Curious about a 30 year old murder
FormerSummitGirl

Detroit, MI

#142 Jan 21, 2011
I remember Liz Blood, I believe she has passed away, and I recall rumors about her involvement in witchcraft. Very long time ago...
nvance

Paramus, NJ

#143 Jan 29, 2011
I was told about jeantte Depalma murder by her cousin Lisa . To this date nothing has been done right in the case. Lisa tried to get help from the show unsolve mystery she sent them a bunch of info on her . But they sent everything back because they had to many other cases. This is a out rage with all the new Dna they still can not find the person or persons that did this sick act to a child !!!!!
cindy

Toms River, NJ

#144 Jan 30, 2011
I agree.
lisa treich

Paramus, NJ

#145 Jan 31, 2011
I am Jeanettes cousin At the time of her death my Dad was living at her home. Me Jeanette and Cindy all hung out together we were very close. We were Jesus freaks at the time. We would hitch hike all over the place as it was the early 70's. When she disappeared I was back home in Englishtown. I had ran away a couple days earlier. The morning she dissapeared, myAunt & Uncle told her I took off & she was very upset cause nobody told her earlier. She left the house and went to hitch hike up mountainside avenue to work. That was the last time anyone had seen her. I finally got caught amonth or so later & everyone wanted to Know were Jeanette was. Continue nest comment.....
RanceM

Newark, NJ

#146 Mar 6, 2011
Tragic case. Having done about 3 hours worth of research including my introduction to it via Weird NJ Vol.2, I have a few theories myself. Granted I have no professional training, and haven't had access to any information google wasn't able to turn up.

The Author of the weird NJ article claims all the info he printed was not fabricated and the parts that were speculation were obvious.

Any possibility of an accidental overdose cannot be ignored, but unless she was alone, someone would have spilled the beans by now. Suicide is a possibility but no evidence to support that theory.

The Reverend James Tate sure seems pretty adamant that "Satanists" were involved, In two separate newspapers, in fact. In the first article he has crime scene information. He cites logs and branches being arranged in an occult manner. His second interview he proposes the theory she was kidnaped by satanists and killed when she began to lecture them on Christ.

Was springfield really this huge haven(Coven?) of Satanists in the Early 70's?

It sounded to me as if he was casting aspersions. A quick google search reveals The Reverend had two teenage sons at this time, Raymond, aged 16-18, and Wayne, age 15-17. I was unable to confirm exact ages. I like this better than the unnamed police chief and his sons unconfirmed suicide for pretty much the same theory put forth on them.

Does anyone know if the "His Place" Coffee shop is the same place as the community center In Elizabeth? And which facility was it the counselor's coordinator denied she worked at? Who was the "counselor's coordinator" ?

I decided to search google earth for the quarry where Jeanette was found, and I was able to locate what i believe to be the ridgeline, i had to go to historical views to find a winter shot , as I was unable to find a topo map and the heavy vegetation and angle of the sun made elevation very difficult to read. The ridgeline runs about roughly North/South for .25 of mile.

When I added some layers trying to get a date for the Construction of Route 78 and Mountainview road I wasn't surprised to see that the Evangel Baptist Church. Could this be the same church that The good reverend is pastor of?. The front door of which is no further than .25 miles of any part of that ridgeline, as the crow flies.

What's the phrase? "I'm just saying."
Caksman

Flemington, NJ

#147 Mar 21, 2011
RanceM,

Good Research on your part. I have been following this case online for quite a while and would like to see this case come to end as much as the next person.

The Question i wanted answered the most was what Jeanettes NORMAL Route to work...hitchhiking or not.
Did she Normally go out to Summit Road to head into work or did she normally cut through the backyards of the homes along Treetop road to get to Mountainview Road and then out to Shunpike?

Was Mountain view Road in existence at the time of the disappearance?

