State of Ga closed them. There is a stop sale notice on door
Purple Hase

Clayton, MI

#3 Feb 16, 2012
WTF!
Anon

United States

#4 Feb 16, 2012
MAN!!!!! THATS THE ONLY PLACE I LIKE TO BUY MY MEAT!!!
Mammonism

Saint Marys, GA

#5 Feb 16, 2012
You can see the owner with all his accomplishments, forced instead to come to terms with a considerable reduced financial status due to the purchase of bad meat that he had no control over. Now $30,000.00 dollars of inventory contaminated.

I feel his loss. I wish him well.
Mad Cow

Saint Marys, GA

#6 Feb 16, 2012
Agriculture Dept. Closed the store. This is a bad thing to have happen.
Investigation

Saint Marys, GA

#7 Feb 17, 2012
Kingsland Meats has been under investigation for a while. They were charged yesterday with 3 major hits. #1, They were mixing expired meat with good meat to make inventory last longer #2 They were mixing extream amounts of beef heart into the ground beef making the nutritional values on the meat void. #3 They were pre-printing labels for meat weight and not weighing the meat before they put it up for sale. They will not allow the current owner to re-open under any circumstances in Camden County.
Miguel

Denver, CO

#8 Feb 17, 2012
Investigation wrote:
Kingsland Meats has been under investigation for a while. They were charged yesterday with 3 major hits.#1, They were mixing expired meat with good meat to make inventory last longer #2 They were mixing extream amounts of beef heart into the ground beef making the nutritional values on the meat void.#3 They were pre-printing labels for meat weight and not weighing the meat before they put it up for sale. They will not allow the current owner to re-open under any circumstances in Camden County.
I don't know the owner at all, but I mostly buy bacon and large beef roasts there, here's my take:

#1 Kinda gross, but I'd like to see the actual results of the investigation since when ever I go in there it seems like the ground meats go quickly. In other words if the stock gets bought there isn't any leftovers to mix. Definitely something to consider.

#2 This is no secret and really no big deal. If you taste their ground beef its has an obvious taste of organ meat in it, this used to be a lot more common before nutritional data was so regulated. Here's the kicker though - organ meats are a good source of protein and nutrients.

#3 Could be fraud, could also be the employees slacking because the meat in question gets put on the 5 for 20 sale they run constantly and thus it wouldn't even matter if it was weighed properly. Again, I'd like to see which meats were affected.

And finally, not letting the man reopen after this is a travesty. Have you been to a grocery store lately and priced meat? Let the buyer beware, let him reopen and see if his past dealings deter folks from going in there to shop. The market will decide if these things are bad enough to force the closure of a business. Meanwhile consumers are left with fewer options and another small business will fall by the wayside, its employees drawing more unemployment out of the already taxed system. Fine him, or put a notice in the paper, but forcing them out of the market completely? More government overstepping its bounds.

Also a long investigation tells me someone was gunning for em. Just sayin...
Ooops

Saint Marys, GA

#9 Feb 17, 2012
Beef Hearts in Hamburger is not a bad thing. Beef hearts are the best part of Beef. This is not a bad thing. I think there is more to the story.

I think the Government agency that closed the store needs to give the public a statement to put all the rumors to rest.

Ok, you guys over in the Agriculture Dept. Lets hear the real story. Call them. We have a right to know what we have been eating.
Whistler

Norridgewock, ME

#10 Feb 17, 2012
I've know Keith since he was a meatcutter at Dowling's in St Marys many years ago. He worked long and hard to open his shop on highway 40, and then the new shop on KB road. I am shocked at this news, but I wish him the best. He is a fine person, and I have a hard time believing that he had knowlege of these actions. There is more to this than meets the eye I'm afraid.
shipmate shore

Dornsife, PA

#11 Feb 18, 2012
Glad I never bought meat or anything else from there. I walked in one day, looked and asked at the prices and walked right back out. He can never keep an employee there long enough; always advertising for an experienced meat cutter every 4 or 5 months. Guess what they saw on the inside disgusted them and they quit. Publix and the base commissary are the best places to buy meat, chicken, and seafood and they are cheaper.
Winn Dixie

Saint Marys, GA

#12 Feb 18, 2012
Can't beat their meat!

Would not eat Walmart's meat on a dare!
Anon

United States

#13 Feb 18, 2012
I think it is terrible because he beat the pants off the local supermarkets in prices. I am really not liking that I know have to go to Odum Georgia just to get meat like I like it.Or I could go to Garys meats in Brunswick off of 82. OH WELL!!!
School marm

Saint Marys, GA

#14 Feb 18, 2012
"..that I NOW have to go.."
cocoa puffs

Saint Marys, GA

#15 Feb 18, 2012
They need to let the public know because many have Kingsland Meat in their freezer...do we toss or what???
Kingsland Meats

Saint Marys, GA

#16 Feb 18, 2012
You can beat our meat, but; you can't beat our prices !
pepsi max

Dornsife, PA

#17 Feb 18, 2012
wonder if the restaurants bought their meat, I would not be eating steak anytime soon, guess its back to salads, Sonnys has a great salad bar
Anon

United States

#18 Feb 18, 2012
School marm wrote:
"..that I NOW have to go.."
Go kill yourself Jay!
Retired military

Saint Marys, GA

#19 Feb 18, 2012
shipmate shore wrote:
Glad I never bought meat or anything else from there. I walked in one day, looked and asked at the prices and walked right back out. He can never keep an employee there long enough; always advertising for an experienced meat cutter every 4 or 5 months. Guess what they saw on the inside disgusted them and they quit. Publix and the base commissary are the best places to buy meat, chicken, and seafood and they are cheaper.
You guys have a great deal. Why do any of you shop off the base for anything ? You have gas food entertainment what else is it. Government only has the best of everything. Yet, I see them buying in towns and running mostly to Florida to the stores. Why do they have to leave at all ? Bored ? Looking for a woman ? Just why do the active military take a chance of driving off base to go to a bar ? I am with you mate stay where you are sure everything is OK !

St. Marys does not want us anyway otherwise why do they hand out so many tickets. Best deal is go south into Florida. That is what we do most of the time.
Hopeless and St Marys

Saint Marys, GA

#20 Feb 18, 2012
The real reason Kingsland meats closed. What finally got him I don't know, but; You can bet one thing the economic market he was working in was to small. He was forced to cut corners and that corner cutting is what got him. He is like most small businesses he had everything tied up and he wanted to make it. He lost sight of the fact that this city and county has screwed him. Lack of leadership not seeking more jobs early on after the mill closed is where the down fall started and made worse by Cumberland Harbor debacle.

Jacksonville got a lot closer when the "River City Shopping Center" opened. If you ride over to US 17 you will see several meat companies operating there. That is the real reason that Kingsland Meats has closed.

The Real Estate Cartel ended in a debacle with Cumberland Harbor. Real Estate and Banking have collapsed. It is going to be a while for the come back. What has happened to Kingsland Meats will happen to other businesses as the year goes down.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Marys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The media grilling Rep. Nunes 2 hr Really 2
Border tax 2 hr Bill 1
Commissioners to hear variance on Cumberland Is... 3 hr Logic 53
Camden County, where the greeds of the few outw... 3 hr Robert Spock Says 10
Another mistake at Oscars 4 hr Mike Moore 1
The Winners are La-La Land and Hillary Clinton 5 hr Help us all 3
Osprey Cove is locking out non-resident members 7 hr Anon 35

St. Marys Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance