$21,750 for a demographer?!
Old Gator

Lafayette, LA

#41 Feb 10, 2013
countrylad wrote:
<quoted text>
You know how to fix this problem. Why don't you just do it?
Truth be told , I really don't care if people think I'm a know it all jerk. Especially anonymous internet people who have absolutely no bearing on my life or happiness.

Plus it is kind of funny to watch them get all worked up, some people take this place way too seriously.
how dare you

United States

#42 Feb 10, 2013
Howling wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you don't include Miss Howl in any of this mixture. You sing the praises of your commission but don't take into consideration that the sitting jurors have the responsibility of following the law. Who is this demographer you want so badly? I understand that you didn't get your pick for attorney. Your commission wanted to pay more money to Mr. Garrett. If he was so great, then why didn't he let you know that the redistricting should have gone before the Justice System approval before it went to the people for a vote? Take a little time, calm down and call one of your demographer friends. The numbers don't lie. Either they will work or they won't. The jury was dropped from 9 to 5 in 1980. The Justice System made them go up to 7. You need to learn a little history and a little law before you embark on changing an entire governmental body.
You might need to consider reading the actual laws which govern the police jury system. In 1965 and again in 1977 a group tried to force the HRC system on this parish. One all powerful president is a dangerous proposition.
As is the president, the governor, and all heads of state, etc. What is wrong with a "head of parish". Look at the other parishes in LA who have this form of government then, please, look at those with the antiquated police jury system. Compare the differences. Maybe then you'll agree that its time (way past time) for West Feliciana Parish to be jerked into the 21st century by their antiquated (antebellum) bootstraps.
Howling

United States

#43 Feb 10, 2013
how dare you wrote:
<quoted text> As is the president, the governor, and all heads of state, etc. What is wrong with a "head of parish". Look at the other parishes in LA who have this form of government then, please, look at those with the antiquated police jury system. Compare the differences. Maybe then you'll agree that its time (way past time) for West Feliciana Parish to be jerked into the 21st century by their antiquated (antebellum) bootstraps.
Ask Zachary and Central what they think about their HRC Presient Kip Holden.
Overthrow

United States

#44 Feb 10, 2013
to suggest that the police jury system is antiquated is also to say the US constitution is antiquated.
I am sure the HRC folkes are not too happy with the US government and the presidential process either. Maybe Walter can go to the US voters and change our America election as well.
The Dude

Lafayette, LA

#45 Feb 10, 2013
how dare you wrote:
<quoted text> As is the president, the governor, and all heads of state, etc. What is wrong with a "head of parish". Look at the other parishes in LA who have this form of government then, please, look at those with the antiquated police jury system. Compare the differences. Maybe then you'll agree that its time (way past time) for West Feliciana Parish to be jerked into the 21st century by their antiquated (antebellum) bootstraps.
It is funny that some people will say "look at parishes that have it now, they are so much better off now." Then others will say "look at parishes that have it now, they hate it and have nothing but problems."
Howling

United States

#46 Feb 10, 2013
how dare you wrote:
West Baton Rouge Parish is in the papers constantly with problems. Their HRC is not working so well.
King of Westfel

Gonzales, LA

#47 Feb 10, 2013
Howling wrote:
<quoted text>West Baton Rouge Parish is in the papers constantly with problems. Their HRC is not working so well.
No form of Democracy can save this place, the interbreeding gene pool has established too strong of a foothold. If they are lucky they may inadvertently elect a Dictatorial Parish President who will clean house and save the children, since the majority who are part of the gene pool are past saving! Now have fun with this one, once your seizures are over! LMBO!
Camelot

