Tappahannock, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Could anyone tell me where and how to get to rock lick (wax) cemetery in st Charles. I was just up there to pick up my grandmother and tried locating it. My great grandfather is buried there and my grandparents and older are from there. They were miners back in its hay day. They moved away years ago. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Graveyard hunter

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

I have inquired as to it's where abouts now for the better part of two years now and I am stll looking. I was told to drive up Bonnie Blue and I would have to go through two gates that I would have to have keys to. My husband has family there as well. I was also told that you have to obtain a key from someone on the board here in St. Charles. I was told by the local Funeral home that it has been 20 years sence they have used the cemetary.
Information

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

If the cemetery that you are looking for is located in Rock Lick there are two ways of getting there.
1) Take Route 606 in Stone Creek heading toward Keokee until you come to the Rock Lick Church (Can't miss it as it will be a brick building sitting on a hillside to your left). Take the next left past the Church and that will put you in the heart of Rock Lick (Country road).
2) Going into St. Charles and after crossing the bridge, take the first right... this too will get you into Rock Lick.
Last time I traveled this road it was not paved (5 or 6 years ago). BTW: Bonny Blue is North of St Charles and Rock Lick is South Southeast of St. Charles. I have no idea where the Cemetery you are looking for is located, but your best bet would be to stop and ask some of the folks living around there. If that doesn't work, try the Lee County Courthouse located in Jonesville where all the records are kept. Hope this helps!
hmmm

Stanfield, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

Call Province Funeral Home. I'm sure that they will know.
JYO

Carrollton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Thanks. When I was there in oct and local got me to rock lock rd from 606. Dead end. The cemetery is definitately near st Charles. Across the bridge and right makes more sense. Thank you so much. I will be back in the spring and look then.
Information

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Somehow they must have put you on the wrong road. If you take the road past the Rock Lick Church (off of Route 606) you can drive all the way through to St. Charles or you can take the same road past the St. Charles bridge and drive all the way through to Route 606. Good luck!
More info

Pennington Gap, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

If you locate it will you please post the directions to this site. I never knew the name so thanks for posting this information.
More info

Pennington Gap, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

If you will do a google "directions to wax cemetery in saint charles, va" you will get results. A photo of the graveyard as well as a list of the people buried there is available.

The last person buried there was in 2011. I am not going to post names out of respect for her and her family. She lived in Big Branch. She had several children (Kathy, Terry, and Sandra are daughters). Province Funeral Home in Pennington Gap, VA would have been in charge of those arrangements.

If you call Province's ask to speak to Patty or Sherry. They will be able to help you. Also, Brother Sean Bailey (pastor at Rock Lick Church) might be able to help you. He is on Facebook.

Best of luck!
JYO

Carrollton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Thank you so much. I will post what I find in the spring. God bless
JYO

Carrollton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

I spelled that next last post all wrong. Lol. I did get on sand lick rd. I turned around at I'm assuming where it went back to st Charles. I did get on rock lick rd also. That dead ended. Makes sense now. Thanks. I found a graveyard on graveyard rd? Coming into st Charles. Not it tho.
More info

Pennington Gap, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

Are you referring to Graveyard Hill? I have been looking for the graves of my great great aunts.

The road you were on started at Rock Lick church and the road you traveled is Sand Lick. When you get to the steep curve that is known as Sugar Tree. If you continue on down the curvy road and pass the St. Charles First Baptist Church that is Big Branch.

I will try to find this graveyard for you and get you some good directions.

I will get back to you. We are having a cold spell so I will try to find this for you when it warms up. Please don't think I'm strange. I was taught to respect and take care of my ancestors grave sites. It is something I am passing on. When I saw your post I so hoped I would find my aunts. I will keep looking but I can help you.
JYO

Mechanicsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Graveyard hill? Up a steep short rd on the right coming into st Charles. There is a church below it. The one I'm looking for is on a mountain top or side and there is an abandoned coal mine beside it. I think I turned around on sandlick rd at a hard left hand turn that started back downhill toward st Charles. Thank you for helping. I will be back in the area in the spring.
wondering

Wise, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Wondering if you are meaning Maness cemetery?
More info

Pennington Gap, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

JYO wrote:
Graveyard hill? Up a steep short rd on the right coming into st Charles. There is a church below it. The one I'm looking for is on a mountain top or side and there is an abandoned coal mine beside it. I think I turned around on sandlick rd at a hard left hand turn that started back downhill toward st Charles. Thank you for helping. I will be back in the area in the spring.
Yes. I understand exactly where you traveled. I know who to ask to get directions. I just have to find them on facebook.

I don't know of a cemetery in Maness? Is it over the hill in Penn Lee?
More info

Pennington Gap, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

wondering wrote:
Wondering if you are meaning Maness cemetery?
Sorry I read your post wrong. Where is the Maness cemetery? Thanks.
Graveyard hunter

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

JYO are you talking about the graveyard off of Sand Lick road? I know where that one is and you have to take Rd 606 to Sand Lick and then go up Sugar Tree Holler.
JYO

Carrollton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

@ graveyard hunter, the one off of sandlick rd. Rocklick cemetery? Its old and not taking care of. Has an old mine near it. That may be the one. When my grandfather took me up there years ago, I remember parking the car at the end of some road that we got on in st. charles and had to walk the rest of the way. Let me know. Thanks!
ALPHAONEBRAVO

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

As you leave St. Charles turn left on state route 628. Go a couple miles the road turns into state rt. 720 or Sandlick road at the sharp right at the old mine entrance (or the locals call the sugar tree. Continue straight at this point and the state rt. 628 turns to gravel. Go approx. one mile or until the first road to the right. This is a deadend at the Rocklick Graveyard. It's about 1/4 mile out there. You would want to walk the last 1/4 mile. It's pretty rough out there. Go to google maps and search St. Charles and you will see the deadend road to the graveyard just off st. rt. 628.
JYO

Suffolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Thank you so much for the directions! Is it safe to get to the walking point by car or truck? I will be back up there in the spring. Haven't been there in years. Just trying to find some of my family's graves.
ALPHAONEBRAVO

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Yes, It's safe to get a car or truck to the walking point. The road has some ruts since it's not used much. We cleaned the cemetery up this past summer. It had been ignored for years.
I have family buried there as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent St. Charles Discussions

Search the St. Charles Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
What happened on the four lane 3 hr Local 1
Anna Staton 19 hr Kevin Blake 6
Holbrook could win mayors seat Tue voter degree 6
Karen pulls hair Tue I Know 1
Where is Jessica Langley or Rogers or whatever ... (Oct '13) Tue Who 11
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) Apr 19 abe 1,350
VA Missing Va. Girl Alive, Man In Custody (Dec '10) Apr 14 Jim 1,434
•••
•••
•••
•••

St. Charles Jobs

•••
•••
•••

St. Charles People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••