Crab Trap removal date set

Posted in the St. Marys Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
P moses

Woodbine, GA

#1 Apr 26, 2013
Date is set but not near final. The basic details on the paperwork state, a joint effort will be made to clean the river and all crab traps removed. Reason behind the removal states, 1, no body comes to St. Marys to take pics of crab traps. 2, money from the traps does not help the town in anyway, and most crabs are sold in Fla. 3, the cost of a crab trap is cheap compared to the cost of a boat. 4, the river must be opened for tourists and pleasure boats , and not closed only for crabing.
Sea Doo XP

Dornsife, PA

#2 Apr 28, 2013
I like to run over the floats while going wide open and count the pieces behind me.
TrapCrap

Savannah, GA

#3 Apr 28, 2013
I have nothing against crabbers; they are just trying to make a living. But some of them show no respect for the environment they depend on, and that they share with other boaters. Case in point: crab traps in marked, navigable channels...and the trash that some of them leave in the rivers and sounds.

As is usually the case, a small minority of crabbers are giving all of them a bad name.

I have hit crab floats in the middle of the river. At first, I made every effort to preserve the trap line and float. Not any more. Prop hubs aren't cheap, and lower units start at $1500.00

Crabbers...you don't own the river...you share it. Now, when I see a float in a marked channel, I call DNR and the Coast Guard with the location and # on the float. Second time I see it, I cut the line.

Get mad if you want...but if you leave your crap in the middle of the river, don't blame me for cleaning it up for all boaters. Maybe when you run low on traps, you'll get the point.

Here's hoping DNR and Florida FWC finally do what they're paid to do.....
Tommy Weaver

Saint Marys, GA

#4 Apr 28, 2013
trap im not a crbber but if you cant see those white balls an hit them you may want to take a boating class.
I also know a few crabbers out of there that it would cost you a hell of alot more than 1500. if they seenyou cut a float.
I agree DNR needs to do their job lke enfocing the liveaboard law
X Illegal Dumping

Kingsland, GA

#5 Apr 28, 2013
Turds in the river.
nobs

Fernandina Beach, FL

#6 Apr 28, 2013
I find this issue ironic and fascinating.

Sounds like a great deal of hypocrisy from some of the ne'er do wells here.
StMarys boater

Savannah, GA

#7 Apr 29, 2013
Tommy Weaver wrote:
trap im not a crbber but if you cant see those white balls an hit them you may want to take a boating class.
I also know a few crabbers out of there that it would cost you a hell of alot more than 1500. if they seenyou cut a float.
I agree DNR needs to do their job lke enfocing the liveaboard law
I agree with trap. Some of them floats are so dirty you cant see them. And sometimes when its choppy, they are just under the surface. I also agree that it's not all crabbers. Just a few. They think they own the river cause theyve been here longer. Bull.

As for St. Marys, it's a joke. Almost broke, and throwing good money after bad. When the city goes bankrupt, Osprey Cove will probably form it's own city.

America's Second Oldest, and Georgia's Second Stupidest city. Right behind Atlanta.

Come experience the charm of true southern ignorance.
Jorge

Herndon, PA

#8 Apr 29, 2013
nobs wrote:
I find this issue ironic and fascinating.
Sounds like a great deal of hypocrisy from some of the ne'er do wells here.
nobs = Stealaway
Tommy Weaver

Saint Marys, GA

#9 Apr 29, 2013
StMarys boater wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with trap. Some of them floats are so dirty you cant see them. And sometimes when its choppy, they are just under the surface. I also agree that it's not all crabbers. Just a few. They think they own the river cause theyve been here longer. Bull.
As for St. Marys, it's a joke. Almost broke, and throwing good money after bad. When the city goes bankrupt, Osprey Cove will probably form it's own city.
America's Second Oldest, and Georgia's Second Stupidest city. Right behind Atlanta.
Come experience the charm of true southern ignorance.
boater i agree but this is coming from a crabber here for the last 50 years. look at his floats and thats what is coming from boats,golfcourses,and he said the main source of dirty water is the base.
before the base he would have to change floats about every 5-6 years now he is lucky to get 1 year out of them.

He also crabs up by 95 in st.marys river and after they put in water plant behind welcome center trap floats dont last.
As he said, people that make a living from the river takes better care of it than anyone because they know thats where they pay their bills.
nobs

Fernandina Beach, FL

#10 Apr 29, 2013
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
nobs = Stealaway
Wrong, Sherlock.
Jim

Savannah, GA

#11 Apr 29, 2013
Tommy Weaver wrote:
<quoted text>
boater i agree but this is coming from a crabber here for the last 50 years. look at his floats and thats what is coming from boats,golfcourses,and he said the main source of dirty water is the base.
before the base he would have to change floats about every 5-6 years now he is lucky to get 1 year out of them.
He also crabs up by 95 in st.marys river and after they put in water plant behind welcome center trap floats dont last.
As he said, people that make a living from the river takes better care of it than anyone because they know thats where they pay their bills.
Ummm, no...way off about the base. They have their own sewage treatment plant, which converts the sewage to grey water. The grey water is sprayed, via spray rows, in the hunting areas adjacent to the golf course.

Plus the fact that the EPA is a constant presence on the base, thanks to the polluted ground water the Army left behind. Those of you living in Crooked River might want to pay really close attention to those "test well" reports you should be getting in the mail.

It is, however, possible that the dredging of Kings Bay, and the use of dredge spoil to build up Crab Island, has altered natures' path of water flow and has somehow affected the local ecosystem. That part would not surprise me.

No, I'm thinking that it's more likely that years of gross human disregard for the things we toss, dump, and pump into the waters is more likely the culprit for the changes we have seen in our rivers and bays.

We have met the enemy, and it is us.
Tommy Weaver

Saint Marys, GA

#12 Apr 29, 2013
Jim I agree it is us as awhole but mr.peepleswill sa that the foam crab balls that is in hog hammock that behind the base last the shortest because something is eating the foam. He thinks its coming from he tugs not the subs.
second thing is if you think the EPA and the navy would not cover each others behinds you trust goverment more than i do.

just remember when gilman was running they did test for north river
Jim

Savannah, GA

#13 Apr 29, 2013
Tommy Weaver wrote:
Jim I agree it is us as awhole but mr.peepleswill sa that the foam crab balls that is in hog hammock that behind the base last the shortest because something is eating the foam. He thinks its coming from he tugs not the subs.
second thing is if you think the EPA and the navy would not cover each others behinds you trust goverment more than i do.
just remember when gilman was running they did test for north river
Yep, good point. You sure got it right about Gilman. A few years back, I spoke with a "site engineer" from Jax who had done some work for (I think) one of the development companies, and a very big name, that was looking at that site. He did soil samples and water testing. He said that if the truth ever got out about what all had been dumped on the Gilman site, and in the North River, that it would be "a Georgia Three Mile Island". Right then and there, I stopped fishing west of the jetties.

Makes me wonder if all them nutjobs in St. Marys came by it honest, or got some help from the water supply.
Cold War Warrior

Kingsland, GA

#14 Apr 30, 2013
No one has discussed the buried dump site at the old Squadron 16 site. The contractor office trailers were set up on the old submarine tender dump site as well as the parking lots and the recreation base ball fields. This dump site contains everything trashed from the tender industrial site. Triclhorethane, MEK, paint residual, copper wire from Mk 48 wire guidance spoils, etc. I watched it being bull dozed in and the recreation/parking lots built. It is just not talked about by base staff. There is no lining on the dump so you can imagine it is perking into the salt water aquifer and into North River estuaries.

Gilman is not the only one, and North River boat yard media blasting and storm water run off and Municipality high nitrogen water discharge located on the Satilla River, St. Marys down town and Kingsland discharge into theeSt Marys off of Hwy 17.

Got your interest. Have the local paper research these items and maybe eyes will open.
nutso

Saint Marys, GA

#15 Apr 30, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>

It is, however, possible that the dredging of Kings Bay, and the use of dredge spoil to build up Crab Island, has altered natures' path of water flow and has somehow affected the local ecosystem. That part would not surprise me.
Well it is perfectly legal to move swamp land so why not a river? What is a borrow pit?
Woodbine Nerd

Woodbine, GA

#16 Apr 30, 2013
TrapCrap wrote:
I have nothing against crabbers; they are just trying to make a living. But some of them show no respect for the environment they depend on, and that they share with other boaters. Case in point: crab traps in marked, navigable channels...and the trash that some of them leave in the rivers and sounds.
As is usually the case, a small minority of crabbers are giving all of them a bad name.
I have hit crab floats in the middle of the river. At first, I made every effort to preserve the trap line and float. Not any more. Prop hubs aren't cheap, and lower units start at $1500.00
Crabbers...you don't own the river...you share it. Now, when I see a float in a marked channel, I call DNR and the Coast Guard with the location and # on the float. Second time I see it, I cut the line.
Get mad if you want...but if you leave your crap in the middle of the river, don't blame me for cleaning it up for all boaters. Maybe when you run low on traps, you'll get the point.
If you can't miss a crab float, then you need to learn how to pilot a boat. Don't ever take a boat to lobster country or you will have a fit.
TAX PAYER

Kingsland, GA

#17 Apr 30, 2013
Woodbine Nerd wrote:
<quoted text>
If you can't miss a crab float, then you need to learn how to pilot a boat. Don't ever take a boat to lobster country or you will have a fit.
Apparently like me you had the opportunity to dive over the side in that freezing ass water to cut a fouled lobster pot line from your shaft.
miami

Saint Marys, GA

#18 May 5, 2013
TrapCrap wrote:
it will be a bad day if i see you mess with a crab trap. your boat will be sunk if i see you do that?
Turtle River Crabber

Savannah, GA

#19 May 5, 2013
miami wrote:
<quoted text> it will be a bad day if i see you mess with a crab trap. your boat will be sunk if i see you do that?
If you bilge plugs down south would just keep your traps outside the marked channels, we wouldn't have DNR up our butts now.
Coast Guard has been getting complaints from boaters in the ICW, and now DNR and USCG are checking the sounds and rivers.
Thanks for all the attention you caused.
Coastie

Americus, GA

#20 May 7, 2013
We have been given orders that effective June 1, we are to remove any traps found to be in the navigable waterways of the United States. This is a result of the complaints filed by the City of St Marys. It is not what we want to do but orders are orders.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Marys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 2 hr silverfox 56,896
Durango Letter 5 hr Jorge 2
Osprey Coves Polish Candidate 5 hr Nancy 33
Mitt Romney - he's running - Republican savior? 6 hr Charles 5
First Poll Results fro Camden County are in! 6 hr Jay Moreno 42
Moreno a closet buzzard? 6 hr Bob 5
Tracking Jay Moreno's campaign filings. 7 hr Bob 43
St. Marys Dating
Find my Match

St. Marys Jobs

St. Marys People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

St. Marys News, Events & Info