concerned

Saint Robert, MO

#1 Sep 27, 2012
How does everyone feel about the ambulance district?
old crow

Ballwin, MO

#2 Sep 27, 2012
If you have one be thankful!
unknown

United States

#3 Sep 27, 2012
Rip off. Charge close to $2000 to transport someone 100 miles. And that's without any treatment. Just lay them on a gurney and drive them. No IVs, no CPR, not a thing. Just a $2000 taxi ride just because the hospital says they can't accept a patient unless by ambulance. Awful abuse of a system.
old crow

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Sep 28, 2012
Unknown-- You have to be the most stupid human known to man!!!!
unknown

Clarksville, TN

#5 Sep 28, 2012
If truthful is stupid then so be it. Let me explain the situation for the simpletons like yourself: A person was taken to the hospital because of a depressive state. Pcrmc could not deal with this person because they are not qualified (not because it was bad, but because of the age) so they suggested transferring to a St. Louis hospital. They would not release the person to the parents to drive them to the Stl hospital. They said it is mandatory for an ambulance to do it or they could not be admitted (which is total BS if you ask me). The ambulance then put them on the gurney with no special care, rolled them in the ambulance and drove 100 miles. No care given, just transported because they said nobody is allowed to take them but an ambulance. 2 to 2 1/2 hours roundtrip for $2000. I could fly to Europe for cheaper. Just another way hospitals and ambulance districts screw over people. At an accident, no problem. But just to drive, get real!!!!
lovingmissouri

United States

#6 Oct 1, 2012
No really get facts straight. First of all, you have the right to refuse service. So you could have signed out AMA ( against medical leave) if driving yourself is the important. 2nd of all hospitals don't just do things for the heck of it. Hospitals can't just let you transfer yourself somewhere because if something were to happen on your happy little drive up there, you would have come back and sued the hospital for their negligence.
old crow

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Oct 1, 2012
Lovingmissouri---If you ever need a ambulance that may save your life I guaranteed the $$$$ are not a issue!!!!! I can verify that for a fact.
lovingmissouri

Fort Worth, TX

#8 Oct 1, 2012
old crow wrote:
Lovingmissouri---If you ever need a ambulance that may save your life I guaranteed the $$$$ are not a issue!!!!! I can verify that for a fact.
Why are you telling me this. I agree with going with the ambulance. Free for me anyways, but I was simply telling the other idiot who is against payin ambulance fees, that there is another solution.
Please

United States

#9 Oct 1, 2012
lovingmissouri wrote:
No really get facts straight. First of all, you have the right to refuse service. So you could have signed out AMA ( against medical leave) if driving yourself is the important. 2nd of all hospitals don't just do things for the heck of it. Hospitals can't just let you transfer yourself somewhere because if something were to happen on your happy little drive up there, you would have come back and sued the hospital for their negligence.
Bullshit......Every shill uses the 'liability' story as a catchall to avoid admitting the real reason they do things......But its bogus here.......the hospital has virtually zero liability from you voluntarily driving yourself.......there is vastly more liability from the ambulance as then they are directly responsible if something bad happens such as vehicle accident as you're not in control.......But there is no money made off you driving yourself.

The reality is that ambulance districts make very little money from emergency services......the money is made off transports. That is the root of the issue. It is a revenue generator so there is an incentive to use the ambulance for transporting anyone that needs to go to another facility.

I'm familiar with a few instances in some nameless districts where patients are routinely billed for services they never received, such as oxygen, as a matter of course. Most folks never check to verify they received the services they were charged for, and many don't care because they figure that is what their insurance is for. And that is why medicine has gotten so expensive.
Please

United States

#10 Oct 1, 2012
old crow wrote:
We are not talking about emergency services, we are talking about routine transports as a revenue generator.$2,000.00 plus for a hundred mile BLS cab ride could be viewed as excessive and its a reasonable discussion. Those screaming 'don't question ambulances, they save your life' as a way to avoid discussing the issue are trying to change the subject because they know that's not what the subject is.
lovingmissouri

Fort Worth, TX

#11 Oct 2, 2012
Please wrote:
<quoted text>Bullshit......Every shill uses the 'liability' story as a catchall to avoid admitting the real reason they do things......But its bogus here.......the hospital has virtually zero liability from you voluntarily driving yourself.......there is vastly more liability from the ambulance as then they are directly responsible if something bad happens such as vehicle accident as you're not in control.......But there is no money made off you driving yourself.

The reality is that ambulance districts make very little money from emergency services......the money is made off transports. That is the root of the issue. It is a revenue generator so there is an incentive to use the ambulance for transporting anyone that needs to go to another facility.

I'm familiar with a few instances in some nameless districts where patients are routinely billed for services they never received, such as oxygen, as a matter of course. Most folks never check to verify they received the services they were charged for, and many don't care because they figure that is what their insurance is for. And that is why medicine has gotten so expensive.
Ok. If you would have actually take. The time to ready my first post, I was giving "unknown" a way out of riding by abundance. I never argued once with the fact that things are expensive.
lovingmissouri

Fort Worth, TX

#12 Oct 2, 2012
Please wrote:
<quoted text>We are not talking about emergency services, we are talking about routine transports as a revenue generator.$2,000.00 plus for a hundred mile BLS cab ride could be viewed as excessive and its a reasonable discussion. Those screaming 'don't question ambulances, they save your life' as a way to avoid discussing the issue are trying to change the subject because they know that's not what the subject is.
Simple solution. Don't ride the ambulance! You can sign out against medical advice an when you die on the way to the other hospital, don't blame the original hospital!
Letsbclear

United States

#13 Oct 2, 2012
lovingmissouri wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple solution. Don't ride the ambulance! You can sign out against medical advice an when you die on the way to the other hospital, don't blame the original hospital!
Nice try......but the original story wasn't about a medical issue, it was a mental health issue. BLS isn't going to mitigate that at all. And they were told that they were be received on the other end if the transport wasn't made by ambulance.......so learn to read before giving your cookie cutter answer.

