How do you feel about Joliet.

How do you feel about Joliet.

Posted in the St. Charles Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

“Do what makes you happy, live ”

Since: Apr 07

Joliet Illinois

#1 Apr 14, 2007
Do you as a resident feel about Joliet is being run good or bad and what would you do to change anything....

“Be True To YourEgo”

Since: Apr 07

Lockport

#2 Apr 19, 2007
Will County is as corrupt as Chicago was and in fact about 20 or so years ago (and even further out), much of the corruption migrated out of Cook County and into Will County.

Do a google search on Robert Teezak (not sure if that is spelled correctly) and "china white". Very interesting stuff.

Anyway, I have seen the manipulation first hand in this county. My precinct,#7, needs a complete overhaul of our Will County reps. They do not support he people - they look out only for themselves and their political futures and special interests. I, for one, am tired of it and I will make substantial efforts to see it change.

Please visit my blog http://whereabouts.blogster.com for more info on what I speak of. There will be more to come.

Government corruption MUST end but that must start with local people in local governemnts. Once success has been achieved locally, then we can expand to tackle state and national governments. We, the people, can take our governments back and put it in the hands of the people once again but we must be proactive and pay attention to what is happening. You can prevent anything from happneing if you are paying attention. If you do not pay attention, you will be stuck in a perpetual cycle of constantly chasing after events and being reactive which never helps anyone and is a waste of time.

Glad to see people like you involved.

Laura
Will county watcher wrote:
Do you as a resident feel about Joliet is being run good or bad and what would you do to change anything....
Glad to be gone

West Chicago, IL

#3 Apr 19, 2007
I moved out of Joliet 9 years ago and have never looked back. I live in a small town south of Joliet now. Joliet is a horrible crime ridden town. I was mugged there with my 1 year old daughter in my arms. We sent her to private school for 4 years, and when we did enroll her to public school she was BEAT UP on her first day because she white! Needless to say she was back in private school the next day. I don't even shop there or drive through there anymore- I go to Morris for everything now. We finally ended up getting of that hell hole when I showed my husbaand on the internet that in our area where we lived there were SIXTEEN registered sex offenders! I grew up in California in Oakland and Joliet is the worst place I have ever lived.
Glad I'm out of there!

“Be True To YourEgo”

Since: Apr 07

Lockport

#4 Apr 19, 2007
Wow! I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's terrible experience. What in the world is wrong with people?

Glad to hear you were able to move on to better places.[heart]
Glad to be gone wrote:
I moved out of Joliet 9 years ago and have never looked back. I live in a small town south of Joliet now. Joliet is a horrible crime ridden town. I was mugged there with my 1 year old daughter in my arms. We sent her to private school for 4 years, and when we did enroll her to public school she was BEAT UP on her first day because she white! Needless to say she was back in private school the next day. I don't even shop there or drive through there anymore- I go to Morris for everything now. We finally ended up getting of that hell hole when I showed my husbaand on the internet that in our area where we lived there were SIXTEEN registered sex offenders! I grew up in California in Oakland and Joliet is the worst place I have ever lived.
Glad I'm out of there!
Glad to be gone

West Chicago, IL

#5 Apr 19, 2007
What was even worse is because it was a magnet school- Eisenhower Acadamy. She was cornered in the bathroom by 4 girls who who would not let her into any stall. They started calling her "honky" and other things I won't repeat. She was pushed around by all of them, and they were using slang with her that she didn't understand. She asked me "Why are they calling me girlfriend? They don't act like they are my friend" and she said "They kept saying I was acting like I was their mama- I never said I was theur mama- that's silly."
And guess what> The school called ME to come and pick her up and the kids were not even sent home because they could not get a hold of their parents because they either didn't have phones or they disconnected, and in one case the mom was a drug addict. Nice. They also said it happened alot with those kids but hey- they have to accept "so many low income" students according to law.
Great.

“Be True To YourEgo”

Since: Apr 07

Lockport

#6 Apr 19, 2007
Wow, that is a shame. Well good for you that you no longer have to deal with that - good for you that you made the "choice" to not deal with that!
Glad to be gone wrote:
What was even worse is because it was a magnet school- Eisenhower Acadamy. She was cornered in the bathroom by 4 girls who who would not let her into any stall. They started calling her "honky" and other things I won't repeat. She was pushed around by all of them, and they were using slang with her that she didn't understand. She asked me "Why are they calling me girlfriend? They don't act like they are my friend" and she said "They kept saying I was acting like I was their mama- I never said I was theur mama- that's silly."
And guess what> The school called ME to come and pick her up and the kids were not even sent home because they could not get a hold of their parents because they either didn't have phones or they disconnected, and in one case the mom was a drug addict. Nice. They also said it happened alot with those kids but hey- they have to accept "so many low income" students according to law.
Great.

Since: Dec 06

Plainfield, IL

#7 Apr 23, 2007
Well, I moved into Joliet 8 years ago, and my experience has been NOTHING like yours. "Crime ridden"??! Not where I live. While I find Joliet to be rather provincial, I don't see it as a dangerous place to live.
Glad to be gone wrote:
I moved out of Joliet 9 years ago and have never looked back. I live in a small town south of Joliet now. Joliet is a horrible crime ridden town. I was mugged there with my 1 year old daughter in my arms. We sent her to private school for 4 years, and when we did enroll her to public school she was BEAT UP on her first day because she white! Needless to say she was back in private school the next day. I don't even shop there or drive through there anymore- I go to Morris for everything now. We finally ended up getting of that hell hole when I showed my husbaand on the internet that in our area where we lived there were SIXTEEN registered sex offenders! I grew up in California in Oakland and Joliet is the worst place I have ever lived.
Glad I'm out of there!

Since: Dec 06

Plainfield, IL

#8 Apr 23, 2007
So much has been made of the growth in Joliet and Will County. Local politicos proudly proclaim that we are now the third largest city in IL and well on our way to becoming the second largest. So when are we going to get some decent restaurants, shopping, and cultural activities?

“Do what makes you happy, live ”

Since: Apr 07

Joliet Illinois

#9 Apr 23, 2007
THEAprof

I have to agree with you about the decent restaurants, shopping, and cultural activities. Take a look at the crime index for will county and you might be surprised, many things in the Joliet and will county are not always reported, mostly Joliet worries about building some obscure path that is to be very rarely used while not worrying about road conditions or general repairs to Joliet's infrastructure.

If Joliet's city council would use common sense this area Joliet would look great but it's the same old thing, promises that go no where.

Since: Dec 06

Plainfield, IL

#10 Apr 23, 2007
The latest crime stats I could find for Joliet were from 2002. when the overall rate was 347.1 -- slightly higher than the US average of 325.2 I moved here from Alexandria, LA, which had a 2002 crime rate of 968.7, and my hometown of Jackson, MS, had a rate of 771.0 in 2002. And just for fun, I looked up the 2002 rate for Oakland, CA, because of the other poster's comparison, and found that it was 715.9 in 2002. So, in comparison, I don't find the crime rate to be outrageous here.

I agree the city "leadership" could be more progressive and could do a much better job of managing the rapid growth in the area.
Will county watcher wrote:
THEAprof
I have to agree with you about the decent restaurants, shopping, and cultural activities. Take a look at the crime index for will county and you might be surprised, many things in the Joliet and will county are not always reported, mostly Joliet worries about building some obscure path that is to be very rarely used while not worrying about road conditions or general repairs to Joliet's infrastructure.
If Joliet's city council would use common sense this area Joliet would look great but it's the same old thing, promises that go no where.
andy

Woodridge, IL

#11 Apr 24, 2007
joliet sucks and is corrupt
Glad to be Gone

West Chicago, IL

#12 Apr 24, 2007
I can't stand to even drive through Joliet. I hate even going to the mall. I don't feel safe there and I won't let my kids even go to the bathroom without me right there. And they are 12 and 14. I've been mugged there. I've witnessed countless crimes there. One kid was riding his bike past the church on the corner of Hennipin and RT 30 and this guy just pushed the kid off his bike and took off on it! I've seen people get their purses snatched. I was in my car at 6 corners at a red light and this guy broke out the window of the car next to me and grabbed the drivers purse off the seat!
Don't tell me that the crime rate is acceptable there.
Joliet sucks.

Since: Dec 06

Plainfield, IL

#13 Apr 24, 2007
THEN DON'T DRIVE THROUGH IT! Jeez...from your attitude, it sounds like Joliet should be glad to get rid of you.

As I said before, not only does my personal experience differ completely from yours (and I've lived her for the past 8 years), but national crime statistics illustrate that Joliet is not as bad as a lot of places.
Glad to be Gone wrote:
I can't stand to even drive through Joliet. I hate even going to the mall. I don't feel safe there and I won't let my kids even go to the bathroom without me right there. And they are 12 and 14. I've been mugged there. I've witnessed countless crimes there. One kid was riding his bike past the church on the corner of Hennipin and RT 30 and this guy just pushed the kid off his bike and took off on it! I've seen people get their purses snatched. I was in my car at 6 corners at a red light and this guy broke out the window of the car next to me and grabbed the drivers purse off the seat!
Don't tell me that the crime rate is acceptable there.
Joliet sucks.
Glad to Be Gone

West Chicago, IL

#14 Apr 25, 2007
I DON"T!
I shop in Naperville, thank you very much!
And I have never been mugged or witnessed a crime there, either.
Joliet MAY NOT be "as bad as alot places" but there are sure alot of nicer places to live too.
And maybe you have'nt had bad experiences because oviously you are a man. ALL the crimes I witnessed and experienced were against women and children.
So, I don't go to Joliet anymore!

“Be True To YourEgo”

Since: Apr 07

Lockport

#15 Apr 26, 2007
I don't think it is fair or even acceptable to compare Joliet with "national" crime statistics. Rather, compare Joliet to it's surrounding communities like New Lenox, Homer Glen, Crest Hill, Romeoville, Shorewood, etc., and see where Joliet turns up.

Joliet has improved greatly in the past twn years and now has a beautiful downtown area. There are certainly areas that would not be considered acceptable to most suburbanites.

I'd be curious to know how Joliet stands up to it's neighbors.
THEAprof wrote:
THEN DON'T DRIVE THROUGH IT! Jeez...from your attitude, it sounds like Joliet should be glad to get rid of you.
As I said before, not only does my personal experience differ completely from yours (and I've lived her for the past 8 years), but national crime statistics illustrate that Joliet is not as bad as a lot of places.
<quoted text>
Dragonfly

West Chicago, IL

#16 Apr 26, 2007
Crest Hill would probably come up worse than Joliet, then Romeoville. But the rest would be better, I think.

“Be True To YourEgo”

Since: Apr 07

Lockport

#17 Apr 26, 2007
Crime rank within county
COMMUNITY Population Crime rate
(per 1,000 residents) Total crimes
2004 2004 2003 2004 2003
1. LEMONT (partial) 1 0.0 0.0 0 0
2. MATTESON (partial) 2 0.0 0.0 0 0
3. PARK FOREST (partial) 3,381 0.0 12.8 0 43
4. COAL CITY (partial) 2 0.0 0.0 0 0
5. SAUK VILLAGE (partial) 1 0.0 0.0 0 0
6. MINOOKA (partial) 1,617 3.1 2.6 5 4
7. WILMINGTON 5,604 4.3 6.7 24 36
8. NAPERVILLE (partial) 41,879 8.7 9.2 365 374
9. ELWOOD 1,985 9.6 23.5 19 45
10. CHANNAHON (partial) 9,641 10.5 12.5 101 114
11. HOMER GLEN 24,033 10.8 9.7 259 223
12. MANHATTAN 3,818 11.0 13.3 42 49
13. ORLAND PARK (partial) 67 14.9 0.0 1 0
14. AURORA (partial) 3,628 15.2 13.0 55 44
15. WOODRIDGE (partial) 124 16.1 18.2 2 2
16. LOCKPORT 21,252 16.8 17.8 357 379
17. MOKENA 16,171 17.3 16.0 280 260
18. NEW LENOX 21,846 18.3 13.8 399 301
19. PLAINFIELD (partial) 20,636 19.5 20.1 403 415
20. PEOTONE 3,673 19.6 16.6 72 59
21. FRANKFORT (partial)+A380 13,358 19.7 19.6 263 243
22. BEECHER 2,378 21.0 19.2 50 43
23. BOLINGBROOK (partial) 65,959 21.7 22.4 1,434 1,416
24. COLLAR COUNTIES 3,004,333 23.7 24.3 69,700 69,813
25. SHOREWOOD 10,003 23.8 21.3 238 213
26. CRETE 8,313 24.1 20.6 200 167
27. ROMEOVILLE 33,861 24.3 23.8 823 807
28. MONEE 4,183 26.1 25.8 109 108
29. BRAIDWOOD 5,790 28.7 28.7 166 161
30. TINLEY PARK (partial) 5,271 29.2 18.4 154 97
31. UNIVERSITY PARK (partial) 7,653 29.4 31.8 225 223
32. STEGER (partial) 5,918 32.8 32.3 194 189
33. ROCKDALE 1,947 34.4 41.5 67 80
34. JOLIET (partial) 123,772 36.9 38.4 4,566 4,542
35. CREST HILL 15,424 41.8 32.8 644 467
IN THE KNOW

Joliet, IL

#18 May 9, 2007
Will county watcher wrote:
Do you as a resident feel about Joliet is being run good or bad and what would you do to change anything....
you should keep your eyes on "braidwood, il" search in topix look at those forums about the police....wow
andy

Woodridge, IL

#19 May 9, 2007
as usual.. the city politicos havent done much for downtown.. alot of run down empty bulidings.. lots of lawyers offices..
Kenny Rogers

West Chicago, IL

#20 May 9, 2007
IN THE KNOW wrote:
<quoted text>
you should keep your eyes on "braidwood, il" search in topix look at those forums about the police....wow
Why would anyone care what happens in Braidwood?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Charles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former U.S. House Speaker Hastert indicted on f... (May '15) Jun 24 Anal wall odor 69
News Two Sycamore teens face charges after string of... Jun 19 Hello!? 1
News Kendall board OKs - urban' chickens (Oct '10) May 31 Tamie 3
News Kane County Sheriff's Office reports May '16 Hater 1
News Suburban Chicago pastor charged with sex abuse ... Apr '16 Eric 2
Brian Nord (Jul '12) Apr '16 Linny D. 35
St Charles as a whole (Sep '15) Apr '16 Roz 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

St. Charles Mortgages