Marijuana Legal In South Carolina? The Debate Begins

Full story: WCIV 460
Columbia, SC - Some argue South Carolina is not yet ready to tackle the issue of marijuana use for medical reasons that 12 other states have passed. Full Story
First Prev
of 23
Next Last
Ryan

Ladson, SC

#1 Jan 21, 2007
I believe if it for medicinal use only, and it can actually help people than who is to say these people shouldnt be helped?

“Fight Terrorism Buy Domsestic”

Since: Dec 06

Hippiegene

#2 Jan 22, 2007
No one that's who. The states with Medical Marijuana Programs and Decrim measures have shown the Largest Drop in Teen marijuana Use!!! I am a Medical Marijuana Patient in the Compassionate State of Oregon. I no longer take PHARMA SUIT TO KILLS.I have a greater healthier lifestyle with Vaporized Cannabis VS Hydrocodone and Paxil.
Ryan wrote:
I believe if it for medicinal use only, and it can actually help people than who is to say these people shouldnt be helped?

“keeping a watchful eye”

Hwy 101

#3 Jan 23, 2007
Gary Storck: Congress should protect Americans legally using medical marijuana
A letter to the editor

Dear Editor: Congress not only needs to enact sentencing reform, as Dave Zweifel says in "Sentencing laws should make sense," but also must protect medical marijuana patients and providers being targeted by federal agents in the 11 states that have legalized this therapy.

Not only are people acting legally under these state laws being arrested for federal offenses, they are then being sentenced to long federal prison terms. A prime example is Stephanie Landa, a 60-year-old medical cannabis patient and provider who on Jan. 4 turned herself in to federal authorities in San Francisco to begin a 41-month term for growing her medicine.

Just Wednesday, Drug Enforcement Administration agents simultaneously raided 11 medical cannabis dispensaries in the Los Angeles area. In West Hollywood, a city with a self-proclaimed "long-standing commitment" to the use of medical marijuana for patients with HIV/AIDS and other serious illnesses, city officials were stunned when the raids took out five of the city's seven dispensaries.

For an administration constantly harping about spreading democracy, the Bush administration's continued subverting of state laws and states' rights is the height of hypocrisy. Making war on sick people for their choice of medicine is not only cruel and immoral, but a complete misallocation of federal resources.

Medical marijuana supporters in Congress, the bulk of them Democrats, unsuccessfully tried four times since 2003 to pass a budget amendment that would eliminate these wasteful raids. Now that Democrats are in the majority, with medical marijuana supporter Nancy Pelosi as House speaker, it's time to end this madness once and for all by not just ending the raids, but by passing legislation allowing all Americans equal and legal access to this valuable medicine.

Gary Storck
Madison

Published: January 23, 2007
Maxine

Mesa, AZ

#4 Jan 24, 2007
I agree.
Ryan wrote:
Maxine

Mesa, AZ

#5 Jan 24, 2007
yes, let doctors prescribe it. no other legalization, though.
Ryan wrote:

Hippiegene

#6 Jan 24, 2007
Do you go to the doctor for Aspirin? Do you go to the doctor for Cold Formulas with pseudoepedrine and alcohol in them? All of these -Non-Prescription-drugs have proven lethal to certain individuals. Marijuana in it's 6,000 year old history has never caused a death from inhalation or ingestion. Total Legalization-Taxation-State Distribution is the only sensible way.
Maxine wrote:
yes, let doctors prescribe it. no other legalization, though.
<quoted text>
Danny Boise ID

United States

#7 Jan 31, 2007
its time for marijuana to be legal for all who want to use it. there has never been a case of marijuana overdose. studies in great britian show few if any long term health problams, these studies also show that certin levels of THC dotn impair driving enough to be dangrious. back here in the us more people are treated for alcohol, coke, meth, herion, speed, and other more dangrous drug addiction than marijuana. marijuana is not addicting like other drugs and most people quit use after there mid 20's if anybody has anything to add to support the cause let me know i am writting my sr english paper on the topic and could us all the help i can get. blaze on

“Legalize the cannabis plant!”

Since: Jan 07

Wesley

#8 Jan 31, 2007
Danny Boise ID wrote:
marijuana is not addicting like other drugs and most people quit use after there mid 20's if anybody has anything to add to support the cause let me know i am writting my sr english paper on the topic and could us all the help i can get. blaze on
yeah man talk to puffdoggy and jerry garcia those two are very knowledgeable about weed's history/effects, etc. They could help you out a lot. Oh and jerry do you really use a vaporizer? I have a couple of times but i thought it was rough smokin, but i guess it is pure THC through a vaporizer. What do you use? I did it through a glass bulb =) Thanks!!

Hippiegene

#9 Jan 31, 2007
I started using a vaporizer in 2000. I use a vaporizer manufactured here in Eugene called The Mystifier.Not the one made in Canada, it is junk.---The closest thing to a Mystifier is the Volcano and can be purchased on Ebay for $539.00. It is guarenteed for life originally maufctured in Germany it is the Cadillac of Vaporizers.Both the Mystifier and the Volcano use a collection bag and mouthpiece. Everyting else is little more than novelty items in my opinion. Check out the Volcano web site.---After two weeks of just vaporizing,no smoking at all, you will not believe how your taste buds will improve.You can actually taste the bouquet of the HERB through vaporization.You will use less herb usually a 1/2 gram blitzes me into oblivion for hours this way.You cut out all the chemicals associated with smoking adn only receive THC and CBDs. The left over material is still viable for making brownies. So you actually save tremendously on herb expense..---Israeli Hash Pipes were constructed of clay. They had a stone slightly smaller than the diameter of the pipe. The stones were heated ,placed on the herb and you inhaled clear heat saturatd with THC. True Jaimaiccans use a Steam Pipe . They actually wet the herb which they place in a tin can heated up by coals and inhale teh steam. Vaprization has been around awhile. It is even referred to in King James Bible.
the mister wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah man talk to puffdoggy and jerry garcia those two are very knowledgeable about weed's history/effects, etc. They could help you out a lot. Oh and jerry do you really use a vaporizer? I have a couple of times but i thought it was rough smokin, but i guess it is pure THC through a vaporizer. What do you use? I did it through a glass bulb =) Thanks!!
Blaze

Leesville, SC

#10 Jan 31, 2007
My initial thoughts are --- sure legalize medicinal marijuana, to help those that would otherwise be dependant on pharmacutical drugs and all thier side-affects. But when I review the idea, I see MANY people in SC flooding the doctors offices claiming to have a headache, muscle spasm, brain tumor, skin legion, leg cramps, stomach ache, runny nose, etc...--- Will this create a bigger problem of people trying to "qualify" for the "medicinal" purposes?

“keeping a watchful eye”

Hwy 101

#11 Jan 31, 2007
Danny Boise ID wrote:
its time for marijuana to be legal for all who want to use it. there has never been a case of marijuana overdose. studies in great britian show few if any long term health problams, these studies also show that certin levels of THC dotn impair driving enough to be dangrious. back here in the us more people are treated for alcohol, coke, meth, herion, speed, and other more dangrous drug addiction than marijuana. marijuana is not addicting like other drugs and most people quit use after there mid 20's if anybody has anything to add to support the cause let me know i am writting my sr english paper on the topic and could us all the help i can get. blaze on
Hey Danny, Bronco fan here. Go to all the marijuana threads and even the "fewer teens using drugs" threads and you'll find alot of info. From myself Jerry and others as well. Good luck with that paper, and be prepaired to back up your claims with facts. The facts speak volumes regarding the issue at hand so load up on them. If you need more assistance we'd be glad to help.

Since: Feb 07

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#12 Feb 20, 2007
People are going to do what people are going to do. I, personally, feel it is not up to the government to define our choices. I do prefer the choice of legalizing it and taxing it like cigarettes. I mean we have state endorsed gambling, why not?
Reb

Hippiegene

#13 Feb 20, 2007

“keeping a watchful eye”

Hwy 101

#14 Feb 21, 2007
Jerry Garcia wrote:
http://www.rl.tv/others/medica lmarijuana.aspx
Hey Jerry, I just returned from my Amsterdam excursion. I did a personal one week study of the city and it's coffee shops. I noticed many things, including no obvious downside to tolerance of marijuana. In fact quite the opposite, I noticed the obvious affects of people smoking for enjoyment rather than drinking alcohol. I mostly partied in a place with alcohol but I really never saw the really intoxicated guy you always see in regular U.S. bars. The consumption of alcohol even when available was much less than what I typically see in the U.S. In other words I would contend that with tolerance of marijuana we would see less alcohol abuse. It may be seen as a trade-off by some but it's still a positive trade-off. I really think tolerance of marijuana would actually lead to less drunk driving and fewer deaths on our roads. This could lead to quite an arguement over what is better but when you see it first hand and realize the difference in behavior, it's really quite clear that stoned people function better than drunks. I'm not stating that it will win over our cause but I thought it worth mentioning since the Dutch people seem to have it correct. Most, if not all the people I witnessed drinking alcohol were from the U.K. or from the U.S. I really didn't see more than a handful of Dutch people drinking, but they love their hash. Two gals I became aquainted with were real hash lovers and I enjoyed their company very much. On another note I found the red light district disturbing to say the least. I really don't know what was going on but I saw many guys around that had gang member writen all over their forehead. I quickly went the other direction and went back to my local smoking establishment. White Widow was excellent but the blue berry from a place called the grey area were my favorites. The Grey Area won a cannabis cup (not sure what year) for it's bubblegum but unfortunately they were out of bubblegum and I had to settle for the next best thing. Which was incredible marijuana, the best flavor I've had for quite some time. The high was slightly over the top but the first 30 minutes were awesome, starting in the midsection and travelling throughout the body while only slightly imparing the head was a real treat. Made me want to go swimming in the canals!!LOL Also the blue berry was not an especially sleepy weed which the white widow was. An excellent stone but one that drained the energy from me. So all in all I really like the Amsterdam scene but I'm sure other times of year paint a different scene and one I look forward to investigating.
nate ezell

Great Neck, NY

#15 Feb 28, 2007
waz up i smoke weed

“keeping a watchful eye”

Hwy 101

#16 Mar 1, 2007
CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts: A new study in the journal Neurology is being hailed as unassailable proof that marijuana is a valuable medicine. It is a sad commentary on the state of modern medicine that we still need "proof" of something that medicine has known for 5,000 years.

The study, from the University of California at San Francisco, found that smoked marijuana was effective at relieving the extreme pain of a debilitating condition known as peripheral neuropathy.

It was a study of HIV patients, but a similar type of pain caused by damage to nerves afflicts people with many other illnesses including diabetes and multiple sclerosis.

Neuropathic pain is notoriously resistant to treatment with conventional pain drugs. Even powerful and addictive narcotics like morphine and OxyContin often provide little relief. This study leaves no doubt that marijuana can safely ease this type of pain.

As all marijuana research in the United States must be, the new study was conducted with government-supplied marijuana of notoriously poor quality. So it probably underestimated the potential benefit.
Today in Opinion

This is all good news, but it should not be news at all. In the 40-odd years I have been studying the medicinal uses of marijuana, I have learned that the recorded history of this medicine goes back to ancient times.

In the 19th century it became a well-established Western medicine whose versatility and safety were unquestioned. From 1840 to 1900, American and European medical journals published over 100 papers on the therapeutic uses of marijuana, also known as cannabis.

Our knowledge has advanced greatly over the years. Scientists have identified over 60 unique constituents in marijuana, called cannabinoids, and we have learned much about how they work. We have also learned that our own bodies produce similar chemicals, called endocannabinoids. Full Story : http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/03/01/opinio...
Dr Greenthumb

AOL

#17 May 2, 2007
Alcohol kills alot of people. Why is that legal? I have never heard of someone overdosing on marijuana and dying from it. Hemp was legal until the government got hold of it. Hemp helped out alot during WW2. I wish hemp was legal, because it helps out in medical issues and also since most of us can't afford health insurance, growing it should be legal. I see nothing wrong with marijuana. Where does it say in the king james bible that they smoked marijuana? I can't find it in there. LEGALIZE MARIJUANA PLEASE!!
allen salceda

Winnipeg, Canada

#18 May 10, 2007
can u help me with my arguement cuz we have a debate and i am in the side of legalizing marijuan wat do u think is the best thing

Hippiegene

#19 May 12, 2007
The best arguement for Legalization is we have a failed Drug War costing us billions and lasting over 70 years.This war senslessly continues to destroy lives and families.Enough already ,release al non -violent drug offenders-Legalize-Tax-State Distribute American Grown Organic Marijuana and HEMP.Put thoudands upon thousands to work processing -Food Fuel- Fibre - and Medicine.Hemp could erase the need for all Petro Khemi-KILLS and is a re-newable resoure. LEGALIZE IT!!!
allen salceda wrote:
can u help me with my arguement cuz we have a debate and i am in the side of legalizing marijuan wat do u think is the best thing
Jer

Gaston, SC

#20 May 13, 2007
I think It should be legalized no qestions asked thousands of people die a year from alchohol over dose it is impossible to OD on weed . man made beer god made weed who do you trust?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Stephen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) Sep 8 mossad was hacked 1,150
3 arrested, 1 at large for Marlboro County crimes Aug 28 Bonnie Wheeler 3
Moncks Corner Music Forum (Dec '12) Aug '14 Musikologist 10
ideas on how to dispose of whole trailer contents Jul '14 whitedog 1
S.C. lawmakers flunk priority test Jun '14 martin huttto 1
Episcopal Church: Presiding bishops talks of he... May '14 Listen to the Word 1
Berkeley County needs poll managers for June pr... Apr '14 Carolyn 1
•••
St. Stephen Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

St. Stephen Jobs