I Did a little research on the construction of interstate 78 and the nest i could come up with was from wikipedia (not the best source). This is what i found:

"The part of I-78 between exit 3 and exit 13 opened in the 1960s; this segment runs concurrent with US 22 with the old alignment of US 22 becoming Route 173. In building the road between CR 614 and exit 13, the eastbound lanes of US 22 became westbound I-78 and the westbound lanes of US 22 became the Route 173 frontage road. By 1969, I-78 had also been completed between exit 13 and CR 525.[11] In July 1963, New Jersey Governor Richard J. Hughes approved a plan to build I-78 through the city of Newark at a cost of $204,696,637. This plan had been opposed by several communities along the route.[12] The section of I-78 between Route 24 and the New Jersey Turnpike was completed in the mid 1970s.[13] Along this stretch, exit 56 was to connect to the proposed Route 75 freeway, which was never built.[14]

The section of freeway between CR 525 and Drift Road (Exit 41) in Watchung was completed in 1974. The section from Drift Road to Route 24 (Exit 48) in Springfield Township was delayed because of environmental impacts to the Watchung Reservation. In order to mitigate opposition to the original plan, that was shifted closer to the northern edge of the Reservation, which required extensive cuts into the Second Watchung Mountain. Extra land was added to the Nikesite Road overpass and a separate land bridge was built to allow for animal migration. The road was also designed to use a narrower right-of-way with no median strip and just a Jersey barrier dividing the highway, to minimize the amount rock to be removed. This stretch of I-78 opened in 1986.[15]

These are only a a few questions i would like to be filled in on. I an deeply interested in this case and would like to help as much as possible. Unfortunately, with me being born in '84, this event happened long before i was even born.
CoolHandDuke

Brooklyn, NY

#148 Jul 18, 2011
The people defending Cops in this thread are hilarious. Especially the so called "VoiceofReason" coming in here, engaging in tone arguments while criticizing everyone's spelling and grammar of all things like he has a legit argument. Gotta love the fresh smell of tone arguments in the morning. Like cops NEVER abuse their power or anything, totes not, they're all modern day MacGyvers...

BTW, My condolences to the family. I hope Jeanette DePalma rests in peace.
Cindy DePalma

Middlesex, NJ

#149 Jul 18, 2011
If anyone has any new thoughts or input please join in
RelativelySpeaki ng

Easton, PA

#150 Aug 7, 2011
Wow was always curious about this case after reading it on Weird NJ, one of my brother's sister's friends from Spfld was friends with her and told me they just don't know what happened. It's just unacceptable with the new technology today that this case should be ignored. So MANY cases have been solved after many years even before 1973. Someone should step up to the plate. If could I would but I dont have enough knowledge or wherewithall to know who to ask, where to go etc. Why was there no crime pictures taken? That's like criminal justice 101???
wanttohelp

Anderson, IN

#151 Aug 7, 2011
Cindy DePalma wrote:
Cindy,
I was only 10 when this happened and I believe I had siblings that went to OLL with Jeanette. I have some information. Please send me your e-mail address.
wanttohelp

Anderson, IN

#152 Aug 7, 2011
Cindy DePalma wrote:
I know for a fact that there were pictures taken of the scene. The Union County Prosecutor's office has them. I know someone who saw them back when it happened (Union County Coroner) and someone who saw them somewhere between 1987 and 1994 at the County. That's all I know. I thought I could find out more, but am unable to uncover anything else. I hope you find out more. I remember when it happened and have always wondered about it. I will pray that you find out the truth.
john

Muncie, IN

#153 Aug 19, 2011
Walter wrote:
I was a classmate of Jeanette and remember a few things if it helps any. She was found in the Quarry area. If my old memory serves me right the police needed the assistance of the Fire Department so you might want to contact them. As Rick stated in a earlier post a arm was found by a dog (I think) which started the search.
walter do you remember anyone who might have had a grudge against her?
john

Muncie, IN

#154 Aug 19, 2011
FormerSummitGirl wrote:
I remember Liz Blood, I believe she has passed away, and I recall rumors about her involvement in witchcraft. Very long time ago...
do you know what her story was? can you try to recall?
wanttohelp

East Brunswick, NJ

#156 Aug 20, 2011
One of Donna Bladis' brothers is still alive. His name is Richard Bladis. He moved out of Mountainside and now lives on Tunison Lane in Bridgewater, NJ. He is 57. I think you should contact him to find out what he knows about that night.
wanttohelp

East Brunswick, NJ

#157 Aug 20, 2011
Was the name given to you by the psychic, Mark?
FormerSummitGirl

Indianapolis, IN

#158 Aug 20, 2011
john wrote:
<quoted text> do you know what her story was? can you try to recall?
I was maybe 13 years old and I only recall hearing of Liz via gossip. I can't recall specific details about the rumors, just remember hearing of them.
Ross

United States

#159 Oct 8, 2011
Robert, This is your old Laurel Drive stickball teammate Ross. I'm so sorry about your Mom - I never knew (been in CA since '76). And, to the DePalma family - my deepest sympathies. My sister might have even known Jeanette. What year did she graduate?
John

Randolph, NJ

#160 Oct 27, 2011
what wrote:
I would like to thank weird NJ for doing this story. I know they published the truth but they also published stuff people wrote to them or said to them and the only lies are the ones that came from some of those people like that idiot Rick and his group of freinds. Read what he said on the phone, he contradicts himself many times.I also wish weird NJ would continue with this case, but this time they should allow family access to the letters and contacts they get about my aunt Jeanette
I dont thank them they put allot of bull in the articles and yes mark this is john i gave you the interview for the article and asked you to be tastefull with it... you guys did what i asked you not too..and dumped the family I dare you!!!(AS YOU SAY) you have simply made money from selling cheap magazines any leads you did get you must still have under your bed in a box ALONG WITH YOUR shitty HBO SHOW ....i have called your office many times and you or the other mark have not responded. STAY AWAY FROM THESE CHUMPS!!!! THEY ONLY WANT TO USE PEOPLE AND RECYCLE OLD STORIES...well oohhh thats how they make a living i forgot!!!
Mark Moran--Weird NJ

Maywood, NJ

#161 Oct 28, 2011
John wrote:
<quoted text> I dont thank them they put allot of bull in the articles and yes mark this is john i gave you the interview for the article and asked you to be tastefull with it... you guys did what i asked you not too..and dumped the family I dare you!!!(AS YOU SAY) you have simply made money from selling cheap magazines any leads you did get you must still have under your bed in a box ALONG WITH YOUR shitty HBO SHOW ....i have called your office many times and you or the other mark have not responded. STAY AWAY FROM THESE CHUMPS!!!! THEY ONLY WANT TO USE PEOPLE AND RECYCLE OLD STORIES...well oohhh thats how they make a living i forgot!!!
I don't really know what else you expect us to say about the case, John. We published all the facts we had, all that was known, and even some theories from local citizens. You seem to think that we are withholding additional evidence from you, which is not the case. There is no additional evidence and there hasn't been for over 30 years. If you think you know something we don't we'd love to hear it, you can write it down and send it to us. If your leads can be corroborated and they might advance the case then we may publish them. But we will not publish speculation or unfounded accusations by you or anyone else about this or any other crime. Until new reliable information arises, we have said all we have to say about this case. As far as your opinion about how your interview was handled goes, you were quoted exactly (from a taped conversation) and your thoughts were only a small part of the bigger picture. With all due respect to you and your family, we did not set out to chronicle your version of the story. Our goal was to present ALL the information we could find about the case. And I think we did a pretty damn good job of it, if I do say so myself.
mrsmac

Park Ridge, NJ

#162 Nov 2, 2011
I went to Union Catholic Girls High School in Scotch Plains. Jeanette Depalma was in my class. We were interviewed by the police on the following Monday after they found her missing. I thought she had gone to a dance at the school the Friday or Saturday before, not sure which day it was now. I can't believe they haven't solved this case in all this time. Poor Jeanette

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Surprise! parking permits now required on W. R... Apr 22 Mitch 1
Richard Weber Apr 18 Hehehe 2
Roselle Park paid Benches will increase homeles... Apr 16 Puccini 3
News NJ public schools can teach religions just don'... Apr 14 Mohamed the SOB 1
News Allegations of Islam Indoctrination in Public S... Apr 10 Simran 3
News Church vs. state: More than a battle of Christm... Apr 9 Christmas Cheers 3
Senator Stephen Sweeney and Alcoholic Mar '17 Horse 1

Springfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springfield Mortgages