Toll: 35 cents to $7.25?

St. Petersburg, Florida Wednesday night, the public's invited to sound off on a plan that would hike up tolls on the Pinellas Bayway and at Fort DeSoto in Pinellas County. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bayway Task Force

Bradenton, FL

#1 Mar 12, 2008
FDOT continues to throw out Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt in their campaign to get control of toll-setting on the Pinellas Bayway.

In the article above, FDOT Carson says "diverting money from the Skyway is called ‘double tolling,’ and FDOT does not do that."

Task Force Response: We haven't seen an administrative code or law that would prevent "double tolling", but the answer is simple. Just eliminate the toll altogether on the Bayway. Bingo, no double-tolling.

Carson said: "The Pinellas Bayway bridges are not part of the state highway system, which makes it extremely unlikely that Penny for Pinellas funds could be used."

Task Force Response: FDOT didn't have any problem using the Penny for Pinellas funds that were provided for State Road 60 (Memorial Causeway) improvements, and State Road 688 (Ulmerton Road) improvements.

Carson says "As far as using federal funding, every federal dollar in the FDOT system is already committed to other projects."

Task Force Response: In the FDOT system? Well, since they are in charge of the use of the funds, they can reallocate some to this important project, or maybe they should ask for additional funding from the federal government.

And hey, how about using some of the $500 million a year that the FDOT has in their budget for "bridge rehabilitation"?
JRC

Marietta, GA

#2 Mar 12, 2008
Well, that ends my visiting Fort Desoto. I love to boat and fish and love the area but there is no way I can pay $7.25 every time I go there. A more reasonable jump to $1.25 might be of but NOT $7.25! Thats crazy!
fools all of us

Tampa, FL

#3 Mar 12, 2008
Fort DeSoto park is one of the best places Tampa bay has to offer for outdoor beauty. no high rises , just beach

Now they want to charge top dollar to see it!

Florida Department of Transportation needs money
so do the working citizens of Tampa bay but we don't get a 200% increase in our income! and they should not either.....
Rise it to $1.50 understandable but $7.25 GREEDY FDT wonder how much the average income is all ready for Florida Department of Transportation workers???

“To Protect And Serve”

Since: Aug 07

Trenton N.J

#4 Mar 12, 2008
STICK IT F D O T !!!!!!!!!!

“To Protect And Serve”

Trenton N.J

#5 Mar 12, 2008
Stuff it F D O T!!!!!!!!!!

“To Protect And Serve”

Trenton N.J

#6 Mar 12, 2008
Keep your beach there are plenty of others that are free.
bob the cynic

Largo, FL

#7 Mar 12, 2008
7.25, that is a 2071% increase, or more than 20 times as much! I think that the toll should have been raised gradually over time well before now, but 2071% is too much! Maybe $2.50? The skyway toll should be raised some also, at least my opinion.
clc

Largo, FL

#8 Mar 12, 2008
fools all of us wrote:
Fort DeSoto park is one of the best places Tampa bay has to offer for outdoor beauty. no high rises , just beach
Now they want to charge top dollar to see it!
Florida Department of Transportation needs money
so do the working citizens of Tampa bay but we don't get a 200% increase in our income! and they should not either.....
Rise it to $1.50 understandable but $7.25 GREEDY FDT wonder how much the average income is all ready for Florida Department of Transportation workers???
200% increase is only $1.05
Joe

Tallahassee, FL

#10 Mar 12, 2008
NO new tolls, stop nickle and diming use to death
Joe

Tallahassee, FL

#11 Mar 12, 2008
Fire the Task Force and use the money saved to pay for the bridge.
will j

Clearwater, FL

#12 Mar 12, 2008
How can you raise a toll to $7? This will hurt the tourism in the area. You can go to Clearwater and not pay 7 bones to drive there. Why would you go to St. Pete for this price?
Greg

United States

#13 Mar 12, 2008
I have no problem with the increase to 7.25! I think it's only appropriate that during these harsh economic times that we make it harder and harder for our residents do so simple things like enjoying our beaches. Go ahead FDOT, raise the fees 2000%. Besides another GREAT benefit would be decreased state sales taxes as people will stop coming to our state. Heck, next you could come up with a new ad slogan for Florida, perhaps "Keep our beaches vacant"??
Bob

Saint Petersburg, FL

#14 Mar 12, 2008
Annual park attendance averages more than 2.7 million visitors.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_Ft_DeSo...

times $7.25....that's $19,575,000.00
Tampa Joe

Atlanta, GA

#15 Mar 12, 2008
Stop your crying.....its not that much.....we dont have city or state tax....what do you expect......new roads arent free!!
Suck it up and just buy less lotto tickets!!
Brian

Garden City, MI

#16 Mar 12, 2008
Figure for inflation, that $7 in 2038 could only be $2 in today's money.
Jimbo

Saint Petersburg, FL

#17 Mar 12, 2008
Bayway Task Force wrote:
FDOT continues to throw out Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt in their campaign to get control of toll-setting on the Pinellas Bayway.
In the article above, FDOT Carson says "diverting money from the Skyway is called ‘double tolling,’ and FDOT does not do that."
Task Force Response: We haven't seen an administrative code or law that would prevent "double tolling", but the answer is simple. Just eliminate the toll altogether on the Bayway. Bingo, no double-tolling.
Really? And how do you propose they pay for it? The Skyway is hardly self-sufficient for a reason. A measly $1 barely gets them the right color paint, and you expect that $1 to stretch to the Bayway as well? Not in this economy, where that $1 is worth less and less every day.
Bayway Task Force wrote:
Carson said: "The Pinellas Bayway bridges are not part of the state highway system, which makes it extremely unlikely that Penny for Pinellas funds could be used."
Task Force Response: FDOT didn't have any problem using the Penny for Pinellas funds that were provided for State Road 60 (Memorial Causeway) improvements, and State Road 688 (Ulmerton Road) improvements.
Do you realize what you just said there? You proved FDOT's right. They said, since they Bayway is NOT part of the state highway system, PFP couldn't be used. SR 60 and SR 688 ARE part of the SHS (hence the non-tolled "SR ##" they have) so they're eligible for the PFP. Wow, way to prove your point there....
Bayway Task Force wrote:
Carson says "As far as using federal funding, every federal dollar in the FDOT system is already committed to other projects."
Task Force Response: In the FDOT system? Well, since they are in charge of the use of the funds, they can reallocate some to this important project, or maybe they should ask for additional funding from the federal government.
And hey, how about using some of the $500 million a year that the FDOT has in their budget for "bridge rehabilitation"?
You must live out on the Bayway. That's the same self-centered attitude everyone has out there. These projects, such as the Airport Interchange, widening of I-275, rehabing the Pinellas Interstates, and countless other projects around the state, were planned, developed, and approved long before this debate started. They serve more people and help alleviate some of the worst traffic in the state. The chances of FDOT diverting funds from widening I-275 to replace bridges that are not in the general fund jurisdiction is absurd. Since your peers use the bridge more than most of Florida, you should pay for it and stop trying to milk the system.

As for the tolls being "too high," that's preposterous. What the story misleads about is the $7.25 and $3.50 tolls won't happen UNTIL, not before, 2038, and by that point, with the rate of inflation, what costs $1 today would cost about $3.60 then (based on the 1977-2007 rate on inflation, see http://www.westegg.com/inflation/ ). So, with that in mind, in 2038, the price equivalents today would be about $2.05 and 95, respectively. All things considered, that's not that far-fetched of a jump. Expecting to keep 1980's toll rates forever, however, is far-fetched. Otherwise, the bridges will never be replaced, fall apart, and you'll be forced to take ferries all the time. I'm sure the morning commute would be great for that!

And before anyone suggests it, I don't work for any government agency, nor am I paid by FDOT to support it. I'm just a rational citizen of St. Pete that realizes that money for the government doesn't come out of thin air, unlike most people people in Florida.
read the actual article

Chester, PA

#18 Mar 12, 2008
The jump to 7.25 will occur in 30 years. Hopefully, the person quoted for the article will sleep better knowing that he will never have to face those dreaded 7.25 tolls.
FYA

Winter Garden, FL

#19 Mar 12, 2008
Mr. Hardy, WHAT?? You will not be on this earth in 2038 so who cares. But this is typical of the public, only hear what you want and disregard the rest of the story. and these people vote. I wonder who Bob is voting for in 2038?
Randall Lind

New Port Richey, FL

#20 Mar 12, 2008
When will Florida stop screwing us? They act like the Florida citizen has unlimited funds.

Progress Energy $8-9 increase, Home owners taxes threw the roof now they want $7 to go on roads. Not counting we will no doubt be paying $5 for gas soon.

Why can't Tierra Verde pay for their own bridge? You have to be rich to live there. I think they should pay for their own bridge!
Take your head out of YA

Saint Petersburg, FL

#21 Mar 12, 2008
"Robert Hardy of Clearwater, who has been fishing at Fort DeSoto for 55 years, says a $7.25 toll would end his weekly excursions." WTSP

Robert Hardy will more than likely be dead or too old to go to Ft DeSoto in 2038

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Petersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Treasure Island Mayoral Debate 11 hr Bob 1
Clearwater Beach Honored Again as a Top Beach (Mar '13) Tue Awful 40
Pinellas' Long, Morroni, Hibbard and Susan Latv... Jan 27 Doc Proper 2
Florida catastrophe fund faces shortfall (Oct '11) Jan 25 madoff zionism 4
lookin to chill with dtf girl n not pay Jan 24 Prostitot 2
Hundreds of auto-thefts in St. Pete, what you c... Jan 24 TheWettestBack 2
St. Pete teacher accused of sex with student Jan 24 TheWettestBack 2
St. Petersburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web