Letter box

There are 5 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Oct 30, 2010, titled Letter box. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

As we get closer to the election, it seems that some politicians will say almost anything to get elected.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

Bill in BF

Burlington, VT

#1 Oct 30, 2010
All that one has to do regarding the governors race is listen to the campaign ads. REALLY Listen to who is on the attack all the time . Shumlin. I think the
the term "most ethically challenged " is absolutely true .
Brattleboro Voter

Dover, NH

#2 Oct 30, 2010
I have to speak up about the State's Attorney's race, to clear up some misconceptions about how the criminal justice system actually works.

Gwen Harris has gone door-to-door promising jail sentences, high bail, and civil forfeiture of cars. Sounds good. However, what she's not telling voters is that THE JUDGE decides what sentences will be imposed. THE JUDGE decides what bail or conditions of release are appropriate. She doesn't explain the extraordinary resources required to forfeit cars.

Harris doesn't tell voters that bail is only used to assure a person's appearance in court - not to lock people up before they've been found guilty; not to punish people for violating conditions of release. The promises Harris makes are empty.

Tracy Shriver is a thoughtful, ethical prosecutor whose goal is to seek justice - on a case-by-case basis. Rather than relying on voters' fears for votes, she's been busy doing her job: holding offenders accountable and keeping Windham County safe.

Vote for State's Attorney Shriver on November 2nd.
BF for Shriver

Bellows Falls, VT

#4 Oct 31, 2010
Shriver's got my vote.
Shriver supporter

Wallingford, VT

#5 Oct 31, 2010
Ditto from Rockingham!
Stanley

Dover, NH

#6 Oct 31, 2010
Gwen Harris cooked her goose when she defended that murderer. Not that she defended her but that she did such an awful job. I hope they never paid her legal fees for that one.

Shriver is a liberal democrat and that alone calls into question her judgment but the fact is she does a good job of marshalling her deputies and the office does a pretty good job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
War news and what it may mean for Vermont and o... Sep '17 Back East Again 1
Middlebury College Heating plant (Sep '12) Jun '17 EngineeringIdiot 5
News Police roundup (Aug '09) May '17 Ripflatlander 5
Hallmark Job Opportunity in Middlebury (May '17) May '17 VictorOrians 1
News Two arraigned in I-91 heroin bust (Oct '14) Mar '17 DEPUTY DOG 19
News Springfield man accused of fatally stabbing gir... (Mar '17) Mar '17 THE NEW ROAD 1
Middlebury College parties (Apr '14) Mar '17 dong 2

Springfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springfield Mortgages