follow the money
mad parent

Saint Johnsville, NY

#4 Dec 13, 2012
it should be up to the kids what the colors are.and only the kids
Priorities

Newark, NJ

#5 Dec 13, 2012
Who the heck cares? I hope we're focusing on which facilities we'll be using, what the staffing levels will be, what the transportation situation will be, and what the course offerings will be before we worry about the stupid school colors!!!
kids

Lake Luzerne, NY

#6 Dec 13, 2012
mad parent wrote:
it should be up to the kids what the colors are.and only the kids
what are you a nut. The kids shouldn't be making any choices. When you buy a car some colors are cheaper. we should have money saving colors. if we don't use blue we shouldn't use purple or yellow! leave the kids out of it and get the school board make a decision!
webstar

Fort Plain, NY

#7 Dec 22, 2012
I agree completely. Kids come and go. Some of these kids will leave St. J or OE and have no input in this community after high school. We should leave the decisions to the board and to the tax payers, those who are committed to these communities. School colors and a mascot are a big deal. Often times, this is the only outreach we have with other communities.
Your quite stupid

Johnstown, NY

#8 Dec 22, 2012
Oh yes your right, let's leave it up to the board, after all that's always worked out so well with board members who don't have any kids in the school making decisions for the students.
webstar wrote:
I agree completely. Kids come and go. Some of these kids will leave St. J or OE and have no input in this community after high school. We should leave the decisions to the board and to the tax payers, those who are committed to these communities. School colors and a mascot are a big deal. Often times, this is the only outreach we have with other communities.
webstar

Fort Plain, NY

#9 Dec 22, 2012
It shouldn't matter if they have kids or not. Often times, the members with kids only make decisions to benefit their own kids. Ultimately, the board represents the tax payers, who elected the board in the first place. Therefor, the taxpayers, through the newly elected board, should be able to choose the colors. BTW, it's you're not your...thank you.
You are quite stupid

Johnstown, NY

#10 Dec 22, 2012
That is the most ridiculous statement! You honestly think that board members who have kids in school make decisions to benefit their kids while board members without kids are looking out for for the kids best interests. What a stupid thing to say. You must be a current board member to make such a stupid comment. This board is not representing the community, they are representing their own personal interests. The ONLY good thing about this merge is that the current board HOPEFULLY will be gone and replaced by board members who actually care for the kids. BTW I know the correct spelling of you're, however it cannot be used that way in names in this forum. thank you
webstar wrote:
It shouldn't matter if they have kids or not. Often times, the members with kids only make decisions to benefit their own kids. Ultimately, the board represents the tax payers, who elected the board in the first place. Therefor, the taxpayers, through the newly elected board, should be able to choose the colors. BTW, it's you're not your...thank you.
parent

Fort Plain, NY

#11 Dec 22, 2012
What about the school name?
webstar

Fort Plain, NY

#12 Dec 22, 2012
From previous experiences, I have seen a few former board members who made decisions based on what was best for their individual kids, and not on the majority of kids. I agree that a new board will be elected which will hopefully represent both communities. Remember, caring for kids is not about giving the kids everything they want. It's about giving the kids everything they need.
You are quite stupid

Johnstown, NY

#13 Dec 23, 2012
I don't know of any former board members who made decisions based on what was right for their individual kids rather than the majority. Those board members who had kids in the school were very proactive in making decisions for the majority. There is more benefit to board members who actually have kids in the school than those who don't. At any rate I am I am hoping the new board will represent both communities and not just their own. I am hoping that Cindy and Ben are not on the new board, as neither one will get my vote. As far as what to give kids based on their wants and needs, I am a parent thank you that has raised 3 children that have turned out wonderfully. I know the difference between wants and needs thank you.
webstar wrote:
From previous experiences, I have seen a few former board members who made decisions based on what was best for their individual kids, and not on the majority of kids. I agree that a new board will be elected which will hopefully represent both communities. Remember, caring for kids is not about giving the kids everything they want. It's about giving the kids everything they need.
Hmmm

United States

#14 Dec 23, 2012
Obviously, school colors should be unique to the new school, so come up with a couple of options and then LET THE KIDS VOTE ON IT. It IS their school. I attended a high school that was brand new, and we decided our own school colors. It helped to make the place OURS.
You are quite stupid

Johnstown, NY

#15 Dec 23, 2012
I agree
Hmmm wrote:
Obviously, school colors should be unique to the new school, so come up with a couple of options and then LET THE KIDS VOTE ON IT. It IS their school. I attended a high school that was brand new, and we decided our own school colors. It helped to make the place OURS.
webstar

Fort Plain, NY

#16 Dec 23, 2012
Let's allow the kids to also vote on the number of hours they attend school and how many credits they will need in order to graduate. Let's assess the number of kids who leave this area after graduation and never come back. Also, man of these kids don't participate in band or sports, so why should they have a say in school colors?
Hmmm

United States

#17 Dec 23, 2012
Because it's their school, too. Deciding on their school colors is a legacy they can leave to future classes. Parents who think their local community rises and falls with football wins and losses really need to let go of their own high school years and let these kids have SOME say in what their new school will be about. They have enough to sort out without watching the "grownups" engaging in shouting matches over school colors and mascots. You may pay school taxes (so do I), but it's not YOUR identity, it's THEIRS. If you want them to settle in and get along, let go of this and let the kids decide how they want to be represented. Concentrate your efforts on the quality of their education, not on the color of their jackets. Seriously, do you think it's just the kids in band and sports who care about this stuff?
You are quite stupid

Johnstown, NY

#18 Dec 23, 2012
Seriously you have issues. Do the kids and the community a huge favor and stay out of school politics your small minded backwards thinking is not for the best interests of the kids...or the community...or anyone for that matter.
webstar wrote:
Let's allow the kids to also vote on the number of hours they attend school and how many credits they will need in order to graduate. Let's assess the number of kids who leave this area after graduation and never come back. Also, man of these kids don't participate in band or sports, so why should they have a say in school colors?
webstar

Fort Plain, NY

#19 Dec 23, 2012
I am pretty sure that the majority of these kids really don't care. We, as a community, can barely field athletic teams. We had to forfeit a girl's jv basketball game on Friday, because of not having enough players. We have 2 schools and still can't field teams. We have a generation of kids, who, as a majority, really don't care about representing their schools. Two schools, 9-12 grades, and we can get a total of 11 girls to play basketball. OE has a total of 3 boys, grades 9-12 playing basketball. 3 out of 45 kids...sure, let's let them choose colors and a mascot. We have a lack of participation in all extra-curricular activities. You people have really lost touch. What we do as a community is about the kids...not controlled by the kids. We have, as a society, let the kids run the roost, and we all know, it doesn't work. Hopefully our boards will do the right thing and decide all matters of importance to our new merged school.
Hmmm

Ilion, NY

#20 Dec 23, 2012
They don't care, so your idea is to make it even less important to them by not giving them a say in the matter. Yeah, that makes sense.

You have so little confidence in these kids, it's no wonder they don't care.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Johnsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ahh! Life on the Public Dime! How Sweet it is! 7 hr Tommy 7
Bakery for sale? 8 hr Ellen 16
Goddamn mexicans and black all over! (Sep '15) 11 hr Logger 14
Karawyga principal 15 hr Joke 77
Hillarys backers have a plan for the masses 20 hr Prince V 3
Leanne Reynolds Jun 28 Metok 9
School video Jun 26 Joke 4

St. Johnsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance