have some dedicated cherry run.

I don't expect anyone to pity anyone. The fact is companies wil sign on more drivers than they can run and don't want too many staying around to make it to the top of the wage scale when their profit margine would vanish it most drivers stayed around too long.

schneider changes the dispatch system every 2 or 3 years to run off people who get confortable with the system.

mid 90's JB hired people in at .37cpm and they topped out at .41cpm, once the recession of 2000 hit they started hiring people at .32cpm and managed to run off most of the drivers they hired in the 90's.

union outfits like ABF have a million mile driver list at their website, Scneider and JB's lists don't even come close because not many people last 1 million miles working for them or about the 8 years it would take to get 1 million miles if the gomers actually got some miles out of them.
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#47 Jul 24, 2008
I sat many hours outside the Alabama railway yard with JB at 42 cpm waiting for the erratic delivery of the trailers from the trains and not getting paid. Then you would get short hauls and back to waiting for another trailer.JB went to rail modal and shorter runs.

United Natural Foods had a strict seniority list...and they wanted the younger drivers to know that they will get cherry runs if they stick around....and decent working hours.

These smaller firms sometimes have these old bulls with cherry runs that has been with them for forever.
joe

Mount Holly, VT

#48 Jul 25, 2008
United is a different opperation than JB Hunt. United has a fixed work location and has to actually worry about the drivers going union if they dump on them too much.

The nationwide truckload carriers are a different beast than local work. The problem is the JB Hunts of the world are taking over some of the distribution jobs and have ruined many of them also.

A guy told me he tried working for JB hauling groceries out of a warehouse in springfield mass and it paid .29cpm. He assumed the extra's would add up and found out it was a hobby job for a few dozen guys and there was no way to make a decent weeks pay. They where only able to cover all the loads by using long haul drivers and telling them there was no loads leaving new england, but they had some local work to keep them busy until something came up to get them out of here.

Just the threat of a company like United out sourcing the work gives them leverage against the drivers.

On one side of United is management has to worry about the drivers going union and on the other side is the drivers having to worry about management getting rid of the in house fleet and putting the work out to contract or closing down the DC and trucking the stuff in from someplace else. The old bulls aren't going to rock the boat as long as they have theirs. The chance of it being worthwhile for a bottom feeder is slim because by the time they work their way up the job will have gone to hell.

a retired Yellow Freight driver posted on the internet he had a good 30 plus years, but wouldn't even consider starting out today because paying your dues today is nothing like it was when he started decades ago and there was little chance anyone would make out like he did.

Shop steward at my last job was trying to tell me to hang in there, the job was good to him. Owns a nice house, put two kids threw college and can cash in on his pension anyday he feels like it. I asked him to put himslef in young Vito's shoe's, big mortgage, 2 preschoolers at home, took the guy 1 second to admit the job went to hell and Vito needs to get the hell out of trucking.In a flash he could see he would be screwed trying to make it today off the job.

We where taking home like $600 a week, Vito was fixing computers on the side so effectively breaking the law to make it because he should have been logging his side job. If he accounted for those hours, he wouldn't have been able to truck also.

Shop-Rite, Stop & Shop have closed down warehouses and transfered the work to other locations to bust the unions in the warehouses and the trucks. I'm enjoying knowing they are now paying big bucks for fuel to truck the stuff from like 100 miles outside the NY,NJ,CT metro area after closing down the metro area warehouses and moving the work to the sticks.

The whole industry is going downhill.
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#49 Jul 26, 2008
29 cpm....you’d get more calories for food begging. Remember United is a high margin product....but the organic industry is having ethical problems and the food is just getting too expensive. Don’t forget Wal-Mart is beginning to compete against them.

