Open Carry, No Service

“Master o Public Administration”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#166 Jul 21, 2013
Well isn't that special? Funny, I don't look a thing like Leo G. Carroll.
Lebowski

Fernandina Beach, FL

#167 Jul 21, 2013
Moreno Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you going to say when I publish the court martial record on my Facebook page, hmm?
And when might that be? After you are done with this novella?
Jorge

Kingsland, GA

#168 Jul 21, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>He's a squid, it's a sea story. Did you hear him say "Once upon a time?"
Make that "squid" reject.

“Master o Public Administration”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#169 Jul 22, 2013
Moreno Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
The next morning, a crazy, mustang Marine captain came by sickbay.
I forget his name. He was famous for climbing up utility poles in the middle of the night - complete with lineman climbing spikes - and using a starlight scope to try to catch Marine dopers or E-5s and below drinking hard liquor.
He wanted me to come down to the Ordinance Maintenance Platoon area and try to identify my attackers.
After a short walk, we arrived to find the whole platoon already in ranks at open ranks. The captain and I and the platoon gunny walked the ranks like during an inspection.
I could not positively identify any of them. That was either because it had been dark or they knew damned well who they were and had hidden them.
The next day, after that little dog and pony show, I was summoned to the H&S office hooch.
to be continued.
When I entered the H&S office, I was summoned gruffly over to a desk where the Ist Sergeant was seated with a sheaf of papers.

With no preamble, he started right in to read the "charges" against
ME!

" .. an in that HM2 Moreno, without being under direct assault by the enemy, did lock, load, and discharge a firearm within the confines of the Dong Ha combat contonment without due authorization from a commissioned officer - yadda, yadda, yadda."

This was all the boiler plate crap they read before they subject you to the kangaroo court known as Non-Judicial Punishment, or NJP, for short.

Now, when he got to the part where he had to inform me that I had the right to insist upon a court martial rather than NJP, where you sign a form waiving any right to appeal no matter how outrageous and draconian the ruling of the one officer imposing NJP might he tried to rush by it.

Obviously, he was used to effing over Marines.

I'll never forget the way he almost swallowed his cigar stub when I said, "Hold it right there. I'll take the court martial!"

to be continued.

“Master o Public Administration”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#170 Jul 22, 2013
Well, by golly, the arteries and veins in the old lifer's neck were just about to explode.

He stormed off into the CO's office.

About 5 minutes later he came out with a smug look
on his jar head.

He got back behind his desk and said "Well, Doc, seeing as how you're so full of piss and vinegar, we've decided not to just give you a summary court martial. Oh no, we're giving you a special court martial! How does that grab you, Doc?"

My response was to lean on his desk. about 6 inches from his face, and say " Oh, hell, why not go for a general court martial. In fact, why not take it to the fucking Supreme Court! I hear Washington is lovely this time of year!"

"Doc, you better get the fuck out of my office!"

I did.

to be continued.
beer drinker

United States

#171 Jul 22, 2013
Jay, you are special.

“Master o Public Administration”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#172 Jul 22, 2013
Well, the next day, I was informed that the powers that be thought it better that I be temporarily transferred for my own safety.

Translation: They did not want the word getting around FLSG-B that I had effectively told them to stick their NJP up their asses and they could not do a damned thing about it.

So, I got hidden away with sick bay at 8th Motor Transport Battalion ( I think that's the right name) down a little farther south at Quang-Tri while awaiting my court martial.

That would prove to be an eventful assignment.

to be continued.

to be continued
Lebowski

Orlando, FL

#173 Jul 22, 2013
Excuse me your brashness, but I think your avatar has just jumped from Elmer Fudd to Foghorn Leghorn status. Dayum, you bad!

“Master o Public Administration”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#174 Jul 22, 2013
Lebowski wrote:
Excuse me your brashness, but I think your avatar has just jumped from Elmer Fudd to Foghorn Leghorn status. Dayum, you bad!
Ah Say, Ah Say, you're right!
Table

Saint Marys, GA

#175 Jul 22, 2013
Moreno Jay wrote:
Well, by golly, the arteries and veins in the old lifer's neck were just about to explode.
He stormed off into the CO's office.
About 5 minutes later he came out with a smug look
on his jar head.
He got back behind his desk and said "Well, Doc, seeing as how you're so full of piss and vinegar, we've decided not to just give you a summary court martial. Oh no, we're giving you a special court martial! How does that grab you, Doc?"
My response was to lean on his desk. about 6 inches from his face, and say " Oh, hell, why not go for a general court martial. In fact, why not take it to the fucking Supreme Court! I hear Washington is lovely this time of year!"
"Doc, you better get the fuck out of my office!"
I did.
to be continued.
Bullish!t.

“Master o Public Administration”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#176 Jul 22, 2013
Moreno Jay wrote:
Well, the next day, I was informed that the powers that be thought it better that I be temporarily transferred for my own safety.
Translation: They did not want the word getting around FLSG-B that I had effectively told them to stick their NJP up their asses and they could not do a damned thing about it.
So, I got hidden away with sick bay at 8th Motor Transport Battalion ( I think that's the right name) down a little farther south at Quang-Tri while awaiting my court martial.
That would prove to be an eventful assignment.
to be continued.
to be continued
Well, when I got down to this outfit, they had two corpsmen, an HM2 and an HM3, and a medical officer. Rather than a reinforced bunker like we had in Dong Ha ( we were within arty range from just over the DMZ), they were making do with just a regular hooch for sick bay.

(Let me see if I can find a picture of a hooch to link to.)

“Master o Public Administration”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#177 Jul 22, 2013
Okay, here you go.

https://www.google.com/search...

The plywood structures with the steep, corrugated steel roofs and sandbags all around them are the kind of hooches the Marines used.

“Master o Public Administration”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#178 Jul 23, 2013
So, on my third day there, it was my turn to sleep-in at the sick bay hooch as the duty corpsman.

It was a very hot, humid night. I was trying to get to sleep wearing noting but my skivvies to try to beat the heat.

Around midnight, I was still awake in the stifling heat. That's when I heard something metallic clank on the peak of the tin roof just over my head. Immediately after the initial clank, I hear something rolling down the roof. Grenade!

I immediately flung myself onto the floor and covered my head with my arms, fully expecting an explosion.

Instead of an explosion, I heard a pop followed by a loud hissing sound.

Now, if you saw the pictures of our hooches, you may have noticed that the eaves of the corrugated metal came down fairly low to shield the screen windows from blowing monsoon rains.

That overhang served to channel a cloud of war-strength tear gas (CS) right in through the screen window. When I stood up, all sweaty, I stood up right in the middle of that cloud.

War strength CS makes civilian crowd control tear gas seem a minor annoyance by comparison.

I felt like I had been skinned then rolled in habanero sauce.

Fortunately, there were SNCO showers just out the back of sick bay. I stayed under the shower for an hour, going through almost the entirety of a new bar of soap, getting all of the fine CS particles off of my skin.

The next morning, when I told the other corpsmen what had happened, they assured me that it was "nothing personal." Just on the other side of the sick bay, were the two staff NCO hooches. They assured me that the "snuffy" who had thrown the CS grenade was aiming for the lifers but did not throw it quite high enough.

to be continued
beer drinker

United States

#179 Jul 23, 2013
They use to make CS out at the old Union Carbide plant. Even many years after ceasing the manufacturing of it there, at times during upgrades to the building a pocket of it would be disturbed which would then cause the building to be cleared of people.

“Master o Public Administration”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#180 Jul 23, 2013
It's been known to actually kill VC in spider holes and short tunnels.
beer drinker

United States

#181 Jul 23, 2013
Even drilling a hole in a block wall could clear the room if there were some contained within this wall. If I remember correctly it was a white power. They also made trip flares out there for use in Nam also. This is the process that exploded in the early 70's.

“Master o Public Administration”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#182 Jul 23, 2013
Yes. When it is aerosolized when the grenade goes off, it becomes a cloud of minute crystals of CS.

