rock shrimp festival ?
miami

Saint Marys, GA

#1 Jan 14, 2013
why do we have a rock shrimp festival in st marys when thy are caught off the cape?
Old Timer

Herndon, PA

#2 Jan 14, 2013
Because nobody would come to the "Sand Gnat Festival".
miami

Saint Marys, GA

#3 Jan 14, 2013
Old Timer wrote:
hell the rock shrimp festival is drying up. its not like it was 5 years ago.
Baken

Saint Marys, GA

#4 Jan 14, 2013
miami wrote:
<quoted text>hell the rock shrimp festival is drying up. its not like it was 5 years ago.
I doubt they have the 4th of July this year in St. Marys. Kingsland could do it better they have I-95 St. Marys will not have anything around by then. Sick bunch that run St. Marys is killing the little town a little each day.
Simplistic dolt

Cumming, GA

#5 Jan 15, 2013
Old Timer wrote:
Camilla's Gnat Days sure draws a crowd.
zontormasterof1

United States

#6 Jan 15, 2013
all the festivals are the same; bunch of funnel cake and kettle corn vendors and people trying to sell overpriced junk folk art and entertainment like the local karate students or someones grandkid killing your ears with thier singing "talent".zzzzzzz
Southern Gentleman

Longwood, FL

#7 Jan 15, 2013
I attended the Shrimp Festival this year and had a pretty good time just strolling around. The food was very good (Thank You Mr. Lang or donating the shrimp!). The only complaint I had was that the pavilion was off-limits due to being used as the "kitchen". There are several problems with that:

1. The pavilion is a major feature of the waterfront... this is NOT the time to keep visitors from enjoying it. I personally heard several visitors express that sentiment.

2. There is a lot of pigeon droppings on the pavilion. The overhead rafters have a layer of pigeon poop which can fall into the food when the breeze stirs... Did they clean this off BEFORE having exposed food below?(Hello?... Health Department, are you listening?)

3. After the event the seating areas where the deep-fryers were located were saturated with splattered cooking grease. They had not been cleaned, as of my last visit two months later. Unacceptable.

4. Having large amounts of boiling hot grease over an open fire on a wooden structure does not sound like a good idea to me. How quickly could fire apparatus get through the crowd, vendor tents and other obstacles to mount an attack?

May I humbly suggest that in future events, cooking tents or at least pop-up canopies could be located on the East end of St. Marys Street, just behind the stage where it was set up this year. Thus, the cooking area would be out of the way and quickly accessible to emergency responders while still being efficient for serving the food lines....And most importantly, the pavilion would be totally accessible for everyone's enjoyment.

Respectfully, A Southern Gentleman
Al Pope

Saint Marys, GA

#8 Jan 16, 2013
Festivals a waste of time and money. Today there are 7 businesses in the downtown area and the City would be better off reducing the cost of the licenses than to spend all the money on labor use of the fire department, Police Department, and the rest of the city crew to hold an event for 7 businesses that is all that is left of the downtown.

You get a few people in the downtown for the fireworks held at the wrong time anyway it is to hot to enjoy during the day.

The Festivals should be held at night on July 3, firing off the fireworks at
12:01 AM on the 4 of July close up and go home around 3:00 AM then you won't interfere with Jacksonville may even be able to get a few folks up here on the evening of the 3rd of July.

“Master o Public Administration”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#9 Jan 16, 2013
Unless all of the good shrimp become extinct, why would you want to settle for rock srimp?
IDK

Tampa, FL

#10 Jan 16, 2013
Al Pope wrote:
Festivals a waste of time and money. Today there are 7 businesses in the downtown area and the City would be better off reducing the cost of the licenses than to spend all the money on labor use of the fire department, Police Department, and the rest of the city crew to hold an event for 7 businesses that is all that is left of the downtown.
You get a few people in the downtown for the fireworks held at the wrong time anyway it is to hot to enjoy during the day.
The Festivals should be held at night on July 3, firing off the fireworks at
12:01 AM on the 4 of July close up and go home around 3:00 AM then you won't interfere with Jacksonville may even be able to get a few folks up here on the evening of the 3rd of July.
. Hmm....you write over half of your commentary on what a waste of time and money festivals are and you finish with a recommendation of when and at what hours a festival should be held. Al, did your thought train take a 180 or are you just not sure what the hell it is you want?
Al Pope

Saint Marys, GA

#11 Jan 17, 2013
IDK wrote:
<quoted text>. Hmm....you write over half of your commentary on what a waste of time and money festivals are and you finish with a recommendation of when and at what hours a festival should be held. Al, did your thought train take a 180 or are you just not sure what the hell it is you want?
Consider it a waste of time; However, if you intend on having one then do it when you can get the most bang for the buck. That would be the evening of July 3 and shoot off the fire works just after midnight.
Al Pope

Saint Marys, GA

#12 Jan 17, 2013
Do not try to compete with Jacksonville you will lose ever time. It is like a flea crawling up and elephants leg with rape on its mind.
WTF

Dornsife, PA

#13 Jan 17, 2013
Moreno Jay wrote:
Unless all of the good shrimp become extinct, why would you want to settle for rock srimp?
I'm with Jay on this one I'll stick with white or brown shrimp.
besides last year on the overpriced dinner you got half rockshrimp half regular shrimp.
ah sol Moreno

Dornsife, PA

#14 Jan 17, 2013
Moreno Jay wrote:
Anyone can have a shrimp festival, dumb ass, including Fernandina Beach's which would be impossible to compete with.

Rock shrimp are delicious. During the late 80's and early 90's many groups from the base used to enjoy the outstanding fried rock shrimp lunches every Friday at the Riverview.

You want everyone to think that you are a culinary expert. Your greatest professional achievement in a food establishment was Assistant manager of a Burger King..........a friggin' Burger King.

Learn your place you fool. You raved about Peas and Carrots. They lasted less than 2 months, even with you doing their advertising for them every day. ESAD, ah sol.
WTF

Dornsife, PA

#15 Jan 17, 2013
If you pick rock shrimp over white or brown shrimp you have no taste at all.
Why do we have a srimp festival anylonger we have 3 shrimp boats in town Langs Pride, HERITAGE the cooks boat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Marys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wow, actual coward calling cop a coward 15 hr Ospreynites 14
Understanding Liberals 17 hr LonePalm 2
St Marys New Library 20 hr Jorge 3
Mueller flips another perp enroute Trump 22 hr Former Ospreyite 1
Slow Motion Mass Shootings Sat Lessons that counted 30
Arm teachers? Fri Yachtsman 17
Trump on preventing mass shootings: 'we're goin... Fri Yachtsman 8

St. Marys Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance