Minnesota students stuck in Guatemala

Full story: TwinCities.com

A man pushes a wheelbarrow of mud as he helps clean street near his house in Amatitlan, 35 kilometers south of Guatemala City on June 1, 2010.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of21
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Tooner

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2010

Judged:

So what in the Sam H#ll are they vacationing in that country for right before graduation? They should have went hiking in a war zone!
zingbopper

Turtle Lake, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Judged:

I guess people havent learned from the 3 stooges in Iran, that maybe you should just stay home. yeah, I know they arent imprisioned there, but why must we hear about this crap, no one cares.
Pleeezzzz

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Judged:

Ridiculous "trip". People are nuts to let their kids travel like this. Lots of good, charitable deeds to perform here in our own cities.
Andy

Brainerd, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Pleeezzzz wrote:
Ridiculous "trip". People are nuts to let their kids travel like this. Lots of good, charitable deeds to perform here in our own cities.
I thought that's what the government is for?
wsp

South Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Judged:

I think it's a wonderful opportunity that these kids had, both to see and live another culture as well as help a bit.
I'm praying for their safety!
Lobo

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Why can't they graduate in absentia? If they finished their coursework and took their finals they should be able to graduate, even if they are unable to travel back from Guatemala
San Lucas Fan

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Judged:

I have a few comments for all of you:
1. I have been to this same place in Guatemala nearly 1/2 dozen times. It is an amazing community outreach mission that buys land for the native people, employs 1000's of people and helps give skills to those who need employment. When you visit this place, you get the opportunity to work along side the Guatemalans in the village AND you learn an important lesson on 3rd world countries, poverty and the struggle of how to best help. It is wonderful that the Vis girls are taking the time to go help and learn in this beautiful country.
2. Weather Happens. End of story. I've been stranded in my own home due to bad weather. When you travel, you chance getting stuck. If we had mudslides in Minnesota, they would also be stranded.
3. Graduation at Vis is special and is a tradition. With such a small class size, graduation would not be the same with the missing 16 young women.
4. Thank you Visitation for doing this trip yearly. It is great that you give your students the opportunity to serve both locally, and internationally.
Fan of San Lucas Fan

Waconia, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Judged:

Couldn't of said it better myself!
Unfortunetly, your comments went right over their heads.
Traveler

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Judged:

I have been to Guatemala twice and can assure you the country ia a crapcan. There is no redeaming value to it and the only culture these students will pick up is how to be a druglord in North Minneapolis. Everything is dirty, stinky and the people are right out of about the year 1910. I cant think of a place I would want to go less. I was there on business and would quit my job rather than return to that hellhole. Schools need to get over the idea that to do good works, you have to go to backward countries where the people dont even know they need our "help".
jim

Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Judged:

Pleeezzzz wrote:
The freeloaders in this country think they are entitled to help. I traveled to Guatemala almost 20 times and the people are very appreciative. They are bad some areas just like any country. You do your homework and stay away from them. I feel safer in Guatemala than I do in Detroit, by far!!!
Fan of Traveler

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Judged:

Bravo. Well said. I guess it just makes the privileged of our society feel better about themselves to go to an a##-backward nation and think they're "helping". Makes you realize how fortunate you are to only have a used Solara to get back & forth from Mendota Heights. There is poverty & "wonderful" people right here. To take a risky trip like that a week before graduation is ridiculous. Sorry for the girls to miss all of the excitement and fun of graduation, but the trip was ill-timed. Guess they had to go on their family cruises over spring break........
They are Enroute

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Judged:

Stranded Visitation Students Heading Home Today
Sixteen Visitation seniors who have been participating in a service-learning mission trip in Guatemala since last Monday – and who were originally scheduled to come home on June 2 – will head home via the airport in San Salvador, El Salvador, starting today.
The students’ original travel plans were cancelled when they received news that the airport in Guatemala City would be closed through Friday, June 4, due to poor weather conditions and the after-effects of a volcanic explosion in Guatemala. As a result of this cancellation, Visitation administrators have worked closely with parents, students and chaperones in Guatemala, Senator Amy Klobuchar's office, and the United States Embassies in Guatemala and El Salvador to make sure that the students and chaperones working in Guatemala return home safely and quickly.
The students and chaperones left the mission in San Lucas, Guatemala, this morning and are scheduled to arrive in San Salvador this evening. They will spend the night in San Salvador and fly out on Thursday, June 3, for Houston, with a connecting flight to Minneapolis, which is scheduled to arrive at approximately 10 p.m. that same day. In the meantime, Visitation staff members will stay in contact with the group and look forward to the safe return of our students and teachers.
harriet glazer

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

how about the students from University of Maryland when are they getting out...
harriet glazer

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

So how about the students from UniverswityofMaryland ...when are3 they getting out
rhonda in Louisiana

Denham Springs, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2010

Judged:

Praise God that He reigns even through storms! Praise God that these girls have such maturity and love for humanity to step out in faith. Praying that those with negative comments will one day "get it." The people of Central America are worthy of our care and concern.
Smartass

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2010

Judged:

They must be spies. What kind of God lets innocent kids go thru all of that ?
Nancy

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2010

I went on a service trip like this to Guatemala and it was like nothing else I have ever experienced, don't condone their parents because they are allowing their children to experience the world and be somewhat independant...all the girls from this school go off to college in 3 short months anyways. I think its too bad their experience was dampered by the horrific events that have recently occured in Guatemala...we should all pray for their safe return and for all the people still suffering in Guat.
Buckboards

Stillwater, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

Nancy wrote:
I went on a service trip like this to Guatemala and it was like nothing else I have ever experienced, don't condone their parents because they are allowing their children to experience the world and be somewhat independant...all the girls from this school go off to college in 3 short months anyways. I think its too bad their experience was dampered by the horrific events that have recently occured in Guatemala...we should all pray for their safereturn and for all the people still suffering in Guat.
generally agree accept the part about sheltering the girls.
All girls school is really sheltering.
Quevedo

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2010

i think they chose a good decision to visit Guatemala. people who visit this beautiful country come back admired of all their mountains, lakes etc... wow that country is amazing guy. I sagest to every body go to know there. it is not really danger like, so many people comment in U.s.a about it.

Since: Jul 12

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

I have visited And have family there. Guatemala has some of the most beautiful country side I have ever seen. It is such a shame to hear people speak of this country with such negativity. Yes parts of this place can be dirty but so are areas in America. The people of this country are thankful for the help and jobs created by such programs as the one these girls were doing. Next time you were holister guess American eagle or aeropastle realize thats where your clothes are being made and if these people are so poor as some say they are take a look at the clothes they wear its exactly the same as the clothes sold in the states only they didnt pay outrageous retail prices like many of us did! They are hard working people who are clean and are not wasteful. If you think they got a lesson on how to be a drug lord you are crazy the government and people of Guatemala have done much to rid there country of gangs coming from El Salvador into Guate with there drugs and crime. I was there for almost a month this year in Amatitlan, only 2 people were killed while I was there one was from a traffic accident and one was alcohol related. In the city I live in there were 12 people killed that month. I think people need to pull there heads out of there rear ends and realize that crime, poverty, drugs....those things are every where. Each country has some not so nice areas but also some of the most beautiful places. I think unfortunately thoose girls had a much longer stay than they anticipated but probably have some really cool memories and experiences they will never forget. I applaud them!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of21
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

St. Paul Jobs

•••
•••
•••

St. Paul People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance