State says 'stars aligned' for multip...

State says 'stars aligned' for multiple Route 9 accidents

There are 59 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Apr 25, 2008, titled State says 'stars aligned' for multiple Route 9 accidents. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

Five tractor-trailers have crashed on Woodford Mountain in the past two years, including two in the past week, but state officials say there is nothing wrong with the steep, winding road.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Bennington

New Britain, CT

#1 Apr 25, 2008
I drive rt9 from bennington to brattleboro every day, and in the last month alone I have only seen a DMV truck ONCE! and a state trooper Once. Not only is there a lack of patrolling on rt9, but I also have met numerous truck drivers over the yellow line and had to move to the very edge of the road to avoid them! I alos have never seen any truck being inspected in the time I have traveled rt9.....which would be my entire life of being a vermont resident!
joe

Springfield, VT

#2 Apr 25, 2008
what differance would it make if the DMV inspected more trucks when the industry has been run into the ground because the government flooded it with cheap labor by using it as a dumping ground for the unemployed threw job training programs ?

It's no longer a job people want, it's become a job of last resort for people who can't do nothing else. The trucking companies now scrap the bottom of the blue collar labor barrle for employee's because wages and working conditions have deteriorated so much not many stay at it long enough to gain much skill at it. They either wash out after wrecking or get feed up with the job and quit than get replaced by the next government funded replacement who has no clue what they are doing.
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#3 Apr 25, 2008
Waite a minute...I hauled those big paper roles. The drivers don’t have any control with putting those rolls in a trailer. If he said, I want those rolls contained securely within the trailer, he would get the load. A driver has no choice. They usually nail 2x4’s or bigger to the trailer floors...but if the rolls shift into the nailed boards...you end up damaging a lot of paper on the roles. I do believe it’s a DOT requirement that these roll loads are properly contained within trailer.

The trucking industry maintains a tremendous political influence within the states. It is a political juggernaught. You can see it’s influence with always blaming the driver...never confronting the wrongdoing of the companies involved. We see it at this big companies...Fraser paper or the real owners of the trucks are nickel and diming the driver. The political campaign contribution and Montpelier insider relationship ganged up on the powerless driver...while the corporation are absolved for any responsibility of a death, injury or accident.
joe

Springfield, VT

#4 Apr 30, 2008
I also hauled them all the time.

You sound like most truck drivers, it's somebody else fault truck drivers work without union work rules to protect them from management demands.

The drivers aren't powerless, they refuse to join together to look out for their own good.
Mahatma Kane Jeeves

West Springfield, MA

#5 Jul 16, 2008
Mike Mulligan wrote:
Waite a minute...I hauled those big paper roles. The drivers don’t have any control with putting those rolls in a trailer. If he said, I want those rolls contained securely within the trailer, he would get the load. A driver has no choice. They usually nail 2x4’s or bigger to the trailer floors...but if the rolls shift into the nailed boards...you end up damaging a lot of paper on the roles. I do believe it’s a DOT requirement that these roll loads are properly contained within trailer.
The trucking industry maintains a tremendous political influence within the states. It is a political juggernaught. You can see it’s influence with always blaming the driver...never confronting the wrongdoing of the companies involved. We see it at this big companies...Fraser paper or the real owners of the trucks are nickel and diming the driver. The political campaign contribution and Montpelier insider relationship ganged up on the powerless driver...while the corporation are absolved for any responsibility of a death, injury or accident.
Make sense man!!
Elmer Fudd

Adrian, MI

#6 Jul 16, 2008
Mike Mulligan wrote:
Midas, as a truck driver, you must know that DOT requirements state that the DRIVER is entirely and completely responsible for the load on any truck he is driving.

How is this not the case here?
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#8 Jul 17, 2008
The typical theme would be, youd say I want that load nailed down better, where the manufacturing plant employees will tell you Ive never heard such a thing....get lost. Then youd go back to the dispatcher telling him the story...he say I getting you a new load right. Right you getting paid by miles. Next thing you know the dispatcher hasnt given you a load in 2 days and you wasted two days sleeping in your truck by yourselves. How about the trailers are on a unmanned lot...where you got no way to control the loads. How about you got a seal on the back of the door...and you arent allowed to break the seal.

I had issues with the slack adjusters....the trailer brakes would never work or provide braking pressure. It happened all the time and the company would just adjust the slack adjusters. I didnt think this was right and I complained to the NTSB. The NTSB came out with a national emergency bulletin saying dont adjust slack adjusters, it very dangerous...cause something caused that brake to come out of adjustment and you havent found out whats wrong with it. If you adjusted the brakes too often you can damage the slack adjuster for good...and anyways with a damaged slack adjuster your brake would come right out of adjustment.

I worked for a company for about 6 months...English...where they had a 95% turnover of drivers a year.

Again thats campaign contribution and deregulation that pushed the focused into always blaming the powerless driver. I once had a dispatcher teach me how to falsify my comic book...my drivers log book.
joe

Hartland, VT

#9 Jul 18, 2008
The driver isn't powerless, they can quit the industry. The problem is lots of diehard career idiots stay and put up with it so there is little the malcontent can do but quit the industry.
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#10 Jul 18, 2008
You know what i have been asking for years now..."where did all the good people go"?

We are a nation of quiters aren't we?

I never quit a job...I am not a quiter...they are just going to have to fire me!
joe

Hartland, VT

#11 Jul 19, 2008
I surrendered because I was outnumbered by idiots a million to one and didn't think it was worth dying over.
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#12 Jul 19, 2008
If you are a truck driver...or were...you are automatically my brother. Not many people understand what a difficult job a truck driver performs.
joe

Hartland, VT

#13 Jul 19, 2008
Mike Mulligan wrote:
If you are a truck driver...or were...you are automatically my brother. Not many people understand what a difficult job a truck driver performs.
I drove a truck, I was never a TRUCK DRIVER.

It was the easiest job in the world, sit on butt and look out window and aim the machine down the road, apply brakes when needed.

I liked driving a truck, I hated the trucking industry ( management,shippers,receivers, regulators) and most of the knuckle dragging apes in it called TRUCK DRIVERS.
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#14 Jul 19, 2008
I spent a lot of time delivering directly off the road in NYC driving a tractor trailer....it was a very difficult job. I see most drivers as very hard working individuals. I generally spent two or three days by my self, stop by stop... hand unloading the whole trailer. I bet you of the trailer I would have to haul the merchandise up 3 to 5 stairs.

I was constantly traveling from Pennsylvania to Bar Harbor Maine and in-between...5 to 8 separate stops a day...half of the time it was a brand new stop and address. It was no job for a dummy...you couldnt survive it being stupid.
joe

Hartland, VT

#15 Jul 19, 2008
so you drove a handtruck and know most truck drivers couldn't even do what you did because they are too stupid as was evident daily down NYC with trucks on the parkways where they don't belong and jacknifed all over the place every time it rained.

I did the 7 stops on the island or 4 in the city or 7 in NJ deal and heard the long haul redneck hero's crying like little babies they where lost and begging for help on the CB.

nothing worse on the roads around the northeast than brattleboro haulage and the rest of those outfits run by DeSilva hauling out of C&S warehouses.
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#16 Jul 19, 2008
I worked for United natural food over there in Chesterfield. They beat the crap out of their drivers.

I agree with you completely with C&S. It's to bad we can't get a teamsters office up here.
joe

Hartland, VT

#17 Jul 19, 2008
teamsters are just about powerless because so many idiots will kill themselves for pennies and see nothing wrong with it.

everyone complains, but start talking union and they want nothing to do with it.

those handtruck jobs should be two men on the truck and a 3 or 4 day workweek considering the hours worked in a few days.

30 years ago trucking had nearly it's pick of the blue collar labor force and now they aren't scrapping the bottom of the barrel, they are looking under the barrel for slugs.
Mike Mulligan

Pittsfield, ME

#18 Jul 19, 2008
Well joe, hand trucks and hand pallet jacks...a lot of hand trucksa few electric pallet jacks.

There just needs to be a counter weight to the power of these companies especially when safety is involved. I dont see anything but the reformed unions, such as the Teamsters on the horizon.believe I understand the faults with the unions. I wish I was perfect with all my experience with screwing up...but I am far from it. I am almost a safety expertand I still do unsafe things.

It all around us...they really de leverage us with deregulation and importation from the third world.

I see all these new environment, energy and green job...they are nothing but dressed up wal-mart jobs run by Liberals. I learned about what sustainability is from Wal-Mart training...it's fundamentally about human justice.
joe

Killington, VT

#19 Jul 20, 2008
last company I worked for was union, in house private fleet delivering their own product. Place really sucked and would have been even worse without the union protecting the drivers. Tyrants to work for sums up management at the place, the drivers didn't need a union, they had to have one out of self defense.

If all drivers had jumped on the GREEN bandwagon and pushed to get rid of the sleeper trucks it would be a start to re-organizing the industry. As long as the mobil homeless migrant workers in sleeper trucks can wander the country looking for work and camp out in migrant worker camp grounds called rest areas & truckstops, there is little chance of organizing the drivers.

The big trucking companies are nothing more than day labor job services, forhire day labor with a truck.

All that is going on is some guy from Alabama hauls a load into like say a distribution center in the northeast, than dispatch rents him out to anyone hiring for the day.

Midwest flatlander computer boy in dispatch tells the driver to take route 9 to save some miles instead of going down I-91 to I-90 to head west because according to his computer it's 47 miles shorter.Kid graduated college and thinks working in dispatch is like a video game.

Now add in big rolls of paper and most likely some displaced worker who turned to trucking out of desperation who has little experiance and route 9 is a accident in the making for some over worked,underpaid sleep deprived driver.

It's not like the drivers are local men dealing with dispatch in a local terminal, so there is little chance of anyone saying no route 9 to albany when the Georgia Pacific Papermill in Brattleboro is hiring migrant workers to move their product.

The liberals and their job retraining funding & student loans for truck driver training keeps the industry flooded with cheap labor causing a revolving door effect an a high percentage of the industry to have little experiance.

Somebody can talk until they are blue in the face to people about trucking, but most have a preconceived notion of the industry that the whole thing runs like UPS where local drivers pickup freight and take it to the terminal and than another driver hauls it to another terminal and heads back to his home terminal or like making a run to florida or CA or someplace is like hopping in the family car for a vacation trip.

Most people quit real fast because they thought they knew what they where getting into and once they got into it found out it was nothing like what they thought. Now if all the people who put some thought into taking a job as a truck driver where so wrong, how can anyone get somebody involved in making the rules to see the real picture ?

It's hopeless as long as people can live in sleeper trucks and the government funding for training keeps flowing.
joe

Springfield, VT

#21 Jul 21, 2008
dave wrote:
i drove a truck for 4 months. worst freakin job i've ever had. drive half a day to deliver a load and when you get there, you have to unload it for them?? no way jose.
I am the DRIVER. I bring YOUR load to YOU. here I am, heres YOUR load. YOU unload it.
If drivers where on the clock and earning a decent rate per hour, nobody would want to be paying a man that much an hour to handle freight, there would be a unloading CREW to get the stuff off real quick so the driver would get right back to doing what he/she/it is being paid a high hourly rate to do, that is drive, not handle freight.

If drivers bagged the unloading and actually logged the true unloading time to burn upo their hours, that would also give the trucking companies an incentive to reduce unloading time to keep their equipment productivity up.

The morons spend 10 hours screwing around at a wal-mart warehouse and log it as a rest period so there is no real lost productivity for the truck

log 70 hours a week, work 100 hours and get paid for 40 hours is about what the job comes down to and most of the morons defend their own stupidity of taking part in the scam.
dean

North Stonington, CT

#22 Jul 21, 2008
Mike you are not making sense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stamford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Local man arraigned on drug charges (Oct '08) Apr 22 Elmer 20
Poll What type of town is Bennington (Sep '13) Apr 20 DEPUTY DOG 342
News Up to 10 years for man caught with 600 bags of ... Apr 17 U R Brainless 3
News Principal charged with not reporting suspected ... (May '10) Apr 14 Hundreds of mill ... 25
News Major investors in Putnam Block project see it ... Apr 9 Enforcer 3
News Discovery conference delayed in murder case Apr 2 Judge Roy Bean 1
News Man held after allegedly assaulting father Mar '17 DEPUTY DOG 2

Stamford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stamford Mortgages