Residents of Inver Grove Heights mobi...

Residents of Inver Grove Heights mobile home park sue owner ove...

There are 64 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 25, 2008, titled Residents of Inver Grove Heights mobile home park sue owner ove.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Residents of the Skyline Village Mobile Home Community in Inver Grove Heights have sued the park's owner for raising the rent to "unreasonable" levels while failing to respond to maintenance requests.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
a resident

United States

#1 Mar 26, 2008
I live in North Star Estate in Little Canada and our lot rent is up at $446.00 a month. The last few snow falls we had when it was2 inches they did not plow because it was nice and it was going to melt. We have standing water everywhere. When asked why the rent goes up every year theres always a reason which I feel is not good enough. We only have a storm shelter and a small playground for just the little ones. Our older children are not allowed to ride there bikes or ride the skateboards in the park. Where do they want these kids to go? OUt in the street where we have heavy traffic? All mobile home parks have some sort of complaints and theres really nothing that can get done. They are raising the rent every year and soon we will not even have elderly living here because they will be walking from there homes because they will not be able to afford it much longer. Taxes cant be that much that they raise it every year or trash and water isnt that high also. Times 446 by about 210 homes and that is alot of money. Where does it all go? I think that the state should step up and help the people who live in mobile homes and tell the owners to do more for us and not allow them to keep raising our rent. They need to do more for us if they want to raise it. We have to take care of our own yards and upkeep so who is really benefitting from all the money? The owners of course. Heip keep the cost of owning a moblie home down with soaring lot rents.
Rick

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Mar 26, 2008
Why is it that the issue of repairs only come up when they don't want to pay the rent. This sounds like an easy fix....make the repairs and improve it to the max and double the rents to cover the cost. Problem solved.
John

United States

#4 Mar 26, 2008
Why dont you move?? Vote with your dollars that will get their attention!
John

United States

#5 Mar 26, 2008
Trailer parks were designed to be a affordable housing option for low-income folks, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I thought to rent a lot was around $200 a month.....I think you are being gouged! I think the gov't needs to step in and regulate it, mandate rent control. This could be one more free market flaw.
Wondering

Cannon Falls, MN

#6 Mar 26, 2008
Any time you don't like what is going on, try to change it. No body is forcing you to remain there. Shut up and move!!!
John

United States

#7 Mar 26, 2008
Bonnie L wrote:
Typical "trailer trash" people. Instead of expecting everyone to do something for you, why don't you do something for yourself? If the rent is so unfairly high, move out to where the amount is more to your liking? While everyone else's taxes are going through the roof along with insurance costs, are you really that stupid to think that costs are not going up that much? Why don't you call the county and see how much the taxes have gone up?
They are not trailer trash.
how rude

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Mar 26, 2008
Bonnie L wrote:
Typical "trailer trash" people. Instead of expecting everyone to do something for you, why don't you do something for yourself? If the rent is so unfairly high, move out to where the amount is more to your liking? While everyone else's taxes are going through the roof along with insurance costs, are you really that stupid to think that costs are not going up that much? Why don't you call the county and see how much the taxes have gone up?
You're a rude biatch.. not everyone who lives in a trailer is trailer trash - the majority of people are the elderly.
Shake Rattle Roll

Diamond Bar, CA

#9 Mar 26, 2008
Rick wrote:
Why is it that the issue of repairs only come up when they don't want to pay the rent. This sounds like an easy fix....make the repairs and improve it to the max and double the rents to cover the cost. Problem solved.
Not everyone can live in your mom's basement. By the way, did you give her last month's rent? She was complaining last week. You may want to calm her down a little.
Shake Rattle Roll

Diamond Bar, CA

#10 Mar 26, 2008
Bonnie L wrote:
You're absolutely right. So I'm going to take action and stop paying for your illegitimate children. You need to stop popping them out and get a job. You may use me as a reference.
John

United States

#11 Mar 26, 2008
Bonnie L wrote:
You could become seriously ill or lose your job and end up in a trailer park. Do you have good health insurance and a stable job, bonnie? Are you a zillioaire?
StPaul

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Mar 26, 2008
If it's too expensive, hook your house to the back of your Chevy and move on down the road. Easy. Done.
Franklin Adams

Fargo, ND

#14 Mar 26, 2008
Cry me a river, everybody has their own problems. I own a small, older house (750 sq. feet) out in the country with about 40 acres of land, mostly swamp land and a small meadow. My property taxes and insurance come to nearly $400/month. That of course does not include repairs. New roof will be about 13 grand this summer. I also need new windows, about 15 grand. So, as you can see, it is not cheap to be a property owner and I cannot even sue anyone over it.
girlygirl

Broadview Heights, OH

#15 Mar 26, 2008
People who live in trailers are not trash. Growing up, my parents wanted us to move to a trailer for easier upkeep. We ended up not moving, but I really wanted to--the trailer was nicer than our small two bedroom home! However, I wonder what the rental contracts state--if the management is required to maintain the roads and trees, it should be done. If the tenants are required to maintain the appearance and functionality of the trailers, they should do so. I have seen a lot of trailers that are much nicer than some homes! Labeling someone as trash because of their circumstances is cruel.
MsDemeanor

Saint Paul, MN

#24 Mar 26, 2008
Remember, this is the place of many suspicious fires not too long ago(some in empty trailers)! A landlord taking rent has a responsibility for upkeep at which these people have sorely and consistently failed. Hope the court case is successful.
Lily

Minneapolis, MN

#25 Mar 26, 2008
There is nothing wrong with living in a trailor park. Pretty much the same as living in an apartment. How you keep up your property is up to you. If everyone works together a lot of up keep, cleanup, and other things can get done. It is a community--look to see how you can help each other out, instead of relying on the management to do it--and charge back the management. You can have a wonderful place to live and be proud of where you live.
GetaLife

Farmington, MN

#26 Mar 26, 2008
Aren't you a bunch of judgmental jerks! Why is this any different than someone living in an apartment owned by a slum lord? I don't live in a trailer park, nor have I ever. However, they pay their rent, they are entitled to have their landlord maintain the property. As far as the goverment stepping in, WHY??? Why is it that everyone expects the goverment to take care of them and solve their problems?? That isn't what the government is for. It is there to set up a structure for us to live by, not to hold our hands and take care of us through life.
IGH resident

Minneapolis, MN

#27 Mar 26, 2008
Bonnie L wrote:
First of all, calling someone Trailer trash is a little tacky. Having used to live in Emerald hills park in IGH I know not all people living in trailor parks are freeloaders. Many of them are just starting out on their own or elderly. I have since built my own home and am probably better off then you. As far as the rent costs, they do continue to go up every year without any incentive to the resident. In fact, the park that I lived in required the residents to pay their own property taxes. And as someone that has paid them I can tell you that the cost of property taxes a year and the increase do not warrent such a high hike in rent. So instead of berating these people that you don't even know maybe you should take your own advice and move. I mean, it is just so much worse to pay your property taxes, right?
TJl

Minneapolis, MN

#28 Mar 26, 2008
Granted different parts of that park are really nice, and some are really bad. If you have never been there, think of east st. paul. You go through one neighborhood and its terrible and then you drive two blocks up and its great. I dont think its fair to call everyone who lives in it trash. And its not cheap to live in a trailer. Its like buying a house, you have to pay monthly on that alone, and then lot rent. I dont think the residents are asking that much, and Mgmt. there does not do upkeep well. Good luck to them!
Gustav

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#29 Mar 26, 2008
Franklin Adams wrote:
Cry me a river, everybody has their own problems. I own a small, older house (750 sq. feet) out in the country with about 40 acres of land, mostly swamp land and a small meadow. My property taxes and insurance come to nearly $400/month. That of course does not include repairs. New roof will be about 13 grand this summer. I also need new windows, about 15 grand. So, as you can see, it is not cheap to be a property owner and I cannot even sue anyone over it.
Mr. Adams, you sound like a land Barron with 40 acres. Push over that hovel, and put up a million dollar home on that land like your neighbors and be somebody!!!! I bet you are an evil Republican that hates little children to.
Deb

Minneapolis, MN

#30 Mar 26, 2008
Bonnie L wrote:
Bonnie Bonnie Bonnie -

If only it were that easy. What you fail to take into consideration is that the vast majority of the mobile homes are owner occupied, so the high rent is IN ADDITION TO their home payment. One can't just move because you'd need to sell your home first.

Regarding the 'trailer trash' comment; as my mother used to say - "When you are pointing a finger at someone, look where your other fingers are pointing." You owe all mobile home owners an apology.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Paul Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: Democratic sources: Smith to replac... 1 hr CodeTalker 20
News Garrison Keillor's 'Prairie Home Companion' suc... 16 hr Theocraencyclical 61
News St. Paul / Porky's drive-in is going for a ride (Apr '11) Dec 12 Berand Kirchner 31
News CAIR-MN, Social Justice Groups to Hold Anti-Hat... (Jun '17) Dec 10 Faith 5
Midway Safety Dec 10 Safety First 2
Joseph wood Dec 7 Bob wood 2
and Donald Trump Grabbing Female Genitalia but ... Dec 6 Gropalicious 1

St. Paul Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

St. Paul Mortgages