1) AMA was not an option solely because the treatment on the receiving is was desired but the expensive transport was neither desireable nor necessary.......I.e. there was no health issue to mitigate, hence the hospitals liability was zip, nadda, zero......it was far greater BECAUSE of the transport.......the hospital made the transport a liability by tying it conditionally to subsequent treatment.

2) Tying it treatment had nothing to do with fear that they were going to 'die' on the way there and everything to do with practices that make routine transports the primary breadwinner for ambulance districts meaning

3) A discussion about those costs is not only NOT besides the point, but entirely the point.

4) I'd love to remind folks if they do get billed for services, look at the itemized list of serviced charged for and ensure they were in fact received.......a charge for IV fluids or oxygen that you didn't recieve should not be written off as no big deal......

Most folks would throw a fit if they were charged for a $2.00 loaf of bread they didn't receive but don't blink when a precedure costing several hundred dollars they don't remember getting shows up on a bill......And many are cowed by the 'we save your life, don't question us' attitude......Folks, you're paying for a service......demand accountability.
lovingmissouri

Rolla, MO

#14 Oct 2, 2012
Letsbclear wrote:
<quoted text>Nice try......but the original story wasn't about a medical issue, it was a mental health issue. BLS isn't going to mitigate that at all. And they were told that they were be received on the other end if the transport wasn't made by ambulance.......so learn to read before giving your cookie cutter answer.

1) AMA was not an option solely because the treatment on the receiving is was desired but the expensive transport was neither desireable nor necessary.......I.e. there was no health issue to mitigate, hence the hospitals liability was zip, nadda, zero......it was far greater BECAUSE of the transport.......the hospital made the transport a liability by tying it conditionally to subsequent treatment.

2) Tying it treatment had nothing to do with fear that they were going to 'die' on the way there and everything to do with practices that make routine transports the primary breadwinner for ambulance districts meaning

3) A discussion about those costs is not only NOT besides the point, but entirely the point.

4) I'd love to remind folks if they do get billed for services, look at the itemized list of serviced charged for and ensure they were in fact received.......a charge for IV fluids or oxygen that you didn't recieve should not be written off as no big deal......

Most folks would throw a fit if they were charged for a $2.00 loaf of bread they didn't receive but don't blink when a precedure costing several hundred dollars they don't remember getting shows up on a bill......And many are cowed by the 'we save your life, don't question us' attitude......Folks, you're paying for a service......demand accountability.
Actually if you want to get technical. The original post was about the "patient" getting transferred by ambulance and the ambulance cost so much. The mental health was just an extra. Now AMA is never really given as an option. So as I stated early, the patient could have left AMA and not have paid the ambulance fee.
Letsbclear

United States

#15 Oct 2, 2012
lovingmissouri wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually if you want to get technical. The original post was about the "patient" getting transferred by ambulance and the ambulance cost so much. The mental health was just an extra. Now AMA is never really given as an option. So as I stated early, the patient could have left AMA and not have paid the ambulance fee.
And not gotten the bed at the other hospital......In other words further treatment was conditional on the excessively expensive cab ride.......That the cab ride was not medically necessary IS the point when discussing the expense.

Opting out of a $2,000.00 plus transport should be a viable option for those whom it is not medically necessary........But because ambulance districts are so financially reliant upon routine transports to make ends meet its likely that opting out will be discouraged as an option.
lovingmissouri

Fort Worth, TX

#16 Oct 3, 2012
Letsbclear wrote:
<quoted text>And not gotten the bed at the other hospital......In other words further treatment was conditional on the excessively expensive cab ride.......That the cab ride was not medically necessary IS the point when discussing the expense.

Opting out of a $2,000.00 plus transport should be a viable option for those whom it is not medically necessary........But because ambulance districts are so financially reliant upon routine transports to make ends meet its likely that opting out will be discouraged as an option.
They can't take you hostage and make you ride in the ambulance.
Letsbclear

United States

#17 Oct 3, 2012
lovingmissouri wrote:
<quoted text>
They can't take you hostage and make you ride in the ambulance.
When further treatment is made conditionally on a medically unnecessary ambulance ride it amounts to the same thing, as you well know.
Jennie

Washington, MO

#19 Mar 27, 2016
Top notch. Great crews. Highly trained.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. James Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pete 4 hr ?? 1
rikki bradshaw (Apr '15) 4 hr Richard 13
Kendra wilson kyle light (Jan '16) 6 hr john boy 42
Cassia Blankenship 7 hr exfriend 19
White Trash people in Rolla (Apr '16) 8 hr jrl 53
liar 9 hr candy 1
I'd stick it in her 12 hr Richard 1

St. James Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance