County activists hit the road to close Vermont Yankee

A coalition of anti-nuclear activists from Windham County are participating in a 126-mile walk from Brattleboro to Montpelier in an effort to block the re-licensing of the state's only nuclear plant. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
flat lander

United States

#1 Dec 30, 2009
These are the ones we should listen to for advise and opinions. they are some of the brightest minds of that coalition. Let's walk to Montpelier in the "dead" of winter on the side of the busy truck route of route 5 and more deadly route 14 to prove their point of stupidity and purpose in life. This will prove to be Vermont's answer to that famous "baton march of japan". Just another example of the flakes of dandruff. If there's one there are more to fallow and and listen to the Pied Piper blowing "smoke" up their minds of mush. THE BEST IS THE END when they meet the MASTER PIED PIPER SHUMMY.
Come on

Brattleboro, VT

#2 Dec 30, 2009
"A lively debate .. is already planned for the Putney Community Center on the first night of the trip.."

I'm kind of interested to know how a one-sided discussion on closing VY qualifies as a "debate."
Tamarac

Lewiston, ME

#3 Dec 30, 2009
12 people marching on Montpelier.... perhaps 40 joining them along the way.....temeperatures in the teens.....rain in the forcast....I have studied many proteters and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.
Wally

Tampa, FL

#4 Dec 30, 2009
Lets see, 1600 people want to shut the plant down including a couple that moved to Brattleboro after failing to shut down Oyster Creek. Really sounds like a huge majority of people want the plant to shut down in 2012. Where are the competing electrical generators? Has anyone started importing all the cows that will be necessary to keep the lights on using COW POWER?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#5 Dec 30, 2009
Wally wrote:
Lets see, 1600 people want to shut the plant down including a couple that moved to Brattleboro after failing to shut down Oyster Creek. Really sounds like a huge majority of people want the plant to shut down in 2012. Where are the competing electrical generators? Has anyone started importing all the cows that will be necessary to keep the lights on using COW POWER?
As an environmentalist as well as a proponent of nuclear power, I'm in favor of not granting Entergy (or whatever spinoff they attempt to create) license to operate past 2012. Entergy has shown outright indifference to the local community, as well as an obvious attempt to limit its corporate exposure to the inevitable eventual shutdown of the plant in favor of risking exposure to the taxpayers.

I say screw 'em, unless they change their tune. We'll buy dirtier energy from the grid.

Location hidden

#6 Dec 30, 2009
Also, I think the "Anti-Nuclear Activists" are all morons. All of them. No exceptions.
Alice Dark

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Dec 30, 2009
This is a one-sided story told almost entirely from the anti point of view: a large dose of bias.

Now for a bit of JM 101:
"Afterwards" is not a word.
"they plan on presenting legislators" Make this sentence active "they plan to present legislators"
Paul Halbur

Henderson, NC

#8 Dec 30, 2009
Until the folks protesting against Vermont Yankee provide a solution to the energy needs of Vermont, and its' neighbors, stay home and keep thinking about it! Safe and reliable, I can live with that. Do any of these protestors have a solution for the potential job losses, or the loss in tax revenue. I run a business...when my staff members come to me with a grioe and no suggested solution, I tell them to get back to work until they have a solution!
flat lander

United States

#9 Dec 30, 2009
WHOOPS PAUL SAY WHAT you want intelligent thinking from that crowd of morons. There are two kinds of nuke nuts and fruit
flat lander

United States

#10 Dec 30, 2009
You got to love that headline "ACTIVISTS HIT THE ROAD" how many will with the ice and traffic
TNB

Memphis, TN

#11 Dec 30, 2009
How is this even news worthy? Whoops, I forgot again, its the REFORMER!
Right Wing Extremist

Springfield, MA

#12 Dec 30, 2009
"Activists" aka the Reformer's favorite little, irrelevant bunch of enviro-wackos.
Always happy to share their meaningless drivel on a slow news day.
Right Wing Extremist

Springfield, MA

#13 Dec 30, 2009
Hey Chris how about a daily report on the devastation and homelessness to be brought on if this bunch of idiots gets their way? Lets have a little balance Chris!
Fake-Rob Williams

United States

#14 Dec 30, 2009
Oof! Go! A lot of anger! Let's hear it, boys!

But in the meanwhile, I, for one, am not particularly feeling like shouting. You see, I've had some troubing end-of-year thoughts that apply to the re-licensing issue. And, of course, I've prayed about them. Please see "Troubling End-of-Year Thoughts" at http://fakerobwilliams.blogspot.com/2009/12/t...
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#15 Dec 30, 2009
That forgot me?
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#16 Dec 30, 2009
They forgot me?
Tamarac

Lewiston, ME

#17 Dec 30, 2009
Ben Long wrote:
<quoted text>
As an environmentalist as well as a proponent of nuclear power, I'm in favor of not granting Entergy (or whatever spinoff they attempt to create) license to operate past 2012. Entergy has shown outright indifference to the local community, as well as an obvious attempt to limit its corporate exposure to the inevitable eventual shutdown of the plant in favor of risking exposure to the taxpayers.
I say screw 'em, unless they change their tune. We'll buy dirtier energy from the grid.
Offere presented to the state's utility reg is at a cost that would average well below the wholesale market price for electricity in VT. Currently, the state's two largest utilities, CVPS and BMP buy approx 280 megawatts (45% VY output) under a contract that also includes a 10-yr revenue sharing agreement. The offer submitted involves a total of 115 mw and would replace the utilities' current 10-yr revenue sharing provision with an overall KW-hr rate that would provide more value to the state's consumers. In fact, the offer is projected to be worth more than twice as much as the replaced value of the revenue sharing provision, about $500 million compared to $225 million respectively. An additional $150 million of consumer value would be realized if CVPS and GMP participate ina separate 10-yr revenure sharing agreement with the plants previous owner, VYNPC. The starting base rate for the first year (2012) would be 6.1 cents per KW-hr and would be adjusted each year based on consideration of several economic indices previously approved by VT regulators....
Shall I go on or are you done spreading misinformation Ben?

Location hidden

#18 Dec 30, 2009
Tamarac wrote:
<quoted text>
Offere presented to the state's utility reg is at a cost that would average well below the wholesale market price for electricity in VT. Currently, the state's two largest utilities, CVPS and BMP buy approx 280 megawatts (45% VY output) under a contract that also includes a 10-yr revenue sharing agreement. The offer submitted involves a total of 115 mw and would replace the utilities' current 10-yr revenue sharing provision with an overall KW-hr rate that would provide more value to the state's consumers. In fact, the offer is projected to be worth more than twice as much as the replaced value of the revenue sharing provision, about $500 million compared to $225 million respectively. An additional $150 million of consumer value would be realized if CVPS and GMP participate ina separate 10-yr revenure sharing agreement with the plants previous owner, VYNPC. The starting base rate for the first year (2012) would be 6.1 cents per KW-hr and would be adjusted each year based on consideration of several economic indices previously approved by VT regulators....
Shall I go on or are you done spreading misinformation Ben?
I'm interested in having a power plant run by a company that I feel will be responsible for the eventual de-commissioning of the plant - not a company that is actively seeking to shelter itself from exposure to the costs associated with de-commissioning, via "Enexus".

The "deal" offered by the not-yet-existent spin-off company includes less power, a rate increase (above market value), and does not include any provisions to substantially increase the value of the de-commissioning fund.
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#19 Dec 30, 2009
They want you to drive a 1972 Saab Sonnet but make you pay for a new Cadillac Escalade.

Location hidden

#20 Dec 30, 2009
Mike Mulligan wrote:
They want you to drive a 1972 Saab Sonnet but make you pay for a new Cadillac Escalade.
I effing hate it when I agree with you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Addison INDEPENDENT Touts Anti-American Religio... Sep 5 Paul Revere 3
PSB halts Vermont Gas pipeline project along VE... Jul '14 Mary Gerdt 1
Gay Couple Sues Vt. Town for 10 Years of Allege... (Mar '14) Jun '14 Truth Hurts 19
Vermont legislators hear of child protection co... Jun '14 Truth Hurts 1
Review: VON Bargen's Jewelry May '14 Emma Roberts 1
Middlebury College parties Apr '14 Underage drinking 1
Corrections Officer accused of sending nude pic... (Feb '14) Mar '14 Greenstreet 2

Springfield News Video

Springfield Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Springfield Jobs

Springfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Springfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springfield

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]