State has rehired 500 retired state w...

State has rehired 500 retired state workers

There are 58 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Sep 23, 2009, titled State has rehired 500 retired state workers. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

Records show that hundreds of Connecticut state workers who took retirement incentive packages in June and July are back on the state payroll and getting their pension checks too.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
GEO

United States

#1 Sep 23, 2009
The State of Connecticut has no Shame. When will the private sector be unable to finance the Govt?
Teed Off

Elizabeth, NJ

#2 Sep 23, 2009
This double dipping has got to stop. How does this help the state with its budget deficit? At what salary are they re-hired? Do they receive extra benefits? If their services are needed, they should be working at minimum wage. Only then will the state be saving money for the taxpayers.
Dump Rell

Dover, NJ

#3 Sep 23, 2009
Stupidity at its best.Why offer retirement bonuses and hire them back?
Hot Soup

Elizabeth, NJ

#4 Sep 23, 2009
The State realize that it's cheaper to rehire this people than to train new ones.a clever idea that's going to save money on health insurance.
Ct Su-cks

Ronkonkoma, NY

#5 Sep 23, 2009
Are you kidding me ? rehire retiree's that have money up their azz already from their pension's and health benefit's and I'm out a job with no 13 weeks we all should have gotten , oh it's rally time coming !!!!!!!!
the savings

Montville, NJ

#6 Sep 23, 2009
If the State needs the help, they're going to hire people. Rehiring the retirees saves money by not having to train new employees, and the retirees probably have medical insurance in their pensions, so the State doesn't have to provide it like they would with a new employee.
Ct Su-cks wrote:
Are you kidding me ? rehire retiree's that have money up their **** already from their pension's and health benefit's and I'm out a job with no 13 weeks we all should have gotten , oh it's rally time coming !!!!!!!!
13 weeks? You should start paying attention!!!!!!!!
Tony a

Shelton, CT

#7 Sep 23, 2009
I vote repulican, but it might be time for a change.
Surprised

White Plains, NY

#8 Sep 23, 2009
Im not!
In politics there are so many promises yet so few of them are ever kept!
Most of the retirees were career employees whom did very little to earn their salary! Now they are back to chat about what they are doing during their retirement and collect MORE money. SWEET DEAL FOR THEM!!!
The Vigilante

AOL

#9 Sep 23, 2009
A perfect example of government malfeasance. If you hire back retired employee, the retirement package needs to be repaid. And...are you telling me there aren't capable employable people out there who are looking for work who are young and energetic? OK to rehire where there is a need for experience, but it certainly sounds like political cronyism to me.
TERM LIMITS at all levels of government!!!
JAKE

New Rochelle, NY

#11 Sep 23, 2009
Here is a novel idea. How about the state hire 400 of the 8.4% that are unemployed in Connecticut.
They would be hired at,
1- alot less pay.
2- Would be off the unemployment rolls saving the taxpayers unemployment compensation.
I guess that just makes to much sense.
Perhaps another 'deal' the House Democrats made with the unions for their support at election time.
Welcome to the wonderful state of corrupticut.
Where few do 'very well' at the expense of many.
JAKE

New Rochelle, NY

#12 Sep 23, 2009
We are loosing our homes and these guys are double dipping. Shameful.
the savings

Montville, NJ

#13 Sep 23, 2009
What sweeping generalizations about the retirees! I could say the same about all you lazy, good for nothing pantloads! It wouldn't necessarily be true, but I could say it.

The State is saving money by doing this & you people are arguing against it. I'll bet a lot of these workers retired before they were truly ready, in an effort to save the jobs of newer employees.
Nonsense As Usual

Hartford, CT

#14 Sep 23, 2009
JAKE wrote:
Here is a novel idea. How about the state hire 400 of the 8.4% that are unemployed in Connecticut.
They would be hired at,
1- alot less pay.
2- Would be off the unemployment rolls saving the taxpayers unemployment compensation.
Perhaps another 'deal' the House Democrats made with the unions for their support at election time.
Jake, if you blame the Democrats, you also have to blame the Republicans. This loophole has been going on for time and memorial. This policy needs to be revised to reflect the realities of the job market and our economic times. It's too bad the focus is on partisan fighting rather than sensible economic policy that will lead to growth in our stagnating state.

Since: Jul 08

Morris, CT

#15 Sep 23, 2009
JAKE wrote:
They would be hired at,
1- alot less pay.
Umm...Jake? According to the CT DOL it's only 8.1%.

If it were 8.4%, 12,000 CT unemployed workers would still be receiving benefits.
hopes that helps

Farmington, CT

#16 Sep 23, 2009
I'm glad the change helped!
Mike G

Morristown, NJ

#17 Sep 23, 2009
DISGUSTING
Vox Pop

Durham, CT

#18 Sep 23, 2009
A little analysis would be helpful.

Of the re-hires, how many have expertise the State still needs? At a net cost reduction?
The DOT, for example, was worse-off a few years ago when so many people took retirement incentives that it virtually lost its ability to function.(Not that I think it has ever run that well.)
Point being, some of these re-hires could be very justifiable, and some could be prue cronyism. A better case-by-case look is needed here.
HOPESTHATHELPS

Farmington, CT

#19 Sep 23, 2009
Vox Pop wrote:
A little analysis would be helpful.
Of the re-hires, how many have expertise the State still needs? At a net cost reduction?
The DOT, for example, was worse-off a few years ago when so many people took retirement incentives that it virtually lost its ability to function.(Not that I think it has ever run that well.)
Point being, some of these re-hires could be very justifiable, and some could be prue cronyism. A better case-by-case look is needed here.
The cases of ACORN.
Burned Again

Ronkonkoma, NY

#20 Sep 23, 2009
Thank you Jodi Rell for doing nothing for CURRENT people not working and that were not able to get the extension because of your sorry azz , it was all planned we know your deal now , you gave back jobs after you paid them to leave , you are a self-centered bi tch !
44concernedcitiz ens

AOL

#23 Sep 23, 2009
Blame the politicians is right! THEIR benefit package when they retire is sinful, and the only way it will change is when people like you and I continually protest it.

The problem with state retirees is the state does not plan ahead for retirees positions, and have someone groomed and trained if it is such a position that they can't train someone immediately. If they DO rehire them (to train someone for a short time: 3 to 6 months)it would be more acceptable.

However, for others, freeze their retirement benefits, other than the medical ones that they utilized when working.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stamford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Christine Zampedri arrest. (Photo): Office of t... Sat 1 honest hard worker 1
News Housing authority director out (Jan '09) Aug 23 ffctguitar 35
George W. Bush Helped Create ISIS (Nov '15) Aug 19 BPT 9
News Kissel driver pleads guilty to attempted murder Aug 17 BPT 3
News Stamford High grad pushes for equality - in lit... Aug 15 Oh No You Di-nt 1
News Looking back on Greeniwch primary shocker 10 ye... Aug 14 mar 1
News Restored From Storm Sandy Damage, Penfield Reef... Aug 6 BPT 11

Stamford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stamford Mortgages