Cops hunt for suspect in fight that ended in shooting death

After people fighting outside a St. Paul apartment building Monday afternoon crashed through the front door and into her apartment, 14-year-old Cherio Coleman saw a man with a gun. Full Story
st paul mom

Saint Paul, MN

#25 Jun 10, 2008
It's a pretty sad day when one realizes that disagreeing with someone can result in the end of your life. Maybe we should start a nationwide campaign: Let us just agree to disagree!!!
johnny

Minneapolis, MN

#29 Jun 10, 2008
crayz people
Cindy Stainker

Saint Paul, MN

#30 Jun 10, 2008
Dang wrote:
ok, but I guess I just don't understand how you get "tay" out of "ghta". It is a made up name so I quess its a made way to say it. My bad Cherio.
Many names are not pronounced the way they are spelled. And how do you know it IS a made up name?
ummm

Minneapolis, MN

#31 Jun 10, 2008
How about I remove the distraction of the "funny" name for some of you folks:

"It was shocking to see something like that," said the 11-year-old cousin. "Them doing that, it doesn't inspire the littlest kids."

This quote is poignant to me because:

--A child said it.
--It is wise.
--This child understands that violence is wrong.
--A child witnessed yet another horrific incident and was able to express feelings about it.

Brave and eloquent kid.
PEE

United States

#32 Jun 10, 2008
Antonio Evans was weak racist.
Elfego Baca

Southwest Brevard Cnty, FL

#33 Jun 10, 2008
Shannon Wadding wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe it!
As a Paralegal on the East Side, I find it absurd for the writer of this article to publish the name of a material witness, especially a minor, to the gang shooting turned Homicide.
The writer just put the girl and her family at risk. Arthurlina Wright--if you're reading this contact the crime victim's unit in St. Paul and request protection until the gunman is caught or the threat of quieting witness testimony subsides.
Here is a fact I learned from St. Paul Police Chief John Harrington in his Gangs class at Metropolitan State university--the fact is that the original Vice Lord leaders were brought to Minnesota in the hopes of separating the gang.
Of course, all the latter produced is gangs following their leaders to Minnesota, in which case there are three to four generations of gangs in some families. And not to mention that the Minneapolis politicians denied that there is a gang problem until it was too late.
So, I believe that some of the posts here do not argue the facts, but only argue ignorance of the facts.
You are right! It IS too late now!
middle class white lady

Saint Paul, MN

#34 Jun 10, 2008
PEE wrote:
Antonio Evans was weak racist.
Why do you say that? How do you know?
punk

United States

#35 Jun 10, 2008
Also a woman beater..........
Dang

Rochester, MN

#37 Jun 10, 2008
I wonder if he was related to Harry Evans the cop killer.
Dang

Rochester, MN

#38 Jun 10, 2008
punk wrote:
Also a woman beater..........
Convicted Disorderly Conduct Misdemeanor
9/12/2006 Convicted Domestic Abuse Misdemeanor
4/7/2008 Convicted Domestic Abuse-Violate Order for Protection Gross Misdemeanor
6/5/2007 Convicted Domestic Abuse Gross Misdemeanor
MzNuQueen

AOL

#39 Jun 11, 2008
Dang wrote:
I wonder if he was related to Harry Evans the cop killer.
NO He was not related. When do we stop and think that this young man could have been anyone's child, brother, uncle, nephew? Violence is not the answer, WE ALL ARE RESPONSIBLE IN CREATING A BETTER COMMUNITY. Lives are now forever changed , a Community is changed in a split second of a finger squeeze. When do we as God's children, stand together and work together and use od-given ability to eliminate by our positive actions those elements that lead to hopelessness among our youth?

Why are we wasting our knowledge on this BB with nonsense and hatred and assumptions? I challenge each of the posters to think of someone very close to you in your family for 30 seconds whom you love dearly and then try to understand what you would feel if they were lost in such a senseless manner. I know you can do it.
I am living with the horrible fact that a family member, my nephew Antonio Evans that I love like a son was robbed of his soul by someone who thought they were God.

We are all God's childen, created equally in His image with His attributes to go into the world and become blessings to others. I challenge you to become a blessing in your family, community and nation and refrain from spewing the hatred I have read hear. The names people refer to in the manner they have on this board is disgraceful, however the spelling is correct. I love each of you without knowing you becuase you are a beautifully and wonderfully made child of God who is worthy of that love unconditionally. Please, I ask you to respect the families and communities grieving over this young mans death and those who were involved because the pain and wounding is very deep . My incredible Mother taught me that if I have nothing good to say, "SAY NOTHING" My post is to be a healing word to those hurting, assuming and those just being quick-mouthed.

A Grieving Aunt and Community Organizer/Lobbyist
MzNuQueen

AOL

#40 Jun 11, 2008
st paul mom wrote:
It's a pretty sad day when one realizes that disagreeing with someone can result in the end of your life. Maybe we should start a nationwide campaign: Let us just agree to disagree!!!
St. Paul Mom, I agree and there is work that you may be interested in joining on-board with org's and community to eliminate our children dying in the streets.

In Service.....MzNuQueen
MzNuQueen

AOL

#41 Jun 11, 2008
Shannon Wadding wrote:
I don't believe it!
As a Paralegal on the East Side, I find it absurd for the writer of this article to publish the name of a material witness, especially a minor, to the gang shooting turned Homicide.
The writer just put the girl and her family at risk. Arthurlina Wright--if you're reading this contact the crime victim's unit in St. Paul and request protection until the gunman is caught or the threat of quieting witness testimony subsides.
Who said it was a gang shooting? Please people, stop assumiing you know what you think you know and remember this could have happened anywhere....Remember Virginia Tech? Columbine? This is happening everwhere on a global front. Walk in the shoes of another and always remember that there is the power of life and death in the tongue.
truth will set you free

Minneapolis, MN

#42 Jun 12, 2008
The truth is Nino (Antonio Evans) was a person in extreme pain. He grew up in foster homes. It makes my blood boil that vulnerable children have to endure the sort of things he suffered. His family is full of drug abusers and crimininals. He wanted help but didn't know how to get it. He made many bad choices, and has now paid the ultimate price. I think honoring his life would be working on how to stop the cycle of children suffering when their parents and family, for whatever reason, can't be there for their children.
I know you're now at peace Nino.
MzNuQueen

AOL

#43 Jun 12, 2008
truth will set you free wrote:
The truth is Nino (Antonio Evans) was a person in extreme pain. He grew up in foster homes. It makes my blood boil that vulnerable children have to endure the sort of things he suffered. His family is full of drug abusers and crimininals. He wanted help but didn't know how to get it. He made many bad choices, and has now paid the ultimate price. I think honoring his life would be working on how to stop the cycle of children suffering when their parents and family, for whatever reason, can't be there for their children.
I know you're now at peace Nino.
My Dearest Truth,

Honoring Antonio's life requires that we show respect as well as honesty without disparaging his family. Speak truth or say nothing. Get involved in saving our families, children and communites. Let us come together for t he sake of all families and work positively to make that change. BTW, I am not a criminal or drug abuser nor are other family members of Nino (Antonio) and Nino did not grow up in foster homes. I respectfully ask that we carefully guard our words in all we do.

Nino's grieving aunt/community organizer/lobbyist
Hmmmm

Saint Paul, MN

#44 Jun 12, 2008
The plot thickens
truth will set you free

Minneapolis, MN

#45 Jun 13, 2008
MzNuQueen wrote:
<quoted text>
My Dearest Truth,
Honoring Antonio's life requires that we show respect as well as honesty without disparaging his family. Speak truth or say nothing. Get involved in saving our families, children and communites. Let us come together for t he sake of all families and work positively to make that change. BTW, I am not a criminal or drug abuser nor are other family members of Nino (Antonio) and Nino did not grow up in foster homes. I respectfully ask that we carefully guard our words in all we do.
Nino's grieving aunt/community organizer/lobbyist
It's interesting to me that you see the truth as disparaging. The first step in addressing individual, family, and community problems is to tell the truth. It makes me sick that you can't honor Nino's life by being honest about our families problems. He, along with the our other nieces and nephews, are products of our family issues. I think community work and healing start at home. How about instead of talking about saving the community, you start working on saving your family?

Here's the truth:

Nino is from a family of criminals and drug abusers.(The truth is not disparaging)
Nino was in tremendous pain.
Nino did make bad choices and hurt others.
His life could be honored if the truth of his experience is shared and learned from.

Since: Jun 08

AOL

#46 Jun 13, 2008
Dearest Truth and other posters,

I ask to to re-read my post again. If you are a family member as you claim to be, my email is MzNuQueen@aol.com. Please don't hide behind a screenname.

I am showing honor to Antonio, family and community by speaking out, doing the work and praying for all involved. Forgiveness for all involved is where we need to start not blaming and pointing fingers. When someone kills a member of a family they have inflicted unimaginable pain upon anyone and everyone who loves and cares for this person. I also would pray for these children of God who are affected by the Cain and Abel influence simply because this would be showing obedience to God. We were created in His image and He loves us. It is the sin factor that separates us from God. As Christians, we believe in Christ who is our Lamb sacrifice which eliminates that separation. All of this needs to be taken into account when we're talking about forgiveness.

Let Antonio's life and memory of him be not in vain, come to the healing table with me and others as we grieve the loss of Antonio. I humbly speak to your heart and the hearts of others here to become involved in the journey towards building stronger families, identifying elements that break down families and building solid solutions for parents, children and communities who are in this life experience together.

MzNuQueen
truth will set you free

Minneapolis, MN

#47 Jun 13, 2008
MzNuQueen wrote:
I ask to to re-read my post again. If you are a family member as you claim to be, my email is MzNuQueen@aol.com. Please don't hide behind a screenname.
I am showing honor to Antonio, family and community by speaking out, doing the work and praying for all involved. Forgiveness for all involved is where we need to start not blaming and pointing fingers. When someone kills a member of a family they have inflicted unimaginable pain upon anyone and everyone who loves and cares for this person. I also would pray for these children of God who are affected by the Cain and Abel influence simply because this would be showing obedience to God. We were created in His image and He loves us. It is the sin factor that separates us from God. As Christians, we believe in Christ who is our Lamb sacrifice which eliminates that separation. All of this needs to be taken into account when we're talking about forgiveness.
Let Antonio's life and memory of him be not in vain, come to the healing table with me and others as we grieve the loss of Antonio. I humbly speak to your heart and the hearts of others here to become involved in the journey towards building stronger families, identifying elements that break down families and building solid solutions for parents, children and communities who are in this life experience together.
MzNuQueen
It is sad to me that the truth isn't important to you and that sin is being honest about one's family. I believe that not telling the truth is how a family leaves a negative legacy and continues patterns of drug abuse, criminal activity, and neglect of their children.
All forgiveness starts with telling the truth. You don't get forgiveness and reconciliation, without the truth- examples of this include the apartheid reconciliation process, or Dr. King's legacy (King's book, Strength to Love). I'm grateful that you're finding some peace in your faith. It doesn't excuse you from the hard work, I think God expects of each of us, that is telling and honoring the truth of a situation to serve a higher purpose. Nino deserves that.
Mnnative

Rochester, MN

#48 Jun 13, 2008
MzNuQueen wrote:
MzNuQueen
Very sweet and tender. It is sad that he had to pass. I agree with you and the key is for all the low life ghetto bangers to STOP IT. STOP having a bazzilion kids by worthless men who are not going to be there and be real fathers to these kids. Find the little punk who shot him and lock him up. You can talk as flowery as you want but in plain talk the community that is producing and condoning this and the activity that leads up to this has got to stand up and say it is wrong!!! Not "DO NOT JUDGE THEM, YOU DON"T KNOW..." crap and tell them THIS IS WRONG!! About every 10 days there is another young black man dead, by the hand of another black man. The problem is that hooddrats are taking over! Hood rats, lowlifes, ganbanger, ghetto queens it's all the same. It needs to stop! And pointing fingers is a start!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Paul Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
West St. Paul: South Robert Street makeover in ... Oct 17 Abby 1
Family fears woman latest Minnesotan drawn to S... Oct 17 car mat 2
Lawsuit accusing St. Paul cops of avenging fall... Oct 15 PB in Saint Paul 1
St. Paul to boost paid leave for new parents Oct 15 PB in Saint Paul 1
Drunken zombie Santa arrested after invading home Oct 15 Kid_Tomorrow 2
Capitol City Meats closes, and butcher Jimmy Bi... (Aug '10) Oct 15 Big Dave 73
Judge OKs Settlement in Minn. Church Abuse Case Oct 14 cantmakeitup 2
St. Paul Dating
Find my Match

St. Paul Jobs