Comments
1 - 20 of 146 Comments Last updated Jan 26, 2013
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
caution

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 2, 2013
 
Heard the pd is shutting down is this true? When did we have a vote on this?
Chuck Trader

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 2, 2013
 
Not if we can rasie everyones water bill.
Redneck

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 2, 2013
 
Are you telling us that St Marys has a police department?

I've been here 35 years and you could have fooled me.
What ever you say

Herndon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 2, 2013
 
Chuck Trader wrote:
Not if we can rasie everyones water bill.
http://images.topix.com/gallery/up-E4AOMCCH3E...
on the take

Dornsife, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 2, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

caution wrote:
Heard the pd is shutting down is this true? When did we have a vote on this?
I heard that before but if its its true.The city may want to rethink that.I would rather see public works lose some of the one riding around all the time in those f-250 and keep our police force. Id rather see police patroling our streets than a full-time person doing up keep on the gilman park.why do they need a f-250 to drive home
anon

Herndon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 2, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Yes they closed on Tuesday there is no more police we are saving money to pay our other bills and give our council members a small raise
on the take

Dornsife, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

anon wrote:
Yes they closed on Tuesday there is no more police we are saving money to pay our other bills and give our council members a small raise
that is bull crap i seen several eating lunch at wendys on wed.
on the take

Dornsife, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Ya just remember these are the same people that voted to purchase te boathous behind closed doors.
Then pays over 200k for a part time lawer. hell im willing to bet we could hire a fulltime for that
Caution

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

I was told officers have been informed of what is coming and that most would lose their jobs, at a time when crime rate is going up this is not the time to mess with our pd dept. and our city should vote on it rather than a few council members that do not care about our safety, get rid of tourism and real estate property but don't mess with our safety it didn't work with the fire dept. years ago and cost us a lot to get the fire dept. running again and it will not work with the pd. either. Please help this from not happening to our officers.

“The one and only! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 3, 2013
 
Here we go again.

The question is not what is best for "our" officers (who will split at the first hint of another 50 cents an hour down the road) but what is the arrangement for providing police protection to the tax payers of St. Marys that represents the optimum combination of efficacy and economy.

Government by intelligence and rationality - not by illogical, childish, emotionality. That's what is sorely missing in all three Camden cities.
I heard

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 3, 2013
 
From what I know they have not decided on this yet, but it is a possibility. I do agree that we do need to consolidate and dissolve some services, but I do believe they are dissolving clerical and administrative staff and keeping as much police as possible. By dissolving the police department (not consolidation) it will save the city of St Marys about $2.5 million a year. Also, the city is looking to increase water customers by reducing the Capital Recovery Fee to 50%. However, the still want to renew SPLOST on the people.

I have a feeling that if they have and do dissolve the police department, SPLOST will not pass because the people will be aggravated about not having their own police force; but time will tell on how the County performs. This should be in interesting political year for Mayor and Council Member Candidates.

“The one and only! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 3, 2013
 
"I have a feeling that if they have and do dissolve the police department, SPLOST will not pass because the people will be aggravated about not having their own police force; but time will tell on how the County performs."

As incredibly stupid as that sounds, you might well be right.
I heard

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Moreno Jay wrote:
"I have a feeling that if they have and do dissolve the police department, SPLOST will not pass because the people will be aggravated about not having their own police force; but time will tell on how the County performs."
As incredibly stupid as that sounds, you might well be right.
As we know from the national election; voters are not that smart. They vote with emotion; not facts
on the take

Dornsife, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

of course they want to renew SPLOST.the reason for that is they are like crack heads but their addition is spending other peoples money.
If CCSO takes it over I hope jim will hire some of the ones in SMPD.
uheardcrap

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

St Marys is incapable of defining the services they need. They are also incapable of defining that cost..
Truth

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

The reason Splost might not pass is like more and more other counties who vote no on Splost. The tax is a fraud. Once promoted as a tax on only special capital improvement projects the tax is now being used for just about any special interest goodies.

Make no mistake about it the tax payers of St. Mary are being blackmailed into passing Splost 7.

“The one and only! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Too bad we can't introduce some Vulcan genes into the population.
bottom line

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

Regardless of your opinions of CCSO, SMPD, or the City of St. Marys this is the bottom line. This not a consolidation, a consolidation would mean that the two departments were merging into a county police department. This is a total disbanding of SMPD. SMPD has 4 to 5 patrol officers on duty at all times. There are approximately 4 detectives that are employed by SMPD. The Sheriff will not be able to budget having 4 or 5 deputies dedicated to patrolling the city at all times, nor will he be able to b udget an additional 4 investigators to work cases that happen within the city. At best there may be an extra 2 deputies to patrol the southern end of the county at any given time and possibly one more investigator. St. Marys will have significantly less police coverage and call time response will be much longer. Most cities who give up there police departments regret it.
Truth

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 3, 2013
 
Moreno Jay wrote:
Too bad we can't introduce some Vulcan genes into the population.
Yes, we would have one less ignorant fat man taking up space.

“The one and only! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 3, 2013
 
Okay, let's have a county police department. I've advocated that for years.

Relegate the CCSO to running the jail, courthosue security, and serving warrants.

Roll St. Marys and KPD assets into new county police department. Cities lower millage rates as able without police and county raises millage rates as needed for police.

What's the problem?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

St. Marys Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

St. Marys People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

St. Marys News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in St. Marys
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••