Cops use CELL PHONES while Driving

Cops use CELL PHONES while Driving

Posted in the Springwater Forum

COPWATCH

Leesburg, VA

#1 Jan 2, 2009
Complain to your local and state police departments eerytime you see a cop using his cell phone while driving! It's illegal!!!! And it's dangerous even for the cops!!!

http://autos.aol.com/gallery/driver-distracti...
uh huh

United States

#2 Jan 2, 2009
Maybe you should educate yourself before you complain. IF you go and complain what the police will tell you will blow your mind. Police, for one, are not required to follow the vehicle and traffic law and are held exempt in most situations... unless they hurt someone. This is because police are REQUIRED to break the vehicle and traffic law to catch speeders and respond to emergency calls. And with the wave of technologicial advancements rounding every corner and the fact that it seems that more and more people are buying radio scanners, police officers are requested by 911 dispatchers to "call in" to the center. This is because they may be getting sent to a place that has a scanner and the fact that someone has called 911 and the suspect may not know this which putting the address over the air may tip the suspect off to police response. This is very common.

COPWATCH, why don't you try and cut some slack to people who willingly put their lives on the line for you. People who may put an AED on your grandfather that may save his life, people who may come upon a car collision that you or a loved one may be involved in that requires the officer to apply first responder medical treatment too, which may save a life, people who have to go and tell a mother that her child died today, people who will say "send me" to a situation where many people are dying, people who drag you out of a burning car, people who keep you warm in the cruiser when you drove to fast in snowy conditions and hit the guide rail, people who provide the security that lets you sleep at night, noble people, willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice and will die in a puddle of mud to fight off the devil who may be trying to kill you....people who are good Americans, veterans of war, firemen, brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers.....human beings. Cut them some slack over the cell phone, they cut a lot of slack that is called discretion. And think about what people might think of you if your job was on display for the world to see almost everywhere you went.
proud ranger wife

United States

#3 Jan 8, 2009
I find it baffling that copwatch didn't feel the need to apologize after reading the last post. There is a startling epidemic in this area to hate anyone in a law-enforcement position. I'm trying to figure out if it is the way people are raised around here or if the cops have done alot to perpetuate the attitude. Everywhere you go you'll find people who have issues with authority figures, but the overwhelming anti-cop sentiment in this neck of the woods is astounding. I know every cop can have a bad day & not treat people to the best of their ability at all times....like uh huh said, they are human, but I can't understand what is causing this attitude here. I have only lived in the area for six years now, so I don't have all the background on how this has gone this far. Perhaps some of you can enlighten me. I wanna know what it's gonna take to get things back to the way they should be concerning cop relations in this area. I've said it before, there are bad cops everywhere, but the majority of them are good & the only way to weed out the bad is to call them out on their crap. Enough people write complaints about one particular individual, he/she will eventually be booted out. Again, be careful of your scrutiny..everyone has bad days & doesn't always handle things the best way. But continual harrassing behavior from one individual gives cause for a write-up. Something's gotta give..I think this is a huge epidemic in this area, somethings has to change.

Since: Jun 07

Wayland, NY

#4 Jan 9, 2009
I agree with CopWatch to an extent. Yes, the VTL does exempt law enforcement officers from many laws that we, as regular drivers, must follow. But, they should not violate those laws unless they are on a call that requires it.

Police officers are exempt from the cell phone regulation, but they should be cognizant of the fact that, as public servants and figures of authority, they are watched constantly and should be setting an example for regular citizens. What these officers should be doing is using a hands-free phone system whenever possible. This is not only to set an example but for their own safety. They already have an array of communications devices in their cars, from mobile data terminals to radios, not to mention having to watch their mirrors and keep an eye on the radar detector. Regardless of their training, they have more distractions than most regular drivers and they should use technology whenever possible to improve their own safety.

My biggest complaint is when I see a police officer violating a law when they are obviously not responding to call. Like when they are holding a cell phone to their ear and sitting in a relaxed posture and laughing while driving. Or, how about the officers that speed past cars on the highway, without their emergency lights on just to pull into the next turnaround and set up another speed trap.

I know a lot of the local officers and most are good people. Most of them do not break laws needlessly, but the few that do, throughout the region, give the entire law enforcement community a bad reputation.
McKinney

Pittsford, NY

#5 Jan 12, 2009
YEP and girls show their breasts in New Orleans. Couldnt do it in any other state or town but its just the way it is.
~PEACE~
mr_gadget

Geneseo, NY

#6 Dec 3, 2009
adam hates cops
GoGo GaGa

Niagara University, NY

#7 May 5, 2010
Women can show their breasts anywhere in NYS.
Xxxx

Gouverneur, NY

#8 Jun 22, 2013
GoGo GaGa wrote:
Women can show their breasts anywhere in NYS.
Ok
jimmy

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Jun 25, 2013
Moron! Emergency personnel are exempt!!! Haha! Educate yourself!
Average joe

Concord, CA

#10 Sep 4, 2013
uh huh wrote:
Maybe you should educate yourself before you complain. IF you go and complain what the police will tell you will blow your mind. Police, for one, are not required to follow the vehicle and traffic law and are held exempt in most situations... unless they hurt someone. This is because police are REQUIRED to break the vehicle and traffic law to catch speeders and respond to emergency calls. And with the wave of technologicial advancements rounding every corner and the fact that it seems that more and more people are buying radio scanners, police officers are requested by 911 dispatchers to "call in" to the center. This is because they may be getting sent to a place that has a scanner and the fact that someone has called 911 and the suspect may not know this which putting the address over the air may tip the suspect off to police response. This is very common.
COPWATCH, why don't you try and cut some slack to people who willingly put their lives on the line for you. People who may put an AED on your grandfather that may save his life, people who may come upon a car collision that you or a loved one may be involved in that requires the officer to apply first responder medical treatment too, which may save a life, people who have to go and tell a mother that her child died today, people who will say "send me" to a situation where many people are dying, people who drag you out of a burning car, people who keep you warm in the cruiser when you drove to fast in snowy conditions and hit the guide rail, people who provide the security that lets you sleep at night, noble people, willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice and will die in a puddle of mud to fight off the devil who may be trying to kill you....people who are good Americans, veterans of war, firemen, brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers.....human beings. Cut them some slack over the cell phone, they cut a lot of slack that is called discretion. And think about what people might think of you if your job was on display for the world to see almost everywhere you went.
You sir are as much a piece of shit as MOST cops around. I'm sorry but when was the last time a police officer saved ur life or anyone you know? None hav saved my life ever . no one I hav ever met or myself hav any reason to be grateful for a pig. They r always there when u don't want them and never there when you need em. There's a reason people love firemen and HATE pigs. Bcuz firemen save lives pigs jst make them harder. And let me say this again becuz most people probly feel the same way. No one owes their lives to a pig. The aren't out there risking there lives for us . The only reason they r risking there live is for a pay check becuz they r worthless doing anything else besides be an asshole. Ps if u r a cop jst know EVERYBODY HATES YOU
Average joe

Concord, CA

#11 Sep 4, 2013
You sir are as much a piece of shit as MOST cops around. I'm sorry but when was the last time a police officer saved ur life or anyone you know? None hav saved my life ever . no one I hav ever met or myself hav any reason to be grateful for a pig. They r always there when u don't want them and never there when you need em. There's a reason people love firemen and HATE pigs. Bcuz firemen save lives pigs jst make them harder. And let me say this again becuz most people probly feel the same way. No one owes their lives to a pig. The aren't out there risking there lives for us . The only reason they r risking there live is for a pay check becuz they r worthless doing anything else besides be an asshole. Ps if u r a cop jst know EVERYBODY HATES YOU
avid copwatcher

Rochester, NY

#12 Sep 20, 2013
uh huh wrote:
uh huh, you need to educate yourself on the nys vehicle traffic and safety laws. Police officers, fire fighters, medical personnel have to abide by the same exact laws that civilian drivers have to abide by. An emergency vehicle is not considered an emergency vehicle unless responding to an emergency. Cell phone use and texting while driving was made a violation for a reason. Nobody and I mean nobody is exempt from these laws. A police officer can be distracted just as easily as you me or anyone else and possibly cause a fatal accident. As far as commending them for the job they do, I give them the up most respect for the job they do. And they should be proud. But as a tax payer I pay them to serve and protect. Not be careless and possibly take a life! Remember badges don't grant extra rights!
FormerDansvilleR esident

Buffalo, NY

#13 Oct 21, 2013
Had a police officer save my life once. I am very greatful.
Denise

New York, NY

#14 Mar 13, 2014
I used to respect police until I got in accident and it answered all their questions honestly and they turned around and lied on the police report not once but 4 times!! Now I have 3 charges..... Where is the justice in that? Livingston county all the sudden are making the law enforcers to earn their pay, which in return makes them feel the need to railroad people who are good law abiding citizens that make an error and take responsibility for it. Go after the real repeating offenders that do real crimes. I have never had a driving infraction in all the yrs I've driven and feel I was treated unfairly. I have no respect for. The officers of Dansville or Livingston county.... They never showed me any!
Denise

Bronx, NY

#15 Mar 25, 2014
proud ranger wife wrote:
I find it baffling that copwatch didn't feel the need to apologize after reading the last post. There is a startling epidemic in this area to hate anyone in a law-enforcement position. I'm trying to figure out if it is the way people are raised around here or if the cops have done alot to perpetuate the attitude. Everywhere you go you'll find people who have issues with authority figures, but the overwhelming anti-cop sentiment in this neck of the woods is astounding. I know every cop can have a bad day & not treat people to the best of their ability at all times....like uh huh said, they are human, but I can't understand what is causing this attitude here. I have only lived in the area for six years now, so I don't have all the background on how this has gone this far. Perhaps some of you can enlighten me. I wanna know what it's gonna take to get things back to the way they should be concerning cop relations in this area. I've said it before, there are bad cops everywhere, but the majority of them are good & the only way to weed out the bad is to call them out on their crap. Enough people write complaints about one particular individual, he/she will eventually be booted out. Again, be careful of your scrutiny..everyone has bad days & doesn't always handle things the best way. But continual harrassing behavior from one individual gives cause for a write-up. Something's gotta give..I think this is a huge epidemic in this area, somethings has to change.
. Maybe because, as they did with me, a traffic first offender, got a report written up that stated at least 7 lies- one saying I was arrested when I wasn't... And the officer was a complete JERK, to put it nicely! I have no record and them seeing that, said it was about time I got caught!!! That is more then a bad day, that is just plainly being an ass! The cops around here are out of control and with you being a relative of one, of course you think they good and just have " bad" days..... Step in the shoes of someone stopped by one of these officers and you will change your mind real fast!
GetOverIt

Canandaigua, NY

#16 Jul 1, 2014
It's the person themselves, not the fact that they are a cop. Some abuse their power, some are disrespectful, rude, arrogant and lazy. But some are really good people who are willing to go out of their way to help.
I witnessed a cop in Dansville beat a woman without provocation causing her perminant damage and requiring many surgeries and she never fraught back, a cop in cohocton cover up his friends DWIs, and in bath that pull over people doing the speed limit, lying to meet their quota.
But at the same time I've met several cops that are so nice, have cut people breaks when they really needed it and have gone out of their way to help those in need.
I know people who would not have their lives without them, and people who have lost their lives due to them. And saying all cops are bad or are pigs is like saying all black people are drug addicts or gang bangers. There will always be good ones and bad ones. Maybe cops are jerks to you because you're jerks to them, just saying.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springwater Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Coach May 22 DMB Fan 3
looking for fun May 14 brad 1
Village gas mart Apr '15 funny guy 2
Election Who do you support for State Senator in New Yor... (Oct '10) Nov '14 I voted Zornow 3
spring water is better than others! (Dec '12) Mar '14 EricDallas 4
George Zimmerman back on trial (Sep '13) Sep '13 Charise Clutts 1
News Licensed practical nurse charged with under dos... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Nurse_Betty 1
More from around the web

Springwater People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]