Gov Deal coming to St. Marys

Posted in the St. Marys Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lets Make a Deal

Saint Marys, GA

#1 Nov 12, 2012
Gov Deal is coming to St. Marys on Nov 19th 7PM at Theater by the Trax.
anon

Saint Marys, GA

#2 Nov 12, 2012
Big deal. I'll be sure to be nowhere near Vaught's folly that night.
Help

Saint Marys, GA

#3 Nov 12, 2012
Lets Make a Deal wrote:
Gov Deal is coming to St. Marys on Nov 19th 7PM at Theater by the Trax.
Will real help be coming to Camden or lip service. Dangle a carrot out in front of us; Or Just a ploy to get the big straw into the Satilla and St. Marys Rivers ?

Only time will tell. I want to think somewhere out there we will get something coming our way. These settings make a Governor who is now more hierarchical in his view than popular seem not popular but galactic.
Wharf Rat

Herndon, PA

#4 Nov 12, 2012
Help wrote:
<quoted text>
Will real help be coming to Camden or lip service. Dangle a carrot out in front of us; Or Just a ploy to get the big straw into the Satilla and St. Marys Rivers ?
Only time will tell. I want to think somewhere out there we will get something coming our way. These settings make a Governor who is now more hierarchical in his view than popular seem not popular but galactic.
If he wants water, make him spent some of that deep water port money for it!
on the take

United States

#5 Nov 12, 2012
whats the reason for him coming to Theater by the Trax? They begging for money after the cit found out that Vaught and Barber Ryan movie sh!t only cost them money.
yuuupp

Toronto, Canada

#6 Nov 12, 2012
on the take wrote:
whats the reason for him coming to Theater by the Trax? They begging for money after the cit found out that Vaught and Barber Ryan movie sh!t only cost them money.
This bunch of "theater" people remind me of the Christopher Guest movie "Waiting For Guffman".
Jeff

United States

#7 Nov 12, 2012
anon wrote:
Big deal. I'll be sure to be nowhere near Vaught's folly that night.
I'm sure you will be the first to blab what you did not see.
Deal or No Deal

Toronto, Canada

#8 Nov 19, 2012
Was he here? What did he say? Does anyone give a crap?
on the take

United States

#9 Nov 20, 2012
Have not heard a word from his visit
Bonnie Blue Butler

Saint Marys, GA

#10 Nov 20, 2012
1. He said he was not implementing Obama-care at the state level due to the 650,000 new uninsured Georgians...he said the state could not afford it.

2. He said they are trying to bring & attract more business to Georgia... mainly the suppliers of the two new corporations ( Caterpillar & Baxter)to Georgia.

3. He said he is putting $50 million MORE dollars into the budget to deepen the Savannah Port by the completion of 2016 and then they want to "upgrade" transportation infrastructure along the coast and to and round Atlanta.

4. He said he wants to continue to lower the expenses for our prison system. He GA was 4th in the country in prison expenditures.

5. He said he "understands" our needs for a technical college...he had the president of the University System of GA and President of Altamaha Tech present...most likely a gesture of trying to pacify the citizens that a tech school is coming. He said we would work very hard with our local representation to get the school here.

6. Nothing was mentioned about SPACEPORT.

7. If I missed something; chyme in....

“Make St. Marys great again! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#11 Nov 20, 2012
Thank you for that concise, objective, reportage.
anon

Woodbine, GA

#12 Nov 20, 2012
how about legalizing marijuana. that would be a start for reducing the budget. america has only 5% of the worlds population but 20% of the worlds prisoners. land of the free my ass.
anon

Saint Marys, GA

#13 Nov 20, 2012
Bonnie Blue Butler wrote:
1. He said he was not implementing Obama-care at the state level due to the 650,000 new uninsured Georgians...he said the state could not afford it.
2. He said they are trying to bring & attract more business to Georgia... mainly the suppliers of the two new corporations ( Caterpillar & Baxter)to Georgia.
3. He said he is putting $50 million MORE dollars into the budget to deepen the Savannah Port by the completion of 2016 and then they want to "upgrade" transportation infrastructure along the coast and to and round Atlanta.
4. He said he wants to continue to lower the expenses for our prison system. He GA was 4th in the country in prison expenditures.
5. He said he "understands" our needs for a technical college...he had the president of the University System of GA and President of Altamaha Tech present...most likely a gesture of trying to pacify the citizens that a tech school is coming. He said we would work very hard with our local representation to get the school here.
7. If I missed something; chyme in....
blah blah blah more politician babble
anon

Kingsland, GA

#14 Nov 20, 2012
Cheeks were bared, lips were applied...
Simplistic dolt

Cumming, GA

#15 Nov 20, 2012
Bonnie Blue Butler wrote:
That's odd. It's been in the paper, thanks to a press release from the JDA. I would have at least expected something like "we're still in the preliminary stages, a lot of work to be done, arduous permitting process, blah blah blah."

OTOH, the press release itself was a huge violation of protocol. Usually the Director works behind the scenes and let's the politicians grab all the credit. It's not nice to upstage the Gov.
Anon

Knoxville, TN

#16 Nov 20, 2012
Simplistic dolt wrote:
<quoted text>
That's odd. It's been in the paper, thanks to a press release from the JDA. I would have at least expected something like "we're still in the preliminary stages, a lot of work to be done, arduous permitting process, blah blah blah."
OTOH, the press release itself was a huge violation of protocol. Usually the Director works behind the scenes and let's the politicians grab all the credit. It's not nice to upstage the Gov.
Just because our JDA is dreaming big dreams does not mean that they have the support of the governor or the State of Georgia. A spaceport, if one were ever seriously proposed, would be a state, not a county, project. If the State of Georgia did decide to get into the space race, you can be assured that Camden County will not be first in line at the pork barrel.
Simplistic dolt

Cumming, GA

#17 Nov 20, 2012
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because our JDA is dreaming big dreams does not mean that they have the support of the governor or the State of Georgia. A spaceport, if one were ever seriously proposed, would be a state, not a county, project. If the State of Georgia did decide to get into the space race, you can be assured that Camden County will not be first in line at the pork barrel.
sigh. I think what had me fooled was the press release stating the JDA was moving forward with acquiring the land, and the statement from a Dow spokesperson that seemed to confirm that. With a competant JDA, that means it's a done deal. Guess I never realized what a bunch of incompentant ass clowns our JDA is.
Anon

Knoxville, TN

#18 Nov 20, 2012
Simplistic dolt wrote:
<quoted text>
sigh. I think what had me fooled was the press release stating the JDA was moving forward with acquiring the land, and the statement from a Dow spokesperson that seemed to confirm that. With a competant JDA, that means it's a done deal. Guess I never realized what a bunch of incompentant ass clowns our JDA is.
The JDA can acquire the land then we will have another piece of government owned property off the tax rolls, waiting for development----someday.

The St. Marys Airport is not going to move to that property. The city just received a Memorandum of Agreement from the FAA to build the airport in Woodbine.

There will never be a spaceport unless the state forms a space commission, puts up the funding, selects a site (that only might be this land), and files a request with the FAA for matching funds for a feasibility study and pre-approval of eligibility for a spaceport license. We presently have 8 spaceports in the US and a few more states in the process chain for approval. It is a long, expensive process.
Simplistic dolt

Cumming, GA

#19 Nov 20, 2012
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
The JDA can acquire the land then we will have another piece of government owned property off the tax rolls, waiting for development----someday.
The St. Marys Airport is not going to move to that property. The city just received a Memorandum of Agreement from the FAA to build the airport in Woodbine.
There will never be a spaceport unless the state forms a space commission, puts up the funding, selects a site (that only might be this land), and files a request with the FAA for matching funds for a feasibility study and pre-approval of eligibility for a spaceport license. We presently have 8 spaceports in the US and a few more states in the process chain for approval. It is a long, expensive process.
I guess I'm not used to seeing a JDA running around acting like cowboys engaging in speculative ventures, SOP is a JDA that only acquires land as the final step in conjunction with an IDB. That only happens after the deal is put together. Now I'm starting to understand why, with everything Camden has going for it, economic development efforts have been so fruitless.

I'm still pretty doubtful the airport will get built on site 1. Sure, the FAA issued an MOA,*if* St. Marys can come up with money it doesn't have. Then there is the little matter of a 404 permit, which is guaranteed to draw a court challenge if it's even issued.
Jeff

United States

#20 Nov 21, 2012
anon wrote:
how about legalizing marijuana. that would be a start for reducing the budget. america has only 5% of the worlds population but 20% of the worlds prisoners. land of the free my ass.
You should have asked him about mj. You might have suggested to let the 15% out, in Kingsland.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Marys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Mr. Trump is a unique and present danger." 3 min Think about it 5
MORENO: what does the word "WHIGGER" mean??? (Apr '15) 10 min Aunt Jemima 360
Black Lives Mater to invade St.Marys this weekend. 52 min FactCheck 260
#NeverTrump Commies Push Elderly Veteran Off Le... 58 min LonePalm 1
Hacked DNC Emails: Hispanics are only a "Target... 1 hr LonePalm 1
That noise you hear is Democrats cheering! (7.2... 1 hr LonePalm 7
Trump's Convention; Trump's America. No thanks. 1 hr LonePalm 10

St. Marys Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance