LETTER: West Feliciana population de...

LETTER: West Feliciana population declining

There are 18 comments on the www.2theadvocate.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled LETTER: West Feliciana population declining. In it, www.2theadvocate.com reports that:

After reading in The Advocate the report of the West Feliciana Parish School Board meeting, I felt that someone needed to inform lawyer Dan Willis that it is the lack of growth within our parish, and a School Board that doesn’t recognize that lack of growth, that causes our taxes to increase.

The school system has lost more than 200 students per year for the past three years (this number verified by the new superintendent). With this loss goes funding from both the state and federal levels.

The School Board chose to increase taxes versus downsizing accordingly (or trying to live within its budget, as I do). We have the only school system within the state that gave raises this year and continues to have give-away programs and to increase staff.

Also, with a loss of 200-plus families over the last three years within the parish, we are a parish with a declining population. Declining population also means a smaller tax base. Therefore, anyone who wants to maintain the level of services we currently enjoy within the parish needs to support proper growth versus hindering it, or get prepared for higher taxes.

Sammy Bougeus

retired maintenance supervisor

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.2theadvocate.com.

DITTO

Baton Rouge, LA

#1 Aug 4, 2010
I think that pretty much sums it UP.
DITTO
Randy

New Iberia, LA

#2 Aug 4, 2010
Sounds pretty simple to me! No sales tax revenue from new retail means INDIVIDUAL Ad Volurum goes up, or services go down. Chose your poison.
Regina

Denham Springs, LA

#3 Aug 4, 2010
This is a letter in the Baton Rouge paper from somebody who is supposed to be guiding economic development in West Feliciana? Does this sound encouraging to businesses or prospective new residents? Can't we find somebody at least halfway professional with experience other than janitorial(no, Jonesie was not anywhere near that)?
Randy

New Iberia, LA

#4 Aug 4, 2010
Regina wrote:
This is a letter in the Baton Rouge paper from somebody who is supposed to be guiding economic development in West Feliciana? Does this sound encouraging to businesses or prospective new residents? Can't we find somebody at least halfway professional with experience other than janitorial(no, Jonesie was not anywhere near that)?
Maybe the Fork Lift Driving, Sheriff, The Janitoral Supply Sale, Mayor, The Home Care Nurse, Police Juror, The Bus Driver, Police Juror? Should I go on?
Regina

Denham Springs, LA

#5 Aug 4, 2010
And every one of them knows more about economic development than the letter writer. Wait, I take that back. Maybe not the busdriver.
Simpleton Sammy

French Settlement, LA

#6 Aug 4, 2010
What a goof ball. I thought at first he had a fictious name - "Bogus". This is the man chosen by Ken Dawson to serve on the Board for Community Development. Way to go Ken... I suppose as long as Bogus makes negative statements about the School Board, the Hospital Board, and the Town of St. Francisville, then Mr. Shoemake, Sims and Dawson will be happy. I wonder if he will fall in line with these leaders and begin to attack the Tourist Commission.

Boegus was the same man who praised Sims' raise in a previous letter to the editor. He worked hard to get a tax passed for the PJ.
Bogus has the actions of the School Board and the Police Jury mixed up.

What's next? The Community Development Board will pay consultants from Baton Rouge to create a comprehensive plan on how to run an efficient school system. What a joke!!

Our Parish is what others aspire to be - we need leaders who promote the good in our parish. Bogus has no business being on a board for community development. He is a negative little man. Go away little man!!

RYAN

Gonzales, LA

#7 Aug 5, 2010
Mr. Bogus or PACMAN, a couple questions on your letter. Your verified numbers of 600 students lost in three years, is that a net loss? Are you only using the gradulating class and others but not including new beginning students. Same with the loss of 200 families, where did you get that number from? Are you only counting when the paper mill closes but not when it reopens? So there are a very large number of vacant homes for sale. Are you getting help from Sims and comphoney on how to bad mouth the parish or found Jone's manuals. Doomsday is coming, the sky is falling and PACMAN is choppin' out of both sides of his mouth.
Claire

Breaux Bridge, LA

#8 Aug 6, 2010
Mr. Bougeus appears to be the person who needs to be informed of some actual facts. Perhaps in his position as a board member of the Economic Development Foundation he might have access to these facts. I, as a parent whose children attend the school system, and as a resident who gladly PAYS the taxes that support our VERY successful school system, obtained it with a few phone calls.

We have not lost 200 students PER year for the last 3 years. We have in fact lost a TOTAL of about 200 in the last three years. Our current enrollment is basically the same as it was 5 years ago (pre-Katrina).

With this loss, we have lost approx.$4000 per student in state funding and approx.$1300 in federal funding per student. The loss is MORE than offset by the over $10,000 it takes to educate EACH student. That would be a SAVINGS of approx.$4700 per student. Not to mention that we have one of the only free Pre-K programs in the state and it is fully funded locally.

Last year our school system cut 15 positions. That is a considerable downsizing. What we DID NOT DO was give raises. Not this year. Not last year.

I am not aware that the census numbers have been released yet. If in fact the parish has lost 200 families over the last three years, then why is the West Feliciana Police Jury continually pushing programs to accommodate our “rapidly expanding population”?

We have such faith in the excellent job that our school system is doing that we passed the tax increases by about 62% to 38% and returned ALL SEVEN school board members to office UNOPPOSED. It is a proven fact that good school systems drive economic development. Therefore, if we want to maintain the level of services we currently enjoy within the school system and the parish we will continue to support proper growth through the political subdivisions that practice it.

Claire P. Mott
PROUD Resident
St. Francisville
Regina

Denham Springs, LA

#9 Aug 6, 2010
Great letter, Claire, and it shows us that we should not blindly believe statistics quoted by the uninformed, even in print. Hope you send a copy to The Advocate as well as The Democrat. This is the kind of positive and supportive approach we need to progress sensibly.
Just Saying

Denham Springs, LA

#10 Aug 6, 2010
Claire wrote:
Mr. Bougeus appears to be the person who needs to be informed of some actual facts. Perhaps in his position as a board member of the Economic Development Foundation he might have access to these facts. I, as a parent whose children attend the school system, and as a resident who gladly PAYS the taxes that support our VERY successful school system, obtained it with a few phone calls.
We have not lost 200 students PER year for the last 3 years. We have in fact lost a TOTAL of about 200 in the last three years. Our current enrollment is basically the same as it was 5 years ago (pre-Katrina).
With this loss, we have lost approx.$4000 per student in state funding and approx.$1300 in federal funding per student. The loss is MORE than offset by the over $10,000 it takes to educate EACH student. That would be a SAVINGS of approx.$4700 per student. Not to mention that we have one of the only free Pre-K programs in the state and it is fully funded locally.
Last year our school system cut 15 positions. That is a considerable downsizing. What we DID NOT DO was give raises. Not this year. Not last year.
I am not aware that the census numbers have been released yet. If in fact the parish has lost 200 families over the last three years, then why is the West Feliciana Police Jury continually pushing programs to accommodate our “rapidly expanding population”?
We have such faith in the excellent job that our school system is doing that we passed the tax increases by about 62% to 38% and returned ALL SEVEN school board members to office UNOPPOSED. It is a proven fact that good school systems drive economic development. Therefore, if we want to maintain the level of services we currently enjoy within the school system and the parish we will continue to support proper growth through the political subdivisions that practice it.
Claire P. Mott
PROUD Resident
St. Francisville
Livingston Parish has free Pre-k programs funded locally.
Hello

Pride, LA

#11 Aug 7, 2010
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Livingston Parish has free Pre-k programs funded locally.
Note she said ONE OF THE ONLY, not the only. Livingston also has one of the highest ranking school systems ion the state - see the possible correlation?
Success

French Settlement, LA

#12 Aug 7, 2010
Claire wrote:
Claire P. Mott
PROUD Resident
St. Francisville
Please tell me how many students did our school system receive from the displaced families from Katrina. Is that where the so called "lost" student figures came from?? 600 Students??
This man, Mr. Bogeus has no business being a representative of our parish.
It appears from his letters and emails he only has eyes for Ambrose. Ambrose and crew appointed him to the Economic Board to replace the professionals who were serving on the CDF board.
Just Saying

Denham Springs, LA

#13 Aug 9, 2010
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Note she said ONE OF THE ONLY, not the only. Livingston also has one of the highest ranking school systems ion the state - see the possible correlation?
I agree. Sorry. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was correcting her. I was just adding another school to the one of the only.
Burl

Washington, DC

#14 Aug 9, 2010
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text> I agree. Sorry. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was correcting her. I was just adding another school to the one of the only.
Missing the point! System is at a crossroad! will quality decline due to reduced revenue from all sources, Local, State, Federal? Answer YES!!
I like the new Supt. he is a realistic goal oriented guy who will make the best out of what he has. He will succeed if the locals will back him. The odds are they will skin him and throw him to the wolves at the first sign of controversey or challnge to the Lindsey Docturine. Remember, the board and the community has had many years of Lindsey success, any thing that is perceived as different ways of skinning the cat will meet opposition.
James

New Iberia, LA

#15 Aug 10, 2010
Regina wrote:
Great letter, Claire, and it shows us that we should not blindly believe statistics quoted by the uninformed, even in print. Hope you send a copy to The Advocate as well as The Democrat. This is the kind of positive and supportive approach we need to progress sensibly.
Hi Claire/Regina

The real question is? How many students or in High School Today? How many students or in Middle School Today? How many students are in elementary School Today? How many students will it require at each of these levels before additional resources are required? Even if that is additional staff or Temporary buildings.
If the number is say, at ALL levels, they can handle an additional 200 at each of the three levels, how many roof tops will it take to maximize the current facilities and staff? My guess is at least 150 roof tops. How many years do you think it is going to be before 100 new roof tops show up in WFP? To be anti CONTROLLED/PLANNED Growth in this parish is bogus based on stressing the current school system capabilities. Ever child that is added will have a parent and every parent will be required to paz sales and advolurm taxes.
Ms Francis

United States

#16 Aug 10, 2010
James wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Claire/Regina
The real question is? How many students or in High School Today? How many students or in Middle School Today? How many students are in elementary School Today? How many students will it require at each of these levels before additional resources are required? Even if that is additional staff or Temporary buildings.
If the number is say, at ALL levels, they can handle an additional 200 at each of the three levels, how many roof tops will it take to maximize the current facilities and staff? My guess is at least 150 roof tops. How many years do you think it is going to be before 100 new roof tops show up in WFP? To be anti CONTROLLED/PLANNED Growth in this parish is bogus based on stressing the current school system capabilities. Ever child that is added will have a parent and every parent will be required to paz sales and advolurm taxes.
I pray you're not a teacher! Most certainly not an English teacher. What a dumb-ass site. Kind of sorry I found it. Comic relief, thanks for the proviso, James. What a jerk.
Livingston Ascension

United States

#17 Sep 19, 2010
Claire wrote:
Claire P. Mott
PROUD Resident
St. Francisville
I hope old Sammy Bogus will read the paper this weekend. Livingston Parish is bursting at the seams due to all the people and growth - what's happening to their wonderful school system?? They are in need of new taxes to help pay for all the extra children in the system. There is not enough room for them and not enough money to go around.
What about Ascension Parish. Same scenario. They get more money from the State and Feds, but, it takes more money than they get to teach the children.
Concerned

Baton Rouge, LA

#18 Sep 21, 2010
Article in The Advocate this morning about the residents of Ascension Parish rising up in protest and overthrowing the "smart growth" plan there because local suggestions and protections were not incorporated into the process. Maybe parish governing bodies all over should stop throwing away all this money to bring in so-called outside experts to pander to the greedy developers and instead concentrate on providing quality services to the people who actually live there. THAT's what would make new growth possible. NO, I'm not against progress or sensible growth, but don't forget about the residents who are already here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Francisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stealing a Parish While Silencing a Public 15 min Smells Fishy 14
Tonight's EDB Meeting Results 20 min Smells Fishy 28
* New Campaign Issue: Audubon/Bailey * (Oct '15) 20 hr bailey is bad 20
News Number of Louisiana towns have pit bull bans wh... (Dec '14) Sun Demosthenes Washi... 23
Rod Dreher is on the cover of the latest Greate... (Apr '13) Sun Chemo Sabe 571
Too close to home May 21 Damn skippy 1
No News on Solitude Water Problem May 20 Paul II 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

St. Francisville Mortgages