District to trim school hours

District to trim school hours

There are 114 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from May 23, 2007, titled District to trim school hours. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Junior high students in Springfield Township will get out of school 50 minutes earlier as part of continued moves by the schools to cut costs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Mr Reality

United States

#102 May 23, 2007
FWIW wrote:
The problem and solution has been pretty obvious for over a decade -- but nobody has been willing to propose the necessary income tax increase.
Fortunately, Medina County has. But Medina County only has a handful of school districts within the county. Your larger counties with more school districts within them (like Summit and Cuyahoga) could not do something like what Medina did. Well, they could, but the amount that each county would get would make it a joke. Plus, Cuyahoga has the highest tax rate in the state.

I can not even begin to fathom how difficult it would be to change the system. But, unfortunately, the legislators in this state refuse to even try.
Springfield parent

AOL

#103 May 23, 2007
Mary wrote:
Well this is a disaster in the making. And just how will parents that work have to adjust their already stressful lives to make sure the kids are safe & at home .....what a cop out by the school administartion.
Well Mary, when you take away all the electives, because you cannot afford them, that leaves English, math, science and U.S. Studies and oh gym. For the kids who do not play an instrument or do not sing,(these programs might be up for the chopping block)this leaves three periods of study hall. Wood shop is already gone, as well as home ec./or family living. There are no typing classes, and no computer. So now you have 400 children sitting in mass study halls.
Sometimes when you make the decision not to support something, it ends up slapping you right back in the face. Besides, these are junior high kids, not kindergarten or early elementary. I don't support leaving any young child alone but believe me we have young children even now getting themselves on and off the buses.
Steve

Tallmadge, OH

#104 May 23, 2007
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, please read mine...the current system isn't working, there is no more funding coming, and Springfield has to solve its problem. Simple is not a bad concept. Hope is not a process. So, hoping a majority of legislators agrees with the Supreme Court in Ohio and comes to agreeance on a formula that fixes disparaties in school funding for over 600 school districts is a waste of time! I think the
solution is combining/eliminating school districts.
OK...Help me out here...exactly WHAT does this have to do with ANYTHING I said?
HMGG

AOL

#105 May 23, 2007
The Voice of Reason wrote:
The people of Barberton must be rolling all over the floor laughing that Springfield hired Pecko. The only thing Springfield can do is laugh that Barberton hired Dr Lolli and now has her gestapo ruining the high school.
Pecko was also involed in the Akron Public Schools educational system.
why

AOL

#106 May 23, 2007
I would like to know how much the district spent on the "parent broadcast" system. In my opinion, it was not something that the district should have spent money on. Newsletters are sufficient enough. Also, why is there a huge flat screen tv in the high school. I saw that when the schools were sending that DVD home with kids on why I should vote for the levy. Students that are open enrolled should now be sent back to their home schools, or their parents should start paying tuition like the Lake district does.
Reality

Erie, PA

#107 May 23, 2007
Maybe the problem with the levy failing is because the people of Springfield are finally tired of all of the BS that goes on. Like a special education teacher being arrested for inappropriate behavior with students, a school board member blackmailing a school official to quit, the school board members making more money than teachers by having 5 minute meetings that they get paid hundreds of dollars for while kids have to pay to play. Speaking of pay to play, the kids pay, the fans pay and the school district gets the money. Eventually every corrupt business goes down the tubes. Springfield needs to be broken down.
Mr Reality

Cleveland, OH

#108 May 24, 2007
why wrote:
I would like to know how much the district spent on the "parent broadcast" system. In my opinion, it was not something that the district should have spent money on. Newsletters are sufficient enough.
I disagree. Apparently, you do not have school-aged children. These parent-broadcast systems are a good idea for alerting parents of emergencies (closings, etc)-- especially when parents are quick to complain when they weren't notified of something in a "timely manner."
Newsletters for an emergency? Yeah, OK.
Mom in Springfield

AOL

#109 May 24, 2007
Springfield Resident wrote:
I have lived in the Springfield School District for fifteen (15) years now. I have two children attending the Springfield Schools, one in High School, the other in Elementary school. As a property owner in the district, this school levy would have increased my property taxes almost 300.00 a year! That makes my property taxes running close to 2,000.00/year! Unbelievable. It is hard enought to pay what we have to now and it would be nearly impossible to pay that amount of an increase if this levy passes! I will sell my home and move my children to a better school district for that amount of money. I have not seen any money put into the high school since my child has been attending there, and even before that! Right now, there is no working girls restroom in that school period! Oh, okay, I'm sorry it is our fault for not passing the levy right? I am outraged at the district trying to depend on the property owners to pay for their financial burden. If the school districts would stop depending on property owners to pay for their negligence on budgeting and turn to the state to begin with instead of depending solely on the property owners, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in presently! I feel that ever since we took on the open enrollment program, our expenses have of course tripled!!! We are not receiving enough money from the state to take on the number of students that are attending through open enrollment. I say, stop the open enrollment process now, and try to save what we can where we can! Does this make any sense to anyone? It just seems funny to me that our school district started spiraling out of control when this occurred! We need to have knowledgable board members who know how to budget and spend accordingly! What about closing down one of our 7 schools in the district? How much money will that save us? Why do we have a separate Kindgergarden, 3 Elementary Schools, One Intermediate School, a Jr High and High School! Do you think that maybe this is a little too many! How about our children who live her in the district? They are suffering because of our need to continue with open enrollment and expenses on 7 schools! Somebody, please, help our children that live here, by stopping the open enrollment process and get rid of one of the schools! Make sense??? Makes sense to me!
THANK YOU!! The taxes we pay already are killing us! There is no way we can afford more.

