Stalling's council limits mayor's role

Stalling's council limits mayor's role

There are 31 comments on the The Charlotte Observer story from Jun 28, 2006, titled Stalling's council limits mayor's role. In it, The Charlotte Observer reports that:

A second Union County town in less than two months has taken steps to limit the power of its mayor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Charlotte Observer.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Larrys neighbor

Miami, FL

#21 Nov 25, 2008
What I meant by my previous statement is: that the role of the Stallings mayor is to lead council meetings, represent the council as meetings such as MUMPO, and vote in case their is a tie.

The council limited the mayor's duties because she voted on an issue at a previous MUMPO meeting, and the council had instructed her to vote the opposite way. That is where this whole topic came from....

Oh and BTW - here is an education on the style of goverment that we have here in Stallings....

Stallings is under the Manager/Council type of government, YOU can verify at the stallingsnc.org website to confirm. The "mayor" has no voice for the "people" unless she is voting when there is a tie. So if the "citizens" that voted for her want to be represented by a person, then they need to vote for council members who will represent their views, not the mayor.
Anonymous

Charlotte, NC

#22 Nov 28, 2008
So did the Mayor vote on the bypass route at MUMPO against the directive of the council?

Since: Oct 08

Ether, NC

#23 Dec 10, 2008
No. There was no actual vote at this meeting, only a discussion.
Anonymous

Charlotte, NC

#24 Dec 10, 2008
If she did not vote against the directive of council, then do you have a problem with free speech and our constitution?

Ether, NC

#25 Dec 10, 2008
Not at all as long as it is specified that what you are saying is your own opinion and you don't try to make out as if what you are saying is also the way that everyone else in the town council feels and votes. The vote as it stands with Stallings town council is in favor of 18A. That is what should be taken in front of MUMPO and the Turnpike folks and without Paxton saying, "but I think" , she is there to cary forward the word of the council and the word of the people of stallings. If she wishes to speak out against 18A then she should do so just like us as a private citizen with a three minute alotment and do just as Barbera did and say "I am here to speak on my own behalf and not on the behalf of Stallings in an Official cappacity"...
Anonymous

Charlotte, NC

#26 Dec 10, 2008
So the people on MUMPO must be very stupid to conclude that "I think" means something other than what it clearly states -- a personal opinion. Sorry Larry but your arguments are illogical and your desire to quash basic fundamental rights is abhorent.
Larrys neighbor

United States

#27 Dec 15, 2008
Then if that is the case, the Stallings Town website needs to be changed.

From the website:
The Town of Stallings shall have the Council‑Manager form of government and the administration thereof shall be provided in Part 2, Article 7 of Chapter 160A‑147 of the North Carolina General Statutes. The Council shall consist of six (6) members, not including the Mayor.
Sec. 4. The Mayor shall be elected by the qualified voters of the town for a term of four years, and shall be entitled to vote on matters before the Council only if necessary to break a tie.

So if the "people" want a working mayor or a mayor with some power, then they need to urge their council to change the town's form of government. The people may have voted her in (only around 700), but the mayor has no power as far as passing laws (except in case of a tie), or anything like that.
Larrys neighbor

United States

#28 Dec 15, 2008
Following protocol while conducting a government meeting is not illogical or is it quashing the basic fundamental rights of anyone.

This is my whole problem and the council's problem with the mayor. She does not follow the rules. If the council tells to vote for "A", then she needs to vote for "A", not "B". If other council members get to speak their own opinion about "A" or "B", then that procedure or protocol for expressing her own opinion (not councils) is what she has the right of doing.
Anonymous

Charlotte, NC

#29 Dec 15, 2008
Again... did she vote against the council's wishes?

The audio version of the council meeting indicates that she informed MUMPO of the council's position and also expressed her own opinion.

If she followed protocol, voted the way council wanted and expressed her own opinion (guaranteed under the US constitution)... what exactly is the problem?

BTW - whether it was 700 or 1100 a majority is a majority and that is how democracy works. Those who chose to forfeit their right to vote do not get to rewrite the results of the election.

United States

#30 Dec 17, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
Again... did she vote against the council's wishes?
The audio version of the council meeting indicates that she informed MUMPO of the council's position and also expressed her own opinion.
If she followed protocol, voted the way council wanted and expressed her own opinion (guaranteed under the US constitution)... what exactly is the problem?
BTW - whether it was 700 or 1100 a majority is a majority and that is how democracy works. Those who chose to forfeit their right to vote do not get to rewrite the results of the election.
The problem I have with what she said and did is that by sitting on the MUMPO board as Mayor of stallings she was able to talk longer than the three minutes allowed by MUMPO to express her personal feelings. Three minutes is allowed for all private citizens. When she is there to represent the Stallings board then she should respect the stallings board and speak only of their wishes. If she wishes to speak her personal opinion she should have to do just as Barbera and speak at the podiom and for three minutes only like everyone else and make it clear, not just hint by saying "I think" , that she is speaking her opinion and not that of the council. With how you are reading what I said before then I could say that I think that "Anonomouse" supports 18A and will continue to support 18A no matter what, and that should mean that it is my opinion, but when you sit in front of an official meeting such as MUMPO it is very important that the board members there speak only in facts, and if it is not fact and it is personal opinion then it is also important to make it very clear. She may not have voted at the meeting but in my eyes she has cheated the people that went there to speak by only allowing them three minutes and taking much more than three minutes to speak her own opinion
Anonymous

Charlotte, NC

#31 Dec 17, 2008
If you'd like to have more than 3 minutes to speak then by all means run and get elected Mayor so you can have your say at MUMPO.

In a democracy, an elected official is not a trained monkey and IS supposed to express personal opinion (so that the voters know how that individual thinks and reasons) and that is supposedly what the Mayor of Stallings did and what other Mayors and representatives also do on the board.

The council requires her to voice the opinion of the council and she did as required.

Go to a town council meeting and hold some of the town's council members to the same standard of only 'stating fact' instead of opinion.... it would be over in a minute and we would not have an opportunity to see how uninformed, vindictive and self serving they are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stallings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Indian Trail Music Selection (Aug '12) 9 hr Musikologist 15
Are Southerners Stupid or do they just sound th... (Oct '08) Tue Doc Bee 4,943
Charlotte Hospice (HPCCR) Mar 18 I Did Not Need to... 1
Thank God 4 TRUMP Mar 17 Earl 25
Chuck S. Stallings pollice officer Dec '16 Ben 2
News Source: Body found dismembered in woods near St... (Jul '15) Jul '15 vam 2
Poll Who is going to run for Stallings Mayor? (Jun '13) Nov '13 Resident Too 2

Stallings Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance