County activists hit the road to clos...

County activists hit the road to close Vermont Yankee

There are 67 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Dec 29, 2009, titled County activists hit the road to close Vermont Yankee. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

A coalition of anti-nuclear activists from Windham County are participating in a 126-mile walk from Brattleboro to Montpelier in an effort to block the re-licensing of the state's only nuclear plant.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Anon

Germany

#61 Jan 2, 2010
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>

They live off the government spending.
I love my government assistance, which I spend on marijuana while I'm on vacation in Europe. Then I get to come home to a cozy house full of food, thanks to heating assistance and food stamps. Luckily I don't have any health insurance bills to pay, since mine is FREE! I don't even need a job.
flat lander

United States

#62 Jan 3, 2010
Welfare is a trust fund and keep spitting out those deductions for the future trust fund
Guess Who

Westland, MI

#63 Jan 3, 2010
Right Wing Extremist wrote:
Hi, Right Wing Extremist here,
I just get so horny for anti-nuke stories I can't pretend that I am nothing less than a SPINELESS COWARD who won't give my real name because I like to hide behind a keyboard. Good thing nobody knows that I'm a SPINELESS COWARD, much like all my right-wing coward friends.
Type on RWE, I like your thinking..........
scott huminski

Gilbert, AZ

#64 Jan 16, 2010
mike has the reformer censored the elrick story
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#65 Jan 19, 2010
Censored is such a harsh word... a group like the police are so cohesive and restrictive of information...with the policies of the police academy...I just think the media is having a hard time cracking the story. I don’t think they know what is going on in there...the story is not available....versus they know the story and not reporting it.
Exodus

Brattleboro, VT

#66 Jan 19, 2010
"The limitation of riots, moral questions aside, is that they cannot win and their participants know it. Hence, rioting is not revolutionary but reactionary because it invites defeat. It involves an emotional catharsis, but it must be followed by a sense of futility."
Martin Luther King, Jr., The Trumpet of Conscience, 1967
Flatlanders opion

Chester, VT

#67 Jan 26, 2010
I just moved here from Long Island. Back in the '70, LI had the makings of a nuclear power plant. COST? in the MILLIONS, Millions over budget.In 1970's dollars.
Many dubious building flaws, many pay-offs and under the table deals. Lots of thefts of material, etc. Pol used scare tactics to get it discommissioned. Several got elected on that scare basis. "elect me and I will close the plant"!
It was almost on line.. almost..
and it was turned off, after having spent all that money! And 30 yrs later, it just sits. No one seems to know what to do with the wastes or the building or the land as it is all unusable. And it is waterfront land! The town,Shoreham reaped huge benifets on r e taxes from the power company. Well, now it is not operating and the power company wanted the re tax money back! Well who paid for that? the whole Island did pay and is still paying 30 yrs later. Will continue to pay for the next milineum! So what do all those who want to close plant see as a replacement? What is going to happen to the land? to the nuclear wastes?
There has to be a plan for the future handling of this and any other plants that come are built.
Some one said there was contanimation in a stream, do I believe it? no. That was one of the scare tactics used on LI and it was later proven false!
So millions and millions of dolalrs were WASTED.
Money that could have gone to do much much more in the betterment of a developing Long Island.
Wasted.
Think hard and long Vermont...not just a knew jerk reaction
IMHO
Flatlander who wants to enjoy the beauty of VT!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Habitual offender gets 15-24 months in jail (Aug '09) Jun 14 Light For All 8
News Vermont State Police searching for escaped sex ... Jun 14 Elmer 5
News Corrections Officer accused of sending nude pic... (Feb '14) May '16 Cheddar Cheese 4
News Two arraigned in I-91 heroin bust (Oct '14) May '16 Anonymous 9
Cory Oldroyd Mareiot Motel L op ser Apr '16 Marriott 1
Middlebury VT Marriott married man having affair Jan '16 Disgusting 1
News Driving the gauntlet Town along Route 4 collect... (Nov '09) Jan '16 Notgoingfast 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springfield Mortgages