Navy pushes to allow women on submari...

Navy pushes to allow women on submarines; wives worry about temptation under the sea

There are 22 comments on the WTKR story from Oct 13, 2009, titled Navy pushes to allow women on submarines; wives worry about temptation under the sea. In it, WTKR reports that:

In an Aug. 22, 2004 photo provided by the US Navy, General Dynamics test engineers rest in modified berthing facilities in the Torpedo Room aboard the pre-commissioned nuclear submarine Virginia during sea trials in the Atlantic ocean.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTKR.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Submariner

Carrollton, VA

#1 Oct 14, 2009
Women on submarins would be fine, have all women sub and all male subs. Having spent a lot of time on boats and having lived underwater for up to 110 days at a time I truly beleive complication would arise. Heck a man can't even stay cooped up with his wife or girl friend for a few days without getting on each others nerves.
Sub Wife Also Serving

Moyock, NC

#2 Oct 14, 2009
I am a wife of a submariner and I am also in the Navy. With that being said, I have some opinions on this issue. I do agree that there is a need for equal opportunity, but a line does need to be drawn somewhere. When it comes to relationships, trust is always an issue. I trust my spouse 100%, but I will never trust another woman. I lived onboard a surface ship and I have seen the way men and women both are when out to sea. Even for the shortest periods of times, those that don't have repsect for themselves or for the spouses of others I have seen them do things that would not be approving to the spouses of the personnel on board. I have been on the sub visiting and seen the insides. Small spaces everywhere, passageways, scuttles, berthing, you name it. I have seen the smallest of the guys (5'1", 115 lbs) onboard try to walk through a passageway and they even get caught on the pipes. I had the same problems on a DDG. Women need to stay surface, if they want to do a "man's" job, volunteer for IA. Go where you are needed and not where you are not needed. I would rather go to Iraq to help than serve on a sub.
kate b

Fareham, UK

#3 Oct 14, 2009
Hells bells! I'm joining the Navy!
Ddg

Black Creek, WI

#4 Oct 14, 2009
Peoples insecurities should not outweigh an equal rights issue. Seriously, the bigger picture...
Camden Pride

Solon, ME

#5 Oct 14, 2009
I think this has been a long time in the making. Great news we will have them do our laundry and make our racks!!!!!

Man won't half way night entertainment and wet t-shirt contests be a hoot!

Now if we could only get a few transgenders to join along for the ride wouldn't life be grand?

Thank you once again liberals and pansy Admirals for giving us this!!!!

Since: Aug 09

United States

#6 Oct 15, 2009
Camden Pride wrote:
I think this has been a long time in the making. Great news we will have them do our laundry and make our racks!!!!!
Man won't half way night entertainment and wet t-shirt contests be a hoot!
Now if we could only get a few transgenders to join along for the ride wouldn't life be grand?
Thank you once again liberals and pansy Admirals for giving us this!!!!
I agree with not having women on Subs what I don't agree with is your derogatory way of speaking towards women. I am not a man's slave nor am I his house woman, but I am a partner, a wife, and a mother.
Rhonda Moody

Virginia Beach, VA

#7 Oct 15, 2009
As a retired Navy Chief and as a woman, I am DEEPLY offended by those who think that women on submarines are a bad idea because the women would be temptation to the men on board. Here's a thought - the women are professionals paid to serve their country - just like the men. If that worry persists still with the nay-sayers, then something is wrong at home.
CamdenPride

United States

#8 Oct 15, 2009
Rhonda Moody wrote:
As a retired Navy Chief and as a woman, I am DEEPLY offended by those who think that women on submarines are a bad idea because the women would be temptation to the men on board. Here's a thought - the women are professionals paid to serve their country - just like the men. If that worry persists still with the nay-sayers, then something is wrong at home.
Are these the same professional women that I had to chase out of Officer Staterooms, fanrooms, boat decks, bos'n lockers for having sex? Or tell to put on the appropriate underwear and bra color with their whites? How about getting pregnant at sea?

Women stop playing PC games, I am a retired submariner and the reason we have been so successful is because we dont have women to ruin our force. Stop the madness let them have all women subs if they want but dont play "Operation Petticoat" with our force.

Period! Admirals grow a set and put a stop to this! We will regret this! I have daughters and I would not accept them serving on subs.
CamdenPride

United States

#9 Oct 15, 2009
What's next female NFL Football Players? Coed NBA basketball?
navychick

Virginia Beach, VA

#10 Oct 16, 2009
I agree that we should allow women on subs. I retired from the Navy in 2004 and I feel that if you do not trust your spouse enough to have them working with the opposite sex then there are more issues in your marriage.
CamdenPride

United States

#11 Oct 16, 2009
Rhonda Moody wrote:
So what happens when a female nuke gets pregnant? She cannot be left behind while the ship deploys, we need every sub saior to do our mission. What will happen is that female will be on no use to that sub for 9-12 months.

So unless wwomen will agree to abort their kids or not get pregnant when they are assigned to a deployable sub this madness will not work! I dare not touch that pregnancy womg right issue.

