Is Elmwood School a Charter or private school now?

Posted in the St. Clair Shores Forum

Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Feb 24, 2013
Patrick H

Saint Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Hi,
Recently moved back to SCS from Muskegon. We are renting till spring and have been looking at houses in the south end of town. I was driving around one afternoon and ended up in a neighborhood between Mack and Marter Rd. I came across a school back in there called I think Elmwood. It's in an area of mostly well-kept post war houses. My question is, is it a charter school now? The reason I ask is because as school was dismissed, I noticed that almost every student was African American. All the cars waiting outside for a student pick-up were driven by African Americans. Frankly, and shame on me for saying it, this is not what I want for my 3 kids. I just saw what this type of thing did to the schools and neighborhoods in Muskegon. That's mostly why I took the transfer back here. Where else around here should I be looking to buy where the schools don't allow anybody with a pulse and a child to enroll?
Go North young man

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

If not into Lakeview or Lakshore then further, Shelby Twp, Macomb, Chesterfield. Stay away from the south end, Southlake is over 70% minority now, fed from "School of choice" and close proximity to Eastpointe and Detroit
blind eye

Grosse Pointe, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Go North young man wrote:
If not into Lakeview or Lakshore then further, Shelby Twp, Macomb, Chesterfield. Stay away from the south end, Southlake is over 70% minority now, fed from "School of choice" and close proximity to Eastpointe and Detroit
Thank you Ronnie!
X FACTOR

Saint Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Patrick H wrote:
Hi,
Recently moved back to SCS from Muskegon. We are renting till spring and have been looking at houses in the south end of town. I was driving around one afternoon and ended up in a neighborhood between Mack and Marter Rd. I came across a school back in there called I think Elmwood. It's in an area of mostly well-kept post war houses. My question is, is it a charter school now? The reason I ask is because as school was dismissed, I noticed that almost every student was African American. All the cars waiting outside for a student pick-up were driven by African Americans. Frankly, and shame on me for saying it, this is not what I want for my 3 kids. I just saw what this type of thing did to the schools and neighborhoods in Muskegon. That's mostly why I took the transfer back here. Where else around here should I be looking to buy where the schools don't allow anybody with a pulse and a child to enroll?
WOW you really got Jack Downey to fall for this stupid post. Nice work
Patrick H

Saint Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Fall for this stupid post? Not sure what your meaning is. My only concern for my kids is the incontrovertable fact that the more blacks there are in any school district,the lower the test scores. The lower the graduation rates. The higher the rate of teen pregnancies. The higher the crime stats.
Somebody just emailed me an UNBELIEVABLE article about the high school for the south area of St. Clair Shores. It charts the rapid downward spiral of academic performance..to a point where it appears the State has put the school on some sort of probation. I even heard the school has had police and private security at sporting events due to gangs. The only measurable stat with any correlation is the change in the racial makeup of the students. Sorry that you found my posting "stupid" Call me what you will. I won't subject my children to the inevitable if I have a choice. I asked around at work today. To a person,everybody told me to steer clear of SCS and Harper Woods. And by the way... what's this they were talking about with the rats. Did they mean actual rats?
Nit Wit

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

St. Clair Shores does not compare to Harper Woods. SCS is still one of the whitest cities in Macomb county you racist moron.
lines on the map

Grosse Pointe, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Buy north of martin rd.
Patrick H

Saint Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

QUOTE who="Nit Wit"]St. Clair Shores does not compare to Harper Woods. SCS is still one of the whitest cities in Macomb county you racist moron.
Racist moron? What, pray tell, is racist about what I said. I'm talking about South Lake Schools. Is saying that smoking causes cancer somehow misleading even though every person who smokes does not get cancer? Again..please end the debate for all of us and present the data which shows that lifestyle indicators IMPROVE as the number of blacks increase. Grades go up? crime goes down? Please send your kids to those schools. I won't. Don't worry, as they say, the world needs cab drivers and single moms.too.
Prayer works

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

To patrick first off I would like to take this time to say that I am african American and yes my children goes to Southlake schools but they all are honor roll students and not minority. One thing that strikes me the most is that people are so quick to put the black race down instead of trying to do something that will lift them up. The bible teaches us to be of help and good courage and to lift up and not tear down. I truly believe that your statement does show some kind of racism but Im not judging you for I am not to judge. I just wish that people would be more like Jesus and just have the love that He has because when He went to the cross He didnt just die for once race He died for us all. I just pray for people because my brother was kidnapped and raped by a white man and Im telling you that was a rough time for my family but it didnt deture our way of thinking towards white people. We were raised to love one another no matter the color because God created us all equal. All Im saying is is that we should think before we act because in the end whatever we do in this life we will answer for in the afterlife and these children today need more love and prayer than satistics being shown or how one sees the another race. Life is too short so try to make a difference instead of looking at the worlds imcrimination on the black race.....God bless you
Patrick H

Saint Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Again..my stating plain fact does not make me racist. For you or anyone to claim otherwise is plain stupidity. My choice to not enroll my kids in a school system that is doomed to fail is prejudiced, not racist. Get the difference? To Pre-Judge is not the same. As a child you learn to pull your hand back from a hot stove. You have pre-judged that you will be burned otherwise.
I'm sorry that your brother was raped by a white man, and congrats on the academic prowess of your children. However, none of this changes the fact that statistically, as the number of blacks rise in a school district, so does the number of dropouts, teen pregnancies, crime, and sub-standard test scores. It might be that rather than calling me a racist, you could be focusing your efforts on fixing the mostly broken black community.
God bless.
andy

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Wow Patrick if you cannot see how your post is racist then you are really out of touch .perhaps you would feel better enrolling your children in a up north mich school like grayling or Gaylord . Of coarse there is no garentee the wont be exposed to non white students I wonder if the David Dukes accademy has a opening? one thing tho most residents in st clair shores dont really like renters they usually turn out to be low class dirtbags that dont pay school taxes and run down our neighbor hoods & commit crimes so feel free to leave our fair city any time on your search for your perfect n----r free world
prime example

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

In 1976 the East Detriot (not east point) school system had about 3 African American students in the whole high school. Now it is probably about 85% non white and the school and CITY has suffered severely within the last ten years. So I'm just saying, hopefully saint clair shores will not end up the same way East point has and they say what's in a name?
HOD

Saint Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

andy wrote:
Wow Patrick if you cannot see how your post is racist then you are really out of touch .perhaps you would feel better enrolling your children in a up north mich school like grayling or Gaylord . Of coarse there is no garentee the wont be exposed to non white students I wonder if the David Dukes accademy has a opening? one thing tho most residents in st clair shores dont really like renters they usually turn out to be low class dirtbags that dont pay school taxes and run down our neighbor hoods & commit crimes so feel free to leave our fair city any time on your search for your perfect n----r free world
Hate to disagree, but nothing the O.P. said is "racist" per se. If I believe his stats regarding the affect of urban blacks on a school system,(they sound reasonable)then it actually sounds like responsible parenting to avoid a school system that is is trending like South Lake and has fallen as far as SL has. I graduated from SL in 79' and it was a top, top school. We were proud to say we went there. Not sure I could say that today. Even the School Board Prez tried to explain the frightening drop in test scores by saying it was mostly due to school-of-choice students comming from Detroit. Very, very sad. Bad mistake by the school board.
Cracker Who

Saint Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

HOD wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to disagree, but nothing the O.P. said is "racist" per se. If I believe his stats regarding the affect of urban blacks on a school system,(they sound reasonable)then it actually sounds like responsible parenting to avoid a school system that is is trending like South Lake and has fallen as far as SL has. I graduated from SL in 79' and it was a top, top school. We were proud to say we went there. Not sure I could say that today. Even the School Board Prez tried to explain the frightening drop in test scores by saying it was mostly due to school-of-choice students comming from Detroit. Very, very sad. Bad mistake by the school board.
Sad to say but Southlake always sucked and the kids back in 79 were worse than the children of color today.

Most of the properties in that area or district are dumps and always were dumps. I am stuned people still live there most of all people buying there so be glad you get to have new neighbors it isnt going to last.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent St. Clair Shores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Recall 28 min Cold Hearted 15
no to mike smith 8 hr Justice for 2nd a... 19
I'm a Member of the American 'Used-to-Haves' (Feb '14) 9 hr Answer the question 23
Rats Tue Fega 10
Splash Pad Closed Again Tue Fire them all 6
Wally's Frozen Custard in St. Clair Shores (Feb '14) Tue Classical Gas 166
We need Chuck Aug 18 WWKT1 7

Search the St. Clair Shores Forum:
•••
•••
•••

St. Clair Shores Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••