ECHN Cancels Purchase Of Johnson Memo...

ECHN Cancels Purchase Of Johnson Memorial Hospital

There are 9 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 6, 2009, titled ECHN Cancels Purchase Of Johnson Memorial Hospital. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Eastern Connecticut Health Network on Friday abruptly canceled a deal to acquire Johnson Memorial Hospital and related properties, saying new information had hurt its confidence that the merger plan would work.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Since: Jan 09

stafford springs

#1 Mar 7, 2009
its time 2 close jmh
Dirty Sanchez

Windsor Locks, CT

#2 Mar 7, 2009
Chapter 7 for Johnson Memorial Hospital is inevitable. Before the corporate turnaround company came in to rescue the facility, the place has been financially mismanaged by greedy corporate executives for numerous years before the bankruptcy, and unfortunately the king of all the former CEO and 'King of Greed' met an unfortunate and untimely demise, and couldn't take all the money that he basically 'stole' from the hospital and related entities with him. It's not the fault of the corporate 'turnaround' entity. Johnson's financial problems have been an issue for years, and perpetuated by an incompetant financial department/staff that didn't possess the expertise or knowledge to question the financial misdeeds of the former executives. Their only hope for survival would be is to be absorbed by either Baystate Med. Ctr. or Hartford Hospital, but I don't see that happening, especially now when Hartford Hospital is on a mission to rescue John Dempsey Hospital from the same financial ruin. In addition to that, the State of Mass. has several, small community hospitals that border the State of CT in close proximaty to Johnson. Bottom line - if you as an individual owe them money for any hospital bills or services, don't bother paying them, because they don't even pay their own bills. A little tit for tat is the justice they deserve. I just feel sorry for any former patients that are owed a refund for being overcharged. They will never ever see that money again
Saddam Huessein

Glastonbury, CT

#3 Mar 7, 2009
Dirty Sanchez wrote:
Chapter 7 for Johnson Memorial Hospital is inevitable. Before the corporate turnaround company came in to rescue the facility, the place has been financially mismanaged by greedy corporate executives for numerous years before the bankruptcy, and unfortunately the king of all the former CEO and 'King of Greed' met an unfortunate and untimely demise, and couldn't take all the money that he basically 'stole' from the hospital and related entities with him. It's not the fault of the corporate 'turnaround' entity. Johnson's financial problems have been an issue for years, and perpetuated by an incompetant financial department/staff that didn't possess the expertise or knowledge to question the financial misdeeds of the former executives. Their only hope for survival would be is to be absorbed by either Baystate Med. Ctr. or Hartford Hospital, but I don't see that happening, especially now when Hartford Hospital is on a mission to rescue John Dempsey Hospital from the same financial ruin. In addition to that, the State of Mass. has several, small community hospitals that border the State of CT in close proximaty to Johnson. Bottom line - if you as an individual owe them money for any hospital bills or services, don't bother paying them, because they don't even pay their own bills. A little tit for tat is the justice they deserve. I just feel sorry for any former patients that are owed a refund for being overcharged. They will never ever see that money again
Right On Another Jodi Rell Bad Luck Disaster.

Impeach Rell, Rescue CT

Since: Jan 09

stafford springs

#4 Mar 7, 2009
i heard mercy might be interested
Dirty Sanchez

Windsor Locks, CT

#5 Mar 8, 2009
johnsi wrote:
i heard mercy might be interested
I doubt Mercy could take on such a financial mess. Mercy Hospital receives "Distressed Hospital" funds almost every year from the State of MA. Mercy lacks the Medicare Funding sources needed to keep a hospital like Johnson afloat.
Fred

United States

#6 Mar 8, 2009
Johnson is a financial black hole..everybody knows that the subsidiaries are making "transfer" payments to keep the main hospital's payroll going. The finances are so suspicious and garbled by a very corrupt bunch of people who are part of the financial division. Evergreen's management is also currently under scrutiny by a bunch of folks who are wondering what has been going on there.

The whole place stinks..
Mike

Plainville, CT

#7 Mar 8, 2009
sounds like somebody saw the light. Loosing battle no matter what
anonymous

Suffield, CT

#8 Mar 8, 2009
There are many positive's about JMH but only the negatives are being spoken of..Johnson offers many positives to the Stafford community and surrounding towns. The nursing staff are some of the most dedicated, compassionate and caring around. The other staff member are very dedicated as well which it the reason the patients receive some of the best care. It would be a great loss if the hospital would have to close. I have faith when things do turn around the hospital will emerge a much stronger place for having "weather the storm"and will be around for many, many, years ...sorry for being so positive. Too much negativity going on already in the world!
ksa

Fresno, CA

#9 Apr 8, 2009
Johnson is a good community hospital. The paying patients with medical insurance are going to St. Francis and Bay State. The indigent patients with no insurance are going to ER at Johnson and Holyoke like hospitals. People want a ER nearby but do not want to patronize their local hospitals with elective surgeries. This trend is driving small hospitals into ground. Now people at Stafford who went to St Francis for hip replacement will also go and wait in their ER for 18 hours to have their wrist set.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stafford Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Failing Concrete Foundations Linked to Aggregate May 18 Sheryl 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Joe Lieberman as U.S. Senator? May 4 lavon affair 2
News Stafford Graffiti Artist Arrested Again While A... (May '09) Apr '16 Screwball 62
Tobacco Field Camp (May '12) Feb '16 Dena 6
Local Politics Do you approve of Richard Blumenthal as U.S. Se... Jan '16 Doug Weidl 1
Why Does Stafford Effing Suck? (Apr '11) Jan '16 Lynnturner34 4
Tolland resident looking for hunting land in or... (Nov '15) Nov '15 justona 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stafford Springs Mortgages