West St. Paul / Signal Hills mall cit...

West St. Paul / Signal Hills mall cited by city for maintenance...

There are 38 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Aug 6, 2008, titled West St. Paul / Signal Hills mall cited by city for maintenance.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

West St. Paul officials have cited the owner of Signal Hills Shopping Center for boarded-up windows, a leaky roof, mold problems and other alleged property maintenance issues.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rufus_T_Firefly

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Aug 7, 2008
EagleEyeSharon wrote:
Look at how the Judge Leslie Metzen treated Alice Krengel to steal her Home
http://www.google.com/search...
also at http://alicekrengel.blogspot.com
Lay off the crack pipe Sharon
Spanky

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Aug 7, 2008
My only complaint is that the city hasnt acted sooner against Signal Hills. The owners have made the mall a horrible neighbor which has depreciated adjacent property values -not unlike Alice Krengel whose continued property violations affected her neighbors property values and sapped limited city resources.
Cindy Stainker

United States

#4 Aug 7, 2008
I remember when I was a kid, my mom and dad used to take us to Signal Hills Mall. It was a big deal to go there. They also used to take us to the A&W out in West St Paul, sometimes that was an even bigger deal than the mall.
Kat

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Aug 7, 2008
The mall definitely needs something done to it. Every time I drive by I'm reminded of how much of an eye-sore that mall really is. Hopefully something gets figured out.
Pragmatist

Clear Lake, MN

#6 Aug 7, 2008
The city must have their eye on the property for something else, or they would have acted long ago.
Cyndie

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Aug 7, 2008
It's West St. Paul--we should be used to it by now. Have they done one good thing for their city in the past 10 or so years? I don't think so. Bring back a viable mall with a roof and walking space for the elderly. They counted on it for their daily exercise. Where have those poor folk gone? Maybe on a good day they can walk around the Big K parking lot--it rarely has many cars in it. BIG MISTAKE WSP.
A CRUSTY PLACE

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Aug 7, 2008
The building should be condemned if there is mold growing in there. Do you know how sick you can get from mold growth of any kind?
Disgusting.
The Big K-ma-part is a crusty over-priced tenant and no national big retailer is gonna want to rent along side of a K MART! CRUST-O-MATIC if you ask me.
:)
I love Inver Grove Heights, what it should have is a brand new Mall build similar to the one in Cottage Grove. The residents of IGH have been paying very expensive taxes for a long time, and deserve to have a nice mall owned by some decent investors.
Hopefully they can figure this one out.
Cyndie

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Aug 7, 2008
A CRUSTY PLACE wrote:
The building should be condemned if there is mold growing in there. Do you know how sick you can get from mold growth of any kind?
Disgusting.
The Big K-ma-part is a crusty over-priced tenant and no national big retailer is gonna want to rent along side of a K MART! CRUST-O-MATIC if you ask me.
:)
I love Inver Grove Heights, what it should have is a brand new Mall build similar to the one in Cottage Grove. The residents of IGH have been paying very expensive taxes for a long time, and deserve to have a nice mall owned by some decent investors.
Hopefully they can figure this one out.
Right on! I don't live "in the groove heights" but I agree they deserve a nice mall. They've done some great things with their city. Puts some of the others to shame. WSP--take a lesson from a city that knows how to treat its residents!
Pragmatist

Clear Lake, MN

#11 Aug 7, 2008
Cyndie wrote:
<quoted text>Right on! I don't live "in the groove heights" but I agree they deserve a nice mall. They've done some great things with their city. Puts some of the others to shame. WSP--take a lesson from a city that knows how to treat its residents!
Maybe IGH could just annex WSP........
Cyndie

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Aug 7, 2008
Pragmatist wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe IGH could just annex WSP........
There's an idea! But the city council would probably shoot that one down too.
PEE

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Aug 7, 2008
This is Eminant Domain in progress: West St. Paul is a focus site for welfare expansion programs. Not much we can do untill we vote theses visionaries out of office.
Kaye Ellis

Robertsville, MO

#15 Aug 7, 2008
What about Arthur Treacher's and Farrel's Ice Cream Parlour? I miss Midnight Madness sales; when the whole mall was open for business.*SIGH* I also remember times when Robert Street didn't look quite so trashy.
Cindy Stainker wrote:
I remember when I was a kid, my mom and dad used to take us to Signal Hills Mall. It was a big deal to go there. They also used to take us to the A&W out in West St Paul, sometimes that was an even bigger deal than the mall.
IvyFalls

San Francisco, CA

#16 Aug 7, 2008
Hey - all who went to Grass Jr. High in the 70's! This is a charming tongue-in-cheek video:
The Truth

Portland, OR

#17 Aug 7, 2008
West St.Paul is the laughing stock of the Twin Cities,It's a dirty,trashy,run-down eyesore.

