First Prev
of 69
Next Last
Jack Bright

Sudbury, Canada

#1 May 31, 2006
I grew up in Yeadon during the 50's and 60's. I've lived in Canada for the last 35 years. I see the black population in Yeadon is now over 80%. When I lived there, I don't think it was 10%. Can anyone tell me why such a drastic change. I also notice St Louis school where I went to school no longer exists. Is that because of the population change? I also see Yeadon High School no longer exists. What happened there?
Yeadon Resident

United States

#2 May 31, 2006
This happened when I lived in West Philadelphia, than in South West Philadelphia, now Yeadon/Lansdowne/Upper Darby/ Drexel Hill..etc. Half of the black residents are from Philadelphia, the same ones that pushed everyone else out from Philadelphia is now pushing them out of the suburbs. The other half are mostly foreigners, who by the way are extremely nice and friendly, much more than the black Philadelphiains.

I have no problem with the nationality of the residents, however I do have a problem with them acting like the white residents have taken over "their" neighborhood, when in all actuality it was ours to begin with!
The problems that most Parocial schools are running into nowadays is the fact that there are not enough students attending the school in order to keep it opened, since it runs on tutition funds, unlike public schools that are state funded.

Three schools and churches I attended have since closed because of the decline in attendance. I blame it on the population, because they are non-white and non-Catholic. It's a fact that most Catholic school students are White, however they are moving out of the neighborhoods because of the declining conditions.

It's extremely sad to have to move yet again, because of the people that are taking over the neighborhood. This will be my third move.
Jack Bright

Sudbury, Canada

#3 May 31, 2006
Yeadon high school was a public school. It had a junior high (7,8,9) and a high school (10, 11 and 12). All the black kids I knew went to that school. What happened there? When I lived in Yeadon, there was no problem between black and white but that was a long time ago. It's too bad. That's one thing I like about Toronto. You see kids of all colors hanging around together. They had 70 homicides last year and they thought that was terrible. You say blacks get offended when whites take over their neighborhood. Where did this happen?
rivert

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Jun 2, 2006
I will be moving to Drexel Hill shortly and was looking in the area behind Pilgrims Village. I have a child and was told that depending on which side of tracks you live on determines whether or not my child attends Beverly Hill Middle School or Drexel Hill Middle School. Also, I have heard some negative things about Beverly Hill Middle School so I would prefer DHMS. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Some Help

United States

#5 Jun 2, 2006
rivert wrote:
I will be moving to Drexel Hill shortly and was looking in the area behind Pilgrims Village. I have a child and was told that depending on which side of tracks you live on determines whether or not my child attends Beverly Hill Middle School or Drexel Hill Middle School. Also, I have heard some negative things about Beverly Hill Middle School so I would prefer DHMS. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
I would definetely direct you to send your child to Drexel Hill. Beverly has rapidly declied over the past 4-6 years. Although they are talking about changing the school boundaries since BHMS is so overpopulated, while Drexel Hill has been steady in population.

The only downside is your child will have to go to Upper Darby High School (which houses Upper Darby, Drexel Hill, Clifton, Secane, Primos area students), and inturn UDHS has become EXTREMELY overpopulated. Not to mention the fact that atleast 40% of the students there are illegal students from Philadelphia, making it harder for the legal students.

Pilgrim Gardens is a nice area, however I would suggest looking into the area a litte down the road from Pilgrim Gardens, because that is the Springfield school district. I would definetely consider Springfield because by the time your child gets to High School they will have a better chance attending Springfield that Upper Darby for a well established education.

Not to say Upper Darby High School doesn't offer a lot, however even teachers there will tell you it's overpopulated, dangerous, etc., the school has vastly declined just in the past three years.

I hope I've helped, let me know if you have any more questions!
parents

Emmaus, PA

#6 Jun 2, 2006
parents are the reason for the population shift.the ones who are so overprotective of their children that they hide them in private ( catholic )schools,to shelter them from reality.the reality is that its not the 50's anymore and yes,you do need to lock your door at night.times have changed and people dont like change so they run!run is what they're doing ,leaving the area they helped to create and swearing it as they leave it behind.with the housing boom in the 90's and the ease it takes to turn over property (that many people inherited),all it took was an unfamiliar face to move in down the street for them to pack up and say good bye.there is no such thing as community anymore,its everyone for yourself. 50 years ago everyone new everybody and most people's jobs were steady.not anymore .20 years ago chidren addressed you as mr. or mrs.,not anymore theres no stoping this downward spiral and its very sad.i was a student at upper darby h.s. 86-90 when president reagan visited.it was mandatory for all males to where a tie for the speech.maybe 15 showed up without a tie.if they did that now you would have 150 show up without a tie or a belt!
Reality

United States

#7 Jun 5, 2006
It has nothing to do with an "unfamiliar face", the reality of it is that these people move into the neighborhood, destroy it and reck havoc on the community. Don't tell me you haven't seen it happen in Upper Darby, if anything Upper Darby's the most declining neighborhood in Delaware County.
Yes times are a changing, but just because someone sends their child to Catholic School doesn't mean they are "hiding" them from reality. That's a complete lie! I went to Catholic School up until 6th grade, however because of financial issues I finished the rest of my education in public school. You send your children to Catholic School so they get an education and understanding of their religion, not to hide them. Reality is quite existent in Catholic School maybe you should visit sometime.
LOL

Allentown, PA

#8 Jun 5, 2006
Does anyone remember when Main street in Darby was the place to shop? Go there now and tell me if it's "Unfamiliar faces"....
Reality

United States

#9 Jun 5, 2006
I'm not saying that most people in the area nowadays are unfamiliar, however that has nothing to do with people up and leaving the community. What has to do with the fact that everyone is picking up and leaving so quickly, is the fact that the people moving in are destroying the area. Why stay somewhere that the community and price value of homes is decling in record amounts?
They move in reck it all, than act as though it was the people who orginally lived there's fault. Umm, hello? Does anyone else find something wrong with that? Then when they don't like it there anymore they pick up and move to another community, another spot where they can do it all over again.
T Mayo

New York, NY

#10 Feb 6, 2007
Wow, Guys!
Did you wash your sheet and hood for the big rally? Not all Blacks cause the issues in Delaware county, poor whites are not necessarily the best neighboors. If you think you can run from us think again. Whatever, think you may have many others, Black included have more. You can't run fast enough. So get off the internet with your hidden negative comments and pray for your soul and God's forgiveness of your evil thoughts. Don't comment on the few as if they represent the many.
Duh

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Feb 7, 2007
It's called "Brain drain" and "Reality" is left behind.
Its A Shame Upper Darby

United States

#12 Feb 7, 2007
I am always being told that the whites in Upper Darby are the most racist and prejudice people on the face of the earth and times have not change them. I also get angry when I hear people tell me this because I find the whites people here to be very nice people even though I can see some fear in the their eyes when I speak to them. I try to over look it because I see God in their eyes and I feel bad for them maybe because they feel trap but I can say now I am so happy that all the devil children of satan was able to move out you will live in Hell when you die. I just can get over how awful some of you white people still think and for those of you who went to Catholic School well we all know you not even one of Gods Children. Yes I am Black Catholic Person who loves their White and Black Neighbors. They are the Best. And we are all very happy people. Were are you getting your information. Oh why are we moving to your old area because we want a better quality of life also is that too much to asks. Thanks
Joanne

Camden, NJ

#13 Feb 8, 2007
I agree, I do not think Black Residents are the blame for the decline. I think Bad residents are, I have lived in Collingdale for three years and I am ready to get out. I am sick of the vandals, the WAWA now closes at midnight, and just last night my car was spray painted. I have a question for the Mayor of Collingdale, what are you doing about the increase in crime? Collingdale will be losing a two income family who owns their home. And by the way for anyone who feels it is the black residents to blame, I am white, and my husband is black. We both work full time and are college educated.

inc
T Mayo wrote:
Wow, Guys!
Did you wash your sheet and hood for the big rally? Not all Blacks cause the issues in Delaware county, poor whites are not necessarily the best neighboors. If you think you can run from us think again. Whatever, think you may have many others, Black included have more. You can't run fast enough. So get off the internet with your hidden negative comments and pray for your soul and God's forgiveness of your evil thoughts. Don't comment on the few as if they represent the many.
Teen comment

Norristown, PA

#14 Mar 22, 2007
I understand where a lot of people come from when speaking of Upper Darby and the decline of the neighborhoods. My family moved her 10 years ago and were the only blacks on our street. But I don't agree with all the blame of Upper Darby's decline being on black people! Did any of you ever think that some families really wanted to start a better life and thought that they may have found it in a better neighborhood? Or if a mother would like to move her kids out of a drug riddled neighborhood? What about those who wanted to stop dodging bullets? Nothing will change by itself and you can't run forever but it will change if you go into your community, get to REALLY know people and try to make it a better community!
fed up and moving

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Mar 22, 2007
As for the downward spiral of the southeastern side of Delaware county I think we can all thank most NOT ALL of the lowlife non working but able, bums on the wonderful Section 8. It's not the blacks, whites or other nationality. They all have equal amounts of dirtballs throughout. If you have no job and a ton of rotten kids which by the way you made them the way they are, who all have different last names and not 1 person in your home has a job or the intention on getting one, I would like to thank you for your dedication on the destruction of our society. Keep on watching your big screens and eating better than everyone else, hell it's on us anyway so enjoy.
Ztype

AOL

#16 Mar 31, 2007
Everyone, Please!Stop blaming the color, and name the behavior . Irresponsiblity and Insatiability are destroying all of our neighborhoods. The world is overpopulated by out-of wedlock children born to women whose primary aim is to make other people and agencies responsible for their opportunities and privileges in life; the children they produce as pawns become the vandals, the villians and the vicious-circle perpetuators; schools are overburdened by the demands of parents who expect to relegate all responsibility for their children's success to institutions (scholarly and extracurricular); a large portion of the population is fixated on what can be gotten for nothing versus what they can give freely; and NEIGHBORHOODS are proximate beings more concerned with rampant consumerism than community....so, stop calling out the color, and look at the character.....ANY QUESTIONS?
curly Q

