Comments
21 - 40 of 109 Comments Last updated Nov 29, 2013

“The one and only! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#23 Dec 10, 2012
caution wrote:
I don't get anything free and can hardly pay my bills and taxes, everyone should pay their fair share NO FREEBIES for ANYONE, especially using (tourist that just don't come}except to cumberland. Do away with tourism for downtown there is nothing there.
Exactly.

Continuing to indulge this "tourist magnet" fantasy is utterly ludicrous and always has been. Classic case of lipstick - paid for by the other 99.9% of us - on a pig.
Sea Lawyer

Kingsland, GA

#24 Dec 10, 2012
this should be wrote:
Simple, charge a fee to dock. The larger the boat the larger the fee. By the day, week or month. Also charge a small fee to use the boat ramp, also by day, week, month or for a year. Could also charge for parking. Then use these collected funds to pay for up keep and improvements to the water front area.
That's exactly what we don't need. Another downtown bureaucracy that benefits a select few. Enforce docking times so it doesn't become a homeport for free loaders.
this should be

West Palm Beach, FL

#25 Dec 10, 2012
Sea Lawyer wrote:
<quoted text>
That's exactly what we don't need. Another downtown bureaucracy that benefits a select few. Enforce docking times so it doesn't become a homeport for free loaders.
The select few will be paying the fees. If you use it pay. Much like when you go to a state or national park, the users pay a small fee. And just how do you propose to pay for said enforcement of docking times. This fee could be used for that as well as up keep.
Property Tax Payer

Herndon, PA

#26 Dec 10, 2012
You pay by the foot by the day or monty. A 30 foot should pay
$260 per month or $10.00 per day. That the going rate. Hooks ups for water and sewer are extra.

This crap of the City Council giving free dockage to strangers is unfair to us property tax payers. Why is the city in compitition with private dock owners in the first place.

City Council, focus on public safety and public works. Stop expanding the role of government and doing things you have no ability or athority to do.
Sea Lawyer

Kingsland, GA

#27 Dec 10, 2012
I suggest checking with city hall and finding out the amount of our city tax money is used for the ramps. Then check with the state Wildlife Resources Division.

No services are provided at ramp docks.

If you listen closely this dock issue is another special interest grab for the Gilman site. If we moored and docked more sailboats then by golly we would have to build one of those "boutiques" on that property. Followed by a welcome center for evening cocktails.
Anon

Herndon, PA

#28 Dec 10, 2012
The answer is to get rid of this council and reelect a council that will focus on public safety and public works. Enough of the real estate cartel and tourist focused blood suckers.
this should be

West Palm Beach, FL

#29 Dec 10, 2012
Sea Lawyer wrote:
I suggest checking with city hall and finding out the amount of our city tax money is used for the ramps. Then check with the state Wildlife Resources Division.
No services are provided at ramp docks.
If you listen closely this dock issue is another special interest grab for the Gilman site. If we moored and docked more sailboats then by golly we would have to build one of those "boutiques" on that property. Followed by a welcome center for evening cocktails.
Who maintains the ramp and docks? The city. Who pays for it? The city tax payers. Someone from lets say Ware county can come and use these and not have to pay a dime. I say let them help pay for this up keep.
The city should not have taken the Gilman property off of the tax roll.
Althia

Herndon, PA

#30 Dec 10, 2012
With all the debt problems/water and sewer problems facing the city; why is our city council focused on the needs of the Steal Away?

Have they lost their frigging minds?
Sea Lawyer

Kingsland, GA

#31 Dec 10, 2012
"Who maintains the ramp and docks? The city. Who pays for it? The city tax payers."

Nobody maintains the ramp and dock. Both were closed the entire season waiting State funds for weather repairs. Public works conducts a clean-up but no more than on a public street.
on the take

Kingsland, GA

#32 Dec 10, 2012
well I called fernandina marina to see what they charged to dock,they dont allow fulltime living at their dock downtown but the private dock on egans creek does but for the ones who ties dingys up at dock is 5.00 a day no time limit if its there 15 mins. its 5.00 if its there 8hrs its 5.00.
thats a private company over the marina
Sea Lawyer

Kingsland, GA

#33 Dec 10, 2012
on the take wrote:
well I called fernandina marina to see what they charged to dock,they dont allow fulltime living at their dock downtown but the private dock on egans creek does but for the ones who ties dingys up at dock is 5.00 a day no time limit if its there 15 mins. its 5.00 if its there 8hrs its 5.00.
thats a private company over the marina
Thanks for that info. A while back they were charging $20 bucks just to dock for lunch. Wonder if the $5 is a winter rate. And yes private with services gas, water, towing, etc...
Fernandina Pirate

Herndon, PA

#34 Dec 10, 2012
Sea Lawyer wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for that info. A while back they were charging $20 bucks just to dock for lunch. Wonder if the $5 is a winter rate. And yes private with services gas, water, towing, etc...
The rate is 20 cents a foot for up to three hours. You must have a 100' yacht there landlubber. Would ya' be interested in renting it out to the Pirates Club for one of our knock down drag out parties? Arrrggg!
on the take

Kingsland, GA

#35 Dec 10, 2012
Fernandina Pirate wrote:
<quoted text>
The rate is 20 cents a foot for up to three hours. You must have a 100' yacht there landlubber. Would ya' be interested in renting it out to the Pirates Club for one of our knock down drag out parties? Arrrggg!
No its not .20 a foot. We by accident tied up there to go get bait at Amilia seafood. we went up to got our live shrimp came back a guy was standind at my boat and wanted us to pay.I thought he was just a scammer went to office up there and the lady said that where I docked was the wrong dock for bait. They said charlies dock was the small one next to ramp,they said they would not charge because it was my first time.

“The one and only! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#36 Dec 10, 2012
this should be wrote:
<quoted text>
The select few will be paying the fees. If you use it pay. Much like when you go to a state or national park, the users pay a small fee. And just how do you propose to pay for said enforcement of docking times. This fee could be used for that as well as up keep.
Just automate it. Put in coin fed docking meters. When your time is up, a loud whistle, atop the Riverside Hotel, blows. Right after that, a recorded voice broadcasts the number of the slip where the time is up.

Thirty minutes later, if the boat has not moved, a vertical, surplus, torpedo tube imbedded beneath the offending boats berth will fire a keel snapping air slug.

I'm sure we have the local expertise.
on the take

Kingsland, GA

#37 Dec 10, 2012
I just went to teir website andto use a moorning its 20.00 perday then add 3.00 if you want showers add another 7.00 if i knew how to copy i would.
its all on their webpage
on the take

Kingsland, GA

#38 Dec 10, 2012
this should be wrote:
<quoted text>
The select few will be paying the fees. If you use it pay. Much like when you go to a state or national park, the users pay a small fee. And just how do you propose to pay for said enforcement of docking times. This fee could be used for that as well as up keep.
I think you are lost I very seldom use state or national parks but Im willing to bet alot of money some of my tax dollars are used to go into them.Ijust dont see just anyone can pull their RV into any park and stay for free

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#39 Dec 10, 2012
Citizen Kane wrote:
Why do we continually elect such idiots as we now have on St Marys City Council? The city is sinking in debt even with sky high property tax and water and sewer rates.
But, the idiots argue how to best allow free docking at the city yacht club that should never have been bought in the first place.
Sell the boathouse/yacht club, use the money to pay down the debt. Get out of the yacht club business. Get in the business of running the departments of water/sewer, public saftey and public works. IDIOTS!!!
It is an unfortunate reality that anyone with an ounce of good sense usually does not run for a local political position.
The common sense folks have to be begged!
AUC

Since: May 10

Atlanta, GA

#40 Dec 10, 2012
Althia wrote:
With all the debt problems/water and sewer problems facing the city; why is our city council focused on the needs of the Steal Away?
Have they lost their frigging minds?
Yes they have!!!!!!!!!!
Simplistic dolt

Cumming, GA

#41 Dec 10, 2012
on the take wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are lost I very seldom use state or national parks but Im willing to bet alot of money some of my tax dollars are used to go into them.Ijust dont see just anyone can pull their RV into any park and stay for free
User fees are fairly common at both state and Federal recreational facililities. I don't mind paying them, but it does bother me that our state legislature typically uses the money for something other than upkeep on the parks.
But I digress.

Sounds to me like the Steelaway has a flawed business model. It costs money to have a location to embark and disembark passengers, they should have allowed for that. If they want to externalize their costs, maybe they should find another location, somebody that will allow them to use dock space for free.

Speaking of their business model, they claim it "costs" them $1500 to offer the free tours, but they only charge $600 for a 4 hour cruise. It's been a few decades since I took Cost Accounting 420, but if I remember the basic concepts, that means they lose $900 every time they take a paying charter out. Not sure I believe their numbers.
on the take

Kingsland, GA

#42 Dec 10, 2012
Ive stated several months back for the city to do the same as state park.Charge 5.00 a day to use the ramps or buy a yearly pass.
If you do that charge every dingy the same amount to tie up to th dingy dock.

The money they make can g to water/sewer bond and upkeep to docks.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Marys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I bet Bob Nutter and his ilk are having a bad L... 4 min Jorge 3
NONUTTER.com Launched 5 min Jay Moreno 39
Background Checks of all Candidates 10 min Jay Moreno 10
Best for Council Jay Moreno and Rowland Eskridge 11 min Bob 15
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 18 min rename 53,363
Week-end Police want your blood in Check Points 1 hr dirty escuit 12
Bob Nutter and his ethic violations..... 2 hr Sigismund Schlomo... 14
Moreno's Supporters Site 3 hr Bob 21
Qualifiers for St Marys City Council 22 hr Southern Gentleman 91
•••
•••
•••

St. Marys Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

St. Marys People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

St. Marys News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in St. Marys
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••