United States

#48 Feb 10, 2013
how dare you wrote:
St. Landry Parish is suffering terribly under its Home Rule Charter.
The current police jury system has more stability due to the control afforded by the State Legislative system, Home Rule Charter eliminates the majority of the oversight from the State Legislature.
This small parish has let the few loud voices of a few new residents in this area such as Sam LeBlanc, Jack Hanneman, and Sammy Boegus nearly ruin our little area. They want us to be Orleans Parish.
I personally like Mr, Young but to think that he will be representing a much larger portion of the parish for much less pay makes me frightened that there will just not be enough time for him to devote to the needs of the parish.
Under the pain developed by the HRC we will have Otis Wilson and Melvin Young governing 50% of the parish. The other 5 jurors will be cut down to 2.
To suggest as Oliveaux, LeBlanc and Percy that the jurors or overpaid and should have a huge reduction in their pay and then be required to watch over the expenditures of an all powerful President is another frightening matter.
The voters may have voted for this plan but most that I spoke with thought it had something to do with the School system.
Howling

United States

#49 Feb 10, 2013
how dare you wrote:
Bossier Parish (Shreveport) very successfully managing with Police Jury System. It is 115,000 residents with 11 jurors. It is much more successful than East Baton Rouge or West Baton Rouge.
Ascension Parish with HRC with multiple problems with Council vs, President. They are in the newspaper repeatedly with all sorts of problems. The President also just hired 3 Assistant Parish Managers to run the parish. They have also gone repeatedly to the taxpayers to get tax increases.
Cowboy

Arnaudville, LA

#50 Feb 10, 2013
It really doesn't matter which form of government you have until you find good, dedicated, educated people to run. Whether it is a Police Jury System or a Home Rule Charter Form of government, the differences really are not all that great. It is sad that a wonderful opportunity to create some change was missed by the HRC Commission. They failed as time will prove. Justice will not approve the four district plan and the commission knew it. Ask some of the commissioners and they will tell you that they went back and forth on the plan. An all white commission? Rejecting a Black Demographer? Were they wearing white hoods and the meeting and burning a cross? How much more out of touch could this commission be? Do they really think that they represent the parish? Do they really expect the parish to appreciate them for the time lost?
It would be better for all if the Charter could be sent back to the voters on a single ballot. The Police Jury then form a new commission that would refect the racial makeup of the Parish. Let this new commission fix the mistakes made. Get approval from justice and then sent it to the voters for approval. West Feliciana Parish could start moving ahead as one united community.

“Fresh Air”

Since: Jan 11

Saint Francisville

#51 Feb 11, 2013
Old Gator wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth be told , I really don't care if people think I'm a know it all jerk. Especially anonymous internet people who have absolutely no bearing on my life or happiness.
Plus it is kind of funny to watch them get all worked up, some people take this place way too seriously.
That's not what I meant. What I meant was if other people are using your alias and you don't like it, all you have to do is register it. Problem solved.
Old Gator

Lafayette, LA

#52 Feb 11, 2013
countrylad wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what I meant. What I meant was if other people are using your alias and you don't like it, all you have to do is register it. Problem solved.
Ooooo....Gotcha. I may so that.
Howling

United States

#53 Feb 11, 2013
how dare you wrote:
East Baton Rouge Parish has taxing budget of $746 million dollars
West Feliciana Parish has a taxing budget of.$7 million dollars.

East Baton Rouge Parish just voted in an additional 10 mill property tax so its residents can have buses. Thanks President Kio. Mu property taxes were already too high in Baton Rouge.
Joe Friday

Saint Francisville, LA

#54 Feb 13, 2013
I promised myself I would never post but I can't take the misinformation any longer.

Myth: there were no minorities on the HRC.
Fact: Several women were on the HRC and one black (David Cazalbanc) who had to resign due to work. If I remember correctly there was only one other black that applied which was Ms. London.

Myth: the HRC didn't follow the process of preclearence.
Fact: there were 4 lawyers on the HRC, plus Mike Hughes as the legal rep. The HRC asked the parish attorney if they should ore fie. He said no. They asked someone at the State AGs office. They said no.

The lawyers that have come to the PJ meetings have said that you didn't have to but it would have been better.

Opinion. The HRC did not have a budget allotment from the PJ. They asked to hire a special counsel and was denied. Once they completed the document, they felt it was better to let the voters decide on whether or not we wanted the new form of government before spending tens of thousands of dollars on ore clearance. I agree with them on that point.

Myth. All these other parishes with HRC are screwed up and in happy

Fact. Almost all the economically successful parishes in the state have HRC. No parish has ever changed back from an HRC by a vote of the people. HRCs continue to have the support of the voters.

In closing.
The orginal poster on this thread was trying to point out that most of the PJs are aginst the JRC and the redistricting. Not because they are interested in what's good for the parish but because they know that they will not be elected again due to the larger election districts. Fewer districts means we will move away from special interest groups to a more representative governement.

Allowing the PJ to control the redistricting will be the HRCs biggest mistake.

The sad part is that Otis and John and probably Lea think that if Mr. Floyd isn't successful on the first try that the HarC is doomed. Not true and this is why. I can draw 7 districts that the justice departmet will not accept. They don't care how many districts there are so long as the representation state the same. 3 of 7 = 2.3. 2 of 5 = 2.5 means that the rep goes up.
Myth Buster

Saint Francisville, LA

#55 Feb 13, 2013
Joe Friday wrote:
I promised myself I would never post but I can't take the misinformation any longer.
Myth: there were no minorities on the HRC.
Fact: Several women were on the HRC and one black (David Cazalbanc) who had to resign due to work. If I remember correctly there was only one other black that applied which was Ms. London.
Myth: the HRC didn't follow the process of preclearence.
Fact: there were 4 lawyers on the HRC, plus Mike Hughes as the legal rep. The HRC asked the parish attorney if they should ore fie. He said no. They asked someone at the State AGs office. They said no.
The lawyers that have come to the PJ meetings have said that you didn't have to but it would have been better.
Opinion. The HRC did not have a budget allotment from the PJ. They asked to hire a special counsel and was denied. Once they completed the document, they felt it was better to let the voters decide on whether or not we wanted the new form of government before spending tens of thousands of dollars on ore clearance. I agree with them on that point.
Myth. All these other parishes with HRC are screwed up and in happy
Fact. Almost all the economically successful parishes in the state have HRC. No parish has ever changed back from an HRC by a vote of the people. HRCs continue to have the support of the voters.
In closing.
The orginal poster on this thread was trying to point out that most of the PJs are aginst the JRC and the redistricting. Not because they are interested in what's good for the parish but because they know that they will not be elected again due to the larger election districts. Fewer districts means we will move away from special interest groups to a more representative governement.
Allowing the PJ to control the redistricting will be the HRCs biggest mistake.
The sad part is that Otis and John and probably Lea think that if Mr. Floyd isn't successful on the first try that the HarC is doomed. Not true and this is why. I can draw 7 districts that the justice departmet will not accept. They don't care how many districts there are so long as the representation state the same. 3 of 7 = 2.3. 2 of 5 = 2.5 means that the rep goes up.
The jurors are simply people in this parish who care about the parish and the citizens in it. To continuously villanize the juros is unjust. Whether there is a larger area that anyone who is foolish enough to taken the pounding that they receive by trying to effect good government for a very, very small community would make it so that these current 7 elected individuals could be reelected or not. Who is it that you suppose would be so much more electable if the number of citizens within a district is changed to 2500 vs. 1400.
It is interesting that the 3/4 parishes who are successfully managing under Police Jury system are considered so dysfunctional and illiterate. There is very little difference that can be done through HRC vs. Police Jury system with the exception that instead of a more round table type of government, you will, whether the HRC proponents will admit or not, have a 1 very, very powerful individual. I personally think it is better to have a group of 7 monitoring the goings on of the Parish.
However, I do not know why any person would take the spite and mistreatment bistowed upon the jurors of this parish.

“Fresh Air”

Since: Jan 11

Saint Francisville

#56 Feb 19, 2013
http://theadvocate.com/home/5219297-125/west-...

Excerpt from the above article in today's ADVOCATE: "Assistant District Attorney Mike Hughes said Floyd’s contract is written to be terminated after the first phase if Floyd determines that, in his opinion, the parish cannot be divided into districts that will satisfy the U.S. Department of Justice."

So, let's say this happens. What do we do then? Use such a finding to go to the Justice Department in hope of getting the whole thing thrown out? If so, we surely wasted a lot of time, money, and frustration on this thing, didn't we?
CitizenForAccoun tability

Denham Springs, LA

#57 Feb 19, 2013
countrylad wrote:
http://theadvocate.com/home/52 19297-125/west-feliciana-hires -demographer
Excerpt from the above article in today's ADVOCATE: "Assistant District Attorney Mike Hughes said Floyd’s contract is written to be terminated after the first phase if Floyd determines that, in his opinion, the parish cannot be divided into districts that will satisfy the U.S. Department of Justice."
So, let's say this happens. What do we do then? Use such a finding to go to the Justice Department in hope of getting the whole thing thrown out? If so, we surely wasted a lot of time, money, and frustration on this thing, didn't we?
I would think that if this comes to be, the jurors will have egg on their faces and would have to find another demographer who WILL do the job they are tasked with.
Tree Breaker

Saint Francisville, LA

#58 Feb 19, 2013
There is going to be a WHOLE LOT EGG on our jurors faces as the HRC and Ferry Landing issues develop
DOJ

Saint Francisville, LA

#59 Feb 19, 2013
CitizenForAccountability wrote:
<quoted text>
I would think that if this comes to be, the jurors will have egg on their faces and would have to find another demographer who WILL do the job they are tasked with.
I suppose the PJ could request a recount of the number of black voters in the parish which could help justify the HRC reduction of the number of required black districts in the parish this could actually pass the Justice Department.
Are you unhappy that Mr. Cedrick Floyd was successful in getting the Nachitoches HRC through the Justice Department requirements? Do you think his success with the Justice Department in the other parishes makes him a bad choice.?
What is the name of the demographer you wanted to perform magic on the numbers of black voters?
CitizenForAccoun tability

Saint Francisville, LA

#60 Feb 20, 2013
DOJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose the PJ could request a recount of the number of black voters in the parish which could help justify the HRC reduction of the number of required black districts in the parish this could actually pass the Justice Department.
Are you unhappy that Mr. Cedrick Floyd was successful in getting the Nachitoches HRC through the Justice Department requirements? Do you think his success with the Justice Department in the other parishes makes him a bad choice.?
What is the name of the demographer you wanted to perform magic on the numbers of black voters?
It's certainly seems as though you want to turn this into a race issue. I do not and will not so that. The only problem I have with Mr. Floyd is the fact that he has REPEATEDLY, both verbally and in writing, stated that he doesn't think the redistricting can be done. And the jurors are aware of his statements. Could that be why Percy and Lambert were against moving forward with the contract with Mr. Floyd? Could that ALSO be why Kean, Williams and Wilson were in FAVOR?

And just to relieve your mind, I do not have another demographer in mind. I have stated previously that I wish the PJ would have done a request for proposals and at least gotten several different demographers to apply. That way they would have a general idea of what demographers charge. Maybe we would have someone who has a positive outlook on the task at hand.

Now have a nice day!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Francisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
nfl 1 min Itsstupid 4
9-5-2017. Morgan,Benjamin A 28,10289 Bains R... 1 hr Kdad 4
President Trump - How's He Doing? (Jan '17) 2 hr 225fel 451
Middle school (Nov '16) 5 hr angrymom 74
Child Pornographer in St. Francisville 5 hr BlaCKHaT 67
Anytime fitness 5 hr Flexthis 3
News Morgan, Anderson Booked for Murder of Kurt Howard (Jun '10) Sun Kdad 805

St. Francisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance