Griffin Ford to close - Greenwich Time

Griffin Ford to close - Greenwich Time

There are 17 comments on the Greenwich Time story from Jan 28, 2009, titled Griffin Ford to close - Greenwich Time. In it, Greenwich Time reports that:

After a half-century as a landmark on Forest Street, Griffin Ford of New Canaan will close its doors in two weeks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Greenwich Time.

really

New York, NY

#1 Jan 28, 2009
fords are bad cars
Gordon Shumway

North Brunswick, NJ

#2 Jan 28, 2009
really wrote:
fords are bad cars
Absolutely un-called for in light of the current economy. The future of the Big 3 is critical the the future of this country economically as well as strategically.
really

New York, NY

#3 Jan 28, 2009
they still are bad cars. I had a a taures and a explorer and they where nothing but problems that i had to pay for. I am glad they closed
Stamford Stinks Number 1

Parsippany, NJ

#4 Jan 28, 2009
Gordon Shumway wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely un-called for in light of the current economy. The future of the Big 3 is critical the the future of this country economically as well as strategically.
The "big 3" dug their own grave.
Gordon Shumway

North Brunswick, NJ

#5 Jan 28, 2009
Stamford Stinks Number 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The "big 3" dug their own grave.
And your comments help how?
Mike G

Morristown, NJ

#6 Jan 28, 2009
Gordon, the big 3 are far less critical to this country than our politicians and the auto company CEOs suggest. I'm not saying I want them to fail, but if they do fail, analysts need to little more than read the comments from "really" and "Stamford stinks" to understand the problem. The big 3 made bad products for decades, and they did dig their own graves. Management and the unions are both responsible, and I hardly think the taxpayer needs to come to the rescue of companies that were struggling even during the strong economy years of 2002-2006.
If the big 3 did fail, the vacuum would be filled by others. Most likely, the vacuum would be filled by the same "big 3," vastly improved through long-delayed bankruptcy reorgs.
Vox Pop

Bloomfield, CT

#7 Jan 28, 2009
There's nothing like a week-old story. That's sad enough.
But, among the "big 3," Ford seems to be the most healthy, it's not asking Uncle Sam for any bail-out money, and its sales have been climbing.
Perhaps some sales volume/performance demands were made by Detroit?
Nascar jailbait

Shelton, CT

#8 Jan 28, 2009
I like some of the Fords but my next car will be a hybrid. A real hybrid (not an SUV) getting real gas mileage. If Ford can provide me with an option I would consider it. But right now they do not. Which leads me to Honda or Toyota. That is one of the reasons Griffin Ford is closing.
Gordon Shumway

East Hampton, CT

#9 Jan 28, 2009
Nascar jailbait wrote:
I like some of the Fords but my next car will be a hybrid. A real hybrid (not an SUV) getting real gas mileage. If Ford can provide me with an option I would consider it. But right now they do not. Which leads me to Honda or Toyota. That is one of the reasons Griffin Ford is closing.
I guess you missed all the buzz at the Detroit Auto Show about the Fusion Hybrid. It does something that the Prius cannot possibly do.
Quality is Job 453

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Jan 28, 2009
The guys at Griffin Ford are decent, and we'll miss them. The company has been a good community citizen, too. Unfortunately, the reason we know them so well is that we've been to the service desk a lot. I don't think it's normal for a transmission to fail at 60,000 miles, for example, but it did. I grew up with Fords, but they won't be on the short list the next time we feel rich enough to buy a car! I think the local shop is suffering for Dearborn's mistakes. Good luck to the guys in finding new gigs.
Frijoles

Shelton, CT

#11 Jan 29, 2009
Gordon Shumway wrote:
<quoted text>I guess you missed all the buzz at the Detroit Auto Show about the Fusion Hybrid. It does something that the Prius cannot possibly do.
I did miss it. But a cursory internet search revealed that the Prius still gets 10-15 mph more, at $8000 less in price. Maybe I am missing something, so I will continue to research.
Gordon Shumway

East Hampton, CT

#12 Jan 30, 2009
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I did miss it. But a cursory internet search revealed that the Prius still gets 10-15 mph more, at $8000 less in price. Maybe I am missing something, so I will continue to research.
The Fusion will be able to hit almost 50 without having to start the engine, a real edge over the Prius. There is also some whispers that it may have a plug in option that might prove to be a real competition to the Volt. We'll see.
Vox Pop

