Mass. towns challenge new rail plans

Mass. towns challenge new rail plans

There are 5 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Jun 15, 2009, titled Mass. towns challenge new rail plans. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

Two Massachusetts towns hope to hang on to their passenger rail service, despite plans to reroute an Amtrak train from their stations.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

Vermonter - not Cornish

Bellows Falls, VT

#1 Jun 15, 2009
This is a Vermont-subsidized train to get people to and from Vermont. Getting rid of that extra 50 minutes of travel time will make the train much more successful at what we're paying it to do. Unless Amherst and Palmer want to contribute millions in annual subsidies from their own budgets, they shouldn't even get a seat at the table on this.
Philly traveller

Brattleboro, VT

#2 Jun 15, 2009
I agree w/the last comment - I have been taking the Vermonter back and forth to Philadelphia nearly weekly for over a year and have to agree - shaving 50 minutes off the trip to NYC would be GREAT. I have never seen more than 2 or 3 folks get off at Amherst and the train just changes direction in Palmer, you can't get on or off there. If there is any hope of creating "commuter service" on this line - it would be certainly be better served to follow the proposed route.
Joe

Chester, VT

#3 Jun 15, 2009
fight change even if it's for the overall greater good, can't make improvements for the majority because it might just affect 1 person in a negitive way so everyone should just grin and put up with an inefficant system.
Eirik84

AOL

#4 Jun 15, 2009
I can recall actually using the train to go from Amherst to Springfield several years ago. It travelled to Palmer at an incredibly slow pace. Average speed for the journey must have been in the low 20s. Running over the main line from Palmer to Springfield was a lot faster, of course. Having trains over two routes would not be a bad idea, and a connection to Boston would be of great value. Once the old valley line is repaired it would be a good idea to run more than one train a day, a rail line is much more useful if it has trains more than one time each day. Many more types of trips are then possible.
flat lander

United States

#5 Jun 15, 2009
there going to cut corners but this train still stops at hooter ville and green acres. they have tried almost every thing to help ridership but maybe punching you tickets and fluffing yourpillow by some "hooters"restaurant may help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Habitual offender gets 15-24 months in jail (Aug '09) Jun 14 Light For All 8
News Vermont State Police searching for escaped sex ... Jun 14 Elmer 5
News Corrections Officer accused of sending nude pic... (Feb '14) May '16 Cheddar Cheese 4
News Two arraigned in I-91 heroin bust (Oct '14) May '16 Anonymous 9
Cory Oldroyd Mareiot Motel L op ser Apr '16 Marriott 1
Middlebury VT Marriott married man having affair Jan '16 Disgusting 1
News Driving the gauntlet Town along Route 4 collect... (Nov '09) Jan '16 Notgoingfast 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springfield Mortgages