Sanders pushes health reform

Urging Vermonters to continue the push for single-payer health care, U.S. Sen. Bernard Sanders vowed to continue the fight on Capitol Hill if the state continues to move in the right direction. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jway

Florence, AL

#22 Aug 2, 2010
Franklin Maker wrote:
If your goal in life is to sit home on your **** and push out kids I should not have to foot the bill for you. If you want to live a life style that puts you at risk of living an unhealthy life , unprotected sex with multiple partners, drugs, smoking etc.. why should anybody else pay for your personal choices , were not telling you no you canít live your life the way you want we just donít want to pay for it. It is hard enough to pay for our own lives. Your Freedom to be you is the same Freedom that allows me to be free from you.
You will get my vote anytime.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#23 Aug 2, 2010
I don't live for money.
brk

Springfield, MA

#24 Aug 2, 2010
those who portend to "not care" about money/capitalism, will care when their golden goose dries up. all the idiotic commie experiments being cranked out of DC right now are doomed without the evil capitalists to fund them. such complete stupidity. and these very same experiments have been proven, over and over again to fail. but they are like a religion to the lefty. even while they are failing before our very eyes, in every "achievement" obama enacts. hopefully, with a landslide electoral correction this fall, we can begin to put the pieces together and save our country from complete bankruptcy.
stanleystanley

Brattleboro, VT

#25 Aug 3, 2010
are you alive wrote:
I like how your answer isn't "but I don't live for capitalism!" Because you do. If you weren't able to make money and get more more more, you wouldn't know WHAT to do with yourself. It's not your fault, it's all you know.
I don't live for capitalism. I do live for the concept of freedom. But there is no question that captialism/freedom is better for you and better for me. I promote capitalism for you as well as for me. Capitaliam is best because it is the product of freedom. I live for all the reasons we live, family, friends, faith. Taking personal responsibility for myself and my family and contributing to my community is what I do and I believe that the best system for all of us to do that and to thrive is our present system. If you are not taking full responsibility for yourself and aren't a fully contributing memeber of our community then you are letting us all down. Don't assume anything about me because you don't know me. Making money is but a part of a larger obligation to society that we are all able to thrive. We have a responsibility to make money but it isn't about the money it is about being responsible for ourselves and not being a burden on society. The capitalist system that you think is so bad is not perfect but it is the best system in the history of the world.

I doubt that you are any different but I will give you a chance to explain how. What do you live for? What system is better than the one we live in now?

Location hidden

#26 Aug 3, 2010
stanleystanley wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't live for capitalism. I do live for the concept of freedom. But there is no question that captialism/freedom is better for you and better for me. I promote capitalism for you as well as for me. Capitaliam is best because it is the product of freedom. I live for all the reasons we live, family, friends, faith. Taking personal responsibility for myself and my family and contributing to my community is what I do and I believe that the best system for all of us to do that and to thrive is our present system. If you are not taking full responsibility for yourself and aren't a fully contributing memeber of our community then you are letting us all down. Don't assume anything about me because you don't know me. Making money is but a part of a larger obligation to society that we are all able to thrive. We have a responsibility to make money but it isn't about the money it is about being responsible for ourselves and not being a burden on society. The capitalist system that you think is so bad is not perfect but it is the best system in the history of the world.
I doubt that you are any different but I will give you a chance to explain how. What do you live for? What system is better than the one we live in now?
If you live to be free, then I can respect that. Making money is unfortunately a necessity, but we as a society have made it the sole focus and goal of our lives, it's what drives most people. That is just sad. People just cannot take it out of the picture, they cant even imagine a scenario that doesn't include it. I like to ask people, what would you do if you didn't have to make money? Would you have an identity? Who would you be? Why can't you do that now?
I don't have a solution for what system would work. But the one we have now certainly fails.
estanson

Bellows Falls, VT

#27 Aug 3, 2010
are you alive wrote:
<quoted text>
If you live to be free, then I can respect that. Making money is unfortunately a necessity, but we as a society have made it the sole focus and goal of our lives, it's what drives most people. That is just sad. People just cannot take it out of the picture, they cant even imagine a scenario that doesn't include it. I like to ask people, what would you do if you didn't have to make money? Would you have an identity? Who would you be? Why can't you do that now?
I don't have a solution for what system would work. But the one we have now certainly fails.
either work for money or get out there and level some cheap land, build a house and grow your food...
either way, you are defined by your need to survive...
either way, get to work...
stanleystanley

Brattleboro, VT

#28 Aug 3, 2010
are you alive wrote:
<quoted text>
And what do they answer with? "Are you nuts". Is it sad that we have to breath? Is it sad we have to eat? To say that it is sad that we have a system where we focus on money as the currency of survival is denying reality. If it wasn't money it would be something else. Your analysis is based on a false premise which I think just spins around in your own mind and that is the premise that there is in fact some other way of doing it. But then you already said that.

It is too bad you feel so awful about having to work to earn money to survive. You should complain to your parents about having had you. The reality of survival puts pressure on you to be responsible and take care of yourself. I've got an idea. Why don't you just go win the lottery and then you won't have to work. Or maybe just inherit some money.

You can also choose to do without most of the stuff that is offered for us. Live like a a pauper and on the dole. Then you wouldn't be dominated about thoughts of money. No laptop. No cell phone. No IPod. No Car. Or are you suggesting it is too bad you have to think about money but still want to "have" all those things anyway.

As for me I like working and would work even if I was wealthy and didn't have to.
stanleystanley

Brattleboro, VT

#29 Aug 3, 2010
are you alive wrote:
<quoted text>
And I don't think we live in a society where it is our sole focus. It may be for some people but not for most. If it was for most people then they would make a lot different choices than they are right now. Like getting serious about their educations. About showing up for work. Like cutting down on their drinking. Like saving money instead of spending it on junk. Seems to me when you think about it we would all be a lot better off if in fact money was more of a focus for people not less.
brk

Springfield, MA

#30 Aug 4, 2010
jway wrote:
<quoted text>Did you mean Deane boy he and barney came up from NY with the hippie movement.
yes, little man dean legislated away most of the health insurance availability during his reign. nice job dr dean.
Jeff Phillips

Danby, VT

#31 Aug 5, 2010
are you alive wrote:
You must open your eyes. You are so wrong in your opinion that money drives our lives. Yes many do see money as their god, but those are still in a minority in this country.

I have lived in other states and the people I've met want to be comfortable. There's nothing wrong with that. A home, a reliable car, food on the table, and friends and family.

But what's wrong with wanting wealth? Nobody ever got a job from a poor person. Vermont is one of the states with the highest amount of self employed people. They're not rich by any means. But many are happy. Many are self employed because they found a way to make money doing what they love to do. That's a win-win situation if there ever was one.

I don't know of any country where the people don't need to make money. Sometimes that "money" is goatskins, or camels. But it's a system where that is considered "money".

You consider capitalism a failure. Not even close! Capitalism has given the world the greatest standard of living in history. You are using one of the greatest examples of capitalism right now. The internet. No government controls at all. A classic case where government stayed out of the way and an information explosion occured. And millions of people made..... MONEY in the process.

Heck, even Communist China, one of the most brutal governments in the world, has embraced capitalism. They found out the people can actually make money and feed themselves.

Failure? Not even close.

Location hidden

#32 Aug 5, 2010
Why are you all so defensive?
stanleystanley

Brattleboro, VT

#33 Aug 5, 2010
are you alive wrote:
Why are you all so defensive?
I'm not defensive. Just telling it like it is. I don't really care what you think when you are so wrong about things. I thought the whole purpose of posting on a comment forum like this was to generate a response or at least to have someone else consider our point of view. Why do we have to be called "defensive" just because we respond to your posts. We just like passing our information to people who need a little help figuring it out. We were a little fuzzy in our thinking when we were young like you. As time went on for me I became much more aware of just how good Americans have it despite all the complaining that goes on. We have the most comfortable life style in the history of the world and sometimes it does us good to reflect on that fact and to reflect on how many amongst us have no appreciation of that fact.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two arraigned in I-91 heroin bust Dec 21 March Winds 8
Former BF man in hot water for prison letters Dec 19 MRC 2
why does brenda darling get away selling her pa... (Mar '09) Dec 18 thisisnotright 286
Middlebury College Heating plant (Sep '12) Nov '14 shill 3
Gay Couple Sues Vt. Town for 10 Years of Allege... (Mar '14) Oct '14 blasterboy1984 27
Star Fleet Oct '14 Driver 1
Addison INDEPENDENT Touts Anti-American Religio... Sep '14 Paul Revere 3

Springfield News Video

Springfield Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Springfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Springfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springfield

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]