As for open enrollment, I have to say that I find it to be a blessing because I open enroll my child OUT of the Springfield District because of the education I have seen my nephews receive there. It is absolutely pathetic and now these stupid cuts will just make it worse. If they would close open enrollment across the state, I would homeschool with a virtual academy before I would ever send my child to the Springfield School system for any reason. These new cuts are just a prime example of how no one in the administration of the district really cares about the kids at all, just their stupid paychecks.

And before anyone says that Springfield is rated "excellent" all I can say is that they must be teaching the test and that's it, because the education my nephews have received from Springfield has been in no way "excellent".

THAT's why I won't vote for a levy with the current administration, NOT TO SEND A MESSAGE TO COLUMBUS!
Mom in Springfield

AOL

#110 May 24, 2007
Amazed wrote:
There was an article in the Southside Leader (not sure if the name is correct) paper and they did a audit of the books in Springfield. The article states that even though 26 teaching jobs were eliminated the cost of payroll and benefits increaded by $96,000. Everyone received a 3.25% pay increase. I think the admin and teachers and support staff need to think about a wage freeze and drop the millage, maybe then it would pass.
My point exactly. The adminstration here only cares about it's own paycheck, bottom line. I know we all are employed for a reason and need to support our families, but for a district the size we are and the situation we are in, the salaries are ridiculous and
need to be frozen. Otherwise, most of these people will be out of a job because the district will have to merge with another district, and last time I checked, Akron had a superintendent.

Oh, yeah, I also find it very convenient that Pecko has decided to "retire" as of July 1. He screwed things up to the point of no return and now is turning tail and running. To bad he didn't have the decency to do it 2 years ago...but I guess then we weren't talking about freezing his pay increases, huh?
Mom in Springfield

AOL

#111 May 24, 2007
What wrote:
So now we'll have unsupervised kids on the streets at 2:00 in the afternoon? So much for no child left behind. I don't think this is wise.
No, next thing you know there will be another levy on the ballot for police services to hire another officer.
Mom in Springfield

AOL

#112 May 24, 2007
Mother of 2 students wrote:
I wouldn't want to merge with Akron because I don't live in Akron. I moved to a township so I would NOT be in the city. We have our share of hilljacks riding four wheelers up our street, but no drive by's or drug selling on the corner.
No just meth houses all over the township.. I'm not kidding-check out the facts. We have a real problem here with meth houses.
But But

Shippingport, PA

#113 May 24, 2007
< would like to know how much the district spent on the "parent broadcast" system>

Good point, I would also like to see a detailed summary of EVERYTHING that they spend money on.

I'm sure it would be quite an eye opening experience. Chances of seeing copies of the real budget figures for any school district is pretty slim.
Get a Clue

Catonsville, MD

#114 May 24, 2007
"I'm sure it would be quite an eye opening experience. Chances of seeing copies of the real budget figures for any school district is pretty slim."

Do you have any idea what an idiotic thing that is to say?

ANYONE can get a copy of a detailed budget from ANY public school in Ohio. The budget is a PUBLIC RECORD. Give a call and make the request if you would like to see it.
boo boo

Shippingport, PA

#115 May 24, 2007
<Springfield is making its fifth attempt to secure additional property taxes for operations. Voters in the Summit County district have rejected the same proposal -- 9.48 mills for five years -- four times since May 2006.>

Time to mobilize the troops Springfield residents..

No means No.....

No matter how many times we have to go to the polls the answer will be the same.

I thought the administration would have been smarter (hehehe - right) to go zero for 5...
especially since it keeps getting voted down by two to one or three to one margins.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dave and Busters allowed to build in New Jersey Wed WackAMole 1
News Scott Leahy, 37, Avenel (Jul '07) Jul 26 Steve_TN 74
Curious about a 30 year old murder (Apr '06) Jul 22 Mountainside Kid 290
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Jul 22 dGo mneDad lyHo i... 71,943
News Police Investigate Incident Of Man Exposing Him... Jul 16 Private Parts 1
News New Jersey American Water to resume treating wa... (Apr '14) Jul 14 optimismo 5
News Despite Rumor, Party Candidates Win Primaries Jul 8 Bob K 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springfield Mortgages