Autism rates may be higher than thought, study shows

The incidence of autism may be much higher than previously thought in the United States and elsewhere in the world, according to a rigorous, comprehensive study of the condition conducted in South Korea, researchers reported Monday. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Su Prize

Mount Laurel, NJ

#1 May 9, 2011
What "study" has ever produced a finding that indicates the problem is worse than we thought and we need further studies? Come on.

Since: Dec 08

Dover, PA

#2 May 9, 2011
At this point, it is CLEAR that autism is an increasing problem in our society. You should be aware that there is an "Autistic Spectrum" that spans a range from the totally withdrawn on one end to those with mild ADD (without hyperactivity) on the other.
Part of the reason for the increase IS better diagnosis ... but I am concerned that there are environmental factors that are also driving the increase. From what I have seen, these environmental factors include:

- reactions to vaccinations
- food allergies (including to gluten and additives)
- leaky gut syndrome

When you have a child who has one of these issues and a genetic proclivity to autism, they are pushed somewhere down the autistic spectrum.

In my case, I was never diagnosed until adulthood. I have the least severe form of autism ... ADD without hyperactivity. Other than being socially inept, making stupid mistakes on math tests, and occasionally staring out of the windows of my classrooms, I was OK. When I reached full adolescence, the increased testosterone stimulated my brain and eliminated my symptoms. Since then, I've lived a successful life. As I entered my 50's, the decreasing testosterone caused my symptoms to reappear ... but Ritalin addresses my issues nicely.

Unfortunately my son wasn't as lucky. 28 years ago, when he was 3 months old, he got a mass of shots in one pediatric visit ... that triggered a huge reaction. Needless to say, he has an Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis and will never live a normal life. He has a 160 IQ when he reads, but a 78 IQ for his verbal skills. He has a degree in Chemistry from a well respected college, but can't get past first base in a job interview!

When you see people like Dr Memmet Oz (Dr. Oz) admit that he delayed the vaccination of HIS OWN children, there is a reason for concern.

Please consider delaying vaccinations for your (grand)children. In the case of my daughter, we found a pediatrician who was willing to delay her vaccinations. She grew up without any signs of autism and is living a successful life.

I only want the best for ALL of our children!

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#3 May 9, 2011
People should base reason for concern from what Dr. Oz does? The man himself has been controversial alone but one should question why a cardiothoracic surgeon is hosting a talk show.

One should question why vaccines are given at such young ages and look no further than the dead babies in California. These diseases often result in death for infants and young children, dating back 100's of years. Consider delaying vaccines carefully, for those infants in CA had no vaccine choice at all. They died before they could be fully vaccinated.
riverman

Lancaster, PA

#4 May 9, 2011
The only reason that your seeing rates rise is cause the lowered the standards of what they call Autism not cause more kids are born that way or developing it! If you still believe that Vaccinations are causing this your an idiot! Its been proven that is doesn't cause it. Andrew Wakefield is a fraud and he was the one that got this all started. He did this study for Lawyers to get money for there clients. He falsified his findings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefield

Dover, PA

#5 May 9, 2011
Perhaps you should look in York's back yard for answers. Other than adopted kids, there is only one known occurrence of autism in the Amish community ... from a family who lived close to a coal-fired power plant and ingested significant amounts of mercury.

The Amish don't vaccinate their kids ... why isn't "big pharma" asking why they don't have autism?

Getting childhood diseases is a risk. Getting vaccinations also appears to be a risk. In my opinion, delaying vaccinations until the body is better able to handle them seems to be an acceptable middle ground!

The Wakefield incident is just a smokescreen. He was a lazy researcher who got caught! He deserves all the scorn you choose to throw at him. On the other hand, it is faulty logic to say that there is no link to vaccinations just because he fudged his numbers!

In my experience, when someone types "your an idiot" rather than "you're an idiot", they are pointing the finger of stupidity right back at themselves!
Chakey

Mount Laurel, NJ

#6 May 9, 2011
Do you think the Amish would take a kid with autism for treatment amongst the English?

Location hidden

#7 May 9, 2011
The Amish do vaccinate, but all Amish descend from about 200 18th century founders, and have a history of genetic disorders from inbreeding which increases the mortality rate among Amish children since the Amish feel it's God's will and don't seek treatment to prevent the death, so no. They wouldn't seek treatment foe a child who had autism in the general medical community.

There's always been risk of side effects to vaccines, that's never changed. One has to look atautism and only autism, not those side effects. There's more to vaccines not causing autism than Wakefield, but Wakefield was the one who decided to hold an actual press conference after the release of his study, making his study the most media attention at the time, and then more so when he was found guilty. The rest of the researchers generally do not hold self-serving press conferences.

Dover, PA

#8 May 9, 2011
Chakey wrote:
Do you think the Amish would take a kid with autism for treatment amongst the English?
There has been a significant amount of study of the Amish because their life choices make them ideal "control subjects" WRT many medical issues.

@Friend - check your facts on Amish vaccinations. They fought in the courts to preserve their rights to not vaccinate ... or for that matter participate in the social security system.

Are you trying to imply that there is ANY relationship between inbreeding and the absence of autism? If so, that's a new one to me!

Also, keep in mind that autism doesn't show at birth ... and isn't generally evident until a child starts to miss their developmental benchmarks ... typically at the 12 to 24 month age range.

I've read most, if not all, of the studies that you are alluding to WRT the relationship between vaccines and autism. What you are refusing to admit is that not finding a link does not say that there is no link ... it just wasn't found ... which is a SIGNIFICANT difference from what you are implying!

Logic like that is what left people in 1492 thinking that the Earth was flat!
shocker

York, PA

#9 May 9, 2011
I found out 12 months ago that I
am a "high functioning autistic".
Aspergers to be exact and I was 57
at the time!
Really wish I would have known 50
years ago!
FBOMBER

Winnipeg, Canada

#10 May 9, 2011

Location hidden

#11 May 9, 2011
I don't rely on Olmsted for Amish info, so no. I don't need to check facts.

The genetic info is to display that although some of the things the Amish have could require treatment, they choose not to although some do, like those who contracted Polio. The few Amish who let Olmsted in does not at all depict the whole of the Amish communities.

Autism can often show at birth, people just weren't looking for it.

Location hidden

#12 May 9, 2011
Anyone bother to read this study? The minority were severe but the majority were not, in a mainstream class. Never had special ed or mental health intervention. The criteria is the change, has nothing at all to do with vaccines.
FBOMBER

Winnipeg, Canada

#13 May 9, 2011
shocker wrote:
I found out 12 months ago that I
am a "high functioning autistic".
Aspergers to be exact and I was 57
at the time!
Really wish I would have known 50
years ago!
You're a vaccine victim to be exact.
FBOMBER

Winnipeg, Canada

#14 May 9, 2011
PSUmba friend is a know-it-all that invents facts and relies on her stubborn opinion to argue her side. She won't back up what she says and acts like a child if you insists she should.

Location hidden

#15 May 9, 2011
FBOMBER

Winnipeg, Canada

#16 May 9, 2011
FBOMBER wrote:
PSUmba friend is a know-it-all that invents facts and relies on her stubborn opinion to argue her side. She won't back up what she says and acts like a child if you insists she should.
See her last post for undeniable proof.

Location hidden

#17 May 9, 2011
"Nice job talking nonsense and manufacturing "facts". I'm never heard such garbage ever."
FBOMBER

Winnipeg, Canada

#18 May 9, 2011
friend wrote:
"Nice job talking nonsense and manufacturing "facts". I'm never heard such garbage ever."
Here's more proof. I say guilty on all counts.

Location hidden

#19 May 9, 2011
In this study, the minority were severe but the majority were not, in a mainstream class. Never had special ed or mental health intervention yet they still qualified for an autism diagnosis. The criteria is the change, has nothing at all to do with vaccines.
FBOMBER

Winnipeg, Canada

#20 May 9, 2011
friend wrote:
In this study, the minority were severe but the majority were not, in a mainstream class. Never had special ed or mental health intervention yet they still qualified for an autism diagnosis. The criteria is the change, has nothing at all to do with vaccines.
What do we know about the so-called test. There's been rumblings about tests being too inclusive. Besides, vaccines damage different people in different ways and at different levels. If the Amish are being foolish enough to vaccinate, they'll get their autistics and more. But I'm suspicious that claims the Amish are as prone to autism without being vaccinated is the typical scam used to influence public opinion, and has no proof other than "researchers say" garbage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
York City church deemed unsafe for worship (Apr '10) Dec 16 irishbasturd 67
Police: Driver found asleep behind wheel on Rt.... (Dec '10) Dec 16 COYORK 49
Police win firefighters lose Dec 16 Disgusted 1
Two charged in heroin arrest Dec 13 lady 1
York police and fire officials detail the toll ... Dec 12 Lovethelaw 2
Lost Civil War gold in Pennsylvania woods? (Mar '08) Dec 11 Nick H 23
York County Drug Task Force auction set for Friday (Nov '10) Nov 30 robin 8
Spry Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web