Downtown option - R.I.P.: State offic...

Downtown option - R.I.P.: State offices to remain at Veterans M...

There are 14 comments on the Bennington Banner story from May 9, 2009, titled Downtown option - R.I.P.: State offices to remain at Veterans M.... In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

Lawmakers officially ended debate Thursday on the long-term location of state offices, and the Douglas administration is now looking to quickly rebuild on the existing state-owned site.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

Good final outcome

Bennington, VT

#1 May 9, 2009
This is a good final outcome. I just hope that they can salvage most of the building mitiigating the costs of rebuilding. And that they incorporate "green" construction/renovation options to set an example. What is dissapointing is the "blame around" with the politicians who are IMHO posturing to their supporters/constituents. Mr. Appleman is a real estate developer who took a risk not unlike many other real estate corporations. I do think that potentially IMHO that this will have an impact on his future investments in Bennington. This would have been a very nice "deal" had it worked for his corporation.
Real Vermonter

Boston, MA

#2 May 9, 2009
I guess it wasn't meant to be! Everything will be alright!

Since: Jan 08

Charlestown, MA

#3 May 10, 2009
Is that like the Final Solution?
Sam i am

Chesterfield, MO

#4 May 11, 2009
Now im p what does new gen want. tax ass. missed another boost 4 downtown recycle people
Fred

Brighton, MA

#5 May 11, 2009
How people complain when Applejack's pockets are not lined with the taxpayers' money. This was the only rational decision. I support down town wholeheartedly. However, that does not mean we should spend taxpayer money to fund what would be a small increase in down town foot traffic and business. Moving state workers to that polluted dump did not make sense. Mitigation, shmitigation. When a building such as that fails a test, it invariably passes after cobbled up, on-the-cheap "mitigation." It sounds like the state workers had more faith in the state to protect their health than in Applejack.
nana says

Salem, NH

#6 May 11, 2009
How funny - I told you several weeks ago something was fishy with these guys wanting to use Appleman's building. Standard get a life - you did nothing to save jobs in Bennington County while you were in charge of the Bennington Better Corp. and what you do while employed for them? NOTHING.
Sears needs to get out - he has clearly proven over the last couple years he is too familar with getting pay backs.
As far as Morrissey goes - Standard has no right to say negative things about her before looking into what he has done to our town. I have seen Morrissey over at the Welfare office with people woh need help- maybe she had a better insight because she actually goes there and other offices as well opposed to Sears who likes to hang out with the "Big Boys" -
Looks like Sears was the only one for it - the others choose to save the state money and build on what we own - think about it people
Would you rent an appartment for $16,000.00 a month if you had your own land and a trailer to live in while you built yourself a new house? NO-NO-NO-
So why don't we ask Sears and Standard why should we the tax payers so it? People on welfare can not afford to shop at shop on Main Street - fact is I really don't know anyone in Bennington who shops on Main Street.
Maybe the mainstreet business owners should open a different store where everyone can shop and they would get shoppers - I am so sick of the "DOWNTOWN" people crying - it has been over 20 years since I used to work at the Ramada Inn back in the day -
nana says

Salem, NH

#7 May 11, 2009
For 20 years teh Downtown businesses have been crying - yet they were part of the crowd who wanted the Junior High to move - look at that eyesoar now!
The town sold Appleman the Catamount School for nothing. I am sure they could have done somthing with the school - OH I know - offer to sell it to the STATE!
Real Vermonter

Boston, MA

#8 May 11, 2009
A is for APPLE J is for JACK! LOL!!
Good final outcome

Bennington, VT

#9 May 11, 2009
nana says wrote:
How funny - I told you several weeks ago something was fishy with these guys wanting to use Appleman's building. Standard get a life - you did nothing to save jobs in Bennington County while you were in charge of the Bennington Better Corp. and what you do while employed for them? NOTHING.
Sears needs to get out - he has clearly proven over the last couple years he is too familar with getting pay backs.\
As far as Morrissey goes - Standard has no right to say negative things about her before looking into what he has done to our town. I have seen Morrissey over at the Welfare office with people woh need help- maybe she had a better insight because she actually goes there and other offices as well opposed to Sears who likes to hang out with the "Big Boys" -
Looks like Sears was the only one for it - the others choose to save the state money and build on what we own - think about it people
Would you rent an appartment for $16,000.00 a month if you had your own land and a trailer to live in while you built yourself a new house? NO-NO-NO-
So why don't we ask Sears and Standard why should we the tax payers so it? People on welfare can not afford to shop at shop on Main Street - fact is I really don't know anyone in Bennington who shops on Main Street.
Maybe the mainstreet business owners should open a different store where everyone can shop and they would get shoppers - I am so sick of the "DOWNTOWN" people crying - it has been over 20 years since I used to work at the Ramada Inn back in the day -
Thank you so much for your perspective. I am sure there are many fellow citizens in Bennington that are thinking the same thing. I DO remember the Ramada Inn and you are right, downtown is a melange of specialty stores that do not appeal to most people. This is their choice to open up and should not be depending upon others to survive.
Just IMHO.
Real Vermonter

Boston, MA

#10 May 11, 2009
Cinnamon toasty Apple Jacks!
Good final outcome

Bennington, VT

#11 May 11, 2009
Fred wrote:
How people complain when Applejack's pockets are not lined with the taxpayers' money. This was the only rational decision. I support down town wholeheartedly. However, that does not mean we should spend taxpayer money to fund what would be a small increase in down town foot traffic and business. Moving state workers to that polluted dump did not make sense. Mitigation, shmitigation. When a building such as that fails a test, it invariably passes after cobbled up, on-the-cheap "mitigation." It sounds like the state workers had more faith in the state to protect their health than in Applejack.
Agree. Good points!
Good final outcome

Bennington, VT

#12 May 11, 2009
A final issue. There is a high probablity that the previous tenant is going to raise the "environmentals" at the site. Just IMHO.
Ethan Allen

Boston, MA

#13 May 12, 2009
The politico's that have jumped on the bypass wagon over the years have seen the damage it has caused downtown, and this was a way for some of them to try and stop the bleeding they have caused, but some were smart enough to realize that the state should own and not rent, and that the state offices really aren't that far away from Downtown as it is.I don't think the developer did a good job of selling his idea. I have to disagree with my contemporary Voltaire, who once said,"When its a question of money, everybody is of the same religion.” But in this case I do agree with another contemporary of mine and a friend of Voltaire, Ben Franklin,"He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money.
Downtown has it's back to the wall right now. As a good friend of mine once said.
Live free or die Benningtonians, traffic is not the worse of evils.
Real Vermonter

Boston, MA

#14 May 12, 2009
Another nice hot cup of Ethan Allen in the morning! Thank you! It was good!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Habitual offender gets 15-24 months in jail (Aug '09) Jun '16 Light For All 8
News Vermont State Police searching for escaped sex ... Jun '16 Elmer 5
News Corrections Officer accused of sending nude pic... (Feb '14) May '16 Cheddar Cheese 4
News Two arraigned in I-91 heroin bust (Oct '14) May '16 Anonymous 9
Cory Oldroyd Mareiot Motel L op ser Apr '16 Marriott 1
Middlebury VT Marriott married man having affair (Jan '16) Jan '16 Disgusting 1
News Driving the gauntlet Town along Route 4 collect... (Nov '09) Jan '16 Notgoingfast 3

Springfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springfield Mortgages