Speaking of pop flares, some time when I think about it, I'll tell the story of the Marine who shot a mammason in the head with one and damned nearly killed her when she was only trying to visit her kid in the Hoa Khanh Childrens' Hospital.
Lebowski

Orlando, FL

#183 Jul 23, 2013
Hey Fog, finish the story.

“Master o Public Administration”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#184 Jul 23, 2013
Moreno Jay wrote:
So, on my third day there, it was my turn to sleep-in at the sick bay hooch as the duty corpsman.
It was a very hot, humid night. I was trying to get to sleep wearing noting but my skivvies to try to beat the heat.
Around midnight, I was still awake in the stifling heat. That's when I heard something metallic clank on the peak of the tin roof just over my head. Immediately after the initial clank, I hear something rolling down the roof. Grenade!
I immediately flung myself onto the floor and covered my head with my arms, fully expecting an explosion.
Instead of an explosion, I heard a pop followed by a loud hissing sound.
Now, if you saw the pictures of our hooches, you may have noticed that the eaves of the corrugated metal came down fairly low to shield the screen windows from blowing monsoon rains.
That overhang served to channel a cloud of war-strength tear gas (CS) right in through the screen window. When I stood up, all sweaty, I stood up right in the middle of that cloud.
War strength CS makes civilian crowd control tear gas seem a minor annoyance by comparison.
I felt like I had been skinned then rolled in habanero sauce.
Fortunately, there were SNCO showers just out the back of sick bay. I stayed under the shower for an hour, going through almost the entirety of a new bar of soap, getting all of the fine CS particles off of my skin.
The next morning, when I told the other corpsmen what had happened, they assured me that it was "nothing personal." Just on the other side of the sick bay, were the two staff NCO hooches. They assured me that the "snuffy" who had thrown the CS grenade was aiming for the lifers but did not throw it quite high enough.
to be continued
Well, I stayed there about a week before the Marines got their shit together to hold a court martial in Quang Tri. n

The officers on the court martial panel were all from Quang Tri.
The "prosecutor" was that silly-assed, pole climbing, starlight scoping mustang captain from FLSG-B in Dong Ha.

My defense officer was Captain Ansel Cain. Ansel was a good buddy of ours. He was a really unlikely Marine. The guy was highly educated and built about like Woody Allen. We called him "Killer Cain." Sometimes when we went out on Med Caps, there would be Killer, with no escort, riding a water buffalo in the river with the village kids.

He could not stand the mustang. In fact, he had been known to fill a bottle of whiskey held in the company office as "evidence" against a snuffy that ol' mustang had caught with it with Coke. At the guy's court martial, he pretended to absent mindedly open the fifth and feigned surprise when it did not turn out to be whiskey.

Well ol' mustang presented it as if I had just gone berserk and fired a .45 up into the air. No mention of my being under attack by Marines.

Of course, when killer called HM2 Campbell and Sgt. Sweet to the stand, the panel was soon disabused of that notion.

Anyway, after everyone had their say, we were all instructed to step outside while the officers deliberated.

Once outside, I bummed a king sized cigarette. I did not normally smoke. When I had smoked about half of it, we were summoned back inside. I was acquitted by a unanimous vote.

I went from the court martial directly back to sick bay at Dong Ha, where I continued to serve until I rotated back to the states in November of 1969.

So don't tell me I've never been faced with a critical decision point with regards to using a pistol for self defense.
Killroy42

Kingsland, GA

#185 Jul 23, 2013
Moreno Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
So don't tell me I've never been faced with a critical decision point with regards to using a pistol for self defense.
So did some say that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Marys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boil water alert 45 min Seriously 6
Boil Water Alert for Saint Marys 1 hr abc 2
Healthcare thoughts 1 hr bob 61
CPA? Beat a woman? No problem 2 hr tommy w 152
New to the area 15 hr -Buzzard- 85
Why They Hate Him 19 hr tommy w 11
Oh goody now we have a fence Tue anom 12

St. Marys Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

St. Marys Mortgages