United States

#17 Apr 6, 2007
fed up and moving wrote:
As for the downward spiral of the southeastern side of Delaware county I think we can all thank most NOT ALL of the lowlife non working but able, bums on the wonderful Section 8. It's not the blacks, whites or other nationality. They all have equal amounts of dirtballs throughout. If you have no job and a ton of rotten kids which by the way you made them the way they are, who all have different last names and not 1 person in your home has a job or the intention on getting one, I would like to thank you for your dedication on the destruction of our society. Keep on watching your big screens and eating better than everyone else, hell it's on us anyway so enjoy.
You got it right.Both white and black low-lifes ruined this town,U.D.I lived here 50yrs. and I seen the changes.It was a safe working class town.Quiet to.Now I'm wakened all hours of the night with getto-blasters,horn-blowing idiots that think 2am is 2pm.Sound waves vibrateing my seats like a cheap motel room with a vibrating bed.Bullets(unused) outside my home.drug deals 24/7 near my home,and able bodied young 20ish guys/gals not working but have money(we know how the money comes in).I could hear crickets at night,birds in the morning.Now its all gansta rap-crap.My next door neighbor is black and we are freinds and she doesn't like how the town changed.She,like me are quiet respectable people who don't disturb others with our choice of entertainment.I am hearing foul,demeaning words blasted from giant car speakers and children hear it as well.Listen to whatever you want,but don't take away my choice of entertainment in my home,for these rap-crap penetrates into my home.That is disrespect and tresspassing.
curly Q

United States

#18 Apr 6, 2007
Whats up with the idiots that park on fire zones,even ones with a hydrant?There have been a feww emergency calls to the hood,but no one was in a fire zone at the time.The violators comming home saw the fire trucks then parked on them the next day.Your insurance company can drop your coverage,the fire company can legally damage you vehicle and you won't get compensated for it.Not to forget that they are doing themselves and their neighbors a great disservice.We have a fire bug in ths hood to.3 fires were set in the early am hours last summer.Then the idoits buy a row home,know its a row home and clog the streets with too many cars,multiple parties with multiple guess that litter the streets with trash,instead of providing a trash can.These homes were built in 1947,some earlier,when not so many had cars.When I moved to this street 36yrs.ago,there was parking on one side only.As the number of household members rise,so did the amont of cars.So the township took down the signs to allow the other side of the street can accomodate the cars.Now its not engough parking again,so they park illegally.My brother moved to a home with its own lot to park on when he knew it was wrong to tie up the street with all his cars.Here,no one has the brains to know when they have too many cars.These homes weren't built for that.As for parties,my family rents a hall to hold a large gathering.If you can't afford to rent a hall,then have a smaller gathering.other neighbors may be having guests also.
curly Q

United States

#19 Apr 9, 2007
Easter day and it happened again.Big get togethers on a street that has limitations(parking,number of persons to a house)All parking was taken,including the fire zones.Hours on end,and people still coming.I stayed home because there would be no place for me to park when I come home.Noise was loud for hours.This is a residential neighborhood,not a sports arena!Not everyone is into celebrating,especially those that have to go to work 5am,and those that don't feel well.Being in your own home can be a nightmare because of it.I dread holidays because of overbearing partiers.It sounds more like a football game going on outside instead of a religious holiday!I can't pray in peace even!Seems like Easter is just an excuse to act rowdy.
curly Q

United States

#20 Apr 9, 2007
Mixing cultures may look good in theroy,just isn't practical in actually living together.One culture observes a holiday,with a lot of parting,the next door home is observing one that requires quiet pray.You have culture clash.Chinese celebrate new years on a different day,while you're mouring a death.Why are black culture gatherings so extrmely loud?The music,children and conversation?I'm outside getting the mail,hear 2 guys arguing,I look up to see whats going on,and no one there.I follow the sound and find the 2 120ft. away.At my loudest voice you can't hear me from 80ft. away.I lsten to my tunz and it can't be heard beyond 20ft.Black music,I can hear in my home with windows closed and the source of the sound is 75ft. away.Do they naturally have a hearing problem?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 69
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why is there so much hate on this forum? Sun Upper Darby Barbie 5
Glenolden Walmart mid 20's Wankster Begs For Ha... Sun Indian Medical St... 3
News Upper Darby and the charter school questions Sat WPDHUD0519018 5
Delco D.A. employee allegedly used forfeited ca... Apr 15 Chubby Chaser 2
News Goodbye Media Patch. (Jan '14) Apr 15 aipac is treason 27
Police Investigate Car Break-ins At Planet Fitn... Apr 14 Holotta Wytrache 1
Speeding Dominos driver Apr 14 Wyatt Trayush 4
More from around the web

Springfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE