First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tommy Weaver

Kingsland, GA

#22 May 7, 2013
Turtle River Crabber wrote:
<quoted text>
If you bilge plugs down south would just keep your traps outside the marked channels, we wouldn't have DNR up our butts now.
Coast Guard has been getting complaints from boaters in the ICW, and now DNR and USCG are checking the sounds and rivers.
Thanks for all the attention you caused.
I talked to Gary in brunswick a crabber up there the only thing he said was he was asked to stay out of the shipping channel. like he said he dont crab in 60'+ but he is inside of red and green maarkers.
So Im saying you are full of crap also. but I will get the # for SSI coast guard office and ask them also
EPA nut

Saint Marys, GA

#23 May 7, 2013
Tommy Weaver wrote:
Jim I agree it is us as awhole but mr.peepleswill sa that the foam crab balls that is in hog hammock that behind the base last the shortest because something is eating the foam. He thinks its coming from he tugs not the subs.
second thing is if you think the EPA and the navy would not cover each others behinds you trust goverment more than i do.
just remember when gilman was running they did test for north river
Ever thought that it could be that the foam is now being made biodegradable so that your trap markers don't sit in the marsh for 150 years once they break loose.
Tommy Weaver

Kingsland, GA

#24 May 7, 2013
Im not a crabber but, if you can answer why a float that is in Brickhill River last 3-4 months longer than those that are in the Hammock. Im willing to listen.
I woulg think if it was the salwater all floats made with biogradable material they would last the same time. or is it they know what floats he is putting in the hammock?
Turtle River Crabber

Savannah, GA

#25 May 7, 2013
Tommy Weaver wrote:
<quoted text>
I talked to Gary in brunswick a crabber up there the only thing he said was he was asked to stay out of the shipping channel. like he said he dont crab in 60'+ but he is inside of red and green maarkers.
So Im saying you are full of crap also. but I will get the # for SSI coast guard office and ask them also
"Inside of red and green markers", just so you know, is INSIDE the channel. Anything between markers is "inside the navigable waterway". The law is clear on that subject. Maybe it is you and the crabbers who need to go back to school on that subject; I understand it clearly.
There is no longer a Coast Guard Station on St. Simons Island. Hasn't been there for years. Try the Brunswick Station.
While you're at it, call DNR and ask them, since it's DNR that will be doing the bulk of the enforcement.
I knwo most of the crabbers up here. "Gary" doesn't ring a bell. Once again, it's you idiots south of St. Andrews that are causing the trouble.
Best to stay out of a conversation that you are not qualified to take part in.
Tommy Weaver

Kingsland, GA

#26 May 7, 2013
Turtle so you are going to tell me that the car carriers can go anywhere inside what you are describing as a channel or is there there what everyne calls the shipping channel. Ive done some Tarpon fishing inside the markers and was only in about 15-20 foot of water depending on tide.
On the part about USCG so sorry use to be in bwk off 17 then on ssi last I was up there it was still boats at the causeway bridge.
I have no traps in the water here Im not a crabber but last year Gary was running traps for his dad.
Turtle River Crabber

Savannah, GA

#27 May 7, 2013
Markers and buoys are different. Buoys are generally set just outside the edge of the channel. With their "watch circle" they can drift up to about a 30' radius. They mark the edge of the dredged channel. Markers, including range markes, are always outside the channel. They can be anywhere, so as to aid in maintaining good water.
But "red and green" implies buoys, which mark the dredged channel. Inside of them is in the navigable waterway. It gets tricky where the ICW picks back up at Jekyll Creek. Unfortunately, that's also an area where trap floats are common.
USCG Brunswick is at the foot of the bridge at Plantation Creek. Both them and DNR. They use a common dock.
The car carriers and bulk freighters stay in the dredged channel. They have to. They draw anywhere from 20 to 30 feet, so yes, they have to stay between the buoys. Crabbers, obvioously, do not drop traps there. The issue is when they drop traps in and around the "markers" for the ICW and surrounding rivers. It's very common to find floats "inside the channel". This is where boaters, and DNR, are going to focus. And that's a shame. Like I said: a few bad apples ruining the whole basket. Good people, and honest crabbers, are going to be hurt by this.
This all started down in St. Marys, and we all wish it would have stayed there.
Tommy Weaver

Kingsland, GA

#28 May 7, 2013
Turtle you know that area better than i do im sure Do you know of a problem that has occurred up at the docks downtown bwk or ssi Jykell marina between those cities and fishermen.They give the others respect we both know that.but St. marys got with 1 sailboat owner here they tried to get where we could not anchor or them crab from STM river at ICW all the way up to nearly I-95.
So lets be honest if the fishermen up there were told they could do no anchoring crabbing shrimping ect.. from the ICW past the the ship docks without getting any input from fishermen. Would you think that you would feel a little bitter? then after we speak up we are the bad guys for fishing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Marys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Look Like Camden Will NOT GET SPACEX. Looks lik... 7 min Moron 15
Woodbine needs to Pay for Police and Fire prtec... 12 min Deadbeat Town 4
Viet Nam 2 14 min Colonel Kurtz 5
What has JDA done for Camden 19 min Komissioner Kow Klub 3
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 56 min Synergy 55,379
Democrats rule, republicans, well, ah, not so m... 1 hr Hank 4
Moreno's Public Endorsements 1 hr Bob 99
•••

Rip Current Statement for Camden County was issued at September 17 at 2:42PM EDT

•••
•••
•••

St. Marys Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

St. Marys People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••