Un-freeways

There are 9 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Apr 24, 2008, titled Un-freeways. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

Is there a way to keep the freeway "free?" It seems increasingly unlikely, given the disparity between demand and supply, the mounting deferrals of costs and the disinclination of elected public officials to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Just a thought

United States

#1 Apr 24, 2008
I can hardly wait until people in the farming areas of the state need to improve their roads. Can you even imagine what the toll will need to be on a country road in order to get some business to build a road on the promise that the user's will pay a sufficient toll to repay the loan and the necessary profit to make that a good business deal?
Lee

Hampton, VA

#2 Apr 24, 2008
i'm not opposed to tolls on the bridge-tunnels,i am opposed to more gas taxes,i don't have to use the tunnels,i do have to eat though......and the honorable Gilmore was going to do away with the car tax too but i still get a bill every 6 months.....just like clock work.....
Just a thought

United States

#3 Apr 24, 2008
Lee wrote:
i'm not opposed to tolls on the bridge-tunnels,i am opposed to more gas taxes,i don't have to use the tunnels,i do have to eat though......and the honorable Gilmore was going to do away with the car tax too but i still get a bill every 6 months.....just like clock work.....
Do you know for a fact that we pay more in with the gasoline tax than it cost to build and maintain the roads? Why should we subsidize the road system with some other tax. The free market system is supposed to provide the most cost effective use of human capital. Subsidies skew the results and are by definition inefficient. We can only make the best decisions if we have honest information on which to make our decisions.
Highway User - Greg

Annapolis, MD

#4 Apr 24, 2008
If you need to put in a toll for a new bridge or new express toll lane, go for it. If you want to put tolls on existing road capacity already paid for with the gas tax, it's a mistake. Don't target a captive population for a new corridor tax! It makes more sense to charge people an extra few pennies a gallon and guarantee that the money is only spent on roads.
vdot2pot

Huntsville, AL

#5 Apr 24, 2008
When will we look at the real waste of our transportation dollars - get VDOT on the spot and make them accountable to use our money wisely. Throwing money at a problem has never solved anything.
CLB

Moseley, VA

#6 Apr 24, 2008
Get these elected morons to stop redistributing our wealth to people who won't work and use the money to rebuild infrastructure
Stop telling LIES DP

Norfolk, VA

#7 Apr 24, 2008
The presumption that a road is "free" because it doesn't have a toll is one of the more idiotic statements ever made in the DP. We pay some of the highest gas taxes in the nation and that is what pays for roads.
Coupled with the fact that the crooked politicians in the General Assembly have raided the Transportation Trust Fund to pay for their pork projects and it makes one wonder if your Editorial staff isn't over medicated and hallucinating!
The fact is, Tolls are the single most expensive and least efficient means of collecting money. Why would anyone with an IQ over 9 advocate them?
You need to put the Editorial staff back on comics and get the comics folks into the Editorial office. At least there would be some touch with reality.
Going downhill faster each year DP!
Keyboard Commando

United States

#8 Apr 25, 2008
You here about no money for roads and you hear that there no money for schools.

Waite a minute did I say schools. Yes, schools need money. Why do schools need money what is the lottery doing with the money it makes. I read a sign the other day that said that VA schools have received over 4 billion dollars. Where is all this money going for schools and they claim, they need more money.

We here of all this short falls form Richmond yet we see no cut back from programs that the state has taken on for what every reason.

Hey folks there no accountability in Richmond and we will continue down the slippery slope. There money being used that should have stopped years ago yet they continue to spend my money. I tired of the hands in my pockets and look to the Democrats to try to get more at the state level and the Feds.

There is only one way to stop this and that to elect people that have our agenda on there mind not there or there parties.

Oh yes put the tolls back and do not let the state control it at all. There are company that can do a better job then the like of VDOT.
Gene

Norfolk, VA

#9 Apr 26, 2008
Gee it seems like no one said anything about the lottery money helping with the roads people there are billions of dollars in the state coffers sitting there doing nothing..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fairfax Music Thread (Dec '13) Mar 9 Musikologist 10
News Hanukkah With the Jews for Jesus (Mar '15) Feb '17 Messianic114 42
Review: D J Feathers Aviary (Mar '09) Feb '17 Tom Marshall 8
information needed on Impact Realestate llc in ... Dec '16 househunter 1
Review: Capital Group Real Estate Inc (Jun '09) Dec '16 househunter 19
Found missing laptop Nov '16 BurkeVA 1
Benghazi and Virginia Nov '16 Benghazi and Virg... 1

Springfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance