Students Protest Rejection of Books w...

Students Protest Rejection of Books with Christian View of Homo...

There are 33 comments on the NBC 4 Washington, DC story from Oct 2, 2008, titled Students Protest Rejection of Books with Christian View of Homo.... In it, NBC 4 Washington, DC reports that:

A group of high school students that wants the Fairfax County School System to allow library books that offer a Christian perspective on homosexuality demonstrated Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 4 Washington, DC.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
unbelievable

Bailey, NC

#22 Oct 3, 2008
TBA wrote:
<quoted text>
OMFG I'm going to hell just b/c I don't believe in your so call GOD. BLAH your an idiot for saying the school system promotes homosexual agenda. So me some proof that they are pro-homosexual. You claim that they are anti-christian, you never heard of the club call "Christian Fellowship" they have that in the publican school systems. Clubs are different from putting books in the school system. It is up to a teacher to sponsor a club or after school activity. As for saying I am on the fast track to hell. Who are you to judge people? Are you GOD? Like I say "I Don't Care About Your God". So you can keep on screaming your religion at me much as you want.
fast track to hell?hmm YOUR ON A ROLLER COASTER
Jill R

Silver Spring, MD

#23 Oct 3, 2008
Debi from Gaithersburg wrote:
I am amazed at the discrimination on this thread. In the "land of the free" there is supposed to be equal access for all points of view. If the school allows books that are pro homosexuality then they should allow books that are anti homosexuality. If they allow book on Islam, they should allow books on Christianity. I am not one for promoting a hateful book, but just because someone doesn't have the same view point as you, doesn't mean that they are promoting hate.
The problem is that anti-gay people label literature pro-homosexual if it just portrays gay/lesbians as OK people who do all the normal things the rest of us do. That is not pro-homosexual lliterature. Pro-homosexual literature would push the idea that all readers need to become homosexual or that homosexuals are better than other people. I have never seen literature like that in any library. Since it's not in the library, then there's no place for anti-homosexual literature there either.
DMA from Washington DC

Washington, DC

#24 Oct 3, 2008
Donna wrote:
Ummmm........Told you she flip flops! Now she goes into the "Holier than thou" act. How creative you are fed up! Miss Personality at it's finest.
Hi Donna, yes you did warn me about fed ups flip flopping and she has the nerve to say she does not need mental help. She needs it in the worst way and the sad thing is she does not even know it.
come on now

AOL

#25 Oct 3, 2008
I am sorry but this is NOT censorship.

Iím usually not one for censorship but I am for standards. And I have a hard time believing that anything put out about the lgbt community by the anti-gay industry or their allies belong in a public library without extreme scrutiny on its credibility.

The anti-gay industry has a track record of relying bad research (Paul Cameron) or distorting legitimate research (i.e. Elizabeth Saewyc, Robert Spitzer, Patrick Letellier, Robert Garafalo, Carol Gilligan, Lisa Waldner, Joanne Hall, Francis Collins, etc.)

And this track record of lies should not be ignored simply because the anti-gay industry was able to find enough guillible students and their parents to try and play a game of semantics.

I donít think a book should be included in a libraryís selection simply because a group holds a press conference and sidesteps the issues of accuracy by appealing to emotions and religious beliefs

When choosing books, libraries should always adhere to high standards and the highest of all of these are veracity, or truth.

Since: Dec 07

Fmr LI reloTucson, AZ

#26 Oct 3, 2008
The fact is that liberals are by their very nature hostile to Christians and any opinions that disagree with the liberal worldview. They are today's bolsheviks. The homosexual agenda goes beyond desiring "equal" rights. This extremist movement wants to indoctrinate school children into accepting this immoral, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle as "normal", which it is not by any stretch of the imagination. The American Library Association is not a neutral or objective body interested in a fair approach to free speech or viewpoint expression. Therefore, expect them to promote their own agenda. School districts are often run by liberals. Expect anti-Christian activity, and be prepared to engage, confront, and oppose this type of bias, being vocal and using civil disobedience where appropriate.
Russ

United States

#27 Oct 4, 2008
News flash. There is no such thing as a gay child. Children are not born gay. They only get confused about sexuality as they get older and are bombarded with images and pressures. All the more reason to ensure schools do not promote homosexuality as normal.
You might as well wish that I have children who want to have sex with animals. Both are equally screwed up.
Russ

United States

#28 Oct 4, 2008
In response to Jill R's comment below:
"The problem is that anti-gay people label literature pro-homosexual if it just portrays gay/lesbians as OK people who do all the normal things the rest of us do. That is not pro-homosexual lliterature."

NO, any literature, or tv show, that portrays gays in any way normal IF it shows them kissing or something like that, IS pro-homosexuality BECAUSE the act itself is NOT normal.
If you see two people who are doing normal things, and they happen to be gay BUT you can never tell that they are gay, that would be fine. But the minute they do an unnatural act, such as kissing, it becomes pro-homosexual. This does not apply to a man/woman kiss because that is the way it is supposed to be. If you were reading a story of two people doing "normal" things and all of a sudden one of them reached down and kissed his dog, wouldn't that be controversial. There would be no reason in the story for this type of behavior except to shock the reader. And before anybody gets on their high horse and dares me by comparing two men or women kissing with somebody who kisses their dog; YES, I do compare them because the are BOTH EQUAL in their abnormality, offensiveness and unnatural behavior.
8off

Raleigh, NC

#29 Oct 4, 2008
let the gays identify themselves more easily so they can be rounded up efficiently. you could distribute armbands in your school.
Kaelinda

Augusta, WV

#30 Oct 7, 2008
It's interesting that the school will accept books that contain atheist content but not books that contain Christian content. They'll probably accept books that contain content explaining any other religion - just not Christian. This is no longer a free country; freedom of speech is only allowed to pornographers and to minority groups and to religious groups other than Christian. Any ethnic group can say what it pleases about whites, but whites are not allowed to express any opinion about other races. It's not free speech by any stretch of the imagination, but it is America.
Hope

Waco, TX

#31 Nov 3, 2008
You are being judge by what you say.
TBA wrote:
<quoted text>
OMFG I'm going to hell just b/c I don't believe in your so call GOD. BLAH your an idiot for saying the school system promotes homosexual agenda. So me some proof that they are pro-homosexual. You claim that they are anti-christian, you never heard of the club call "Christian Fellowship" they have that in the publican school systems. Clubs are different from putting books in the school system. It is up to a teacher to sponsor a club or after school activity. As for saying I am on the fast track to hell. Who are you to judge people? Are you GOD? Like I say "I Don't Care About Your God". So you can keep on screaming your religion at me much as you want.
Hope

Waco, TX

#32 Nov 3, 2008
I hear no one screaming but you,and I say this being very kind,you are crying out for help. When I said that I'm not being ugly, I truly mean it. Jesus did not come for the whole but for the sick & hurting. yes,I hear your cry. Please understand when you say " I Don't Care About Your God" it does not matter what you say, but you do.
Cael

Rexburg, ID

#33 Nov 13, 2008
TBA wrote:
These dumb Christian are certified Moron. They do not understand the separation of Church and State. This group basically wanted to push their religion agenda on the students in Fairfax Co., if they are so bold then why don't they try to give books to Private Catholic Schools and Private Christian Schools. We basically know the saying of most Christian Groups on Homosexuality. They basically say it is evil, it's a illness, etc...etc... So my basically message to this Christian group is "GO SHOVE IT BECAUSE I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR SO CALL GOD"
Simply having religious text available is not endorsing any religious view... simply being a library... you know a wide variety of texts... whether they be subjective or not.

They have a perfectly valid point, good protest,
SDK

State College, PA

#34 Nov 23, 2009
Hope wrote:
I hear no one screaming but you,and I say this being very kind,you are crying out for help. When I said that I'm not being ugly, I truly mean it. Jesus did not come for the whole but for the sick & hurting. yes,I hear your cry. Please understand when you say " I Don't Care About Your God" it does not matter what you say, but you do.
YOUR NUTS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
charles manson and annette marion w/military al... (Jun '17) Feb '18 Poopydoo 3
Springfield Music Thread (Apr '14) Feb '18 Mandingo indian 8
nra Feb '18 Mandingo indian 2
Springfield Mall Nov '17 Laura 1
News ms-13 Oct '17 C Kersey 1
News Virginia officials charged in snow-clearing bri... (Sep '17) Oct '17 WCB 3
Anna Basutro (sp)? (Jun '17) Jun '17 LoraC 1

Springfield Jobs

Personal Finance

Springfield Mortgages