School colors & mascot
yankee doodle

Fort Plain, NY

#1 Mar 14, 2013
New colors and mascot were a great choice!! Now let's get it together and come up with a better school name. Oppenheim-Ephratah St. Johnsville is a mouthful. At least go back to using St. Johnsville Oppenheim-Ephratah so we can use St. J-OEs.(I've never heard complaints from Canajoharie when they are called Canjo) GO WOLFPACK!!
how about

Fort Plain, NY

#2 Mar 14, 2013
Southern Adirondack
Hawkee

Canajoharie, NY

#3 Mar 15, 2013
What would be wrong with Mohawk Valley Central?, This area is center of this valley, between Utica and Amsterdam.
Or even

Canajoharie, NY

#4 Mar 15, 2013
Or Central Mohawk Valley. That kind of defines the location. Wore the purple & gold proudly for years, but gosh what an ugly combination haha. Love the new colors--pretty sharp! The Oppenheim-Ephratah-St. Johnsville name is just too much. How do you even shorten it. St. JOE's is reasonable, but I think the O-E friends feel like their identity gets lost in there. I think a school name change could definitely be a conversation in the near future.
problemslvd

Saint Johnsville, NY

#5 Mar 15, 2013
Well isn't that awesome colors are picked and working on a name, atleast the important crap is being taken care of (haaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaheeee ee). Why worry about finances or education that should be low on the improvements. Next maybe everyone should worry about sports?

Oh an by the way, the colors, well......whatever!

Hawkee; mohawk valley, do we live next to ilion and herkimer?????????? Way to be original and express BOTH AREAS. Then of course this whole mess was never about OE.......WAS IT??????????
Hawkeye

Canajoharie, NY

#6 Mar 15, 2013
problemslvd wrote:
Well isn't that awesome colors are picked and working on a name, atleast the important crap is being taken care of (haaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaheeee ee). Why worry about finances or education that should be low on the improvements. Next maybe everyone should worry about sports?
Oh an by the way, the colors, well......whatever!
Hawkee; mohawk valley, do we live next to ilion and herkimer?????????? Way to be original and express BOTH AREAS. Then of course this whole mess was never about OE.......WAS IT??????????
Oppenheim is considered the Mohawk Valley also, look it up.
my thoughts

Schenectady, NY

#7 Mar 15, 2013
Or even wrote:
Or Central Mohawk Valley. That kind of defines the location. Wore the purple & gold proudly for years, but gosh what an ugly combination haha. Love the new colors--pretty sharp! The Oppenheim-Ephratah-St. Johnsville name is just too much. How do you even shorten it. St. JOE's is reasonable, but I think the O-E friends feel like their identity gets lost in there. I think a school name change could definitely be a conversation in the near future.
I think it needs to be discussed before now or it will never be done. This change, like the new colors, is important. It will set the tone that this is a brand new district, not OE, not STJ, but better. I love the Southern Adirondack name!
one2345

Indian Lake, NY

#8 Mar 15, 2013
The name needs to have zip, you cant just call it something not in the zip code.
one2345

Indian Lake, NY

#9 Mar 15, 2013
Hopefully shedding a little light on New York's confusing rules regarding the school district name: A district's name must include it's physical location as identified by zip code.

For example, suppose the board of education decided to name the district after our first U.S. President. The community could call it by its shortened name, the George Washington Central School District.

But—the legal name might be the George Washington Central School District at Oppenheim-Ephratah-St. Johnsville. The George Washington Central School District at Timmerman Creek (or Mohawk Valley or Southern Adirondack) would be rejected because those locations have no associated zip code
my thoughts

Schenectady, NY

#10 Mar 15, 2013
one2345 wrote:
Hopefully shedding a little light on New York's confusing rules regarding the school district name: A district's name must include it's physical location as identified by zip code.
For example, suppose the board of education decided to name the district after our first U.S. President. The community could call it by its shortened name, the George Washington Central School District.
But—the legal name might be the George Washington Central School District at Oppenheim-Ephratah-St. Johnsville. The George Washington Central School District at Timmerman Creek (or Mohawk Valley or Southern Adirondack) would be rejected because those locations have no associated zip code
How did Owen D Young or Adirondack schools get approved?
my thoughts

Schenectady, NY

#11 Mar 15, 2013
or Mohanasen or Schalmont?
problemslvd

Saint Johnsville, NY

#12 Mar 15, 2013
@Hawkeye; Holly bat poo did the dingo get your baby. Do you even live around here? We allready have schools in the area named MOHAWK, mohawk central, mohawk valley christian academy and so on. Did you ever hear of originality? The name needs to represent both areas, have a nice ring to it, AND NOT BE LIKE EVERY OTHER NAME IN THE AREA!

St JOE's isn't bad but I think there could be better.

Course even with all this written it still doesn't solve the real issue's. Without proper business practices nothing will change, and that is where it is headed.
yankee doodle

Fort Plain, NY

#13 Mar 16, 2013
problemslvd wrote:
Well isn't that awesome colors are picked and working on a name, atleast the important crap is being taken care of (haaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaheeee ee). Why worry about finances or education that should be low on the improvements. Next maybe everyone should worry about sports?
Oh an by the way, the colors, well......whatever!
Hawkee; mohawk valley, do we live next to ilion and herkimer?????????? Way to be original and express BOTH AREAS. Then of course this whole mess was never about OE.......WAS IT??????????
I started this topic, and I agree with you that prudent finances and quality education are much more important than new school colors and mascot. However, I wanted to note that the students of both districts had come together and made some great choices. The aspects of the new district you rightly proclaim as being the #1 concern of the district can't be decided on until a new school board is put in place. Time will tell if the new BOE is as good with its decision making as the students. GO WOLVES!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Johnsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drugs 3 min Johnson 17
Rivers Edge salon 7 min Johnson 13
Debbie allman 1 hr Just sayin 5
A. J Berry is where she belongs finally. God re... (Dec '14) Thu West Main Street too 15
Mayor helping out Wed Dum-de-dum 28
21 East Mainot Street Angel Maynard Jun 20 Wow 6
Fran Morotti Jun 20 Rhonda 3

St. Johnsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

St. Johnsville Mortgages