A horrible rape, but just months in jail

A horrible rape, but just months in jail

There are 107 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 20, 2008, titled A horrible rape, but just months in jail. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Faced with a St. Paul man who plied a 13-year-old girl with pot and booze and raped her after she passed out, the judge shook his head and sighed, then he imposed a six-month jail sentence.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
a concerned parent

Madison Lake, MN

#130 Feb 22, 2008
HangEM wrote:
I believe the parents are as much at fault for letting the raper get away like this. They could've pressed on and go forward with the trial but they decided because their kids were too innecent to get in the mix. Maybe the parents are okay with this kind of activities. If it were me... the rapers would be dead or at least alive until they get out from a long sentence and than be dead!
You cna say what ever you want on here but if it were your daughter and she couldn't face the worthless human being that raped her in court, I hope you wouldn't force her to just so you could get revenge. Believe me I really think the parents thought about doing all of those things but they have to think of there children and how it would effect them. So please don't tell everyone how you would handle it unless you were in that spot.
nunyabizness

Burnsville, MN

#131 Feb 22, 2008
Oh gee Utah can you help me? I have this problem where I seem to think that, and I hate to say this, but when it comes to PC I'm in total agreement with you. It, if left unchecked and allowed to run rampant will definitely destroy this country. There is something abhorently wrong with judging people for what they are, as opposed to who they are. Liberal or conservative isn't the problem. Extremism on either side is. The hatred that exists in this country isn't between one side of the aisle or the other. It's between the radicals. Most religions are based on "the golden rule," as are Muslims. Let the extreme faction, whacko, radicals have their way----and you see what we've got. Remember, more people have died in the name of religion than anything else. How many kids have you got? What are their ages? I.e. what do you base your opinions, experience, and expertise on? If you've got kids; raise them well. If you are childless, remember not to condemn a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. It sounds with your "two state status" that you perhaps have some means. Means, that presumptively allow you to elevate yourself onto the pedestal you preach from. Keep in mind some people are out there bustin' their ass to make ends meet; doing the best they can to raise their kids, and I'm not sure your pompous, holier than thou attitude is what they need. Do ya gotta be a prick your whole life?
Kathryn

Louisville, KY

#135 Feb 22, 2008
Theses men should be in prison until the girl is an adult and has had time to recover and learn how to cope with them getting out of prison.
jack

Minneapolis, MN

#136 Feb 22, 2008
Mother of the victim- youre on here saying your piece, why cant you do it in court? it doesnt matter here but in court it would of...
NNR

Cottage Grove, MN

#137 Feb 27, 2008
Back When wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry NNR, I know that MR.T is an idiot, but your statement above that "a 13 year old hardly "knows better." Kids that age want someone to pay attention to them.", is either wrong or we have gone horribly wrong as a society, I can't decide which. When I was 13, 25 years ago, I and everyone I knew certainly knew better than to go somewhere with an adult we did't know. We knew that we weren't allowed to drink, smoke or do drugs. We knew what our parents had taught us and what would happen if we disobeyed. I also know that if anyone had seen some 30 year olds approaching us and trying to lure us away, someone would have stopped it.
Now I am the father of 4 girls, 6,9,13 and 15. They have been taught as I was that there are dangers in the world and that there are certain things you simply do not do. I know that my two teenagers would not let themselves be put in the position that this girl did. They are smarter than that and they know better.
Finally, you said that "kids that age want someone to pay attention to them", well I think tha, that is a really sad statement. That you think that all kids that age need random strangers twice their age to "pay attention" to them and that it was normal to go with them says a whole lot about the world that we live in and the warped way so many people think about things now. I realize that this girl did not deserve what happened to her, and I believe the man who did it to her should be executed, but I can also see that this 13 year old should have known better than to put herself into that situation, and certainly should have been afraid of what could happen to her (and sadly did happen) because there are bad guys out there that we need to protect OURSELVES from even as children. We should not accept that 13 year olds want drugs and want to party, and need attention, so badly that they will go wherever, with whomever, at anytime. That is not acceptable.
I'm not sure you'll see this as we are long way into this discussion board, but I'll try anyway. I agree we should not accept that 13-year-olds want attention so badly they will put themselves in harm's way, but it's a sad fact for a lot of kids. Your kids get their attention from you; I would suggest most do not get enough attention from parents. A recent UofM study of kids in St. Paul shows that girls' self-esteem bottoms out at age 12-13. So, these girls were sadly "ripe."
I work with kids, most of them good, Christian kids from good families, and even they are starved for attention and confused about what is really of value. They have been told by media and advertisers that being sexy means being lovable, that owning stuff is the only way you're "in," that drinking is the only way to have fun, etc. While good parents make a huge difference, not all kids have good parents, and not all parents are able to break through the world's influences.
I'm not saying at all that we should accept that any of this is OK, rather the opposite. But condemning these kids or their parents (Mr. T IS AN IDIOT and I am shouting) and suggesting they are at fault because they should know better does nothing to fix the problem with society. As a society (not as individual parents, and thank you that you are raising your kids with honesty and directness) we are failing this generation. We have allowed corporate and personal greed to confuse our kids with mixed messages, very few of which say "You are valuable and we love you."
to the judge

Minneapolis, MN

#138 Feb 27, 2008
this is crazy! you can sell crack and get 10 ten years or more but you can take a 13 year girl and violate her and take some thing away she will never get back he get 6 mos and gets out and do this again and again why not if you only get 6mons that what wrong with the world today i am not saying that drug dealer should not get any time but it should be lesser and when you violate any one man woman someone kid you should get 10 years .
girlfriend of diunte

Kansas City, MO

#140 Sep 16, 2012
first.and foremost you people need to realize what and how these fast ass little girls are now a days before jumping to conclusions,this girls where old enough to say no to drugs or anything,i dont feel sorry for them n what where they even doimg on the eastside late at night,where was.the parents then,and everybody knows its dangerous to be out walking and I heard they not even from saint paul...diunte is not a bad man,he to has kids and care for them with alot of love......so the parent of the victim,you need to watch your kids more and monitor what they do....sincerly quit fucking up our black nation..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Paul Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Blog reveals Sieferman's happier times as a mom (Aug '08) Jul 25 UpToDate 16
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Saint Paul (Nov '13) Jul 24 lhuset 43
MTV racial Profiling Video Jul 21 Fiona Flapjack 2
News The Latest: Indiana man accused of shooting at ... Jul 21 southern at heart 21
A Question Jul 18 Fed up 2
CCW Permit RESPONSIBILITY Jul 18 Fed up 4
News Stopped 52 times by police: Was it racial profi... Jul 18 Fed up 154

St. Paul Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

St. Paul Mortgages