United had rider taking care of their trucks...they purchased the truck through a long term maintenance contract. They used Penski also. JB and Schneider generally used their own shop and subcontracted little maintenance out. We had issues the executives making these cut rate maintenance contracts...an almost completely different arm than transportation...where then the whole operation would end up starving for maintenance. The maintenance shop guys were always complaining about being overworked. We had issues with getting professional diesel mechanics...a good diesel mechanic is very difficult to get and they are now treated like they are princes in the big cities. The Ryder mechanics complained about not being about to keep enough spare parts on hand...a pointy-headed cost savings wet dream...they had to UPS spare parts and that would led to a truck shortage. JB would generally replace their trucks every 3 or 4 years...so they didn’t have as much trouble with maintenance. United maintained some of the oldest trucks in the fleet...thus we had a lot of breakdowns. We had huge issues with the hydraulic lift-gates breaking down. The whole thing with old refers units and liquid ice cream and hydraulic...we were always in the shop. I had troubles with the trailer brakes consistently not working. They had issues with the trucks being parked on a hill and the parking brakes being applied...where the brakes would just mysteriously release. I put some pressure on them and we then got mostly new trailers.

We had a lot of rent-a drivers. They had issues with getting drivers up in this region. We complained that they were getting better compensation than us. Never understood it...these guys ended up being very expensive for United.
I’d say 60% of my stops I didn’t use a dock...I hand unloaded right off the street. That is very dangerous work. I do about 6 to 8 stops a day...they generally were many miles apart...this would be very difficult work for a typical JB driver. We did a lot of work in the big cities and NYC, Boston...this would eat the drivers and truck up for JB. I don’t think the typical JB driver would be skilled enough. Remember we delivered refrigerated stuff...high end produce and milk products...this stuff didn’t have the typical shelf life as a supermarket...most of the mom and pop shops didn’t have much of a warehouse or storage. It was just in time ordering.
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#50 Jul 26, 2008
(Continued)
I was startled with the magnitude of United’s customer complaints....most of their customers bitterly hated United. The never could get in touch with their arrogant customer service representatives. The theme was from the customers across the board...if there was somebody else we could purchase this stuff from we would never do business with United again. I even heard some United big wigs talking about being terrified that they didn’t have any competition to keep everyone straight...they would generally just purchase their competition.

These guys were so behind the times with technology...we spent so must time running around in circles being lost and doing excess mileage. I told them they should invest personal GPS devices and driver lap tops...we spent many night in hotels and they all had connections the internet. I imagined we could look over our routes on the internet...had a host of differant ways in order to get to a locations...could look at the routes of the last driver....best routes and alternate routes. They should have the GPS map system up on their main frame and available for the driver. The guy in charge of our routes...he lived in the stone age and only used pencils.

Most of our trucks had only cabs...we had no sleepers....we needed a lot of maneuverable in the cities. I think JB would have troubles with that.
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#51 Jul 26, 2008
United had an atrocious accident rate. The example would be a driver coming into “pick-up” a load and then falling asleep at the wheel with in an hour of coming into work...with the whole unit tipping over. We had two of these events within an a month. Surprisingly the employees tell me of a DOT inspection just after I left United...they say there was wide spread changes that occurred.

Webster and United...they are all run-a-way companies...all of their managers are interbred. Webster has a terrible accident rate too and extreme turnover of employees.
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#52 Jul 26, 2008
Remember the transportation and trucking industry is one of the most powerful special interest nation wide and in Washington...in your state capitals. Generally the newspapers are afraid to identify trucking companies in accidents....they are terrified of this interest.

Working with United...I investigated trucking accident reports to the states and the feds. All of the accident statistics are extremely inaccurate...per the GAO. Surely most of the accident are not reported by the companies to the feds and state DOT...the state police and the municipalities generally don’t have the funding to pass on the truck accidents to the state DOT and federal...the simple in field accident investigation...this opaqueness is purchased by trucking campaign contributions.

The trucking industry is an extraordinary powerful special interest.
joe

Mount Holly, VT

#53 Jul 26, 2008
http://www.nitl.org/mission.htm

look through the list of members, they got some serious power in this country.

I know JB Hunt type drivers couldn't do multiple stop runs, been flat out called a liar when I had a truckload with 5 or so stops and called in like at noon empty. Dispatch put me on hold one time and called the last stop I was at, I heard the guy answer the phone and say " your driver is right here " than my dispatcher gets back on the line with me.
joe

Mount Holly, VT

#54 Jul 26, 2008
The NITL pays the nations freight bills and with millions of drivers screwing them out of half their wages is billions of dollars.

I'm amazed they haven't put yellow/roadway/new penn under yet.
Home Depot & wal-mart are a good percentage of the yellow/roadway/new penn corporations business and one of these days they will yank the freight away from that company which now accounts for most of the union members left besides ABF so they can kill off union influance in the industry.

wait until after the election, legalize 20 million mexicans so they can get drivers licenses and call them o/o's in Hino's under 26,000 pounds so they don't need CDL's and they will do the city work and like Conway bought out CFI they will have the mobil homeless do the linehaul works for .32cpm 2 mexicans in a sleeper truck doing the linehaul

congress will probably allow big,longer,heavier trucks also.
joe

Mount Holly, VT

#55 Jul 26, 2008
joe

Mount Holly, VT

#56 Jul 26, 2008
http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SafeStat/CarrierOverv...

I only found the dayville ct location, but they all might be opperating under that DOT number
Mike Mulligan

Pittsfield, ME

#57 Jul 26, 2008
joe wrote:
http://www.nitl.org/mission.ht m
look through the list of members, they got some serious power in this country.
I know JB Hunt type drivers couldn't do multiple stop runs, been flat out called a liar when I had a truckload with 5 or so stops and called in like at noon empty. Dispatch put me on hold one time and called the last stop I was at, I heard the guy answer the phone and say " your driver is right here " than my dispatcher gets back on the line with me.
Yikes…they got the power to bend all of government. Joe, I am learning a heck of a lot from you. All I live for is information and education?

I’d found a coffee shop and read a newspaper if I unloaded that early. How early did you start your day?

If only the truck drivers would vote as a block…what could the politicians offer them?
Mike Mulligan

Pittsfield, ME

#58 Jul 26, 2008
joe wrote:
http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SafeSt at/SafeStatMain.asp?PageN=resu lts
the crash records are online
Did you notice they had 50% more accidents this year from last...14 crashes to 21 crashed...and one fatality. They have gone in the unsafe direction....half of the data is missing and I still don't trust it.

Dayville is the corporate head quarters.
joe

Bridgewater Corners, VT

#59 Jul 27, 2008
there is some dollar amount to make a accident reportable to the DOT. Than it still depends on the report making it to DC and being put in the computer under the right carriers DOT number by some uncaring government slug.

safety wise stop & shop's union drivers compared to Brattleboro Haulage is amazing, it is like comparing 60 year old car drivers to 16 year old car drivers.
Same deal comparing the big trucklaod carriers to the union less than truckload carriers.
The union differance does matter.

The liberal freaks rant about Bush saving the people of Iraq from a madman and costing US military people their lives and not a peep out of them about the 6,000 dying every year over loads of cheerio's and other garbage. I guess if a guy gets in a army vehicle it's reason to have a hysterical meltdown if he dies, but nothing to be concerned about if he dies after he gets dicharged and takes a job driving a truck because a load of consumer junk just has to be there first thing in the morning or Toyota is too cheap to keep an extra few hours of parts on hand in case some driver needs to pull over and catch a short nap.

A young minority male is actually safer in the military than living in Chicago, he doesn't have gang bangers & cops hunting him, his odds are better odds in the military.

I only worked local for 3 years and did over 11 running 48 states, most of the local was vampire shift, did a few months with a 5am start time or worse if some moron screwed up and somebody in a panic wanted to see the truck at thier door at 5 or 6 am in NJ.

What I saw drivers do at 3 and 4am was unreal.
joe

Bridgewater Corners, VT

#60 Jul 27, 2008
vote

for who, the democraps who deregulated the industry and screwed them or the republicans who are also in the pockets of big business ?

It don't matter if they vote or not as long as they aren't part of a group like the teamsters they won't have power in numbers
joe

Bridgewater Corners, VT

#61 Jul 27, 2008
Mike Mulligan wrote:
<quoted text>
I am learning a heck of a lot from you. All I live for is information and education?
www.patt.org

I learned enough to see trucking was hopeless just like the people who started PATT after their kids got killed by a wal-mart truck gave up trying to get people to change the system of madness.

Behind almost every truck wreck is some educated moron and evil CEO pushing the drivers all in the name of the almighty dollar while political pressure is put on the regulators to just put on a dog & pony show about safety.

Makes good headlines the DMV inspected 1000 trucks in a crackdown and nailed them for all sorts of violations, but the media won't dig any deeper like how many of the violations where thrown out of court and just nonsense like a burned out license plate light.

It doesn't address the cause of accidents, 99% driver error or the fact many of the crashes involving cars and trucks could have been prevented by the truck driver even though he/she/it wasn't legally at fault and charged with the wreck. If they actually comprehended what defensive driving ment a lot of the wrecks wouldn't happen.

as people have said america wouldn't tolerate a plane load of 100 people dying a week, but trucking slaughters that many people every week year after year.

while 50,000 died in vietnam, more died in truck wrecks during those same years.

The american trucking association uses statistics to twist the truth. Reality is trucking hasn't gotten safer per mile, the number of reported miles has gone up because the government got better at getting the companies to honestly report the miles they run, while the safety improvements built into roads are keeping the slaughter from rising. More miles a limited access 4 lane highways, more miles of center barriers to stop crossover head on wrecks,anti lock breaks, better mirrors and other stuff.

Put todays truck aimers in the trucks of 25 years ago on the roads of 25 years ago and the slaughter would be unreal. The morons are rolling wrecks looking for a time & place to happen.

Overall the recent truck driving school graduates bump into stuff and the big wrecks are caused by people between 3 & 7 years of experiance, over confidence takes over and their fear vanishes.

The conditions in the industry chase off the good people, some right away and others stick around long enough to become real drivers, but are looking for the exit and take it first chance they get.
joe

Bridgewater Corners, VT

#62 Jul 27, 2008
http://www.patt.org/Three_Fatal_Accidents.php

Three headline-making fatal truck accidents occurred in a 15-hour period this week, killing 19 people, though one accident may have been caused by a four-wheeler.

A wreck Jan. 25 killed seven children in Florida. A few hours later in Illinois, a wreck killed two adults and three children, plus the driver of the big rig. The next morning, a wreck killed six people in Texas.
http://bulktransporter.com/news/sandbert43/

Sandberg resigned within hours.

She replaced Joe Clapp a former CEO of Roadway, they put the fox in charge of the hen house, than found sandberg who dropped the ball as head of the washington state police during the WTO riots. She was nothing more than a quota employee run up threw the ranks of the state police for show and than a quota appointee by Bush who rubber stamped Joe Clapps corrupt change to the hours of service so truckers could work more hours and after he had it all set up they put Sandberg in charge to rubber stamp what trucking wanted.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stamford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Elmer Roy Moore Fudd 16 hr Markey Fife 23
Poll What type of town is Bennington (Sep '13) Tue Christopher 344
News Our View: Woodford wise to revote on Act 46 Dec 11 Sherif Fife 1
News DNA evidence still under review in murder case Dec 10 Sherrif fife 2
News United Way of Bennington County joins global #G... Dec 8 Typical Renter 2
News Man admits to sending lewd photos to teens Dec 6 Paul Kersey 2
Forkeys Dec 5 Ozzie King Of Zyl... 7

Stamford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance