State police identify teen slain by Stafford deputy

Nov 4, 2012 Full story: Fauquier.com 26

Virginia State Police identified Fauquier teen Evan F. Newsom, 17, as the boy shot to death by a Stafford County sheriff's deputy after Newsom slashed another deputy with a knife.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
KILLED

Centreville, VA

#1 Nov 4, 2012
WHEN IS IT APPROPRIATE FOR A GANG OF POLICE TO INVADE A PERSON'S HOME BECAUSE THEY BELIEVED THEY WERE DRUNK???

The police tracked down the driver of the car (four houses from the car)-- all excited and frenzied over a possible DWI arrest (not a welfare check after an accident)?? A suspected DWI was just cause to break into the home of this young man AND KILL HIM?

It is understandable the 17-year-old would be frightened and confused. If he really did have a knife, defending himself against a break-in would be justifiable. Their story: One officer had "superficial wounds" and they felt it necessary to shoot the young man multiple times.

We all need to be outraged over this and the other instances of out-of-control police in this area.
outraged

Lawrenceville, GA

#2 Nov 4, 2012
To say this was excessive force would be an incredible understatement. That officer should be charged with murder!! What a travesty. May this child rest in peace and I pray justice is served!!
local

Columbia, MD

#3 Nov 5, 2012
its a said tragedy but there is more to this then what was put out on the news. maybe when all information is given all will see why the police went to the house. this was on a county line and thats why there were 2 different countys there.

Since: Oct 12

Centreville, VA

#4 Nov 5, 2012
There have been several recent police-involved killings in our area, as well as vehicular “accidents" -- one that comes to mind is when Fairfax County Officer Amanda Perry killed Ashley McIntosh in Alexandria.

1. Patricia Cook, 54 years old, killed by police (and then her husband mysteriously died after filing lawsuit). February 2012

2. Delma Towler, 83 years old, was killed by police in Altavista. September 2012

3. Two Virginia State Police attempted to kill a motorcyclist and his passenger in Gainesville and, instead, ran into each other. October 2012

4. Evan Newsom, 17 years old, was killed by police in Stafford. November 2012

Virginia law enforcement agencies have successfully utilized FOIA loopholes to conceal information on their investigations from the victims' families and the citizens whom they serve. They apparently have the legal authority to kill their citizenry and then refuse to share the results of their internal investigations, which ultimately find the violence justified.

Who polices the police?

Sic semper tyrannis -- Virginia's official motto -- our rallying cry against abuse of power.
Children

Washington, DC

#5 Nov 5, 2012
What do you tell your children to do now when they encounter police??
Idiots

Stafford, VA

#6 Nov 6, 2012
You people react before you even know the actual facts to this incident. What isn't to say the so called "Child" hadn't come after the officers. Its not to be outraged about. Its either the officers life or the criminals. I believe the officers did what they had to do. And you never what really happens cause the media turns everything into a big joke to get everyones attention.

BTW, the paper never said it was the "child's" home nor does it say that they entered the house. For all we know the child came outside after the police.
You Mama

Fredericksburg, VA

#7 Nov 8, 2012
Let me guess, this "victim" was another law abiding pillar of the community right? The cops killed an honor roll student, a kid that was a positive mentor to his peers. Give me a break, I am not buying any of this, let's wait and see what the facts in the case reveal before we try and make another Trayvon hero out of this "victim"!
Keen Observer

Bristow, VA

#8 Nov 8, 2012
If Obama had a son, would he look like Evan F. Newson?? Just sayin....
Somewhere put there

Euless, TX

#9 Nov 8, 2012
Keen Observer - no. He wouldn't look like Obama's son.
Keen Observer wrote:
If Obama had a son, would he look like Evan F. Newson?? Just sayin....
Obviously More Keen

Columbia, MO

#10 Nov 8, 2012
Keen Observer wrote:
If Obama had a son, would he look like Evan F. Newson?? Just sayin....
Nope. Because Evan wasn't black. How rude.
Joanne

Belmont, MI

#11 Nov 11, 2012
I am waiting to see more updates on the story because the young man who was killed is practically invisible to us, as readers. We as citizens have the right to an explanation of why this young man was shot. The information given is incredibly shoddy. Come on!
Erin

Stafford, VA

#12 Nov 12, 2012
@JoAnne Evan was our neighbor and a quiet, well mannered kid from what we saw and heard from others in the neighborhood. There are some big questions in this story, and I feel that we as a community are expected to be satisfied with the story that a knife wielding teen attacked police officers after we infer from news stories that he was the driver of the abandoned car parked close to his home. He hasn't been identified as the driver of the car, he was shot multiple times in his own home. Before we villainize a kid, I'd like to have a few answers.
Erin

Danielson, CT

#13 Nov 13, 2012
It was his home. He lived with his mother in the home and he was shot inside the home. It's funny that you assume the information released was shady in order to protect a "criminal teen".
Idiots wrote:
You people react before you even know the actual facts to this incident. What isn't to say the so called "Child" hadn't come after the officers. Its not to be outraged about. Its either the officers life or the criminals. I believe the officers did what they had to do. And you never what really happens cause the media turns everything into a big joke to get everyones attention.
BTW, the paper never said it was the "child's" home nor does it say that they entered the house. For all we know the child came outside after the police.
Chance Shaneyfelt

Altoona, PA

#14 Nov 16, 2012
This story is most deffinetly bogus. They didnt even mention why he attacked the officer, if he even did. I lived in on the same street a couple houses from Evans,(737 tacketts mill rd.) I even happen to hang out with him a few times, i met him for the first time when he came up to my house and introduced himself with his sister. He was very friendly and outgoing. He was a very energiezed and filled with happiness. And how does someone like this get the nerve to just randomly stab an (all caps for you) OFFICER!!! There is way more to this story then is being released. This is unfair to Evan and unfair to his family. My prayers go out.... justice will be served. That officer could of sliced himself has a cover up for all we know. But whatever it is this is a cover up and very much a bullcrap story.
Chance Shaneyfelt

Altoona, PA

#15 Nov 16, 2012
Idiots wrote:
You people react before you even know the actual facts to this incident. What isn't to say the so called "Child" hadn't come after the officers. Its not to be outraged about. Its either the officers life or the criminals. I believe the officers did what they had to do. And you never what really happens cause the media turns everything into a big joke to get everyones attention.
BTW, the paper never said it was the "child's" home nor does it say that they entered the house. For all we know the child came outside after the police.
Buddy do you a favor and stop commenting. You dont know nothing. I happened to have known the kid and went to school with him. I know for a fact he isnt juss gonna try and stab some one, especially an OFFICER. That so called cop dont sound like no cop to me. Hes a fony. The whole story is a fony. This should be looked apon as a tradgety that we cant even trust cops these days because some of them happen to be criminals themselves
Joanne

Belmont, MI

#16 Nov 18, 2012
I am still waiting for the Press to pursue this matter as their reporting has been unbelievably lame -- even complicit. I guess Evan's killing isn't sensational enough -- just kind of ho-hum those days -- and won't bring enough money to the newspapers, who are financially strapped as newspapers go digital.

Wow it's a slippery slope when we let a killing like this disappear with no questions asked by the public. Are we sheep yet? We need to WAKE UP!

Evan was a PERSON with a STORY.
Joanne

Belmont, MI

#17 Nov 18, 2012
Has any of you who were concerned about the "facts" in this case given it one more thought? You shouldn't have to -- that's the job of investigative journalism. Because they have let the story die, it will slip from the minds of all of us, and those who shot Evan won't have to answer to anyone. Because we're not paying attention.
Joanne

Belmont, MI

#18 Nov 18, 2012
Idiots wrote:
You people react before you even know the actual facts to this incident. What isn't to say the so called "Child" hadn't come after the officers. Its not to be outraged about. Its either the officers life or the criminals. I believe the officers did what they had to do. And you never what really happens cause the media turns everything into a big joke to get everyones attention.
BTW, the paper never said it was the "child's" home nor does it say that they entered the house. For all we know the child came outside after the police.
You say "I believe the officers did what they had to do."
But you don't know this, because the reporting did not give you the information you need to make this decision. There are no facts. Like you said, "you never really know what happens." That is my point -- not about anyone's guilt or innocence. Just that we are expected to simply swallow it when one of us is killed by police.
Joanne

Belmont, MI

#19 Nov 18, 2012
Erin wrote:
@JoAnne Evan was our neighbor and a quiet, well mannered kid from what we saw and heard from others in the neighborhood. There are some big questions in this story, and I feel that we as a community are expected to be satisfied with the story that a knife wielding teen attacked police officers after we infer from news stories that he was the driver of the abandoned car parked close to his home. He hasn't been identified as the driver of the car, he was shot multiple times in his own home. Before we villainize a kid, I'd like to have a few answers.
Well said. I'm still waiting for some answers too, before we villainize anyone, cop or kid.
Joanne

Belmont, MI

#20 Nov 21, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stafford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 27 min gwsbadass 1,360
All Star Solutions - Richard Hare (Apr '14) Sep 25 Steve 24
Review: Peak Mental Health - Nivedita Choudhary MD (Apr '11) Sep 22 So Distressed 38
Woman testifies in Stafford assault (Jul '07) Sep 9 Angie Storbach 4
Stafford Music Thread Sep 4 Musikologist 1
Is anybody order Frome this website before? Aug '14 Love Hannah 1
Do you approve of Robert Wittman as Representat... (Nov '11) Aug '14 John Doe 4

Stafford Jobs

Stafford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Stafford News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Stafford

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]