West Chicago Middle School student is beaten, and school has fe...

There are 20 comments on the May 28, 2009, Chicago Tribune story titled West Chicago Middle School student is beaten, and school has fe.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The parents of a West Chicago Middle School student are accusing school officials of mishandling an incident this week in which their 12-year-old son suffered serious injuries.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
turf doc

Crystal Lake, IL

#1 May 28, 2009
Discrimination, are you nuts! The child got beat up by a bully, I feel sorry for him, hope he gets well soon. As far as the bully goes, suspend him from school and assault charges. By the way, my wife is 100% mexican, I am not (sweden). The whole discrimination thing is crap! I do not like when people try to use that as there platform, it's crap. Anyway I hope he feels better and teach him how to fight, but do it the right way and not the bully way.
bfd

Lisle, IL

#2 May 29, 2009
Why didn't they call an ambulance? Because a few cuts and scratches aren't usually 911 calls. There is no way the nurse could have known about the brain bleed, unless they now run MRI's in the schools.

The police were called when the parents requested it.

Do the parents really think that it's the schools fault that another kid beat up their kid after school hours? Would a school nurse make the "color choice" on whether to call an ambulance if she felt it was warranted?

The parents need to get it under control, assist the school and police in finding the kid who did this and let things move on. I forecast that there will be a retaliation for this and we haven't seen the end of it.
Amy

Lombard, IL

#3 May 29, 2009
That's right....make sure to play the discrimination card. Because that's going to make this situation better.
Bill

Lisle, IL

#4 May 29, 2009
Retaliation? There should be no retaliation, except by legal authorities.
bfd

Lisle, IL

#5 May 29, 2009
Bill wrote:
Retaliation? There should be no retaliation, except by legal authorities.
I agree, but I didn't say "should", I made a prediction that they'll be unable to let the proper authorities handle this and, more likely than not, take matters into their own hands.(Did you count how many hackneyd phrases I fit in there?)

Since: May 09

Wheaton, IL

#7 May 29, 2009
The Chicago Tribune article referenced above describes an incident that occurred between two students at dismissal time outside of school on May 26. It does not appear to have been a fight, but one student was assailed by another. There are certainly more details than are described in this article, but due to ongoing investigation, and the need to protect privacy, District 33 is unable to disclose additional details.

District 33 can share the following information:
•We are first and foremost VERY concerned about the injury Isidro Velasquez sustained.
•Our NEXT concern is that he heal fully and recover very quickly.
•We are deeply grieved that this incident occurred.
•We are offering home tutoring for the last few days of school if the family wishes.
•A careful investigation is ongoing to understand why, where, and how this happened as well as outlining events that unfolded after the incident.
•We will evaluate the actions of school personnel as part of the investigation. We have not yet determined whether different actions should have occurred.
•We do not have access to any medical information about the injury.
•We do have a member of the West Chicago Police Department as a School Resource Officer on site every day, and this officer was on the scene almost immediately after it occurred.
•The West Chicago Police Department will conduct a separate investigation.
•We do have adults outside the building every day at dismissal time. Those adults kept other students from crowding.
•We cannot comment on actions, investigation, or consequences related to the other student involved.
•We will do all that is reasonable to prevent such an occurrence from ever happening again.
•The District 33 Board of Education and administration believe West Chicago Middle School is a safe place for students and staff members, and is a good place to learn and grow.

Respectfully,
Ed Leman, Ed. D.
Superintendent of Schools
West Chicago School District 33
Anonymous

Morris, IL

#8 May 29, 2009
I go to WCMS, and this is not racism in the least. In our school, which is approximately 2/3 Hispanic, there is no "true" racism. The school officials do not have any bias. If there was, then everyday only about 1/3 of the school would be tended to, while the other 1/3 is just left to be. That is completely and utterly not happening. In our school, we (the White) are actually given less attention, usually. Now I'm not saying that we (Whites) are ignored. The attention is just focused upon the majority of the school.
If the school was racist, then we would have many more problems. There are currently many problems, and we need to fix them. But the resources provided are not enough. The teachers in sixth grade (elementary in #33) are not providing enough of a transitional period for the students to learn what Middle School will be like. The freedom is loaded upon us, and we just don't know how to handle it. So there are fights at WCMS, when there are no fights in the elementary schools.
Concerning the circumstances of the fight. There are many reasons why Isidro was not taken to the hospital. The nurses tended to him immediately. I witnessed him get taken to the nurses office about 2 minutes after he was dropped. I also witnessed the police officer there 1 minute after he was dropped (taken down to the ground, VERY hard.) The nurse was unable to see any internal bleeding, as common sense would tell you. I saw Isidro, from the parking lot, and he was bloody, but that's all I was able to see. It didn't look like he needed to be taken to the hospital, of course I am not medically trained, but it didn't seem as if he did. If the nurse doesn't think she has to take a student to the hospital, why risk wasting thousands of precious dollars on a false call? If we don't have the money to pay for mistakes, why should we have to be accused of discrimination and prejudice when any white student would have received the same treatment?
anonymous

Sugar Grove, IL

#9 May 29, 2009
You are seriously blaming the fight on the elementary school teachers for not giving the students enough freedom in sixth grade. How lame!
kevin izurieta

West Chicago, IL

#10 May 29, 2009
dang i saw dat happen no joke he got knocked down
on the ground right after school...he was bleeding badly
i feel bad 4 that kid
unknown

West Chicago, IL

#11 May 29, 2009
Hey ANONYMOUS, it's your parents job to help your transition from elementary to middle school. Second, are you from West Chicago or Wood Dale. Get your story straight. Real talk.
wegomom

Glen Ellyn, IL

#12 May 30, 2009
kevin izurieta wrote:
dang i saw dat happen no joke he got knocked down
on the ground right after school...he was bleeding badly
i feel bad 4 that kid
Kevin,(and Anonymous)
If you really saw this happen, you need to talk with your parents, and maybe come forward and talk with the police. Anyone who witnessed this or other things like this needs to come forward. You could help the victim, his family, and quite possibly others that are involved.
This type of thing shouldn't happen at any school. There should be no need for police presence, kids should be taught right from wrong AT HOME. It's too bad there are so many parents that don't have a handle on their children, because THOSE are the same parents that make it impossible for schools to discipline the trouble makers. Thank your parents for raising you right.
unknown

AOL

#13 May 30, 2009
911 should have beened called and the district should not be minimizing what happened to this child! I want to know, was it certified school nurse -RN or just a health aide with a CPR card? Feel better soon Isidro!
unknown

Glen Ellyn, IL

#14 Jun 1, 2009
icwas there wen this incatent happend and none of this is true the person who did this is not responsible for this he did not mean to do any of this the 2of them were playing tap out wen isidro did it to the kid first and then the other kid did it to isidro and it is true that isidro did say tap out but he had passed out and fell so it wasnt the kids fault they were just playing around
anonymous

Aurora, IL

#15 Jun 2, 2009
Funny...the article does not state how the Friday before this incident the kid responsible for the attack beat up 3 students sending each of them to the emergency room and another child on Saturday. Even though those fights were not on school grounds the parents of the victims were in the school on Monday morning to talk with the administration about what was going to be done about this kid and find out how their children were going to be protected from him. Obviously nothing was done. The child was also supposed to have adult supervision with him at all times...where was that person? & the attacker was supposed to be on a school bus on his way home. How come he was on school grounds after school hours? Apparently the person assigned to be with him at all times was not. Why this is all coming down on the nurse I have no idea. Sounds like she was the last one to the scene. In my opinion the officer who was there "within seconds" of the incident taking place should have made the call for back up or an ambulance.
anon

Villa Park, IL

#16 Jun 2, 2009
anonymous wrote:
Funny...the article does not state how the Friday before this incident the kid responsible for the attack beat up 3 students sending each of them to the emergency room and another child on Saturday. Even though those fights were not on school grounds the parents of the victims were in the school on Monday morning to talk with the administration about what was going to be done about this kid and find out how their children were going to be protected from him. Obviously nothing was done. The child was also supposed to have adult supervision with him at all times...where was that person? & the attacker was supposed to be on a school bus on his way home. How come he was on school grounds after school hours? Apparently the person assigned to be with him at all times was not. Why this is all coming down on the nurse I have no idea. Sounds like she was the last one to the scene. In my opinion the officer who was there "within seconds" of the incident taking place should have made the call for back up or an ambulance.
Seems like you have quite a bit of inside information here...
wegomom

Glen Ellyn, IL

#17 Jun 2, 2009
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like you have quite a bit of inside information here...
I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps anon should call the papers, too.

I also have recently learned (youtube, of all places) That a lot of kids in this age range are palying a "game" going by many names, one of which is "tap out or pass out" I hope this isn't the case in this particular incident.
big lokote

Highwood, IL

#18 Jun 3, 2009
I think that the victim should kick the ather guy ass!!!!!!!!!
LA MEXICANA

Highwood, IL

#19 Jun 3, 2009
HERE WE GO AGAIN MEXICANS, LATINOS
GETING BLAME LIKE ALWAYS......... YOU WHITE PEOPLE,BLACKS,INDIANS ECT ARE NOT PERFECT EATHER
anonymous

Aurora, IL

#20 Jun 3, 2009
OMG...get over the whole racial thing already. Race has nothing to do with anything in this situation. It is such an annoying excuse already!
Shamus

Addison, IL

#21 Jun 4, 2009
LA MEXICANA wrote:
HERE WE GO AGAIN MEXICANS, LATINOS
GETING BLAME LIKE ALWAYS......... YOU WHITE PEOPLE,BLACKS,INDIANS ECT ARE NOT PERFECT EATHER
Hasta la vista cholas, go back to mexico where you belong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Charles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Officials seek seizure of dogs in Batavia anima... Apr 21 ruleoflaw 1
Review: Adams Landscaping Apr 21 Mindy 3
News Palatine Man Sentenced for Confiscating, Sellin... (Mar '14) Apr 18 cops_look_up_poo_... 3
News 107 grams of cocaine found in seam of shirt Apr 16 tim 14
pipe burst/ water damage (Jan '14) Apr 15 Dolores Brown 2
News Mexican immigrants moving back home amid sour e... (Feb '09) Apr 14 wild child 41
South Elgin is Kane County's Most Corrupt Polic... (Mar '12) Apr 14 tarabarker 33
More from around the web

St. Charles People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]