Wounded Warrior Project

Posted in the St. Marys Forum

Redneck

Herndon, PA

#1 Feb 3, 2013
Got an email today saying that WWP had refused a donation because it was from a christian church. I didn't believe that any veteran group would turn down donations simply because the donor were christion. I googled the group/allegation and several links came up. I looked at those and none were backed up by the mainstream media or even Fox neither was there a posting by WWP saying the allegation was false. I then checked them out on Wikipedia and was shocked to find out the Charity Navigation doesn't give them a high rating because of the amount of funds raised going to administration. WWP breakdown is as follows: 55% to programs, 44.8% to administration.

Unless I find out differently I will no longer contribute until a greater percentage goes to helping vets and less to the people running the organization.
Wharf Rat

Dornsife, PA

#2 Feb 3, 2013
Redneck wrote:
Got an email today saying that WWP had refused a donation because it was from a christian church. I didn't believe that any veteran group would turn down donations simply because the donor were christion. I googled the group/allegation and several links came up. I looked at those and none were backed up by the mainstream media or even Fox neither was there a posting by WWP saying the allegation was false. I then checked them out on Wikipedia and was shocked to find out the Charity Navigation doesn't give them a high rating because of the amount of funds raised going to administration. WWP breakdown is as follows: 55% to programs, 44.8% to administration.
Unless I find out differently I will no longer contribute until a greater percentage goes to helping vets and less to the people running the organization.
Most all such charities are like that when you check them out. I don't contribute to any of them. Everyone knows, or can find someone that is in need. Give to them and you know where your money's going.
Simplistic dolt

Cumming, GA

#3 Feb 3, 2013
I've heard some of the rumors for a few years. As an alternative for those interested in helping wounded vets and thier families, http://flyfishingforvets.com/index.html is on the up and up. They work with vets from Shepard Spinal Clinic. Cash donations are nice, but volunteers with boats that can take vets out for a day of fishing would be really kewl.

“The one and only! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#4 Feb 3, 2013
Fishing trips vs. custom built homes and rehab assistance. Hmm, that' a tough choice.
Simplistic dolt

Cumming, GA

#5 Feb 3, 2013
It's not an either/or binary set kind of thing. The vets spend a lot of time at the clinic learning how to tie flies, and even build their own rods. Hand eye coordination, motor skills, adjusting to the fact they no longer have 2 hands, etc. The fishing trips are sorta a graduation thingy.
Fatman Jay

Winter Park, FL

#6 Feb 3, 2013
My rehap assistance was all about eating. I passed with an A of course.
Business Jay

Saint Marys, GA

#7 Feb 3, 2013
More productive to create a line of hand tied flies vs trying to sue anyone that responds to you. Are your hands un useable? Well I guess they do feed you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Marys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New restaurant 1 hr Barney 7
Is Topix's "Dr.Lecter" a liberal or conservative? 1 hr Pandora 1
Unlikely location Chosen for specialized Ebola ... 2 hr spur40 8
N. Korea calls Obama name in latest hacking 3 hr Legacy Challenged 2
Borrell Creek 4 hr Brittney 6
RIP Topix 4 hr NFL Guy 3
The Liberal News Gang, and you slam Fox. 6 hr Dr_Lecter 7
St. Marys Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web