No decent business would set up shop there until the city council is ousted and replaced with one with one that cares about the city's future.

Start with razing Signal Hills and for Gods sake make JT's tear down that gawdy sign of theirs.
Hareeb al-Sac

United States

#18 Aug 7, 2008
The Truth wrote:
West St.Paul is the laughing stock of the Twin Cities,It's a dirty,trashy,run-down eyesore.
No decent business would set up shop there until the city council is ousted and replaced with one with one that cares about the city's future.
Start with razing Signal Hills and for Gods sake make JT's tear down that gawdy sign of theirs.
Yeah right, IGH is so wonderful, they can't even fund their schools. They shoot down every levy referendum. In about 10 years you will see a bunch of slack-jawed yokels running the streets (much like today)
Ben There

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Aug 7, 2008
Signal Hills went to pot because too many of their tenants either went out of business or were swallowed up by bigger fish who decided to close up smaller operations. When the big tenants left, people quit shopping there.

I remember Warner Hardware, Red Owl, J.C. Penney's, Schaak Electronics, Fanny Farmer, Van Arsdells, The Foot Locker, The shoe repair place, O'Gara's East, Radio Shack, the ice cream place, and probably a few others if I took the time.

I agree that the City of West St. Paul always seems to be at war with its residents and businesses and I don't have much faith in their ability to deal with the Signal Hills issue (or any other problem).

The answer is to vote in people who have a practical vision for West St. Paul's future.

AdultsPlease

San Pablo, CA

#20 Aug 7, 2008
EagleEyeSharon wrote:
Look at how the Judge Leslie Metzen treated Alice Krengel to steal her Home
http://www.google.com/search...
also at http://alicekrengel.blogspot.com
So she has diabetes, that gives her the right to destroy her neighborhood, and suck up police time? I don't get it. If she's a diabetic, she shouldn't have been a drunk, not really healthy.

Yeah,the litigation is too much. HOpe they sell her house to recover it, because 180 police calls in any number of years is too damn many.

Poor her, she violates the law and loses her house. Maybe then she'd stop drinking and causing problems.
GMH

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Aug 7, 2008
Well I do live in Inver Grove Heights and will continue to pay the high taxes just to keep this type of mall out of out city! We do not want the the type of clintele that visits this mall in our neighborhood. Look at what it has done to W.S.P. Which by the way I grew up in and wouldn't move back there if you paid me! I am trying my hardest to get may parents to move out of there! They have let a great little city turn into the slums! It's too bad. Bring Herberger's back...
Minnesota_Thomas

Minneapolis, MN

#22 Aug 7, 2008
The city of West ST. Paul is too busy trying to keep a lid on that pocket of crime that grew in the clustering of Section 8 apartments on or near Oakdale Ave. between Marie and Southview/Mendota RD. Driving through there at night is akin to North Minneapolis. I spoke with the retired police chief Terry Cook about that area some years back and he says about 90% of the police budget was spent in that area alone.

Now it's spreading to the north end of the city between Annapolis south to Butler. The city council is doing a very poor job representing the taxpayers of the city.
JTY

Olathe, KS

#23 Aug 7, 2008
Cindy Stainker wrote:
Same here. I stopped going there after the theater closed and the book store moved out (I think it was a B. Dalton). Even before they closed that those two theaters were in horrible condition.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Paul Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clarks submarine Sandwich (Dec '08) Jun 16 Coaltrane 153
OMG, Dayton Hospitalized, Is he on Medicare? Jun 13 Inquisitor 4
News Hugo man accused of luring girl in St. Paul is ... (Feb '10) Jun 11 Truth 2 74
News North/east news briefs: Coon Rapids rewrites ya... Jun 5 Pleasant Valley S... 1
News VA execs finally demoted for scamming system, b... May 28 PauldenZangpo0521 6
News What happens when Staples' 'Easy Rebate' is any... (May '11) May 26 Sammy 26
News Minneapolis Pride Parade fills streets with rai... (Jun '15) May '16 Geezer Heimers 25
More from around the web

Personal Finance

St. Paul Mortgages