searching

Miamisburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2012

Anybody have an pictures of the rocket slide? Tried to explain to my daughter what it was like but not sure if I remember it accurately. Why'd they tear it down?
Bummer

Fairfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2012

searching wrote:
Anybody have an pictures of the rocket slide? Tried to explain to my daughter what it was like but not sure if I remember it accurately. Why'd they tear it down?
Totaly speculation and rumor but just like the large red slide that was similar down in snyder park...people were taking them apart piece by piece and scrapping the metal for cash until city finaly got tiard of replacing parts and took them down completely...I miss it ti< iam in my 30"s and remember it fondly ...I wish i cud show my children as well! if i come across a pic i will post it!
searching

Miamisburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2012

Same here ---- in my 30's and just can't quite convey how cool it really was. Is that turtle still down there? Haven't driven down there in a long time.
Bummer

Fairfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2012

the last time i was there...early last year the turtle was still there..a couple of soccer goals were set up to...atleast the space is being utilized! the hills are great for sledding ....next year of course! i dont want to jinx our wonderful winter this year! lol....
yep

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2012

The metal bottom of the slide was treacherously hot in spots and the end had a high drop off at one point in time. It was fun.
yep

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2012

Well, I guess I just grew and it seemed higher....
Bummer

Fairfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2012

the older i got it seemed as if the metal "ramp" to get to the top of the slide became harder to climb! and yes i agree it wud get very hot! lol...those were the days...Now at most city parks you are lucky if all the pieces are even usable! its very sad...i wish i had the $ to help improve the parks....but since i dont i guess i shouldnt run them the ground!
thomas

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2012

searching wrote:
found a pic of one just like it ,,dont think its the one in springfield cause i see water in the back ground,,,,,type in reid park rocket slide on google and go to images
Dan Cox

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2012

I found this picture of the rocket slide on the following facebook site. The turtle's in the picture as well.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Trail-... #!/photo.php?fbid=101504461613 27782&set=a.10150446161292 782.447337.170145142781&ty pe=3&theater
graffixx71

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2012

All of the playground equipment was destroyed because it was cheaper thn restoring due to lead paint.My friend works for parks and recreation and filled me in on this a few years ago
RodgerDodger

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2012

My husband said no, the turtle is no longer there. It's been gone for awhile, apparently.
patrick z

Zephyrhills, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

I just saw the pic...Gosh, memories. I remember climbing outside on the top of that t thing...what was I thinking!
Dave C

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

We had a rocket slide in South Chicago, 95th/st, Calumet Park Beach. It was awesome. I agree, wish my kids would've had a chance to experience it.
Code

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Is this the park by beaver lake? If so I remember that park well took my kids there all the time they loved it there. I hear it's a dog park now.
Reminisce

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Nope, that's Old Reid Park....but all the playground equipment is gone from there as well.
goodtimes

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

i remember the rocket slide that whole set up seemed giant to me when i was little we always had our family reunions there good times :/
hotttoddynyc

Thousand Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Does anyone know what Old reid park used to be before it was a park?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Canton 30,207
Remembering old bars.... (Jul '11) 16 hr bubba 146
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Wed Marvin Levels 188
unemployment Wed Thoughtful 3
Murders in Springfield (Jul '11) Tue Life 76
angel jennings Summer dancer Aug 18 Angel 7
Original Stores at the Upper Valley Mall (Dec '12) Aug 16 Aline Buck 7

Search the Springfield Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Springfield Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••