Bloomfield, CT

#13 Jan 30, 2009
Gordon Shumway wrote:
<quoted text>The Fusion will be able to hit almost 50 without having to start the engine, a real edge over the Prius. There is also some whispers that it may have a plug in option that might prove to be a real competition to the Volt. We'll see.
Ford seems to be the healthiest of the Big 3 right now.
But, in my heart of hearts, a HEMI throbs. Better get my last one before more of them disappear.
Gordon Shumway

United States

#14 Jan 31, 2009
Vox Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
Ford seems to be the healthiest of the Big 3 right now.
But, in my heart of hearts, a HEMI throbs. Better get my last one before more of them disappear.
I agree with the Hemi's. Mopar still builds them, but only for the marine and racing market. Saw a '70 Hemi 'Cuda go for $126,000 last week at the Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale. Not bad for a car that probably had a $4,700 sticker.... My guess is that once Chrysler has their shotgun wedding with Fiat (Fix It Again Tony) they will bale out of the performance market all together. Rumor at the B-J was they were peddling the Viper, jigs and all to whoever could pony up the bucks. Perhaps Tesla or Panoz??? Someone with deep pockets and a vision.
Vox Pop

Bloomfield, CT

#15 Feb 2, 2009
Gordon Shumway wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with the Hemi's. Mopar still builds them, but only for the marine and racing market. Saw a '70 Hemi 'Cuda go for $126,000 last week at the Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale. Not bad for a car that probably had a $4,700 sticker.... My guess is that once Chrysler has their shotgun wedding with Fiat (Fix It Again Tony) they will bale out of the performance market all together. Rumor at the B-J was they were peddling the Viper, jigs and all to whoever could pony up the bucks. Perhaps Tesla or Panoz??? Someone with deep pockets and a vision.
Fiat? The only good thing wearing that badge had a scorpion on it, thanks to Abarth.(I've had two.)
Too bad Chrysler didn't work its relationship with Mitsubishi the right way.
You never know, vision is interesting.
Shelby was dropping FOMOCO V8's into Sunbeams and ACs (aka Griffith) before Ford really grabbed him. And, if I am current, the Avanti is still being made to order with a Chevy power train.
I guess there's hope for MOPAR, but not much.
Gordon Shumway

United States

#16 Feb 2, 2009
Vox Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
Fiat? The only good thing wearing that badge had a scorpion on it, thanks to Abarth.(I've had two.)
Too bad Chrysler didn't work its relationship with Mitsubishi the right way.
You never know, vision is interesting.
Shelby was dropping FOMOCO V8's into Sunbeams and ACs (aka Griffith) before Ford really grabbed him. And, if I am current, the Avanti is still being made to order with a Chevy power train.
I guess there's hope for MOPAR, but not much.
I didn't now about the Avanti. That car was so far ahead of its time.. I saw a '53 Chrysler at the Greenwich Concours a few years back that suffered the same fate. It had one of the baby Hemi's in it.
Now, lets see how many cans of Spam, Peanuts and Burnt Out Lightbulbs I get with this post. I don't believe I have offended anyone in this post, but you never know. Someone apparently out there does not want anything constructive written about Griffin or Ford or both!
Vox Pop

Bloomfield, CT

#17 Feb 2, 2009
Gordon Shumway wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't now about the Avanti. That car was so far ahead of its time.. I saw a '53 Chrysler at the Greenwich Concours a few years back that suffered the same fate. It had one of the baby Hemi's in it.
Now, lets see how many cans of Spam, Peanuts and Burnt Out Lightbulbs I get with this post. I don't believe I have offended anyone in this post, but you never know. Someone apparently out there does not want anything constructive written about Griffin or Ford or both!
Check out Hemmings.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stamford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old Black ROBTARD (Dec '11) Mon What a Dotard 13
News Police: Bridgeport man used taxi as getaway driver Sun America Gentleman... 4
Norwalk officer shot in shooting range mishap Sat ffctguitar 4
News Bridgeport schools would be flat-funded under R... Sep 19 Gavone 4
News GOP rallies, turns up the heat on Malloy to sig... Sep 18 America Gentleman... 2
News Would-be Maserati thief chased through central ... Sep 16 America Gentleman... 4
Ty Beanie Baby Collectors come here! (May '09) Sep 15 Mimiuga 79

Stamford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stamford Mortgages