Say they tried this crap when they started to let women fly combat helicopters and guess what happened during the Gulf War? A suprising number of female BlackHawk and Apache pilots got pregnant and could not fight/fly. Thast right could not fly as they had to be near hospitals to protect the unborn.

Damn see how this stupid diversity works, we spend millions training a pilot to go fight and when we need then to do the job they are trained to do it becomes convenenient and pull out the skirts and say I'm a women and can't participate.

Stop this madness the men in this country ought to be ashamed allowing women to fight. This is not about equailty it is about being a protector, men and men alone should do all the fighting! What kind of pansy country have we become, that we bow to politically correct diversity pressures? Yuck!
CamdenPride

United States

#12 Oct 16, 2009
navychick wrote:
I agree that we should allow women on subs. I retired from the Navy in 2004 and I feel that if you do not trust your spouse enough to have them working with the opposite sex then there are more issues in your marriage.
And exactly how many times have you been married? To both men and women?
CamdenPride

United States

#13 Oct 16, 2009
Sub Wife Also Serving wrote:
I am a wife of a submariner and I am also in the Navy. With that being said, I have some opinions on this issue. I do agree that there is a need for equal opportunity, but a line does need to be drawn somewhere. When it comes to relationships, trust is always an issue. I trust my spouse 100%, but I will never trust another woman. I lived onboard a surface ship and I have seen the way men and women both are when out to sea. Even for the shortest periods of times, those that don't have repsect for themselves or for the spouses of others I have seen them do things that would not be approving to the spouses of the personnel on board. I have been on the sub visiting and seen the insides. Small spaces everywhere, passageways, scuttles, berthing, you name it. I have seen the smallest of the guys (5'1", 115 lbs) onboard try to walk through a passageway and they even get caught on the pipes. I had the same problems on a DDG. Women need to stay surface, if they want to do a "man's" job, volunteer for IA. Go where you are needed and not where you are not needed. I would rather go to Iraq to help than serve on a sub.
Great reply now are there any other women willing to speak out against this bad idea?

My wife when I was active would have gone to the top brass and tell them her mind about this.
Navy wife -sub -surface

Portsmouth, VA

#14 Oct 16, 2009
Camden Pride thank you for your thoughts. I totally agree. My husband started off on subs, I loved to visit him while inport (duty days). The bonds they form, are like the Seals etc... they're brothers nothing to make them Jealous. They live to help each other... he went surface after a few years but it was never the same bonds. Ladies... not sure if you were "officers/enlisted?" but I know a lot of enlisted women, friends they also agree it's BAD on the surface ships w/the "young things" strutting etc... what happens when TAMPONS get flushed? They do it on the surface... you'll have it done on the subs. You can go on a carrier and 4 toilets out of 6 are not working, why? The husband helped the ladies get their toilets fixed... they didn't like the "sanitation". As for the women cleaning and doing laundry some of the "young things" are worse then the "young men". Can't seem to keep their racks clean. You go Camden Pride. Totally understand being held back as a women, but unless you're really on a sub for a length of time you WON"T get it. I'd rather work w/a dept of men than women w/their DRAMA. Mass, huh sometimes it's a slap on the wrist. Let it go, or become residents of their nations. Don't get me wrong I APPRECIATE ALL YOU ALL HAVE EVER DONE... THE SPOUSES AT HOME (including men) AND THE Military MEMBER. We've survived the USN 22 yrs married... not ONE episode of Drama (I LOVE MY HUSBAND!) Faith, and Trust are not enough when you have this dangling carrot. I remember when the LOVE boat took voyage... GOOD LUCK OUR FEARLESS LEADERS..
Camden Pride

Solon, ME

#15 Oct 17, 2009
Navy wife -sub -surface wrote:
Camden Pride thank you for your thoughts. I totally agree. My husband started off on subs, I loved to visit him while inport (duty days). The bonds they form, are like the Seals etc... they're brothers nothing to make them Jealous. They live to help each other... he went surface after a few years but it was never the same bonds. Ladies... not sure if you were "officers/enlisted?" but I know a lot of enlisted women, friends they also agree it's BAD on the surface ships w/the "young things" strutting etc... what happens when TAMPONS get flushed? They do it on the surface... you'll have it done on the subs. You can go on a carrier and 4 toilets out of 6 are not working, why? The husband helped the ladies get their toilets fixed... they didn't like the "sanitation". As for the women cleaning and doing laundry some of the "young things" are worse then the "young men". Can't seem to keep their racks clean. You go Camden Pride. Totally understand being held back as a women, but unless you're really on a sub for a length of time you WON"T get it. I'd rather work w/a dept of men than women w/their DRAMA. Mass, huh sometimes it's a slap on the wrist. Let it go, or become residents of their nations. Don't get me wrong I APPRECIATE ALL YOU ALL HAVE EVER DONE... THE SPOUSES AT HOME (including men) AND THE Military MEMBER. We've survived the USN 22 yrs married... not ONE episode of Drama (I LOVE MY HUSBAND!) Faith, and Trust are not enough when you have this dangling carrot. I remember when the LOVE boat took voyage... GOOD LUCK OUR FEARLESS LEADERS..
Excellent points, I agree it is time for the political correctness and the diversity push to end...... We are rapidly become a 2nd world country.
RealCamdenPride

Bainbridge Island, WA

#16 Oct 17, 2009
As a retired submarine sailor who's first boat was a diesel boat and last boat was a Trident, I think most of you here are laughable.
CamdenPride and some of the wives here would make you believe that women submariners would be uncontrollable nymphomaniacs who's only desire in life is to sleep with some bubblehead. You assume that the women that ride yours or your husbands boat is going to find you/him attractive enough slep with. Ladies, if you have reason to worry about your husband serving with women, trust me, they're already screwing around on you. And CamdenPride, if you're worried that a woman would have out performed you and been ranked higher on her evals, then maybe you should you weren't working hard enough. And to "Sub wife also serving", the statement, "if the want to do a man's job....", is the same as me telling you to get back in the kitchen and do your womans work! Like I said, some of you are laughable!
I've had the pleasure of riding a suface ship that had men and women on board. The women, all the way from the Command Masterchief to the FSA's were true professional sailors! I believe that women certainly should be able to serve on submarines. It's time women are treated equally across the board in the military as they are in other "less advanced and powerful" countries.

And finally, please don't associate the Camden Counrty name or its people with ignorance.
Camden Pride

Solon, ME

#17 Oct 18, 2009
RealCamdenPride wrote:
As a retired submarine sailor who's first boat was a diesel boat and last boat was a Trident, I think most of you here are laughable.
CamdenPride and some of the wives here would make you believe that women submariners would be uncontrollable nymphomaniacs who's only desire in life is to sleep with some bubblehead. You assume that the women that ride yours or your husbands boat is going to find you/him attractive enough slep with. Ladies, if you have reason to worry about your husband serving with women, trust me, they're already screwing around on you. And CamdenPride, if you're worried that a woman would have out performed you and been ranked higher on her evals, then maybe you should you weren't working hard enough. And to "Sub wife also serving", the statement, "if the want to do a man's job....", is the same as me telling you to get back in the kitchen and do your womans work! Like I said, some of you are laughable!
I've had the pleasure of riding a suface ship that had men and women on board. The women, all the way from the Command Masterchief to the FSA's were true professional sailors! I believe that women certainly should be able to serve on submarines. It's time women are treated equally across the board in the military as they are in other "less advanced and powerful" countries.
And finally, please don't associate the Camden Counrty name or its people with ignorance.
I dont know but you sure sound like you are in touch with how a woman feels thats just not normal for a straight guy. Only agay man would claim to knwo hoew a woman would act. I speak form a mans perspective an I have served with women before and I know they love men in positions of power and will do whatever it tkaes to get ahead.

Ask business professionals. RealCamdenGayPride, what next you going to defend openly gay sailors?

Its a bad idea, keep gays and women off subs. You can go back to hiding behind your screen. I'm done.

Do you care to tackle pregnancy and womb right issues? It isnt just about sex. There will be no place to have sex unless you are really sneaky and creative and lord knows no female has ever been impregnated aboard ship or caused a marriage to end. Oh nooooooo!!!!! Open your eyes man.
Camden Pride

Solon, ME

#18 Oct 18, 2009
RealCamdenPride wrote:
Would equal treatment also include Physical Readiness Test scores?
AJW

Chesapeake, VA

#19 Oct 19, 2009
I'm a wife of a submariner and I think its a bad idea and not just for the fact that they may or may not sleep together, where are they going to put the woman? and oh lord can you imagine the sexual harassment lawsuits that could come about...oh he brushed up against me and touched my butt or other parts of my body.....and lets just face it them guys are some sick mofos just hearing the stories of the things they do is enough to make me not want anything to do with it. I dont think the issue and all its consequences have been thoroughly thought out I think some people just want to be gun ho and look good. Wonder who they are trying to impress and hey instead of spending all that money to redo the boats how bout some real pay raises instead.
Camden Pride

Solon, ME

#20 Oct 22, 2009
RealCamdenPride wrote:
We wont, we certainly don't associate anyone who lives on the West Coast with having any common sense or morals either so don't worry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Marys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Politics don't have to be dirty ... 2 min Psychotic Jay 6
New Linda Williams Signs Are Ready 3 min Psychotic Jay 6
Threat Assessment 4 min Psychotic Jay 3
A woman with a dirty mouth (Oct '15) 24 min Moreno Jay 11
[email protected] Donate Now 55 min JJ not Jay 8
GBI currently investigatng Pak's Karate for chi... (Oct '13) 1 hr Jorge 1,123
Charles Krauthammer: Anatomy of a HiLlARy Clint... 1 hr Conservative Inde... 4
Linda Does Dirty On Dilworth 9 hr Yourworstnightmare 78
2016 City Council Election 21 hr No Moron MPA 369

St. Marys Jobs