sister

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2010

Back in the 70's, my family would drive from Dayton to eat at Markovs. Not sure of the spelling. There was a bar as well. They had the best chicken I ever ate, great cole slaw. The chickens were raised out back. Does anyone know if it still exists?
JDE

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

sister wrote:
Back in the 70's, my family would drive from Dayton to eat at Markovs. Not sure of the spelling. There was a bar as well. They had the best chicken I ever ate, great cole slaw. The chickens were raised out back. Does anyone know if it still exists?
Mike Markov died years ago and his wife ran it for quite a while. I was back there for a funeral in nov. 08. The building was still there but I don't know if it was open or not. I drove tractor trailers back there and most of our company was there every Sat nite for chicken dinners and a few beers! Ah the good old days!
sister

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

How sad to hear that it is no longer in operation and that he has passed on. They should have franchised it. He had a great recipe for chicken. I'd love to find out what the seasoning was made from. Thanks for the info.
lisa

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Now called Taylors Tavern ...I live in Enon, so it's close to my house. They have an outdoor patio now, with a bar outside, and a little fire pit and a stage back there for live music. Very nice.
I have never eaten there so I can't comment on the food, but my husband works in Enon, and he said several people he works with goes everyday to eat lunch there.
stan markov

Costa Mesa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

my adopted parents, Mary and Joe Markov ran the place with Joe's brother Mike until Joe passed away in 1960. Joe and Mary also had a bar in downtown Dayton, Ohio. Mary sold out to Mike and he continued to run the restaurant in Enon. The last time I ate there was in about 1981 and the chicken was - and is - the best I ever had. I had the luxury of living at home with Mary until 1975 and she still made the chicken with the recipe that was so famous at Markov's. I'm 55 now and I miss those days very much.
David N Lewis

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

stan markov wrote:
my adopted parents, Mary and Joe Markov ran the place with Joe's brother Mike until Joe passed away in 1960. Joe and Mary also had a bar in downtown Dayton, Ohio. Mary sold out to Mike and he continued to run the restaurant in Enon. The last time I ate there was in about 1981 and the chicken was - and is - the best I ever had. I had the luxury of living at home with Mary until 1975 and she still made the chicken with the recipe that was so famous at Markov's. I'm 55 now and I miss those days very much.

You wouldn't happen to have the recipe would you?
O-yeah

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2010

stan markov wrote:
my adopted parents, Mary and Joe Markov ran the place with Joe's brother Mike until Joe passed away in 1960. Joe and Mary also had a bar in downtown Dayton, Ohio. Mary sold out to Mike and he continued to run the restaurant in Enon. The last time I ate there was in about 1981 and the chicken was - and is - the best I ever had. I had the luxury of living at home with Mary until 1975 and she still
made the chicken with the recipe that was
so famous at Markov's. I'm 55 now and I
miss those days very much.
Me too,
Do you have it?
Area Native

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2010

I grew up in Springfield and we were there for a chicken dinner practically every weekend. I was sad when I heard they'd closed. I don't know whether it's true, but if you don't have the recipes, I think I remember someone telling me that Mary had shared her recipes with Connie (of Bruce and Connie - don't want to use any last names here).
David N Lewis

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2010

Any Idea if the signs are still around???
tootsie

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

The chicken sign is still there. :)
Maria Clark

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2011

I know where to find the recipe for the chicken - my husband is Chris Clark and when Ruby Markov passed the restrurant to daughter Becky Clark and then after Becky passed in 2000 - we sold it. but Tracy, Susan and Chris know the recipe. I'll ask
tracy

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2011

I didn't know Joe or Mary, but interesting to find out about you. I am Mike and Ruby's granddaughter.
tracy

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2011

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/446986534...

try this for the sign. If not google, and you can see on flicker.
Kathy T

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

This was a every Saturday meal for our family. Sometimes more than once a week. Was always driving around back to pck up dinner. Mother always wanted the backs. If anyone should have this recipe, could you please share. Would do anything for a Markov's Chicken Fix :)
Thank you,
Kathy
Katiedid034@aol.com
Rob

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

How can get the recipe,I would love to try to make it,and the best cole slaw,would love to have that is the south.anyone with infor let me know 318rmarion@bellsouth.net

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Springfield Forum right now

Search the Springfield Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 10 min xxxrayted 29,207
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) 44 min super size 2,215
Fuyao 10 hr automan 1
Any Springfield Oldtimers around? (Jan '10) 12 hr Tony 55
worldfamous amber Thu smalltown 1
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Wed They cannot kill a Spook 231
Matt Kerns and Chris Myers Jul 22 ha haha ha 6
•••
•••
•••
Springfield Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Springfield Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••