Moreno now after Craig Root

Posted in the St. Marys Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Root of evil

San Francisco, CA

#1 Nov 4, 2011
I see that Moreno has now focused his attention on Craig Root. Moreno claims Mr. Root owes years of back taxes for not paying leasehold taxes on all his billboards.

I guess Moreno forgot that Craig root is a dear friend of Charlie Smith, Chuck Trader, Jim Gant and the four in the middle. He was one of Charlie's hand picked jurors. He is on the Intracoastal Gateway development Committee.

Go get him, Julian.

I bet we don't hear any more about Craig Root from Moreno.

That is OK, I'll take over from here. I'll let Craig know who planted the seed. Thanks Jay.

“Post 6, 2017 thru 2020 ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#2 Nov 4, 2011
A total lie of course.

I merely reported that the chief tax appraiser said last night he was looking into that, if my memory serves me.
Root of evil

San Francisco, CA

#3 Nov 4, 2011
Moreno Jay wrote:
A total lie of course.
I merely reported that the chief tax appraiser said last night he was looking into that, if my memory serves me.
If your memory serves you, your fat ass. Go back and read your entries in your other threads.
anon

San Francisco, CA

#4 Nov 4, 2011
No new news. Moreno is always after someone.
fat and furious

San Francisco, CA

#5 Nov 4, 2011
Moreno, you are a bad man. You should never bite the hand that feeds you. Charlie is going to be pissed.
Yep

Fernandina Beach, FL

#6 Nov 4, 2011
Moreno Jay wrote:
A total lie of course.
I just went back and read your comment about Craig Root. It sounded like you were raising the question, not relaying information. You may assume you have he right to stick your nose in everyones business, but one of these days you're going to go too far, and dispite your come and get me bad ass threatening crap, someone is going to come.....and get you they will.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#7 Nov 4, 2011
fat and furious wrote:
Moreno, you are a bad man. You should never bite the hand that feeds you. Charlie is going to be pissed.
Already pissed of Robbie and did not even know it.
no need to hurry

San Francisco, CA

#8 Nov 4, 2011
Yep wrote:
<quoted text> I just went back and read your comment about Craig Root. It sounded like you were raising the question, not relaying information. You may assume you have he right to stick your nose in everyones business, but one of these days you're going to go too far, and dispite your come and get me bad ass threatening crap, someone is going to come.....and get you they will.
Jay hasn't been looking too good lately. I think the sands in his hour glass are about to run out. In other words, Jay's egg is about done.
Lets hear it

San Francisco, CA

#9 Nov 5, 2011
Since Moreno is the County's self proclaimed tax collector, I want to hear his opinion as to the taxability of Craig Root's billboard assets.

Come on, Moreno. Spill the beans. What's good for the goose.........
Redfish

Dornsife, PA

#10 Nov 5, 2011
How about the road system in Osprey Cove? It's private so I was told. Who owns it and hoe are taxs paid.

St. Marys, GA

#11 Nov 5, 2011
Lets hear it wrote:
Since Moreno is the County's self proclaimed tax collector, I want to hear his opinion as to the taxability of Craig Root's billboard assets.
Try to keep up. The billboards themselves are clearly taxable. The question is whether or not the "leasehold value" of the land he rents to sit them on is taxable. That's up to the tax appraiser and assessors to decide.

Insofar as Root does not rent space - so far as I know - from the City of St. Marys at ridiculously below-market rates and for sure does not serve on St. Marys City Council, I have no more - or less - interest in Mr. Root's leasehold taxability than any other citizen desiring equitable enforcement of tax law in Camden County.
Tax lesson

Solon, ME

#12 Nov 5, 2011
Billboards are personal property and taxes are paid just like you pay ad valorem taxes on your car.

If the land a billboard is on is more valuable because of the billboard rent paid, that would be assessed to the land owner ( increased value of that land).

What else is there to tax?
revenuer

San Francisco, CA

#13 Nov 5, 2011
Lets hear it wrote:
Keep it up, Moreno. Maybe your work will yield a tax reduction for the rest of us.

Have you thought about running for office?

St. Marys, GA

#14 Nov 5, 2011
Tax lesson wrote:
Billboards are personal property and taxes are paid just like you pay ad valorem taxes on your car.
If the land a billboard is on is more valuable because of the billboard rent paid, that would be assessed to the land owner ( increased value of that land).
What else is there to tax?
At first glance, that would have been my conclusion as well. However, there is a law in Georgia that makes "leasehold interests" taxable.

In the case of the signs, if it were ruled that Root owes leasehold taxes, the rationale, as I understand it so far, is that his having a lease on that land where the sign sits has an intrinsic value - a "leasehold value" - which may well be taxable.

As I understand it, it would be taxed at the rate of 12.84 percent of the total of annual rent paid for the property.
OMG

San Francisco, CA

#15 Nov 5, 2011
Moreno Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
At first glance, that would have been my conclusion as well. However, there is a law in Georgia that makes "leasehold interests" taxable.
In the case of the signs, if it were ruled that Root owes leasehold taxes, the rationale, as I understand it so far, is that his having a lease on that land where the sign sits has an intrinsic value - a "leasehold value" - which may well be taxable.
As I understand it, it would be taxed at the rate of 12.84 percent of the total of annual rent paid for the property.
Powie zowie, Batman.
Tax lesson

Solon, ME

#16 Nov 5, 2011
So that would apply to anyone leasing property for income? Businesses in the shopping centers, etc. Wow. Let's male sure that we close 150 more Camden county businesses next year!

St. Marys, GA

#17 Nov 5, 2011
Tax lesson wrote:
So that would apply to anyone leasing property for income? Businesses in the shopping centers, etc. Wow. Let's male sure that we close 150 more Camden county businesses next year!
That's a damned good question. I'll explore that Monday when the tax appraisers office opens.
Tax lesson

Solon, ME

#18 Nov 5, 2011
Well this is interesting. Please see this link.

http://dor.wa.gov/docs/pubs/industspecific/le...

The 12.84% tax is a tax paid by persons or
businesses who use or lease
publicly owned property. But this is in Washington State. Does Georgia have a similar law?

Years ago when the City rented what is now the building department to a restaurant, I remember the County declaring that since it wasn't being used for public purposes and in fact was being rented for private purposes, it was taxable.

St. Marys, GA

#19 Nov 5, 2011
Glad you posted that. I inadvertently posted that same link recently as being the law in Georgia. But yes, Georgia does have such a law. I remember reading somewhere that it is one of only a handful of states that do. Not sure now what the tax percentage is. Back to Google.
Tax lesson

Solon, ME

#20 Nov 5, 2011
Here's some Georgia case law on assessing taxes on private property ( Leasehold improvements ) on Public land.( court found private leasehold improvements on public land to be taxable)

http://www.lawskills.com/case/ga/id/160/80/in...

See also page 217 Ga Dept. of revenue: https://etax.dor.ga.gov/ptd/gcp/LGS_GCP_Cours...

P

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Marys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Mayor and Gant are done with EarthKeepers 7 min Anon 17
Alex Kearns what are the real numbers for Clean... 31 min NutJob 16
St Marys Citizens Want District Voting 41 min NutJob 72
Science explains why Julian has a beard 42 min Jorge 10
St Marys EarthKeepers Joke Day 1 hr notBob 56
St Marys Botanical Garden At Old Gilman Boat ho... 1 hr llK 80
Increasing clothes dryer efficiency. 2 hr Dad 37
St. Marys Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web