New Reid Park "Rocket Slide"

Posted in the Springfield Forum

searching

Miamisburg, OH

#1 Feb 4, 2012
Anybody have an pictures of the rocket slide? Tried to explain to my daughter what it was like but not sure if I remember it accurately. Why'd they tear it down?
Bummer

Fairfield, OH

#2 Feb 4, 2012
searching wrote:
Anybody have an pictures of the rocket slide? Tried to explain to my daughter what it was like but not sure if I remember it accurately. Why'd they tear it down?
Totaly speculation and rumor but just like the large red slide that was similar down in snyder park...people were taking them apart piece by piece and scrapping the metal for cash until city finaly got tiard of replacing parts and took them down completely...I miss it ti< iam in my 30"s and remember it fondly ...I wish i cud show my children as well! if i come across a pic i will post it!
searching

Miamisburg, OH

#3 Feb 4, 2012
Same here ---- in my 30's and just can't quite convey how cool it really was. Is that turtle still down there? Haven't driven down there in a long time.
Bummer

Fairfield, OH

#4 Feb 4, 2012
the last time i was there...early last year the turtle was still there..a couple of soccer goals were set up to...atleast the space is being utilized! the hills are great for sledding ....next year of course! i dont want to jinx our wonderful winter this year! lol....
yep

Cincinnati, OH

#5 Feb 5, 2012
The metal bottom of the slide was treacherously hot in spots and the end had a high drop off at one point in time. It was fun.
yep

Cincinnati, OH

#6 Feb 5, 2012
Well, I guess I just grew and it seemed higher....
Bummer

Fairfield, OH

#7 Feb 5, 2012
the older i got it seemed as if the metal "ramp" to get to the top of the slide became harder to climb! and yes i agree it wud get very hot! lol...those were the days...Now at most city parks you are lucky if all the pieces are even usable! its very sad...i wish i had the $ to help improve the parks....but since i dont i guess i shouldnt run them the ground!
thomas

Mooresville, NC

#8 Mar 14, 2012
searching wrote:
found a pic of one just like it ,,dont think its the one in springfield cause i see water in the back ground,,,,,type in reid park rocket slide on google and go to images
Dan Cox

Columbus, OH

#9 Apr 11, 2012
I found this picture of the rocket slide on the following facebook site. The turtle's in the picture as well.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Trail-... #!/photo.php?fbid=101504461613 27782&set=a.10150446161292 782.447337.170145142781&ty pe=3&theater
graffixx71

Piqua, OH

#10 Apr 27, 2012
All of the playground equipment was destroyed because it was cheaper thn restoring due to lead paint.My friend works for parks and recreation and filled me in on this a few years ago
RodgerDodger

United States

#11 Oct 31, 2012
My husband said no, the turtle is no longer there. It's been gone for awhile, apparently.
patrick z

Zephyrhills, FL

#12 Nov 23, 2012
I just saw the pic...Gosh, memories. I remember climbing outside on the top of that t thing...what was I thinking!
Dave C

Chicago, IL

#13 Jan 21, 2013
We had a rocket slide in South Chicago, 95th/st, Calumet Park Beach. It was awesome. I agree, wish my kids would've had a chance to experience it.
Code

United States

#14 May 23, 2013
Is this the park by beaver lake? If so I remember that park well took my kids there all the time they loved it there. I hear it's a dog park now.
Reminisce

Dayton, OH

#15 May 23, 2013
Nope, that's Old Reid Park....but all the playground equipment is gone from there as well.
goodtimes

Grove City, OH

#16 Sep 10, 2013
i remember the rocket slide that whole set up seemed giant to me when i was little we always had our family reunions there good times :/
hotttoddynyc

Thousand Oaks, CA

#17 Mar 25, 2014
Does anyone know what Old reid park used to be before it was a park?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why would anyone want to live in Springfield, Ohio (Jul '07) 9 hr bob 196
Remembering old bars.... (Jul '11) Sun oldauntieBek 149
renegades mc (Jul '09) Nov 20 ready 94
west lib school Nov 19 parent 1
jonica beatty Nov 18 burned 1
Jonica Lloyd Nov 18 burned 3
Regis ? Nov 17 ava937 1
Springfield Dating
Find my Match

Springfield People Search